DNF imminent ...

"One Punch Mickey" <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> writes:

> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=6412

Fans: We love Duke! Let's make a game with Duke in it!

3DRealms: Screw you -- if we can't make a game with Duke in it,
neither can you. Nyaaaah!

What a bunch of losers they are over at 3D Realms. They've gone from
making a game to suing people who are tired of waiting for the
game. Weak.

Nick

--
# sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')

Nick Vargish wrote:
> "One Punch Mickey" <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> writes:
>

>>http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=6412
>

> Fans: We love Duke! Let's make a game with Duke in it!
>
> 3DRealms: Screw you -- if we can't make a game with Duke in it,
> neither can you. Nyaaaah!
>
> What a bunch of losers they are over at 3D Realms. They've gone from
> making a game to suing people who are tired of waiting for the
> game. Weak.

I'd say the opposite was true. Here's why.

First of all, 3d Realms has to protect its copyrights. That's not a
matter of maintaining a fan base, or "good relations." It's a function
of copyright law. If someone uses your material without your permission,
and you _don't_ try to protect it, then it's harder to convince a court
to help you protect your copyright elsewhere. Gamers can complain all
they want about fair use, about paying homage to a great game, and how
their mod's not out there to make money... but this is a fact about
copyright law.

As far as "losers" are concerned... well, let's look at the people
making the Duke mod. Here are people who were prepared to spent hours
and hours of time remaking an old computer game in the engine of
another. They weren't trying to create a _new_ game. They weren't trying
to create a simple deathmatch level. They weren't even trying to
simulate a movie in a mod, a la the _Star Wars_ mods. And this wasn't a
mod that was likely to boost any of 3dRealms's sales-- in fact, if
anyone else felt a burning desire to play the mod, Valve'd get the
money, not 3Realms. These kids wanted to run the original Duke under
Source-- for what reason, I just can't fathom. And when one can run Duke
anyway, what's the point?

This isn't like creating a version of Pac-Man for Windows, or recreating
Pong for a Unix system. Those don't take tremendous expenditures of time
and effort, and can even be engaging programming exercises. And some of
those old-school games are so old that seeing them _again_ has some
novelty value. Doesn't apply here.

The only thing even _less_ ambitious is the project to recreate the
original Doom levels within the new Doom3 engine. The original Doom
engine was great for its time, but why recreate the original's limited
levels in such an advanced engine?

But it's the pointlessness of the job, and the lack of ambition on the
part of this bunch of gamers, that indicates to me that they're probably
more deserving of the title "loser."

By the way, the fact that 3dRealms has taken so long on DNF has
_nothing_ to do with this. Their delays don't strip them of any
copyrights they hold.

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:27:40 -0500, Nick Vargish <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org>
wrote:

>"One Punch Mickey" <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=6412
>
>Fans: We love Duke! Let's make a game with Duke in it!
>
>3DRealms: Screw you -- if we can't make a game with Duke in it,
> neither can you. Nyaaaah!
>
>What a bunch of losers they are over at 3D Realms. They've gone from
>making a game to suing people who are tired of waiting for the
>game. Weak.

It's one thing to protect your IP but another to piss on your fan base.

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:28:14 -0500, Brian Siano <siano@mail.med.upenn.edu>
wrote:

<massive snip>

>By the way, the fact that 3dRealms has taken so long on DNF has
>_nothing_ to do with this. Their delays don't strip them of any
>copyrights they hold.

Perhaps just their credibility then?

Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> writes:

> I heard that's actually a fallacy that came about when people confused
> copyrights with trademarks. I've never seen any evidence for it.

Duke might be one of their trademarks, but Brian's points aside, I
think 3DRealms will do themselves more harm than good with this
action.

Nick

--

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, "One Punch Mickey" wrote:

> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=6412

very well done!
the happy good new of the day!
yeah! duke nukem "NUKES" valve's ass big time!!!!
steam lovers dreamed about duke nukem forever being only a hl2 mod
steam lovers are thieves!
yeah! the steam lovers scumbags wanted to rip off 3drealms but duke
showed them who's the boss!
i bet valve was also behind it... i'm sure they are
valve wants every pc game expect the ones coming from them to become
mods of their own engines
valve want to destroy every pc game, so the pc gaming world would be
hl2 and mods for it

3drealms we will wait whatever it takes for the new duke nukem game!
3drealms rules! 3drealms rocks!
and like duke would say:
"those valve bastards will pay for trying to shoot up my ride"
cause when duke nukem forever will be release it will pulverize hl2!!!

ps: people flamed me in your previous thread cause you are not supposed
to be a steam lover, but who would want the next duke nukem game be a
hl2 mod if not a steam lover!!!!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

Maybe 3D Realms is afraid that the remake w/HL2 engine will have better
graphics, gameplay, and physics than their title.
Muhahahaha!
- Richard Hutnik

Brian Siano <siano@mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote:
>Nick Vargish wrote:
>> "One Punch Mickey" <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> writes:
>>

>>>http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=6412
>>

>> Fans: We love Duke! Let's make a game with Duke in it!
>>
>> 3DRealms: Screw you -- if we can't make a game with Duke in it,
>> neither can you. Nyaaaah!
>>
>> What a bunch of losers they are over at 3D Realms. They've gone from
>> making a game to suing people who are tired of waiting for the
>> game. Weak.
>
>I'd say the opposite was true. Here's why.
>
>First of all, 3d Realms has to protect its copyrights. That's not a
>matter of maintaining a fan base, or "good relations." It's a function
>of copyright law. If someone uses your material without your permission,
>and you _don't_ try to protect it, then it's harder to convince a court
>to help you protect your copyright elsewhere.

I heard that's actually a fallacy that came about when people confused
copyrights with trademarks. I've never seen any evidence for it.

I would find another crystal meth supplier mate. It sounds like you're
getting some bad stuff there.

"One Punch Mickey" <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> ... or maybe not zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
>
> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=6412

Possibly because their mod would be far better than
the game they _may_ eventually publish. I mean, George's
recent pleading for ideas for the game makes him the Gil
the Salesman of gaming:

"Hey there, anyone got any leads for ol' Gil? I can almost
taste that game! Aw! Come on, help out old Gil! Cha
cha cha cha!"

P.

I heard old George is close to a deal to license the Half Life 2 Physics
engine!
That should only delay the game 2 more years.

Hurrah!

"One Punch Mickey" <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> ... or maybe not zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
>
> http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=6412

Andrew

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:27:16 -0500, "Zimmy" <zimmy@msn.com> wrote:

>I heard old George is close to a deal to license the Half Life 2 Physics
>engine!
>That should only delay the game 2 more years.

Do you mean licensing the Havok engine that HL2 uses? Do you have a
source for that because about 2 months ago they announced they were
going to be using another commercial physics engine (can't remember
the name) that fits right in with their existing engine.

Nick Vargish wrote:
> Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> writes:
>

>>I heard that's actually a fallacy that came about when people confused
>>copyrights with trademarks. I've never seen any evidence for it.
>

> Duke might be one of their trademarks, but Brian's points aside, I
> think 3DRealms will do themselves more harm than good with this
> action.

Disagree. It's in their interest to stop others abusing their material.

One Punch Mickey wrote:
> I would find another crystal meth supplier mate. It sounds like
you're
> getting some bad stuff there.

ROFLCOPTER!!!

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
<snip>
> ps: people flamed me in your previous thread cause you are not supposed
> to be a steam lover, but who would want the next duke nukem game be a
> hl2 mod if not a steam lover!!!!
>
> --

You really are letting people get you all steamed up.

Take a deep breathe.
Let it out.
Turn off the pc.
Go outside and play some tennis, football, or basketball.

You all do play basketball down under right?

Andrew

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 08:23:04 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
wrote:

>You all do play basketball down under right?

Is that a euphemism for something? ;-)

Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:27:16 -0500, "Zimmy" <zimmy@msn.com> wrote:
>
>>I heard old George is close to a deal to license the Half Life 2 Physics
>>engine!
>>That should only delay the game 2 more years.
>
>Do you mean licensing the Havok engine that HL2 uses? Do you have a
>source for that because about 2 months ago they announced they were
>going to be using another commercial physics engine (can't remember
>the name) that fits right in with their existing engine.

Meqon. There's an article about it linked from the article the OP linked
to.

Xocyll