Power Supply -13.09 V

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
I just changed my power supply from a 300 watt to a 450 watt. When I powered up, an alarm went off indicating the NEGATIVE 12 volt power was -13.26 volts. All the other voltages were in line with norms. It seems that number has settled down to -13.01 to -13.09 volts.

Plus 12 ranges about 12.41 volts.

Do I need to worry about that negative number?

IF that is a ground, how does that negative number get that high?

Please respond in simple terms as I may be able to read numbers, but I have no idea what they mean in this application.

MB is Abit BE6-II with Pent III 933EB and 768 mem.
Two Maxtor HD / CDRW / 8x DVD drive-read not write DVDs
about 5 fans plus double fan on CPU.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The new power supply must of helped as the CPU dropped from 49-50C to about 41C - not much warmer than the room at 38C.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...

germne

Distinguished
May 18, 2002
I would return the PS. I think the observed voltage variation indicates the supply has poor regulation. Total loss of regulation may be disasterous. Whatever cooling improvement has occurred is likely just a better power supply fan. By the way, 38C ='s 100F, a pretty hot room!

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
You were right !! The MB got fried a day or two later. I suspect the voltage regulation on the MB took a few jolts too many over time. That does happen around here but not as often as it used to. I have 3 layers of electrical protection in place. Power meter / Electrical box / Backup UPS.

My brother says the new PSU was not getting enough of a pull to get the voltages down. I was concerned that I was pulling too much on the 300 watt PSU and there were signs of that.

That same PSU is doing fine in my new MB. In fact the voltages are a bit below expections. +12 is now running about 11.84-11.96 compared to 12.41 on the blown MB.

Thanks for your comments.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...