Cheesybox

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Hope this is in the right section of the forums. Sorry if it isn't >.<

So the main problem I've been having recently is variable interblag speeds + random disconnects. These have happened the past 3 or 4 days, though only in the evening (9pm or so onward). It's a heavy fluctuating download speed, and a couple complete disconnects. I've called my ISP (Verizon) several times, the automated messages tell me to do obvious stuff (turn on and off modem, reboot computer) and the one time I got frustrated enough to talk to a live person, there wasn't much he could do. He tested the line to make sure it was on my end first of all and suggested a couple more things to do (pretty much just use the resource manager/192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 to monitor traffic).

Now tonight is when it got interesting. Tried to hit up some stuff with some friends over vent and steam, and got disconnected from vent and the server in-game, but was still connected to steam and could talk to people over that. Tried going to google/hotmail/facebook/kongregate a few times to see if browsers were working. Nothing. Reset the modem, tried again. Again, nothing. However when I went to google, the message "Welcome to NGINX" popped up, refreshed it, went to google. Opened up a new tab and tried it again. Again got the same message and then F5'd it, it went to google. Thought that was strange and since google wasn't working, I looked up that message on my phone and found out about that NGINX virus. Tried going through what many sites suggest doing by deleting the random.exe's and registries, but they don't exist. I figured a virus eating away bandwidth would explain the fluctuating download speeds. However no processes other than Firefox, svchost.exe and very rarely a "vsmon.exe" have network activity according to the resource monitor. I'm gonna run Ad-aware and Avast overnight to see if anything shows up after I finsh posting here, but I'm not feeling optimistic about it being a virus. Updated my LAN drivers also in case that might help things.

I'm super out of ideas if Ad-aware and Avast come back with nothing. Hoping you guys might have some ideas before I have to get the $100 local PC place/geeksquad down here or something.
Currently running Windows 7 Ultimate x64, ASUS P7H57D-V mobo, Westell 6100G modem, did have a Linksys DIR-615 in the mix, but currently have it out of the network so it's one less thing that could be messing this up.
Let me know if you need any other info.
Thanks in advance folks.

EDIT: Oh, one thing I've noticed. Recently there has been a huge influx of spam email that's somehow gotten through hotmails filters and into my inbox. Maybe more evidence that theres a virus aboard my rig?

Cheesybox

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Went through that whole guide, got rid of a couple registry things and 3 trojans, but internet continues to bounce between about 2.8 and 0.1 Mbits/sec. Hasn't cut out yet but that doesn't mean it won't. Will try calling my ISP when they open again and see what the deal is.