Wireless connection drop

gaurang

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
Hey guys i recently bought a new gaming rig for myself.

the specs are as follows:

Core i5 2400 3.1 GHz
ASUS P8Z68 VLx Mobo
8 GB DDR3 Kingston Hyper X
ASUS HD7850 DCUII 2GB
1TB WD Blue
600W Great wall 80+ modular PSU
lite on dvd burner
D-link DWA 525 wireless Pci-e card.
cooler master USP 100
23" Phillips monitor

My apt has only wifi and no ethernet connection also i can only connect one component as only one is allowed per room.

My wifi card usually works very good with downloading speeds of @ 1MBps but as soon as any game is launched or i start to watch a movie stored on my hdd the speed suddenly goes down and many a times it disconnects, this is also happening when i launch a you tube video.

But as soon as i close the game or movie or youtube video i regain my speed instantly or if its disconnected it gets connected.

I have checked the power requirements of my config on various sites and it is around 450W so i have enough headroom in case of PSU. so what really is the problem i am not able to understand.

Also discovered one thing if i connect my monitor via motherboard display out i can surf youtube and watch movies from my hdd but during online gmaing my ping is incredibly high upto 500ms . but this is not the case if i connect to my gfx card, on which the connection drops as soon as i do any of the above mentioned work.

Can anyone pls help?????

Ive already posted this on homebuilt and networking general discussion.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=42&post=40252&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

there has been some great inputs by jgutz but i havent been able to solve my problem completely.

Also have tried ASUS N 13 usb adapter which sucked bigtime!!!!!

So can this be solved with my current setup ???
if not pls recommend me what to buy?

Also refer this site (http://www.invadeit.co.th/) if want to recommend something to buy!!!

Ok, I read through the prior thread as well, and it looks like you've been down all the usual avenues. Before going too deep, realize this is one of the toughest issues to resolve, esp. when none of us are on site. This is just one of those problems that really requires a hands-on approach, so no guarantees.

Here’s something I’d like you to do. I want you to take the laptop and use it as a wireless bridge. IOW, we’re going to turn the laptop into your wireless adapter in place of your current wireless adapter.

So first, disable the wireless adapter on your desktop (its under Network Connections, so go to Start, and in the search box enter”ncpa.cpl” (no quotes) and hit enter, select the wireless network connection, right click, select disable). Also make sure the wired ethernet connection is enabled and its TCP/IP configuration is set to DHCP.

Now connect the laptop to the apartment wifi. Run an ethernet cable from the laptop to the PC. On the laptop, under Network Connections, select the wireless connection, enable ICS, and share the wireless connection w/ the wired connection. At that point your PC should have internet access thanks to the laptop.

[wireless router]<-- wireless -->[laptop (bridged)]<-- wire -->[pc]

The idea here is to see if the laptop (which often has a stronger, more reliable wireless radio than your PC) is able to provide a more robust wireless connection. If you’re fortunate enough to have a lengthy ethernet cable (50-100 ft.), you could even try moving the laptop around the apartment to see if that has a more positive effect. If the situation improves significantly, then the problem is most likely NOT your PC, per se. But let’s just see what happens before delving any deeper.

gaurang

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
thanks elibgrad for your reply.

My apt has a mac filter so i have to ask my apt owner to register the new ip address temporarily and i will try the idea suggested by you.

I was just thinking about the things that hope fully my graphic card isnt draining more power that the wireless card is not getting any.

give me a few days to try that out.