HL2 sales figures and developement cost

Last response: in Video Games
January 27, 2005 3:46:58 AM

Here's something interesting that I found while searching for HL2 sales
figures.

http://www.bized.ac.uk/current/leisure/2004_5/081104.ht...

"...For example, the original Half Life game was released by Valve to its
publishers for a down payment of only $30 000 with an additional $800 000
paid as a further advance. Half Life has won innumerable prizes and awards
and in 2001, three years after its initial release, one of the game's
spin-offs, Half Life Generation still reached eighth place in PC gaming
sales in the UK. Advance payments received by Valve are dwarfed by the total
sales of the whole product.

The high development costs associated with creating a best-selling game
require large advances to be paid to game developers. To recoup these
advances, publishers such as VUG need the games they fund to sell greater
numbers in the retail market. Once they have made enough revenue they can
start to pay royalties to the developers. Increasingly, only 'hit' titles
produce royalties for developers, so they often find themselves unable to
fund new products in order to grow their business.

....If Half Life 2 is sold through traditional stores, Valve receives about
30% and VUG 70% of the revenue. But if the game is sold through Steam, Valve
would receive 70% and VUG 30%. Clearly, tensions between game developer and
distributor can be expected to simmer away."

The developer get's 30% if sold thru a store?!?!?! Wow! Organized crime
is alive and well in the world. I wonder if these percentages are close to
what the music industry uses?
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 3:46:59 AM

OldDog wrote:

> The developer get's 30% if sold thru a store?!?!?! Wow! Organized
> crime is alive and well in the world. I wonder if these percentages
> are close to what the music industry uses?

The reasons for side-stepping the distributors have long been known and
discussed. The problem is that Steam is still a bad idea.

GS.
January 27, 2005 10:35:06 AM

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:46:58 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
wrote:

>The developer get's 30% if sold thru a store?!?!?! Wow! Organized crime
>is alive and well in the world. I wonder if these percentages are close to
>what the music industry uses?

From what I have heard, musicians don't get anywhere like that amount.
January 27, 2005 11:11:53 AM

"OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com> wrote in message
> Here's something interesting that I found while searching for HL2 sales
> figures.
>
> http://www.bized.ac.uk/current/leisure/2004_5/081104.ht...
>
> "...For example, the original Half Life game was released by Valve to its
> publishers for a down payment of only $30 000 with an additional $800 000
> paid as a further advance. Half Life has won innumerable prizes and awards
> and in 2001, three years after its initial release, one of the game's
> spin-offs, Half Life Generation still reached eighth place in PC gaming
> sales in the UK. Advance payments received by Valve are dwarfed by the
> total
> sales of the whole product.

> The high development costs associated with creating a best-selling game
> require large advances to be paid to game developers. To recoup these
> advances, publishers such as VUG need the games they fund to sell greater
> numbers in the retail market. Once they have made enough revenue they can
> start to pay royalties to the developers. Increasingly, only 'hit' titles
> produce royalties for developers, so they often find themselves unable to
> fund new products in order to grow their business.

Remember that HL2 was entirely funded by Valve from the profits made by HL.

> ...If Half Life 2 is sold through traditional stores, Valve receives about
> 30% and VUG 70% of the revenue. But if the game is sold through Steam,
> Valve
> would receive 70% and VUG 30%. Clearly, tensions between game developer
> and
> distributor can be expected to simmer away."

> The developer get's 30% if sold thru a store?!?!?! Wow! Organized
> crime
> is alive and well in the world. I wonder if these percentages are close
> what the music industry uses?

Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:39:50 PM

wrote:

>Here's something interesting that I found while searching for HL2 sales
>figures.
>
>http://www.bized.ac.uk/current/leisure/2004_5/081104.ht...
>
>"...For example, the original Half Life game was released by Valve to its
>publishers for a down payment of only $30 000 with an additional $800 000
>paid as a further advance. Half Life has won innumerable prizes and awards
>and in 2001, three years after its initial release, one of the game's
>spin-offs, Half Life Generation still reached eighth place in PC gaming
>sales in the UK. Advance payments received by Valve are dwarfed by the total
>sales of the whole product.
>
>The high development costs associated with creating a best-selling game
>require large advances to be paid to game developers. To recoup these
>advances, publishers such as VUG need the games they fund to sell greater
>numbers in the retail market. Once they have made enough revenue they can
>start to pay royalties to the developers. Increasingly, only 'hit' titles
>produce royalties for developers, so they often find themselves unable to
>fund new products in order to grow their business.
>
>...If Half Life 2 is sold through traditional stores, Valve receives about
>30% and VUG 70% of the revenue. But if the game is sold through Steam, Valve
>would receive 70% and VUG 30%. Clearly, tensions between game developer and
>distributor can be expected to simmer away."

>The developer get's 30% if sold thru a store?!?!?! Wow! Organized crime
>is alive and well in the world. I wonder if these percentages are close to
>what the music industry uses?

Appropriate to the above header, here are some sample figures from
my local EBX.... near Mall entrance - great position and packed before

Christmas. Just a sample of 1 store, but somewhat indicative of an
interesting sales situation.

Three 2004 Christmas-season "hot" titles:-

HL2 Standard Edition: ~ 150 initial stock inc pre-orders. As of
1/26/2005, 35 still left in stock. Sales have dropped to one or two
a week. Were best just in the first 2 weeks (end-November)... Never
re-stocked.

Halo 2 (Xbox): 800 pre-orders plus several hundred more sold after
release. Still selling quite well.

WoW standard edition: ~100 pre-orders -- many hundreds more sold
after release --- sold out totally before Christmas. Still sells out
completely within a few days of restocking. None in stock
and on order on 1/26/2005. ( Released one week after HL2. )

Valve must have sold a great number of HL2 through Steam.......... to
Wally and his relatives and his friends on this little newsgroup, no
doubt.

Unlike Blizzard (WoW) and Microsoft (Halo 2 ), Valve (and Vivendi)
have been more than a little coy about their HL2 sales figures...
I wonder why ???

Considering the potential development costs of both Steam and HL2,
Gabe and Doug might just have deferred their Ferrari purchases.

This "groundbreaking FPS" appears to have luke-warm comparative
retail sales figures. Vivendi now seems to be dumping excess
inventory of HL2 into Costco...although the Costco price is still
around $45. However, if the inventory does not move in a short time,
Costco WILL slash the price ( or return the product ).

All hope is not lost for the faithful few. Maybe HL2 will become a
late classic like Deus Ex when it is available as a GOTY edition at
$19.99 or less. Or maybe a decent 3rd-party MP mod using the HL2
engine will give it a new lease of life a la HL1/CS. However, that
will happen so far down the road that the base price of HL2 will
probably have dropped to $19.99.

John Lewis
January 27, 2005 2:28:41 PM

> [...]
> I wonder why ???
>
> Considering the potential development costs of both Steam and HL2,
> Gabe and Doug might just have deferred their Ferrari purchases.
>
> This "groundbreaking FPS" appears to have luke-warm comparative
> retail sales figures. Vivendi now seems to be dumping excess
> inventory of HL2 into Costco...although the Costco price is still
> around $45. However, if the inventory does not move in a short time,
> Costco WILL slash the price ( or return the product ).
>
> All hope is not lost for the faithful few. Maybe HL2 will become a
> late classic like Deus Ex when it is available as a GOTY edition at
> $19.99 or less. Or maybe a decent 3rd-party MP mod using the HL2
> engine will give it a new lease of life a la HL1/CS. However, that
> will happen so far down the road that the base price of HL2 will

Although I did doubt your point initially, a quick check of the Amazon.com
sales charts reveals HL2 to be 5th - behind MS Flight Sim (!) and 2 Sims
games. Top is World of Warcraft (I wonder what WoW was!).

I can't see *that* many people buying HL2 via Steam. I wonder how many have
been put off by the bad publicity generated by Steam and the ensuing flame
wars, both online and in the media...
January 27, 2005 2:32:20 PM

> Unlike Blizzard (WoW) and Microsoft (Halo 2 ), Valve (and Vivendi)
> have been more than a little coy about their HL2 sales figures...
> I wonder why ???

I think it may be partly due to the ongoing legal battle between
Valve and Vivendi that they are keeping the respective sales figures
quiet but I do think that HL2 isnt doing so well as ppl may have hoped.

I think that the good sales of Halo 2 reflects the simple fact that a
game doesnt have to be groundbreaking to sell well. People were
able to buy Halo 2 and know it would work on their machine.
Theres no tweaking required to get it to run well - in this day and
age I shouldnt have to input heapsize commands etc .. the damn
installer should detect my CPU and RAM etc and adjust cache
settings to suit.
and no Steam to worry about.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:32:21 PM

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:32:20 GMT, "Sleepy"
<nospamthanksbpespley@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> in this day and
>age I shouldnt have to input heapsize commands etc ..

Good because you don't.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:46:42 PM

John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote:

> Appropriate to the above header, here are some sample figures from
> my local EBX....

you and your ebx reconnaissance missions. those employees deserve a
raise.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:46:49 PM

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

<sniped valve propaganda>

now you also have become another official valve propaganda agent????
the article from the link is so disgustingly pro-valve i almost vomited!

and your valve/sierra obsession is sickening!
what the hell did sierra did to you????
why the hell do you have such an hate for sierra and you don't have for
any other game distributor!!!
and don't come talking about the ripping of poor valve cause we all know
its the reality when it comes to developers and distributors!
those are the percentages for the all gaming industry and not sierra!!!

you have to understand one thing... valve owns everything to sierra!
if it wasn't for sierra valve would be nothing! ZERO!
so stop once and for all going after sierra cause valve is the only BAD guy!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 27, 2005 3:15:25 PM

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, "Schrodinger" wrote:

> I can't see *that* many people buying HL2 via Steam. I wonder how many have

obviously not! who the hell will download 4GB of data! only extremely high
end broadband connections with no download limits
4GB! thats 4000MB! thats 4000000KB! thats 4000000000 Bytes! that too much
zeros in any part of the world!

> been put off by the bad publicity generated by Steam and the ensuing flame
> wars, both online and in the media...

i really don't see it in the media
the media are a bunch of weak sold outs!
look at gamespot forum, they censor anything anti-steam
i haven't read any major article in the media dealing seriously with steam
the media has proven to be completely under the publishers control
the media concern is only about advertisement and pleasing the publishers
sad, really sad
i guess we are left all alone to fight steam

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 27, 2005 8:20:06 PM

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:28:41 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:

>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message

>> Three 2004 Christmas-season "hot" titles:-
>>
>> HL2 Standard Edition: ~ 150 initial stock inc pre-orders. As of
>> 1/26/2005, 35 still left in stock. Sales have dropped to one or two
>> a week. Were best just in the first 2 weeks (end-November)... Never
>> re-stocked.
>>

>Although I did doubt your point initially, a quick check of the Amazon.com
>sales charts reveals HL2 to be 5th - behind MS Flight Sim (!) and 2 Sims
>games. Top is World of Warcraft (I wonder what WoW was!).

You should continue to doubt JL's posts. HL2 has been selling
exceptionally well and is in either first or second spot in weekly top
10 sales list, since its release. Here's the latest one I could find,

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/top10gam...

Here are the top ten games for Windows, by sales volume, for the week
of January 2—January 8, 2004.
The Sims 2
Half-Life 2
World of Warcraft
Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth
Sims Deluxe
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3
Call of Duty
Zoo Tycoon 2
Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault
Call of Duty: United Offensive Expansion Pack

NPD figures don't track most online sales and of course Steam
purchases are not included in the list. In terms of $s, HL2 was the
number one selling game this week.

By the way, nice to see Call of Duty doing so well. Last year, the
troika of UT2004, FarCry and BattleField Vietnam stayed in the lists
for 5-6 months pushing CoD down. They are all gone now, but CoD has
reappeared probably because of the expansion pack. Great work,
Infinity Ward!
--
Noman
Anonymous

"OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com> wrote in message

> I wonder if these percentages are close to
> what the music industry uses?

Even worse; I've heard the artist gets around 10%.
Which then has to be split with their manager, etc.

P.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 8:34:52 PM

"Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> writes:

> Even worse; I've heard the artist gets around 10%.
> Which then has to be split with their manager, etc.

For the musicians, the money is in the shows. Moving records lets
bands book bigger venues, but doesn't directly contribute
significantly to the bottom line.

Or so I've been told.

Nick

--
# sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')

wrote:

>Here's something interesting that I found while searching for HL2 sales
>figures.

According to:
http://www.vivendiuniversal.com/vu/en/home/week.cfm?f=t...

HL2 has sold 1.7 million copies so far. It doesn't say whether this
includes Steam sales.
January 28, 2005 12:44:40 AM

Andrew wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:46:58 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Here's something interesting that I found while searching for HL2 sales
>>figures.
>
> According to:
> http://www.vivendiuniversal.com/vu/en/home/week.cfm?f=t...
>
> HL2 has sold 1.7 million copies so far. It doesn't say whether this
> includes Steam sales.

These are retail box sales.
--
Noman
Anonymous

Noman wrote:

> > HL2 has sold 1.7 million copies so far. It doesn't say whether this
> > includes Steam sales.
>
> These are retail box sales.

Halo2's sold 6.2 million copies, or about three times as many as
Half-Life 2. IMO the sales are outstanding; were it not for the
completely over-the-top piracy, Half-Life2 could quite possibly have
tied with Halo2.

Microsoft made $82M on Halo2, meaning that Valve will have pulled in
something in the region of $25M.
As Half-Life 2 by all accounts is a far better game than Halo 2, it
will more than likely continue to garner significant revenue when it's
released for console; one might speculate it'll be the new flagship
game of the XBox2.

So things aren't looking bleak for Valve.

For PC gaming the message is the same as always: Unless piracy can be
brought under control, or console piracy rises drastically, PC sales
aren't ever going to match those of the consoles, and as long as PC
sales don't match console sales, PC gaming will play second fiddle.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 3:49:17 AM

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:46:58 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
<snip>

> Appropriate to the above header, here are some sample figures from
> my local EBX.... near Mall entrance - great position and packed before
>
> Christmas. Just a sample of 1 store, but somewhat indicative of an
> interesting sales situation.
>
> Three 2004 Christmas-season "hot" titles:-
>
> HL2 Standard Edition: ~ 150 initial stock inc pre-orders. As of
> 1/26/2005, 35 still left in stock. Sales have dropped to one or two
> a week. Were best just in the first 2 weeks (end-November)... Never
> re-stocked.
>
> Halo 2 (Xbox): 800 pre-orders plus several hundred more sold after
> release. Still selling quite well.

I just saw the news today where Microsoft is reporting an unexpected gain
due to the huge number of sales from Halo 2. But this is a console game.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/earnings/2005-0...

> WoW standard edition: ~100 pre-orders -- many hundreds more sold
> after release --- sold out totally before Christmas. Still sells out
> completely within a few days of restocking. None in stock
> and on order on 1/26/2005. ( Released one week after HL2. )
>
> Valve must have sold a great number of HL2 through Steam.......... to
> Wally and his relatives and his friends on this little newsgroup, no
> doubt.
>
> Unlike Blizzard (WoW) and Microsoft (Halo 2 ), Valve (and Vivendi)
> have been more than a little coy about their HL2 sales figures...
> I wonder why ???

Is Valve traded on the stock market? I guess not since I couldn't find
them on my stock market web site. Well heck! I guess the only way for us
to know if Steam sold a lot of HL2 copies is to see what kind of car Gabe is
driving next month.

If it's a Sedgway, we'll know Steam bombed. ;)

<snip>
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 4:57:12 AM

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
>
> <sniped valve propaganda>
>
> now you also have become another official valve propaganda agent????
> the article from the link is so disgustingly pro-valve i almost vomited!

Caution! Prior to reading any of my postings please take motion sickness
pills. And please bucket up; it's going to be a roller coaster of a ride.

I'm not Pro-Steam.
I'm Pro-me.

> and your valve/sierra obsession is sickening!
> what the hell did sierra did to you????

Please don't swear. Swearing is usually associated with those that can't
express themselves adaquetely. And I know for a fact that you don't have a
problem with expressing yourself.

> why the hell do you have such an hate for sierra and you don't have for
> any other game distributor!!!

I don't hate anyone. Hating is against my religion.

> and don't come talking about the ripping of poor valve cause we all know
> its the reality when it comes to developers and distributors!
> those are the percentages for the all gaming industry and not sierra!!!

Reality. It's such a subjective subject.

> you have to understand one thing... valve owns everything to sierra!
> if it wasn't for sierra valve would be nothing! ZERO!
> so stop once and for all going after sierra cause valve is the only BAD
guy!

> --

Behind every good developer is a greedy..., I'm mean great publisher? ;)

ps Are you feeling ok? You seem a little ..... upset.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 4:58:18 AM

"Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> Although I did doubt your point initially, a quick check of the Amazon.com
> sales charts reveals HL2 to be 5th - behind MS Flight Sim (!) and 2 Sims
> games. Top is World of Warcraft (I wonder what WoW was!).
>
> I can't see *that* many people buying HL2 via Steam. I wonder how many
have
> been put off by the bad publicity generated by Steam and the ensuing flame
> wars, both online and in the media...

Based on recent reports from MS, they're doing brisk sales of Halo 2.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/earnings/2005-0...
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 5:00:10 AM

"Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com> wrote in message
>
> > I wonder if these percentages are close to
> > what the music industry uses?
>
> Even worse; I've heard the artist gets around 10%.
> Which then has to be split with their manager, etc.
>
> P.

Wow. Reminds me of the '60s when ball players had regular jobs in the off
season. When they returned to baseball during spring training, the front
office would hand them a contract and tell them to sign it. Don't bother
to read it cause it was like all the other baseball contracts out there.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:51:50 AM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

> ps Are you feeling ok? You seem a little ..... upset.

i'm really disappointed with all you steam lovers, or as john lewis likes
to calls "wally and relatives"
you can't be reason with
you can't be bargain with
you will not stop ever until every pc game is infected with steam!

so don't you feel i have some reason to be a little upset?

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 28, 2005 1:34:31 PM

On Fri, 27 Jan 2005 mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> Halo2's sold 6.2 million copies, or about three times as many as
> Half-Life 2. IMO the sales are outstanding; were it not for the
> completely over-the-top piracy, Half-Life2 could quite possibly have
> tied with Halo2.

Completely over-the-top-piracy of HL2? Wasn't Steam invented to prevent
just this? How are the Doom 3 numbers looking in comparison? After all it
holds the highest sales record for a PC game and also the most pirated
game record.

January 28, 2005 4:16:22 PM

**** You should continue to doubt JL's posts. HL2 has been selling
exceptionally well and is in either first or second spot in weekly top
10 sales list, since its release.

Why should anyone doubt his posts when they fall in line with what the
industry sales numbers show? Half-Life 2 continues to sell very well in
the PC market, but its sales figures are nowhere near the level of
console super blockbusters like Halo 2 and San Andreas.

**** NPD figures don't track most online sales and of course Steam
purchases are not included in the list. In terms of $s, HL2 was the
number one selling game this week.

If you want to use NPD, then you might be interested to know that NPD
lists Halo 2 as the second best-selling game in all of 2004, right
behind San Andreas, which is on a platform that has a well-over ten
times larger user base.

Even the original Halo is on the top ten list, which is surprising in
that it's a game from about three or four years ago but not surprising
in that sales obviously ramped up in anticipation of Halo 2.

Half-Life 2 is nowhere to be found on that list, and is most certainly
not the top selling game in this or any other week for the last couple
of months.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 8:49:44 PM

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:39:59 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:46:58 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Here's something interesting that I found while searching for HL2 sales
>>figures.
>
>According to:
>http://www.vivendiuniversal.com/vu/en/home/week.cfm?f=t...
>
>HL2 has sold 1.7 million copies so far. It doesn't say whether this
>includes Steam sales.

Thanks for extracting those numbers.

John Lewis
>--
>Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
>Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
>please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
>Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:20:35 PM

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
>
> > ps Are you feeling ok? You seem a little ..... upset.
>
> i'm really disappointed with all you steam lovers, or as john lewis likes
> to calls "wally and relatives"
> you can't be reason with
> you can't be bargain with
> you will not stop ever until every pc game is infected with steam!
>
> so don't you feel i have some reason to be a little upset?

Well then, let us agree to disagree.
It's ok that we have different opinions.

As to being upset.... remember that we're discussing game distribution.
Not the environment, world peace, hunger, or aids.

Which reminds me. If it hadn't been for your "passion" about this subject,
I wouldn't have stopped to ponder the issues surrounding game distribution.

For example, I bought a pc game while shopping the other day (John Madden
2005 on sale!). Got it home, installed it, patched it, and tossed the
cardboard box into the trash. What a waste. (And no, the area that I
live in doesn't recycle cardboard. Back in MD they took cardboard. Not
sure what's up with the state of Texas.)

While others might feel that you're just ranting. I want to thank you for
making me think about this subject.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 1:40:28 AM

Thusly Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> Spake Unto All:

>> Halo2's sold 6.2 million copies, or about three times as many as
>> Half-Life 2. IMO the sales are outstanding; were it not for the
>> completely over-the-top piracy, Half-Life2 could quite possibly have
>> tied with Halo2.
>
>Completely over-the-top-piracy of HL2? Wasn't Steam invented to prevent
>just this?

Probably. Work, it did not. I wish it had, but it only delayed piracy
a few days.

> How are the Doom 3 numbers looking in comparison? After all it
>holds the highest sales record for a PC game and also the most pirated
>game record.

It outsold HL and the Sims2? While I personally liked Doom3, I find
that surprising. However, I do not know the figures for Doom3.

--
*** One Bastard Less ***
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1496132/20050121/index...

On 28 Jan 2005 13:16:22 -0800, "The alMIGHTY N" <natlee75@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Noman wrote:

>>You should continue to doubt JL's posts. HL2 has been selling
>>exceptionally well and is in either first or second spot in weekly top
>>10 sales list, since its release.
>
>Why should anyone doubt his posts when they fall in line with what the
>industry sales numbers show? Half-Life 2 continues to sell very well in
>the PC market, but its sales figures are nowhere near the level of
>console super blockbusters like Halo 2 and San Andreas.

That's not what JL said. I wasn't comparing HL2 sales to that of
GTA:San Andreas or Halo2.

>> NPD figures don't track most online sales and of course Steam
>>purchases are not included in the list. In terms of $s, HL2 was the
>>number one selling game this week.
>
>If you want to use NPD, then you might be interested to know that NPD
>lists Halo 2 as the second best-selling game in all of 2004, right
>behind San Andreas, which is on a platform that has a well-over ten
>times larger user base.

NPD has separate top sales lists for PC games and "Video" games.

>Even the original Halo is on the top ten list, which is surprising in
>that it's a game from about three or four years ago but not surprising
>in that sales obviously ramped up in anticipation of Halo 2.
>
>Half-Life 2 is nowhere to be found on that list, and is most certainly
>not the top selling game in this or any other week for the last couple
>of months.

We are obviously talking about PC games sales lists. NPD don't have a
single top selling chart that lists *both* PC and video games.

In any case HL2's sale of 1.7 million copies (as claimed by Vivendi)
in two months puts it behind only a very few console games. For a PC
game, it's an amazing number and it doesn't even include sales because
of Steam.
--
Noman
January 29, 2005 2:32:05 AM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:40:28 +0100, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> Spake Unto All:
>
>> How are the Doom 3 numbers looking in comparison? After all it
>>holds the highest sales record for a PC game and also the most pirated
>>game record.
>
>It outsold HL and the Sims2? While I personally liked Doom3, I find
>that surprising. However, I do not know the figures for Doom3.

The record was for the, most number of copies sold in a limited time.
It was quite vague PR report not giving enough numbers.
--
Noman
Anonymous

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 02:36:12 +0100, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>Actually, its quite easy to pirate PS2 and XBox games.
>
>If you buy a PC, sure. But then it's still easier to pirate for the PC
>than the console.
But as you said, just about everyone has a PC. You don't even need a
high-end PC to pirate console games because you're not actually
running them. You buy a $50 DVD-ROM drive, pop it into your 5 year
old Dell that hasn't been a viable game machine in 3 years and you're
good to go.

>No, but that's a, what, six? years old machine.
>I've got a three year old machine: AMD XP 2000, Geforce 4200 Ti. Ran
>Doom3 and Riddick decently, but not glassy smooth at 1024x768, so I'm
>replacing it.
Nice setup. Or at least it was 3 years ago. Now its performance
isn't enough to keep up with the latest games, at least not without
turning off features or lowering the resolution. Now, if you would
have bought an XBox 3 years ago, for a mere $300, you'd wouldn't have
to worry about that. How much did you pay for that system again? :p

XBox2 will probably be released in the next 12-18 months: at that
point, another $300 will buy another 4-5 years of worry-free gaming.
Want to bet that the $1500+ PC you're buying now will be in the
trash-heap long before anyone is even talking about the XBox 3?

>>The absolute minimum CPU
>>speed for HL2 didn't even come out until about 3.5 years ago (looking
>>through the archives of Tom's Hardware.) It wasn't even remotely
>>affordable until about 2 years ago.
>
>Hmm... What do you envision is the absolute minimum CPU for HL2?
Exactly what's printed on the box: 1.2GHz minimum, which according to
Tom's Hardware's review archives (their reviews are questionable
sometimes, I admit, but they're at least timely and have a conviently
located archive) because available in mid-2001, which is just over 3.5
years ago. Of course, at that time, they were top-of-the-line CPUs
and ungodly expensive, so except for a few bleeding-edge enthusiasts
with pockets full of money, pretty much no one would have one until
about 3 years ago. So, a PC that would cost $1500-$2000 3 years ago
is now the absolute MINIMUM system requirement for Half-Life 2.

>I really don't understand where that comes from. I can't remember the
>last time I had a game which required me to fiddle with drivers or
>DirectX or worrying about CPU or RAM. Well, actually I do - it was the
>Quake3Test demo, which had an issue with a particular nvidia driver
>revision. That's, what, three years ago?
You sound like the sort of person who enjoys fiddling with your system
and regularly upgrades your video drivers

>As I said, I believe the market simply thinks that PC games are free,
>and as far as hassle-freeness is concerned no amount of bugfixing will
>change that it's actually easier and quicker to download a pirated
>copy than going to the store and buying it.
>Not to mention cheaper.
If you look at historical data, I think you're wrong. Back in the
1995-2000 period, pirating PC games was quite difficult for most
people because broadband was still uncommon and its damn hard to
download a 500M game on a 33.6 modem. Even at that point, console
sales were a whole lot higher than PC sales.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 1:44:50 PM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

> Well then, let us agree to disagree.
> It's ok that we have different opinions.

the difference is, i respect you wanting to buy games via steam and hope
you will continue doing it, but you don't respect me and want to force
into accepting steam, when what i want is maintain the traditional way

that's the difference! i want freedom of choice, and you want to force
every gamer to buy games the way YOU like

> As to being upset.... remember that we're discussing game distribution.
> Not the environment, world peace, hunger, or aids.

i respect these group and want to preserve being always "on-topic"
probably cause there are so many "off-topic" no game related threads, i
refuse to participate in anything but pc games, that's why i only speak
about games...
obviously the world in full of extremely serious problems... but this is
the place for games... outside we have plenty of opportunity to discuss
the real important issues

its not cause the world has such serious problems we should not try and
enjoy ourselves and playing pc games in for me the best way of doing it

> Which reminds me. If it hadn't been for your "passion" about this subject,
> I wouldn't have stopped to ponder the issues surrounding game distribution.

i also see you as very passionate for electronic distribution in software
i know why you are, you believe in it, you see lots of qualities and you
enjoy using it... i totally respect you, but what i disagree with you
is forcing it to others and making it kill the traditional way

> For example, I bought a pc game while shopping the other day (John Madden
> 2005 on sale!). Got it home, installed it, patched it, and tossed the
> cardboard box into the trash. What a waste. (And no, the area that I

that's really interesting... in the us do you still sell games in the old
big cardboard box? i thought all games including pc games were now sold
in the standard dvd case first used in dvd movies, the small plastic one

i extremely surprised seeing us is still selling pc games in the old boxes

and btw i could never enjoy playing sports games... since be beginning i
tried but for me its not fun

> live in doesn't recycle cardboard. Back in MD they took cardboard. Not
> sure what's up with the state of Texas.)

i would like very much to follow up on this subject and write what i think
about it... but please understand i want to keep it all about pc games
but let me only tell you this, i found very unfair you trying to connect
environment problems with pc games... its not fair and you know it isn't

i believe pc games are healthy for our society and don't harm anyone
the only possible issue is violence, but lets not forget men are violent
its something inside us, so channeling that violence for pc games is good
this way we don't need to be violent in the real world
obviously age should be respected when playing violent games, so parents
and those who sell pc games should be honest and obliged to the ratings
but i believe action games have a relaxing and calming effect
for me playing action pc games is the best thing to fight stress

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 29, 2005 1:44:54 PM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, drocket wrote:

> I say this as someone who enjoys PC gaming far more than consoles: PC
> gaming is just too damn hard and expensive.

first, no matter what, you and me and every gamer should fight piracy
piracy is extremely wrong! piracy damages you and me and every gamer
and we all can do something about it!
so there is no excuse for piracy and for fighting piracy!
its an obligation of every gamer!

as for whats happening in pc games...
agree with you about pc being expensive and developers making you upgrade
each two years so you can play the latest games
developers should code pc games for hardware at least 3 years old and not
code for hardware which hasn't yet been released or is still extremely
high end and expensive
as for the "hard" troubleshooting in pc games, i really don't agree with
your "dark", "primitive" outlook cause in the dos ages it was hard, but
now its not, but consoles are still much more easy

bottom line what i think pc games need to win over consoles need is:
- more fight from gamers when it comes to piracy
fight better piracy not with more intrusive copy protections but instead
with the own gamers doing there fight cause its every gamers fight piracy
- developers coding games at least 3 years behind of hardware manufacturer
this way you could have a 4/5 year old hardware machine which would be
enough for most of the games released, for example, currently developers
should be coding for a 2ghz cpu and for a fourth generation gpu and not
coding for a 3/4 ghz and sixth generation gpu
- competition in the "os" market
we need desperately for alternatives to microsoft, its not healthy having
a monopoly in the "os" market, so we need a windows clone, something that
could run win32/directx software, the regulators need to force microsoft
in licensing win32/directx technology to others
- making pc games free of intrusive technologies like steam
at this point in time steam alone can be probably the biggest excuse to
gamers run away from pc games and going to consoles, so its an imperative
freeing pc games from the damage steam and alikes are

with all this i believe pc games would crush any console big time!

and let me tell you again, your portrait of how hard using a pc is to
play games is completely incorrect, and can only be justified or by a
traumatic experience with some technical glitch you never found out,
or simply cause you are doing the same old console propaganda

the three damaging words for pc games are: steam, microsoft, expensive
but at least for now pc games still have something consoles don't which
is FREEDOM

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 29, 2005 7:33:08 PM

Mean_Chlorine wrote:

> Sure. But why is the PC market smaller?
> The installed base of PC's is *enormous*, far larger than all consoles
> combined. Sure, many, perhaps most, are corporate machines or too old
> and unable to run new games, but there's still probably ten times more
> PCs used at least partly for gaming than there are XBoxes.
>
> Yet the market is smaller.

I blame Steam.

On a more serious note, your figures are misrepresentitive.

Sure, there might be more PCs but the *great* majority are not bought
for games : more for real development work in offices, and many for home
accounts/emailing etc.

Consoles are obviously dedicated to gaming : so purchasers are, QED,
more likely to buy games regularly.

No mystery here.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:34:50 PM

John Lewis wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:39:59 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
> wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:46:58 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Here's something interesting that I found while searching for HL2 sales
>>>figures.
>>
>>According to:
>>http://www.vivendiuniversal.com/vu/en/home/week.cfm?f=t...
>>
>>HL2 has sold 1.7 million copies so far. It doesn't say whether this
>>includes Steam sales.
>

> Thanks for extracting those numbers.

Extract??? Merely linking to. There is no conspiracy to conceal sales
numbers.

1.7 Million. Wow. 100 Million in revenue from retail alone.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 2:48:48 AM

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
>
> > Well then, let us agree to disagree.
> > It's ok that we have different opinions.
>
> the difference is, i respect you wanting to buy games via steam and hope
> you will continue doing it, but you don't respect me and want to force
> into accepting steam, when what i want is maintain the traditional way
>
> that's the difference! i want freedom of choice, and you want to force
> every gamer to buy games the way YOU like

You hope that I continue to buy games thru Steam??!?! Is this really
difool?

As to freedom of choice. I'm not forcing anyone to d/l, obtain, or
purchase games thru Steam. However, I believe that users should be
informed. And while you have made some valid points against Steam, I've
weighed the pros and cons, and made my choice.

note: If I lived in a country where I was on dialup and had to buy by the
min... I might have made a different choice.

Bottom line: It's up to the gamers to make their choice which hopefully
will be based upon all the pros/cons. Not just because OldDog say's that
Steam is the next best thing since Steam powered engine.

> > As to being upset.... remember that we're discussing game distribution.
> > Not the environment, world peace, hunger, or aids.
>
> i respect these group and want to preserve being always "on-topic"
> probably cause there are so many "off-topic" no game related threads, i
> refuse to participate in anything but pc games, that's why i only speak
> about games...
> obviously the world in full of extremely serious problems... but this is
> the place for games... outside we have plenty of opportunity to discuss
> the real important issues
>
> its not cause the world has such serious problems we should not try and
> enjoy ourselves and playing pc games in for me the best way of doing it
>
> > Which reminds me. If it hadn't been for your "passion" about this
subject,
> > I wouldn't have stopped to ponder the issues surrounding game
distribution.

> i also see you as very passionate for electronic distribution in software
> i know why you are, you believe in it, you see lots of qualities and you
> enjoy using it... i totally respect you, but what i disagree with you
> is forcing it to others and making it kill the traditional way

Had does that one song go? "Video killed the radio...."
Maybe in a few years we'll all be singing, "Steam killed the compact
disc..." ;)

Ok, time for me to go. I'm heading down to the local software store and
stand outside. If I catch anyone buying HL2 box, I'm going to "force" them
to march back inside and get their $ back!

They don't call me the Steam Enforcer at my local church for nothing.

> > For example, I bought a pc game while shopping the other day (John
Madden
> > 2005 on sale!). Got it home, installed it, patched it, and tossed the
> > cardboard box into the trash. What a waste. (And no, the area that I
>
> that's really interesting... in the us do you still sell games in the old
> big cardboard box? i thought all games including pc games were now sold
> in the standard dvd case first used in dvd movies, the small plastic one

Most US games come in CD size cardboard box. And inside is usually some
more cardboard filler which I assume is used to protect the CDs/DVDs. The
box and cardboard filler are just junk/waste to me. Back in Maryland, at
least I could recycle them. And even though the boxes have gotten smaller,
it's still a waste of trees IMHO.

I'm not much into "resale" of pc games. Games that I've played and will
probably never use again, I'll give them to family or friends. Or toss
them in a box and put them in the garage. Maybe 20 years from now, I'm
pull out my 8 inch, 5 1/4 inch, 3 1/2 inch floppies, and CDs and donate them
to museum. They can put them next to the slide rule and the covered wagon.

> i extremely surprised seeing us is still selling pc games in the old boxes
>
> and btw i could never enjoy playing sports games... since be beginning i
> tried but for me its not fun
>
> > live in doesn't recycle cardboard. Back in MD they took cardboard.
Not
> > sure what's up with the state of Texas.)
>
> i would like very much to follow up on this subject and write what i think
> about it... but please understand i want to keep it all about pc games
> but let me only tell you this, i found very unfair you trying to connect
> environment problems with pc games... its not fair and you know it isn't

IMHO, if it's related to the manufacture, distribution, sale, installation,
.... of pc games, then it's related. Although, since this is an Action
forum, maybe we should limit the discussion in here to just the game play
itself? No posting on installation, sale, distribution, boxes, ....?

BTW Wasn't it you that brought up how ugly the game box cover was?

> i believe pc games are healthy for our society and don't harm anyone
> the only possible issue is violence, but lets not forget men are violent
> its something inside us, so channeling that violence for pc games is good
> this way we don't need to be violent in the real world
> obviously age should be respected when playing violent games, so parents
> and those who sell pc games should be honest and obliged to the ratings
> but i believe action games have a relaxing and calming effect
> for me playing action pc games is the best thing to fight stress

Maybe. As for me, it raises my blood pressure.
Usually while playing Call of Duty, I can be heard to scream, "Hold still
you dirty Nazis!"

As to the benefits of games, ask yourself, "What would happen if there were
no pc/video games?"
Answer: "There'd be no Steam."
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 8:52:11 AM

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:34:50 +0100, Walter Mitty
<mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:39:59 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
>> wrote:

>>>According to:
>>>http://www.vivendiuniversal.com/vu/en/home/week.cfm?f=t...
>>>
>>>HL2 has sold 1.7 million copies so far. It doesn't say whether this
>>>includes Steam sales.
>>

>> Thanks for extracting those numbers.
>>

>Extract??? Merely linking to. There is no conspiracy to conceal sales
>numbers.
>
>1.7 Million. Wow. 100 Million in revenue from retail alone.

Assuming you didn't buy it for $39.99 at Fry's before Christmas...

John Lewis
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 8:59:56 AM

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message

> but i will BUY doom3! have no doubt at all about it!
> the doom3 demo runs slow in my machine and

methinks we have figure out what his real problem is.
January 31, 2005 10:26:40 AM

"OldDog" wrote

> I wanted to play Doom 3, but hell if I'm going to let iD force me into
> buying WinXP. I hope you didn't buy Doom 3, cause then I'd lose all
> respect
> for you.

You're Ok there. Difool didn't *buy* Doom3.
January 31, 2005 3:23:45 PM

"difool" wrote

> but i will BUY doom3! have no doubt at all about it!

But I do doubt it.

What was the last game you actually bought?
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 5:21:06 PM

"Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:p 3clv095tb12ukvnktnonn8udt9qo057a0@4ax.com...

> >Completely over-the-top-piracy of HL2? Wasn't Steam invented to prevent
> >just this?
> Probably. Work, it did not. I wish it had, but it only delayed piracy
> a few days.

Well you could actually *play* the pirated version while the people who
bought the game got was the "Steam unavailable" messages and couldn't play
at all. So yea Steam delayed something - paying customers ability to run the
game. Such a great feature. :)

lol
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 10:37:10 PM

Thusly "J Hoppe" <jhoppe2003nospam@cox.net> Spake Unto All:

>"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
>>
>> but i will BUY doom3! have no doubt at all about it!
>> the doom3 demo runs slow in my machine and
>
>methinks we have figure out what his real problem is.

So he's not only a loon, he's also a pirate who's been stopped by
steam.
Lol. In a disbility-humor kind of way.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 5:13:06 AM

Thusly "SpammersDie" <xx@xx.xx> Spake Unto All:

>Let it die the slow painful death then.
>
>I'd like to continue enjoy playing PC games too but not so much so that I'm
>willing to put up with Steam.

Put up with WHAT?
Having an internet connection?
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 5:13:07 AM

> Thusly "SpammersDie" <xx@xx.xx> Spake Unto All:
>

>>Let it die the slow painful death then.
>>
>>I'd like to continue enjoy playing PC games too but not so much so that
>>I'm
>>willing to put up with Steam.
>
> Put up with WHAT?
> Having an internet connection?

Um, no, putting up with Steam.

Just like I wrote in my nice little post.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 3:38:13 PM

On 2005-02-01 11:36:35 GMT, difool <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt>
wrote in <n0duv0hbqd1jaesgs5723tferi3i044oc8@4ax.com>:

> STEAM IS THE VALVE REVOLUTION WAR MACHINE!

"The Valve Revolution War Machine"...

Good band name.

-R.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:38:50 AM

Thusly "SpammersDie" <xx@xx.xx> Spake Unto All:

>>>I'd like to continue enjoy playing PC games too but not so much so that
>>>I'm
>>>willing to put up with Steam.
>>
>> Put up with WHAT?
>> Having an internet connection?
>
>Um, no, putting up with Steam.
>
>Just like I wrote in my nice little post.

Yeah?
So what are you putting up with?
Is steam crashing your system? Slowing down your computer? Eating your
babies? What?
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:38:51 AM

> Thusly "SpammersDie" <xx@xx.xx> Spake Unto All:

>>> Put up with WHAT?
>>> Having an internet connection?
>>
>>Um, no, putting up with Steam.
>>
>>Just like I wrote in my nice little post.
>
> Yeah?
> So what are you putting up with?
> Is steam crashing your system? Slowing down your computer? Eating your
> babies? What?

Steam is doing nothing to my computer because I haven't bought or installed
any Steam-anchored games nor will I do so in the future.

If you want my reasons (as if people haven't posted enough), I've posted my
minimal requirements for game software here twice already - go look in
google for posts by me with the word "Steam" in it (there aren't that many)
if you're really interested as I'm not going to type it all up again.
Advocates of Steam responded and admitted HL2 would not meet those
requirements - so QED - there's nothing more to be said. If you use Steam,
you're fired. You will never sell me one of your games. Period.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 2:06:35 AM

Thusly "SpammersDie" <xx@xx.xx> Spake Unto All:

>>>Um, no, putting up with Steam.
>>>
>>>Just like I wrote in my nice little post.
>>
>> Yeah?
>> So what are you putting up with?
>> Is steam crashing your system? Slowing down your computer? Eating your
>> babies? What?
>
>Steam is doing nothing to my computer because I haven't bought or installed
>any Steam-anchored games

I rest my case.
February 2, 2005 2:40:42 AM

"OldDog" wrote

> This reminds me of a Navy tale. While chatting with another sailor, he
> told me about the time that his wife cooked him Chinnese for dinner. He
> comes home and looks at it and asks his wife what this is on his plate.
> She tells him that it's his dinner. He tells her that its garbage. She
> tells him dinner. He replies with garbage. .....

> Finally he picks up his plate and dumps it in the trash can and say's,
> "It's
> garbage now."

No offence mate; but no wonder you left the Navy if that was the standard of
the anecdotes.

BTW. Wouldn't the story make more sense if *she* put it in the trash?
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:10:33 AM

"Vince" <vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> "OldDog" wrote
>
> > This reminds me of a Navy tale. While chatting with another sailor, he
> > told me about the time that his wife cooked him Chinnese for dinner.
He
> > comes home and looks at it and asks his wife what this is on his plate.
> > She tells him that it's his dinner. He tells her that its garbage.
She
> > tells him dinner. He replies with garbage. .....
>
> > Finally he picks up his plate and dumps it in the trash can and say's,
> > "It's
> > garbage now."
>
> No offence mate; but no wonder you left the Navy if that was the standard
of
> the anecdotes.

I left the Navy cause of sea time and anecdotes like these. ;)

> BTW. Wouldn't the story make more sense if *she* put it in the trash?

I don't make the stories. I just report them.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 2:45:48 PM

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, "Kroagnon" wrote:

<snip very reasonable account of steam problems>

> Steam is not the solution to any of what you stated, it exists solely for
> Valve to cut out the middleman (Vivendi) to make more profit. Steam will
> never be a solution, only adding to the problem.

very well said!
i agree i'm most of the times too much enthusiastic... and should moderate
myself and do a kind of writing more similar to yours...
i'll try to do my best in the future... but the words "valve", "steam" and
"hl2" really make mad, really make me revolt inside

with riku against me, and not knowing why, it was good to see someone
understood myself even if sometimes my anger makes me loose focus
thanks