Floppy Drive not working properly

ATILLA

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Hello Everyone.
J'm facing a serious problem with my Floppy Drive.
The thing is that when j try to copy something to a floppy disk j get a lot of Blue screen's of death, which say:
"Disk write Error"
"Unable to write to the disk in drive A:"
"Data or files may be lost."

Somethimes j receive and windows error messages like:
"Cannot Copy"
"The disk is write protected."
"Remove the write-protection or use another disk."

Says about the write protection but the disk is not write protecded at all???
J tried 15 diferenet floppy disks like "Verbatim", "Sony", "Basf" and in every case it's the same thing, errors all the way. J tried these floppy disks on other PC and they work fine.
J tried to clean the Floppy Drive but it didn't help at all, j tried to change the power cable, and the FDD cable, but still the same thing???
At last j bought a new NEC Floppy Drive and j thought that my misery is over, BUT STILL THE SAME ERRORS AND BSOD'S.
Next j tried to re-install Win98-no good, then tried with Win98SE-no good, and at last with Win2000Pro-no good.
PLEASE, PLEASE POST SOME ANSWERS BECAUSE WHATEVER J DO IT'S NO GOOD, IF SOMEONE CAN HELP HE'S WELCOMED. J'M DESPERATE.

PS:MY MASHINE>>> PII300Cel A/ 160MB SDRAM/QUANTUM FB. 5.1 GB. HDD/ SB CREATIVE AWE 64 GOLD/ MB PC CHIPS M715 (i440 EX/LX chipset>> know it's old)/ PSU 250W. Never tried, but is it possible that it might be the PSU ???

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Can you get it to boot to floppy by using a boot disk or windows start-up disk?

Are you sure the cable is on correctly and that all pins are engaged. I had a terrible time once because I didn't have all the pins connected to the cable.

If that did help, try the drive in another machine. If it works, then the floppy controller on your motherboard is going or dead.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=87962" target="_new">My Rigs </A>

According to the repair manuals I have, considering everything you've tried to solve the situation and using a process of elimination, it points to a bad floppy controller on the motherboard. Solution is to replace the motherboard.

You never know what you can do until you try.