Going to be kind of slow for awhile...

The next big action games are a few weeks off, so it is going to be
slow for awhile. You can tell this by the level of noise posts going on
(it isn't trolling, it is obnoxious noise for the purpose of being
obnoxious).
I started The Suffering before the Doom 3/Half Life 2/Riddick series
of releases but put it aside while playing through those other
releases. It was pretty good at the time but the controls took some
getting used to. The graphics are not bad, quite good in some areas,
but not to Doom 3/HL2/Riddick/Far Cry levels. It has checkpoint saves
as well as quick saves, a good combination.
I started back up on The Suffering and finished it recently. If you
haven't tried it, it is definitely worth getting, especially since it
is probably at discounted prices now and it was a bargain priced game
when it came out. Where it excels is in atmosphere plus there is a
genuine story developing as you play.
It is mainly a third person shooter but it also has a first person
mode, either which can be selected and deselected at any time. Some
areas, it is an advantage to be in first person and others are better
for third person. It did CTD a couple of times and it went unstable if
you tried flushing the toilets. Just don't flush the toilets because it
doesn't do anything. There is one place where it is necessary to turn
on a water faucet, though.
There are a few puzzles, not too hard but challenging in a few places.
It is a fairly linear progression but it isn't on rails, and the
terrains can be traversed pretty openly, the only problem is that it
can be easy to get lost in a few places.
There is an extra CD with a lot of background about the real island
prison and its history, quite interesting and informative. This game
can be quite scary, with elements of just horror mixed with
psychological terror. Maybe the tieing together of the developing story
line at the end won't be totally satisfying, possibly somewhat hokey
but everything does get explained, why you ended up in prison and what
happened to explain the series of flashbacks and hallucinations.
Also, as you complete certain levels or encounters, a couple of
scrapbooks open up extra content, with more background on the creatures
and backgrounds of areas. The Suffering is well named and must have
done fairly well, there was recent news that work on The Suffering 2 is
coming along. I will be looking forward to the sequel.

Blig Merk wrote:

> The next big action games are a few weeks off, so it is going to be
> slow for awhile.

Ahhhh. So THAT'S why you're panic-trolling about the Xbox 2 in
alt.games.video.xbox and alt.games.video.sony-playstation2. Right after you
make a "see, I'm just a reg'lar old user like anyone else, no trollin' by
me, nuh uh" post in this group. If you were any more transparent you'd be
invisible. Unfortunately people would still be able to smell you.

> You can tell this by the level of noise posts going
> on (it isn't trolling, it is obnoxious noise for the purpose of being
> obnoxious).

Bligmerk: a black hole from which even irony cannot escape.

-Z-

> The Suffering is well named and must have
> done fairly well, there was recent news that work on The Suffering 2 is
> coming along. I will be looking forward to the sequel.

Bit of trivia...it was originally titled Unspeakable. Check out the
savegames. About a third of the way into the game there is also mention of
"The Unspeakable" in some dialogue (I believe you hear it over the radio).
Overall, the game was a fun ride. Gritty, much like Riddick, but I felt the
weapons were a little off, however. The sporadic flashbacks on the screen of
Torque's *demon* were a nice touch. They usually happened when you stopped
the action for a few seconds.

Good to hear there's a sequel in the works. GameSpot is only reporting Xbox
and PS2 versions for now, but hopefully they'll port it to PC.

- f_f