Do ANY games really benefit from 1 gig sys ram?

Fred600600 wrote:
> Do ANY games really benefit from 1 gig sys ram?

The main benefit comes from being able to use the highest video
settings on games like Doom 3 and Far Cry and anything else out there
considering you have a decent video card to begin with.

Fred600600 wrote:
> Do ANY games really benefit from 1 gig sys ram?

Yeah, FarCry stuttered like mad before I upgraded. Probably it would've
been OK with adding another 256, but why not go whole hog?

GS.

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:34:24 -0500, Fred600600
<Fred600600@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Do ANY games really benefit from 1 gig sys ram?

HELL, YES! Trying playing EQ2 with anything less than 1GB. WoW also
works better and so does Vampire. I'm sure there are a ton of others
as well.

--
Rob Berryhill

In article <ngfbv0pad1148tng1qtvf26eq0sgo7vpei@4ax.com>, Fred600600
@hotmail.com says...

> Do ANY games really benefit from 1 gig sys ram?

LOMAC. Stuttered when I had 512MB, smooth when I added another stick
of 512MB.

Cheers,
Rod.

Andrew

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:34:24 -0500, Fred600600
<Fred600600@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Do ANY games really benefit from 1 gig sys ram?

HL2 and BF1942 are two that I know of. Probably several others.

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:34:24 -0500, Fred600600
<Fred600600@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Do ANY games really benefit from 1 gig sys ram?

OF COURSE THEY DO! In fact 2 gigs is catching my eye lately. A friend
of mine added another stick of 1 gig and its worth it.

512megs is like 128 to me now. Any gamer should START with 1 gig.
IMHO.

Pluvious

Fred600600 wrote:
> Do ANY games really benefit from 1 gig sys ram?

All games can benefit from more ram since theres no need to compete with
system processes for physical (fast) memory.

Games==Programmes.

More RAM the better.

schrodinger

"Fred600600" <Fred600600@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Do ANY games really benefit from 1 gig sys ram?

I went from 512 to 768, then to 1GB - noticed a big improvement every time
in games - especially BF1942 and its mods.

Fred600600 wrote:
> Do ANY games really benefit from 1 gig sys ram?

I certainly noticed improvement with Morrowind.

--
best regards, mat
np: [winamp not running]

www.pdxshows.net

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:34:24 -0500, Fred600600 <Fred600600@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Do ANY games really benefit from 1 gig sys ram?

I noticed a big difference with Doom 3.

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:34:24 -0500, Fred600600
<Fred600600@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Do ANY games really benefit from 1 gig sys ram?

Oh, yes. I noticed when I went from 512 to 1 gig that the load times
in UT2004 were greatly reduced. And it also gives me my system back
much quicker when I exit the game.

Crash7
remove x's from address to email

Thusly Fred600600 <Fred600600@hotmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>Do ANY games really benefit from 1 gig sys ram?

Missed my "Riddick is a load-screen hell" thread, did you?

Must have, sorry.... thanks all for the feedback.. very good group!!!

Kevin

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:30:38 +0100, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly Fred600600 <Fred600600@hotmail.com> Spake Unto All:
>
>>Do ANY games really benefit from 1 gig sys ram?
>
>Missed my "Riddick is a load-screen hell" thread, did you?

Yes, Doom 3. 512MB worked fine except whenever I went through a new
doorway the first time, there was a brief video pause or two a moment
later. It didn't make the game unplayable by any means, but it did kill
immersion (and in Doom 3 it's all about immersion).

Went to 1G and it went away. Went to 2G and noticed no difference at
all. CoD didn't care it ran great in 512MB. Same with Wolfie.

HF

"Fred600600" <Fred600600@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Do ANY games really benefit from 1 gig sys ram?

Recommend that you search the Hardware web sites like Anandtech, Tom, ...
I seem to recall awhile back that 1gb of RAM didn't do a whole lot for pc
games. One of the sites showed a graph of 128mb - 256mb - 512mb - 1gb
RAM. While there's a huge increase in performance boost in 256 & 512,
there wasn't much gain in going to 1gb.

However, like I said this was awhile back. Maybe a year ago? Some of the
new games coming out like Doom 3 & HL2 are probably breaking all the rules.
It would be nice to see benchmarks of the latest games using 512mb vs 1gb.

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/index.php
http://www.anandtech.com/
http://www.tomshardware.com/

BTW I've seen this question posted in several of the HardWare Forums.
Seems like some folks didn't notice any kind of improvement while others
claim to see a big gain.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?act=ST&f=29&t=6987&st=0&#entry56503
http://forums.tweaktown.com/archive/index.php/t-18267.html

redbrick

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

I've got 2 gigs and Doom3 will go past the 1 gig mark....it's crazy. I can't
wait till microsoft word follows....

Redbrick...who loves his CLK