Can Foam Really Absorb Bass?

I'm having bass problems in my control room and I'm using some expensive bass
traps in the corners that aren't fixing the problem. My buddy says he has some
Venus and Big Lenrd Bass Traps from Auralex and his room has been measured to
be as flat a project studio can be. He has spent about one quarter of what
I've spent. Can anyone attest to the Auralex Venus and Lenrd bass traps. Can
they absorb below 100Hz?
Frank
7 answers Last reply
More about foam absorb bass

    FrankDebro1 <frankdebro1@aol.com> wrote:
    >I'm having bass problems in my control room and I'm using some expensive bass
    >traps in the corners that aren't fixing the problem. My buddy says he has some
    >Venus and Big Lenrd Bass Traps from Auralex and his room has been measured to
    >be as flat a project studio can be. He has spent about one quarter of what
    >I've spent. Can anyone attest to the Auralex Venus and Lenrd bass traps. Can
    >they absorb below 100Hz?

    What frequencies are your bass problems at, and what frequencies are the
    traps you are using tuned to?

    If you have a big room mode at 20 Hz, and you put an absorbing device
    tuned to 35 Hz into the room, you've just made your problems worse and
    not better. Just throwing in traps without figuring out where the problems
    like is not a solution.
    --scott

    frankdebro1@aol.com (FrankDebro1) writes:

    >I'm having bass problems in my control room and I'm using some expensive bass
    >traps in the corners that aren't fixing the problem. My buddy says he has some
    >Venus and Big Lenrd Bass Traps from Auralex and his room has been measured to
    >be as flat a project studio can be. He has spent about one quarter of what
    >I've spent. Can anyone attest to the Auralex Venus and Lenrd bass traps. Can
    >they absorb below 100Hz?

    Maybe... But I'm more of a panel trap/diaphragmatic absorber user. Which
    "expensive bass traps" are you using? A typical home-brew panel trap,
    such as the type noted on Ethan's site (www.ethanwiner.com, if I remember
    correctly) or as is described by F. Alton Everest in his books on studios
    or acoustics, should do a decent job at least down to 50 Hz and for a lot
    less money (at least in materials) than the foam stuff.

    Note that the panel traps must be properly constructed to work correctly.
    Perhaps the ones you have are damaged or not properly built? (The
    cavity must be air tight, for one thing.)

    Frank
    --
    .

    In article <20040807111820.04802.00001045@mb-m12.aol.com> frankdebro1@aol.com writes:

    > I'm having bass problems in my control room and I'm using some expensive bass
    > traps in the corners that aren't fixing the problem. My buddy says he has some
    > Venus and Big Lenrd Bass Traps from Auralex and his room has been measured to
    > be as flat a project studio can be. He has spent about one quarter of what
    > I've spent. Can anyone attest to the Auralex Venus and Lenrd bass traps.

    Sounds like your buddy can. Is he a good buddy? If so, get him to lend
    you his Lenrds and stick them up temporariliy in your room. If they
    work, buy some. If they don't, then don't buy them.

    Every case is different, so they might work and they might not. Ethan
    Winer, who makes RealTraps and claims that they can be useful just
    about anywhere if properly placed, says that they're cheaper than the
    molded foam stuff if you use enough of it to do the same job.

    Frank,

    > I'm having bass problems in my control room and I'm using some expensive
    bass traps in the corners that aren't fixing the problem. <

    What traps to do you have and how many? How big is your room? What is the
    nature of the problem?

    > My buddy says he has some Venus and Big Lenrd Bass Traps from Auralex and
    his room has been measured to be as flat a project studio can be. <

    How flat would that be exactly? And to what resolution was the room
    measured? Measuring room response is a lot more tricky than many realize.
    I've seen people brag that their room is flat with a few dB when in fact
    there are deviations as large as 30 dB or even larger. But they didn't
    measure properly so they had no idea how bad the room really is.

    > Can anyone attest to the Auralex Venus and Lenrd bass traps. Can they
    absorb below 100Hz? <

    I've never measured LENRD foam, but I have measured foam the same size from
    another vendor that claims the exact same specs. You can see a direct
    comparison on the Products Data page of my company's site: www.realtraps.com

    I'll also mention that some rooms have worse problems than others. A room
    that's 10x12x8 feet will be a lot more difficult to "fix" than a room that's
    25x15x10 feet.

    --Ethan

    "FrankDebro1" <frankdebro1@aol.com> wrote in message news:20040807111820.04802.00001045@mb-m12.aol.com...
    > I'm having bass problems in my control room and I'm using some expensive bass
    > traps in the corners that aren't fixing the problem. My buddy says he has some
    > Venus and Big Lenrd Bass Traps from Auralex and his room has been measured to
    > be as flat a project studio can be. He has spent about one quarter of what
    > I've spent. Can anyone attest to the Auralex Venus and Lenrd bass traps. Can
    > they absorb below 100Hz?
    > Frank

    How much money do you want to spend on 12" thick foam ? ;-)

    "Ethan Winer"

    > Measuring room response is a lot more tricky than many realize.
    > I've seen people brag that their room is flat with a few dB when in fact
    > there are deviations as large as 30 dB or even larger. But they didn't
    > measure properly so they had no idea how bad the room really is.

    ** Are you referring to the semi-religious faith folk have in the use of
    1/3 octave pink noise tests for rooms as compared to "old fashioned" slow
    sine wave sweep testing ?

    A deep ( ie high Q factor ) room null or sharp peak will only show up in
    its full glory in a slow sweep test.

    Phil,

    > Are you referring to the semi-religious faith folk have in the use of 1/3
    octave pink noise tests for rooms as compared to "old fashioned" slow sine
    wave sweep testing ? A deep ( ie high Q factor ) room null or sharp peak
    will only show up in its full glory in a slow sweep test. <

    Yes, that's exactly my point.

    --Ethan

Pro Audio Audio