Sign in with
Your question

Usb ports not working

Last response: in Windows 7
April 21, 2012 11:03:09 PM

Lately some of the usb ports of my computer are not working properly: any device connected to them is not recognized. The problem appeared after I tried unsuccessfully to recover data from a damaged usb stick using umptool2090. This is how the ports appear from the Device Manager (it's in Italian, but it should be understandable):

If I uninstall the usb controllers and re-install them automatically (using the device manager), the ports start working, but the problem reappears after rebooting. My motherboard is an Asus M2N78-LA (Violet6) and my operating system is Windows 7 home premium SP1. What can I do?

Thank you very much.

More about : usb ports working

a b $ Windows 7
April 22, 2012 1:37:34 AM

You can try and remove the USB devices upper and lower filters for the affected ports, if this does not work then you will have to reinstall the operating system. Note it is important that you delete only the USB upper and lower filters as deleting the wrong ones will make your operating system unrepairable, back up your data first.

To fix this problem, delete the UpperFilters registry value and the LowerFilters registry value. These values may cause access problems. To do this, follow these steps:

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate and then click the UpperFilters registry value. This value is located in the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Note If you receive an error when you try to delete the registry subkey, you may not have appropriate permissions to edit the subkey. run REGEDIT as the administrator.

After making the changes restart your computer.
April 24, 2012 4:54:43 PM

I followed your instructions and after that my computer was unable to boot. I used the recovery tools on the win7 dvd to restore the operating system and that seems to have solved also the problem with the usb ports. Everything looks fine now, thx.
April 25, 2012 12:52:50 PM

If a problem occurs on your computer after you install or update a driver, use Windows
Device Driver Rollback to replace the driver with the previously installed version.

1 Click the Start button and click Control Panel.

2 Under Pick a Category, click Performance and Maintenance.

3 Click System.

4 In the System Properties window, click the Hardware tab.

5 Click Device Manager.

6 Right-click the device for which the new driver was installed and click Properties.

7 Click the Drivers tab.

8 Click Roll Back Driver.

If Device Driver Rollback does not resolve the problem, then use System Restore to return your
computer to the operating state that existed before you installed the new driver.
!