Master/Slave suggestions needed

LeftCoaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2002
I'm confused by Master and Slave choices, especially for the CDRW and DVD drives. I'm a first time PC builder.

It's a P41.6A system with an Asus P4S533 motherboard. I have 3 drives. Hard drive - Western Digital WD800JB. DVD drive - Toshiba 16X. CDRW - Lite On 40x12x48.

I understand the hard drive should be the master on the primary IDE cable.

What is the preferred way to connect the DVD and CDRW drives? Do they both get connected to the secondary IDE cable? If so, which one should be master and which one slave?

Or should I make one of them, the CDRW or DVD, a slave to the hard drive? If so, which one?

Please share your reasons for your suggestions.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Leftcoaster on 07/20/02 03:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
This is a link to a PDF file <A HREF="http://sony.storagesupport.com/cdrw/downloads/IDE Config Guide_oz.PDF" target="_new">IDE Drive Configuration Guide</A> that will help.

<font color=purple><b>An average human brain weights aprox. 3lbs., but a thought weights a load.</font color=purple></b>

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
It's that time to post a previous thread! :smile:

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=30911#30911" target="_new">Primary or Secondary IDE channel for CD writer?</A>

Gotta love Toey... :smile:

By the way, the floppy drive doesn't really count with all that, because it goes on it's own separate connector, as opposed to the IDE connectors.

Bryan
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A> isn't going to go down. I will stay alive. :smile: To keep updated about the future move my host will undertake, keep your eye on my <A HREF="http://btvillarin.fateback.com" target="_new">official btvillarin.com status site</A> and sign up for my mailing list.

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
HDD = Master on Primary (that one is for sure)
For the CD-ROM and CD-RW, you should put the one you use the most as Master. If you frequently do a CD-to-CD copy, it is recommended that the source and the destination be not on the same channel, but since there are no third channel and I assume that you use your CD-ROM more often, try CD-ROM as Master on Secondary and CD-RW as Slave on Secondary.

My favorite setting is the following :
System HDD = Master on Primary
Data HDD = Master on Secondary
DVD-ROM = Slave on Primary
CD-RW = Slave on Secondary
...and everything works perfectly.

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>

pcilliterate

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2001
Put your Western Digital WD800JB as primary master, then your DVD drive - Toshiba 16X as primary slave, place your Lite On 40x12x48 as secondary master. The flopy just does the floppy thing so it is irelivant.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Yeah, but that LiteOn CDR/RW is gonna be burn proof so he should haven any buffer underrun problems with it in slave mode. I would just say don't write to the CDR/RW from the HD on the same IDE channel, that would still suck I guess.

LeftCoaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2002
I'm still confused. Though maybe less so. I read the pdf and prior thread.

My HD will be master on the primary IDE cable.

Guess the Lite On CDRW, with burn proof, will be master on the secondary IDE cable.

I remain confused on whether to slave the DVD to IDE 1 or 2?

I'm a real estate broker. My primary use for the CDRW is to back up my business data and to make marketing cds with real estate virtual tours to give away to clients and customers.

Copying music cds for my own use will be nice to do. It's less important to me, on this computer, than my business use described above.

Does this information help in the decision whether the DVD should slave to IDE 1 or 2?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Leftcoaster on 07/19/02 03:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>