I need some advice

Hello. I'm looking for a video card for my dad. He currently has a
Radeon 9700 Pro. He wants to get an NVidia card so he can use the stereo
3D in games. But I want to find him a card that won't break the bank, he
doesn't want to spend too much money. So what would be a good choice? The
card just has to be beter than a Radeon 9700, it doesn't have to scream, but
it should also be a decent upgrade in itself (ie, so he doesn't need a new
card in a year). He doesn't have much interest in anti-aliasing or
anything like that.

I'm having a heck of a time finding a Geforce 6600 that is AGP, yet costs
less than the GeForce 6800 that I bought at 250 dollars.

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:08:53 -0500, "magnulus"
<magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Hello. I'm looking for a video card for my dad. He currently has a
>Radeon 9700 Pro. He wants to get an NVidia card so he can use the stereo
>3D in games. But I want to find him a card that won't break the bank, he
>doesn't want to spend too much money. So what would be a good choice? The
>card just has to be beter than a Radeon 9700, it doesn't have to scream, but
>it should also be a decent upgrade in itself (ie, so he doesn't need a new
>card in a year). He doesn't have much interest in anti-aliasing or
>anything like that.
>
> I'm having a heck of a time finding a Geforce 6600 that is AGP, yet costs
>less than the GeForce 6800 that I bought at 250 dollars.

6600GT is about your best bet though so you better keep looking for
one or get pops to spring for a 6800. And it's not that a 9700pro
can't do 3D it's just that ATI are too lazy/won't write stereoscopic
drivers for it. Alternatively, you can get your Dad one of those new
Sharp monitors that display in 3D - no funky glasses needed.

"magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hello. I'm looking for a video card for my dad. He currently has a
> Radeon 9700 Pro. He wants to get an NVidia card so he can use the stereo
> 3D in games. But I want to find him a card that won't break the bank, he
> doesn't want to spend too much money. So what would be a good choice?
The
> card just has to be beter than a Radeon 9700, it doesn't have to scream,
but
> it should also be a decent upgrade in itself (ie, so he doesn't need a new
> card in a year). He doesn't have much interest in anti-aliasing or
> anything like that.
>
> I'm having a heck of a time finding a Geforce 6600 that is AGP, yet
costs
> less than the GeForce 6800 that I bought at 250 dollars.

are you looking for a video or sound card?

radeon 9700 pro is a video card, and you mention he wants stereo (sound) in
games.

shawk

Melketh wrote:
> "magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>
>> Hello. I'm looking for a video card for my dad. He currently has a
>>Radeon 9700 Pro. He wants to get an NVidia card so he can use the stereo
>>3D in games. But I want to find him a card that won't break the bank, he
>>doesn't want to spend too much money. So what would be a good choice?
>
> The
>
>>card just has to be beter than a Radeon 9700, it doesn't have to scream,
>
> but
>
>>it should also be a decent upgrade in itself (ie, so he doesn't need a new
>>card in a year). He doesn't have much interest in anti-aliasing or
>>anything like that.
>>
>> I'm having a heck of a time finding a Geforce 6600 that is AGP, yet
>
> costs
>
>>less than the GeForce 6800 that I bought at 250 dollars.
>>

> are you looking for a video or sound card?
>
> radeon 9700 pro is a video card, and you mention he wants stereo (sound) in
> games.

Nah, not sound. Stereo 3D makes the game you play appear in 3D - you
need special specs and an NVidia graphics card is recommended. Don't
know why - just exhausted my knowledge on the subject..

--
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

> Nah, not sound. Stereo 3D makes the game you play appear in 3D - you
> need special specs and an NVidia graphics card is recommended. Don't
> know why - just exhausted my knowledge on the subject..

You can also use ordinary red-blue 3D glasses, if like me you have an LCD
monitor.

It works OK, but I'd advise using an LCD with very good color accuracy
(better than the one I have). Otherwise you might get some wierd artifacts
with more 3D effect. Or you can get some more expensive red-cyan glasses
with better quality filters.

My dad has a CRT, so I'd just give him my shutter glasses.

Melketh wrote:
> "magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>
>> Hello. I'm looking for a **** video **** card for my dad. He currently has a
>

> are you looking for a video or sound card?
>
> radeon 9700 pro is a video card, and you mention he wants stereo (sound) in
> games.

The mind *boggles* sometimes.

"Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Melketh wrote:
> > "magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >
> >> Hello. I'm looking for a **** video **** card for my dad. He
currently has a

> > are you looking for a video or sound card?
> >
> > radeon 9700 pro is a video card, and you mention he wants stereo (sound)
in
> > games.
> >

> The mind *boggles* sometimes.

I got something totally confused, didn't I.

*note to self: more sleep, less drinking*

noman

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:08:53 -0500, "magnulus"
<magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>card just has to be beter than a Radeon 9700, it doesn't have to scream, but
>it should also be a decent upgrade in itself (ie, so he doesn't need a new
>card in a year).
>[snip]
> I'm having a heck of a time finding a Geforce 6600 that is AGP, yet costs
>less than the GeForce 6800 that I bought at 250 dollars.

You have to keep looking for 6600GT AGP version. ATI has a 256meg PCIe
card X800XL which is probably coming out this month. It's just like
X800XT but with slower clock speed and should perform on par with
6800GT. It's only $300. I hope it drives X800Pro AGP prices lower
which in turn will cause prices of 6800 non-ultra and 6600AGP to go
down a bit.
--
Noman

In article <RpdJd.93650$zy6.76866@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
magnulus <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:
# I'm having a heck of a time finding a Geforce 6600 that is AGP, yet costs
#less than the GeForce 6800 that I bought at 250 dollars.

I have no idea why, I had no problem finding and buying an XFX 6600GT
AGP for $213 and it doesn't have the 900MHz crippled memory that the
reference version has, it has the same 1GHz clock speed as the SLI-E
version.

Don't have any idea if it does 3D, but it's less than your ATI card.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Close the VT SVC Ctr boondoggle and
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | return services to local CIS offices!

It's me <me@here.noemail> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:08:53 -0500, "magnulus"
><magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello. I'm looking for a video card for my dad. He currently has a
>>Radeon 9700 Pro. He wants to get an NVidia card so he can use the stereo
>>3D in games. But I want to find him a card that won't break the bank, he
>>doesn't want to spend too much money. So what would be a good choice? The
>>card just has to be beter than a Radeon 9700, it doesn't have to scream, but
>>it should also be a decent upgrade in itself (ie, so he doesn't need a new
>>card in a year). He doesn't have much interest in anti-aliasing or
>>anything like that.
>>
>> I'm having a heck of a time finding a Geforce 6600 that is AGP, yet costs
>>less than the GeForce 6800 that I bought at 250 dollars.
>>

>6600GT is about your best bet though so you better keep looking for
>one or get pops to spring for a 6800. And it's not that a 9700pro
>can't do 3D it's just that ATI are too lazy/won't write stereoscopic
>drivers for it. Alternatively, you can get your Dad one of those new
>Sharp monitors that display in 3D - no funky glasses needed.

Somehow I think that would be a little more expensive than he's looking
for at ~$3000.

Looks pretty neat though.

Xocyll