My network shows two ssid addresses

Jul 10, 2012
My church has a AT&T wired modem and a Netgear Wireless router. Pastors office is on other side of church and he is losing signal occassionally. His network is showing two SSID addressed cgcg cgcg2. Can one of these be deleted and could this be the cause

Could be, esp. if the two SSIDs are using the same channels. But simply deleting one of the SSIDs is premature until you find out WHY there are two. Somebody set this up, so somebody must know. Perhaps one is a repeater. Or perhaps one is a guest network. You need to find out for sure before taking any actions that might inadvertently bring down the entire network!

Jul 10, 2012

Thank you. I am not well versed on networking, just mainly computer systems hardware and laser jet printers, but I do understand what you are talking about and sounds logical. It is not a big network, just the secretary has a wired at&t modem and a Netgear Router and the Pastor in his office a laptop and wireless printer that he said also has issues.

I will investigate what you said before deleting anything.

G

I'm going to go with Area51 on this one. My in-laws have a dual-band router and there are two networks visible with SSIDs similar to your situation. In his case it's also a dual-band Netgear router and his networks are name and name2. If you can connect to either network you may determine that one is more reliable than the other. Given the same EIRP a 2.4Ghz network will have better range than a 5Ghz network. You may even be able to set the router to single-band mode in your troubleshooting as an additional method to narrow down the problem.