Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problem loading windows services

Last response: in Windows 7
April 22, 2012 4:51:20 AM

Hi. I was in the middle of uninstalling a bunch of software that was slowing down my netbook including ESET Nod 32, and I probably ran Ccleaner after that. After restarting the system windows 7 boots fine, but no Aero, can't run most windows service like sound, wifi, restore points, sfc, or even system restore when booting the netbook using f8 to restore windows from the recovery partition. .exe extension works fine as I was able to run assoc command in cmd and confirmed it. The recovery partition is there and I haven't tampered with it so its safe to rule out that possibility. Something mesed up my windows services and I can't get it to work anymore :( 

Edit: The system is a netbook that didn't come with a recovery disk and no dvd rom.

I tried to look in the forums for another topic with my same problem but I couldn't find any. I apologize in advance if this problem has already been solved.

*tl;dr: After uninstalling software and running ccleaner windows aero, sfc, system restore, and other windows services won't work. .exe still works fine.*

Please help!

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
April 22, 2012 3:14:24 PM

Your first mistake is running CC cleaner
NEVER install free software from the internet, that promises to "fix" or "clean" your computer.
You will need to recover your personal files, and start over again, probably.

Delete all free junk software FIRST! do not install it again.
Insert the win 7 disk in the computer and select "upgrade."
The upgrade will restore the default OS, without erasing your personal files.
April 22, 2012 3:40:46 PM

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately the computer is a netbook so it didn't come with a recovery disk or even a dvd rom = /. Is there a way to fix the windows services so I can at least continue with a successful system restore from the hidden partition?
m
l
Related resources
April 23, 2012 12:08:35 AM

soundguruman said:
Your first mistake is running CC cleaner
NEVER install free software from the internet, that promises to "fix" or "clean" your computer.
You will need to recover your personal files, and start over again, probably.

Delete all free junk software FIRST! do not install it again.
Insert the win 7 disk in the computer and select "upgrade."
The upgrade will restore the default OS, without erasing your personal files.

Thank you for the advice. This is the second time I get screwed because of registry cleaners. I should really stop using them. I remembered that I disabled Toshiba's create a recovery media utility from the startup entries in msconfig so I just re-enabled that, created a recovery usb drive and recovered the system from there.
m
l
April 23, 2012 12:08:48 AM

Best answer selected by phatsnake.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 23, 2012 5:50:02 AM

phatsnake said:
Thank you for the advice. This is the second time I get screwed because of registry cleaners. I should really stop using them. I remembered that I disabled Toshiba's create a recovery media utility from the startup entries in msconfig so I just re-enabled that, created a recovery usb drive and recovered the system from there.

The funny thing about manufacturers who make backup partitions,
they never tell you how to use them...clever.
And they just eat up drive space.

The thing is that win 7 will run fine without all that free cleaner crap.
m
l
!