I need some advice

Hello. I'm looking for a video card for my dad. He currently has a
Radeon 9700 Pro. He wants to get an NVidia card so he can use the stereo
3D in games. But I want to find him a card that won't break the bank, he
doesn't want to spend too much money. So what would be a good choice? The
card just has to be beter than a Radeon 9700, it doesn't have to scream, but
it should also be a decent upgrade in itself (ie, so he doesn't need a new
card in a year). He doesn't have much interest in anti-aliasing or
anything like that.

I'm having a heck of a time finding a Geforce 6600 that is AGP, yet costs
less than the GeForce 6800 that I bought at 250 dollars.
9 answers Last reply
More about advice

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:08:53 -0500, "magnulus"
    <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    > Hello. I'm looking for a video card for my dad. He currently has a
    >Radeon 9700 Pro. He wants to get an NVidia card so he can use the stereo
    >3D in games. But I want to find him a card that won't break the bank, he
    >doesn't want to spend too much money. So what would be a good choice? The
    >card just has to be beter than a Radeon 9700, it doesn't have to scream, but
    >it should also be a decent upgrade in itself (ie, so he doesn't need a new
    >card in a year). He doesn't have much interest in anti-aliasing or
    >anything like that.
    >
    > I'm having a heck of a time finding a Geforce 6600 that is AGP, yet costs
    >less than the GeForce 6800 that I bought at 250 dollars.

    6600GT is about your best bet though so you better keep looking for
    one or get pops to spring for a 6800. And it's not that a 9700pro
    can't do 3D it's just that ATI are too lazy/won't write stereoscopic
    drivers for it. Alternatively, you can get your Dad one of those new
    Sharp monitors that display in 3D - no funky glasses needed.

    "magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Hello. I'm looking for a video card for my dad. He currently has a
    > Radeon 9700 Pro. He wants to get an NVidia card so he can use the stereo
    > 3D in games. But I want to find him a card that won't break the bank, he
    > doesn't want to spend too much money. So what would be a good choice?
    The
    > card just has to be beter than a Radeon 9700, it doesn't have to scream,
    but
    > it should also be a decent upgrade in itself (ie, so he doesn't need a new
    > card in a year). He doesn't have much interest in anti-aliasing or
    > anything like that.
    >
    > I'm having a heck of a time finding a Geforce 6600 that is AGP, yet
    costs
    > less than the GeForce 6800 that I bought at 250 dollars.

    are you looking for a video or sound card?

    radeon 9700 pro is a video card, and you mention he wants stereo (sound) in
    games.

    Melketh wrote:
    > "magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> Hello. I'm looking for a video card for my dad. He currently has a
    >>Radeon 9700 Pro. He wants to get an NVidia card so he can use the stereo
    >>3D in games. But I want to find him a card that won't break the bank, he
    >>doesn't want to spend too much money. So what would be a good choice?
    >
    > The
    >
    >>card just has to be beter than a Radeon 9700, it doesn't have to scream,
    >
    > but
    >
    >>it should also be a decent upgrade in itself (ie, so he doesn't need a new
    >>card in a year). He doesn't have much interest in anti-aliasing or
    >>anything like that.
    >>
    >> I'm having a heck of a time finding a Geforce 6600 that is AGP, yet
    >
    > costs
    >
    >>less than the GeForce 6800 that I bought at 250 dollars.
    >>

    > are you looking for a video or sound card?
    >
    > radeon 9700 pro is a video card, and you mention he wants stereo (sound) in
    > games.

    Nah, not sound. Stereo 3D makes the game you play appear in 3D - you
    need special specs and an NVidia graphics card is recommended. Don't
    know why - just exhausted my knowledge on the subject..

    --
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
    conscientious stupidity."

    Martin Luther King, Jr.

    > Nah, not sound. Stereo 3D makes the game you play appear in 3D - you
    > need special specs and an NVidia graphics card is recommended. Don't
    > know why - just exhausted my knowledge on the subject..

    You can also use ordinary red-blue 3D glasses, if like me you have an LCD
    monitor.

    It works OK, but I'd advise using an LCD with very good color accuracy
    (better than the one I have). Otherwise you might get some wierd artifacts
    with more 3D effect. Or you can get some more expensive red-cyan glasses
    with better quality filters.

    My dad has a CRT, so I'd just give him my shutter glasses.

    Melketh wrote:
    > "magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> Hello. I'm looking for a **** video **** card for my dad. He currently has a
    >

    > are you looking for a video or sound card?
    >
    > radeon 9700 pro is a video card, and you mention he wants stereo (sound) in
    > games.

    The mind *boggles* sometimes.

    "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Melketh wrote:
    > > "magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> Hello. I'm looking for a **** video **** card for my dad. He
    currently has a

    > > are you looking for a video or sound card?
    > >
    > > radeon 9700 pro is a video card, and you mention he wants stereo (sound)
    in
    > > games.
    > >

    > The mind *boggles* sometimes.

    I got something totally confused, didn't I.

    *note to self: more sleep, less drinking*

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:08:53 -0500, "magnulus"
    <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >card just has to be beter than a Radeon 9700, it doesn't have to scream, but
    >it should also be a decent upgrade in itself (ie, so he doesn't need a new
    >card in a year).
    >[snip]
    > I'm having a heck of a time finding a Geforce 6600 that is AGP, yet costs
    >less than the GeForce 6800 that I bought at 250 dollars.

    You have to keep looking for 6600GT AGP version. ATI has a 256meg PCIe
    card X800XL which is probably coming out this month. It's just like
    X800XT but with slower clock speed and should perform on par with
    6800GT. It's only $300. I hope it drives X800Pro AGP prices lower
    which in turn will cause prices of 6800 non-ultra and 6600AGP to go
    down a bit.
    --
    Noman

    In article <RpdJd.93650$zy6.76866@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
    magnulus <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    # I'm having a heck of a time finding a Geforce 6600 that is AGP, yet costs
    #less than the GeForce 6800 that I bought at 250 dollars.

    I have no idea why, I had no problem finding and buying an XFX 6600GT
    AGP for $213 and it doesn't have the 900MHz crippled memory that the
    reference version has, it has the same 1GHz clock speed as the SLI-E
    version.

    Don't have any idea if it does 3D, but it's less than your ATI card.

    Ken.
    Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Close the VT SVC Ctr boondoggle and
    WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | return services to local CIS offices!

    It's me <me@here.noemail> looked up from reading the entrails of the
    porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:08:53 -0500, "magnulus"
    ><magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Hello. I'm looking for a video card for my dad. He currently has a
    >>Radeon 9700 Pro. He wants to get an NVidia card so he can use the stereo
    >>3D in games. But I want to find him a card that won't break the bank, he
    >>doesn't want to spend too much money. So what would be a good choice? The
    >>card just has to be beter than a Radeon 9700, it doesn't have to scream, but
    >>it should also be a decent upgrade in itself (ie, so he doesn't need a new
    >>card in a year). He doesn't have much interest in anti-aliasing or
    >>anything like that.
    >>
    >> I'm having a heck of a time finding a Geforce 6600 that is AGP, yet costs
    >>less than the GeForce 6800 that I bought at 250 dollars.
    >>

    >6600GT is about your best bet though so you better keep looking for
    >one or get pops to spring for a 6800. And it's not that a 9700pro
    >can't do 3D it's just that ATI are too lazy/won't write stereoscopic
    >drivers for it. Alternatively, you can get your Dad one of those new
    >Sharp monitors that display in 3D - no funky glasses needed.

    Somehow I think that would be a little more expensive than he's looking
    for at ~$3000.

    Looks pretty neat though.

    Xocyll

PC gaming Video Games