Steam problem

Last response: in Video Games
January 29, 2005 7:24:14 PM

This afternoon when I tried starting Counter-Strike: Source
I was given a message that it could not connect to the steam
server. I am very sure of the password, but just for the
hell of it I clicked on the "recover" password and it's
telling me the account doesn't exist.

There is another option where you enter the CD key and it
sends you the correct account name via email - I did this
and it sent me the email with the account name, so apparantly
the account does exist in their system.

I can log into Steam using another account I just created,
but any time I try logging in with my old account it fails
with the "cannot connect" message.

As a test, I tried my new account with an incorrect password
and it gives a message indicating a wrong password. If I
try my old account with an obviously wrong passord, I get the
message that it cannot connect...

At that point I couldn't play any of my Valve games - not
even the orginal Half-Life!! - even in "offline mode" because
it says I have no connection information.

One of the Steam help pages suggested an uninstall of Steam
and then reinstall... I did this and it not only removes
the Steam program, but Half-Life 2 as well.

Has anyone else ever seen this?? I've sent emails to Steam,
and obviously they aren't going to respond until Monday, but
I was just wondering if this has been the experience of anyone
else?

More about : steam problem

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 9:56:49 PM

Steam is not the probem!!

You are the problem with your IMPATIENCE and MUST HAVE NOW attitude!!!

Steam is perfect in its conception and has proven so with the delivery
of the incomparable Half-Life 2.

Many more game compaines will no doubt soon adopt this wonderful
content delivery tool for there is no question it is the way, the light
and the future of pc gaming.
January 30, 2005 4:37:58 AM

cphite@hotmail.com wrote:
> This afternoon when I tried starting Counter-Strike: Source
> I was given a message that it could not connect to the steam
> server. I am very sure of the password, but just for the
> hell of it I clicked on the "recover" password and it's
> telling me the account doesn't exist.
>
> There is another option where you enter the CD key and it
> sends you the correct account name via email - I did this
> and it sent me the email with the account name, so apparantly
> the account does exist in their system.
>
> I can log into Steam using another account I just created,
> but any time I try logging in with my old account it fails
> with the "cannot connect" message.
>
> As a test, I tried my new account with an incorrect password
> and it gives a message indicating a wrong password. If I
> try my old account with an obviously wrong passord, I get the
> message that it cannot connect...
>
> At that point I couldn't play any of my Valve games - not
> even the orginal Half-Life!! - even in "offline mode" because
> it says I have no connection information.
>
> One of the Steam help pages suggested an uninstall of Steam
> and then reinstall... I did this and it not only removes
> the Steam program, but Half-Life 2 as well.
>
> Has anyone else ever seen this?? I've sent emails to Steam,
> and obviously they aren't going to respond until Monday, but
> I was just wondering if this has been the experience of anyone
> else?

Yes. Been going on for a few hours. Some can, some can't. No idea
what is causing it.

--
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Martin Luther King, Jr.
January 30, 2005 8:47:55 AM

On 29 Jan 2005 18:56:49 -0800, flightlessvacuum@lycos.com wrote:

>Steam is not the probem!!
>
>You are the problem with your IMPATIENCE and MUST HAVE NOW attitude!!!

Yea, those who do not worshipped the great idol Steam every day, must
suffer whips and barbs at the whim of its Maker.

No wonder devout worshipper Wally has never had a problem.............

>Steam is perfect in its conception and has proven so with the delivery
>of the incomparable Half-Life 2.
>
>Many more game compaines will no doubt soon adopt this wonderful
>content delivery tool for there is no question it is the way, the light

( from a select part of Gabe's anatomy ?? )

>and the future of pc gaming.

John Lewis
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 5:06:21 PM

On 29 Jan 2005, cphite@hotmail.com wrote:

> This afternoon when I tried starting Counter-Strike: Source
> I was given a message that it could not connect to the steam
> server. I am very sure of the password, but just for the
> hell of it I clicked on the "recover" password and it's
> telling me the account doesn't exist.
>
> There is another option where you enter the CD key and it
> sends you the correct account name via email - I did this
> and it sent me the email with the account name, so apparantly
> the account does exist in their system.
>
> I can log into Steam using another account I just created,
> but any time I try logging in with my old account it fails
> with the "cannot connect" message.
>
> As a test, I tried my new account with an incorrect password
> and it gives a message indicating a wrong password. If I
> try my old account with an obviously wrong passord, I get the
> message that it cannot connect...
>
> At that point I couldn't play any of my Valve games - not
> even the orginal Half-Life!! - even in "offline mode" because
> it says I have no connection information.
>
> One of the Steam help pages suggested an uninstall of Steam
> and then reinstall... I did this and it not only removes
> the Steam program, but Half-Life 2 as well.
>
> Has anyone else ever seen this?? I've sent emails to Steam,
> and obviously they aren't going to respond until Monday, but
> I was just wondering if this has been the experience of anyone
> else?

i'm really sorry this is happening to you
the only thing i can tell you is each two days a post like yours
appears in this group and nobody knows how to help

although its no longer in your own reach how and when you play hl2
do us and you a favor, retell your hl2 experience to every friend
you have so they know what to expect for anyone accepting steam

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 30, 2005 6:28:56 PM

John Lewis wrote:

> ( from a select part of Gabe's anatomy ?? )

You need help. What is the thing you have for this guys body parts?
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 6:10:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, John Lewis wrote:
> > "A <<SINGLE-PLAYER>> PC game should be playable at any time
> that the purchaser wishes or be loaded on any computer that the
> purchaser desires and be played immediately ( after patching the
> install copy, if necessary - the patches being locally stored).
> That is the user-model which Steam breaks. NOT ACCEPTABLE."
> - John Lewis in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, january 30, 2005

Er, my single-player HL2 is playable at any time I wish. Even
yesterday, or whenever the servers went down.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 8:24:02 AM

Schrodinger wrote:
> "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Er, my single-player HL2 is playable at any time I wish. Even
> > yesterday, or whenever the servers went down.
>
> Well done Chadwick. Thousands of others could not play Single Player
HL or
> HL2 yesterday for over 14 hours. Check out the Steam forums (which
went
> down under the strain of posts) and many posts here.

Perhaps they weren't playing offline? Personally, If I'm playing a
single player game I don't see the point of going online.

Actually, that's one thing about Steam I would change - make offline
the default mode for the single-player game.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 10:44:36 AM

Schrodinger wrote:
> Chadwick, as I have mentioned elsewhere, if you are not on dial up
you have
> no choice. Steam connects - even if you have checked offline mode in
the
> options.

Ah, now you see, that I did not know (my broadband connection is not
"always on" so offline mode always - apparently - works).

In that case I agree with you that there is no point having an "offline
mode" if it still goes online whenever it can.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 1:52:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, John Lewis wrote:

> A <<SINGLE-PLAYER>> PC game should be playable at any time
> that the purchaser wishes or be loaded on any computer that the
> purchaser desires and be played immediately ( after patching the
> install copy, if necessary - the patches being locally stored). That
> is the user-model which Steam breaks. NOT ACCEPTABLE.
>
> The insistence by any game-developer of a complete dependence
> on on-line servers for authorization, install and patch of a
> single-player PC game is reprehensible and totally dishonors the
> paying legitimate customer. This customer should never
> be caught in the middle of a fanatical anti-piracy crusade by any
> developer or distributor, just because the developer is too lazy
> or devious to come up with an effective anti-piracy scheme that
> NEVER INCONVENIENCES THE LEGITIMATE PURCHASER.
>
> Even Xbox, Gamecube and PS2 owners of single-player games
> are better treated.

very well said!
at least once in a while can i read some good stuff in this group!
and thank god you are also writing cause sometimes i really lose
focus... don't know if its cause so many wally and relatives are
posting valve's propaganda... i wrote a hell lot to the original
poster but i left the most important stuff!
thanks john for pointing what is really the MAIN ISSUE with STEAM

"A <<SINGLE-PLAYER>> PC game should be playable at any time
that the purchaser wishes or be loaded on any computer that the
purchaser desires and be played immediately ( after patching the
install copy, if necessary - the patches being locally stored).
That is the user-model which Steam breaks. NOT ACCEPTABLE."
- John Lewis in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, january 30, 2005

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 31, 2005 4:19:02 PM

>> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, John Lewis wrote:
>> > "A <<SINGLE-PLAYER>> PC game should be playable at any time
>> that the purchaser wishes or be loaded on any computer that the
>> purchaser desires and be played immediately ( after patching the
>> install copy, if necessary - the patches being locally stored).
>> That is the user-model which Steam breaks. NOT ACCEPTABLE."
>> - John Lewis in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, january 30, 2005
>
> Er, my single-player HL2 is playable at any time I wish. Even
> yesterday, or whenever the servers went down.

Well done Chadwick. Thousands of others could not play Single Player HL or
HL2 yesterday for over 14 hours. Check out the Steam forums (which went
down under the strain of posts) and many posts here.
January 31, 2005 4:53:39 PM

> Schrodinger wrote:
>> "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Er, my single-player HL2 is playable at any time I wish. Even
>> > yesterday, or whenever the servers went down.
>>
>> Well done Chadwick. Thousands of others could not play Single Player
> HL or
>> HL2 yesterday for over 14 hours. Check out the Steam forums (which
> went
>> down under the strain of posts) and many posts here.
>
> Perhaps they weren't playing offline? Personally, If I'm playing a
> single player game I don't see the point of going online.
>
> Actually, that's one thing about Steam I would change - make offline
> the default mode for the single-player game.

Chadwick, as I have mentioned elsewhere, if you are not on dial up you have
no choice. Steam connects - even if you have checked offline mode in the
options. As I said, check out the forums at www.Steampowered.com for more
information.

Might be worth you knowing anyway...
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 6:30:17 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:53:39 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:

>"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Schrodinger wrote:
>>>
>>> Well done Chadwick. Thousands of others could not play Single Player
>> HL or
>>> HL2 yesterday for over 14 hours. Check out the Steam forums (which
>> went
>>> down under the strain of posts) and many posts here.
>>
>> Perhaps they weren't playing offline? Personally, If I'm playing a
>> single player game I don't see the point of going online.
>>
>> Actually, that's one thing about Steam I would change - make offline
>> the default mode for the single-player game.
>
>Chadwick, as I have mentioned elsewhere, if you are not on dial up you have
>no choice. Steam connects - even if you have checked offline mode in the
>options. As I said, check out the forums at www.Steampowered.com for more
>information.
>
>Might be worth you knowing anyway...

Dont be such a plonker - of course you have a choice. Worst comes to
the worst, unplug your PC from Internet - or others say block steam
with a firewall if you want to be more selective about it - either way
- Steam fails to connect in any way - fails to offline and you can
play.

I did it - it worked - im happy.

Check the forums on www.Steampowered.com for more information.

Cheers.

Yojimbo
aka Justin Thompson

Very proud owner of:
3 'Hapless AGHL lurker' points
4 'I corrected Daemon points'
5 AGHL 'de-cloaking' points
6 'I summed it up in a sentence' points
10 AGHL "I sure slapped those fools down points"
January 31, 2005 8:23:22 PM

"Justin Thompson" <Justin.Thompson@removethisntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:53:39 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:
>
>>"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> HL or
>>> went
>>>
>>> Perhaps they weren't playing offline? Personally, If I'm playing a
>>> single player game I don't see the point of going online.
>>>
>>> Actually, that's one thing about Steam I would change - make offline
>>> the default mode for the single-player game.
>>
>>Chadwick, as I have mentioned elsewhere, if you are not on dial up you
>>have
>>no choice. Steam connects - even if you have checked offline mode in the
>>options. As I said, check out the forums at www.Steampowered.com for more
>>information.
>>
>>Might be worth you knowing anyway...
>>

> Dont be such a plonker - of course you have a choice. Worst comes to
> the worst, unplug your PC from Internet - or others say block steam
> with a firewall if you want to be more selective about it - either way
> - Steam fails to connect in any way - fails to offline and you can
> play.

I am one a wireless network. My daughter and I often game and share files
over the network. Unplugging the router is not an option as she and my wife
use it for net access.

The only way of stopping it would be to use my software firewall to block
Steam when I didn't want it to connect, then go back in and unblock it when
I did.

As this problem occured suddenly and I don't *mind* it connecting normally -
even though "offline mode" is enabled - why should I have blocked it prior
to this downtime?

Maybe someone a bit less savvy than you or I may not know how to do this.
WHY SHOULD THEY WHEN THEY HAVE PAID VALVE THEIR MONEY FOR THIS SINGLE PLAYER
GAME?

> I did it - it worked - im happy.

I am glad you are happy. This makes me happy too.

> Check the forums on www.Steampowered.com for more information.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Yojimbo
> aka Justin Thompson
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 11:00:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Kroagnon" wrote

> Can you imagine having to deal with this for every game that comes
> out in the future? We have to put a stop to this now.

Anyone mentioned XBox-Live?
Or PS2 Online Gaming?

The automobile, the aeroplance, the helicopter, the rocket etc had their
tiny problems (and still have)
Anyone wish to stop spaceflights due to the ocassionally backsteps

I find it interesting and appealing to get a glimpse of the future for
onlinegaming
To hell with fileplanet and their queuing system
Or is it fileplanet you prefer above Steam?

And trust me in ten years from now noone will even be able remember Steam

Fusion - the new Always Online (TM) Gaming System is the future!!

- Peter
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 12:27:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On 31 Jan 2005 03:10:18 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, John Lewis wrote:
>> > "A <<SINGLE-PLAYER>> PC game should be playable at any time
>> that the purchaser wishes or be loaded on any computer that the
>> purchaser desires and be played immediately ( after patching the
>> install copy, if necessary - the patches being locally stored).
>> That is the user-model which Steam breaks. NOT ACCEPTABLE."
>> - John Lewis in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, january 30, 2005
>
>Er, my single-player HL2 is playable at any time I wish. Even
>yesterday, or whenever the servers went down.

Read (and understand) the whole paragraph above, PLEASE !!
See the bit about loading (installing) ??

BTW, Steam's off-line mode is one of Valve's control-freak kludges. It
had a deliberately-inserted one month expiry date, until somebody
discovered it (with lots of consequent user-heat), and Valve hurridly
(er) fixed it -- it is probably 3 or 6 months now :-) :-) With Steam,
the paying customers are forced to dance to Valve's tune.

John Lewis
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 12:32:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:00:03 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
<polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Kroagnon" wrote
>

>> Can you imagine having to deal with this for every game that comes
>> out in the future? We have to put a stop to this now.
>>
>Anyone mentioned XBox-Live?
>Or PS2 Online Gaming?

You missed the whole point. HL2 is a SINGLE-PLAYER game.
Just like Halo 2 <<single-player>>.... no need for Xbox Live, except
if you need to download a patch.

John Lewis
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 1:42:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"John Lewis" wrote

> You missed the whole point. HL2 is a SINGLE-PLAYER game.
> Just like Halo 2 <<single-player>>.... no need for Xbox Live, except
> if you need to download a patch.

And you don't think games eventually will be distributed through this canal?
You have some reading to do

- Peter
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 5:24:18 AM

Nada wrote:
> Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
>
> > "John Lewis" wrote
> >

> >>You missed the whole point. HL2 is a SINGLE-PLAYER game.
> >>Just like Halo 2 <<single-player>>.... no need for Xbox Live,
except
> >>if you need to download a patch.
> >>

> > And you don't think games eventually will be distributed through
this canal?
> > You have some reading to do
> >
> > - Peter
>
> And you have some downloading to do. I object this distribution
method.
> I need something concrete to put under my pillow at night, so that

> the game-fairy will bring me more stand-alone patches burned into a
CD-rom.

You really need to have standalone patches on a CD? Why? You can't
remove them afterwards, so what do you gain? I spose it saves
downloading them again if you ever need to reinstall the program, but
in that case wouldn't you be checking for the latest patch anyway?
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:12:17 AM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:23:29 -0600, "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com>
wrote:

>I'm glad you've woken up to this fact - all it takes is one hiccup to
>realize how bad of an idea mandatory Steam is. The only way Valve or any
>other game companies will get the hint is to stop buying their products. Can
>you imagine having to deal with this for every game that comes out in the
>future? We have to put a stop to this now.

While I agree that boycotting a product is an important step towards
showing a company that you disagree with their practices, it is only
one step of the process. Just as important is letting the company know
WHY you are not buying their product, otherwise they won't know what
mistakes to correct with their next product (and possibly may assume
that something entirely different is at fault, e.g., "Oh my gosh,
nobody is buying Half Life 2! It must be that stupid grav-gun! In Half
Life 3, we won't use any physics at all!" :)  :)  :)

So, if you are, for whatever reason, opposed to Steam -and there are a
lot of reasons, take your pick- don't buy Half Life 2. But also,
write Valve a message telling them that it was Steam that cost them
your money. Preferrably send them a letter rather than an e-mail (or
just a diatribe on their forum :) , as those are taken more seriously
(it takes more effort -not to mention the cost of a stamp- to write a
letter as opposed to blasting off an e-mail). Keep the message short,
honest and mature. A simple "I am writing to inform you that I am not
purchasing Half Life 2 from you because I object to Steam" is enough,
although if you think you can go into details without it devolving
into a rant, then more power to you.

Steam is designed to free Valve from the costs of traditional
publishers and vendors. If they conclude that they make X dollars more
by using Steam, but lose Y dollars by offending a percentage of
customers with their online distribution system, they will simply
compare X to Y and determine which is greater. So let them know how
many Y's there are out there.
February 1, 2005 1:39:46 PM

Peter Lykkegaard wrote:

> "John Lewis" wrote
>

>>You missed the whole point. HL2 is a SINGLE-PLAYER game.
>>Just like Halo 2 <<single-player>>.... no need for Xbox Live, except
>>if you need to download a patch.
>>

> And you don't think games eventually will be distributed through this canal?
> You have some reading to do
>
> - Peter

And you have some downloading to do. I object this distribution method.
I need something concrete to put under my pillow at night, so that
the game-fairy will bring me more stand-alone patches burned into a CD-rom.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:33:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Chadwick <chadwick110@hotmail.com> typed as if devouring a plate of
spoo:

> You really need to have standalone patches on a CD? Why? You can't
> remove them afterwards, so what do you gain? I spose it saves
> downloading them again if you ever need to reinstall the program, but
> in that case wouldn't you be checking for the latest patch anyway?

Personally I like to burn fresh CDs for my older games which include the
latest patch and my favourite mods etc. Most games over 2 years old aren't
being patched any more, so there's no need to go hunting for the latest one
:)

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:37:21 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, John Lewis wrote:

> Read (and understand) the whole paragraph above, PLEASE !!
> See the bit about loading (installing) ??
>
> BTW, Steam's off-line mode is one of Valve's control-freak kludges. It
> had a deliberately-inserted one month expiry date, until somebody
> discovered it (with lots of consequent user-heat), and Valve hurridly
> (er) fixed it -- it is probably 3 or 6 months now :-) :-) With Steam,
> the paying customers are forced to dance to Valve's tune.
>
> John Lewis

right on John!
and i go even further... i believe off-line as a feature will be fazed
out in future steam versions... obviously you will be able to play the
game if for example the connection is down, but it will be only steam
discretionary power to decide if its a matter of connection down so you
can play the game or if not and you really must connect, so basically
you will be complete hostage, completely dependant on a program which
will decide whether or not you can play a game
is there anything more HUMILIATING than relying on a piece of software
for your OWN decision of whether to play or not a game
this is really a sci-fi futuristic scene made reality of MACHINES DECIDING
FOR MAN
man biggest nightmare about machines eventually having control over us
and steam is an obvious first step towards it!
and the steam lovers, know about it, accept it and even say its the best
thing in the world!!!!
oh god the world has definitively gone crazy for some of us!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

February 1, 2005 2:37:51 PM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

<snip>

> So, if you are, for whatever reason, opposed to Steam -and there are a
> lot of reasons, take your pick- don't buy Half Life 2. But also,
> write Valve a message telling them that it was Steam that cost them
> your money. Preferrably send them a letter rather than an e-mail (or
> just a diatribe on their forum :) , as those are taken more seriously
> (it takes more effort -not to mention the cost of a stamp- to write a
> letter as opposed to blasting off an e-mail). Keep the message short,
> honest and mature. A simple "I am writing to inform you that I am not
> purchasing Half Life 2 from you because I object to Steam" is enough,
> although if you think you can go into details without it devolving
> into a rant, then more power to you.

that's a great idea Spalls!
do you or anyone else in this group have the best contact when it comes
to this matter, stating your complete opposition to steam
if someone has the best email and real mail address for complaints to
valve it would be nice to post in this group for any of us you want to
write then complaining about how bad and damaging steam has been

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

February 1, 2005 3:57:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:00:03 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
<polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Kroagnon" wrote
>

>> Can you imagine having to deal with this for every game that comes
>> out in the future? We have to put a stop to this now.
>>
>Anyone mentioned XBox-Live?
>Or PS2 Online Gaming?

The discussion was about single-player games, not online multiplayer
games.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 5:07:30 PM

> Nada wrote:
>> Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
>>
>> > "John Lewis" wrote

> except
>> >>

>> > And you don't think games eventually will be distributed through
> this canal?
>> > You have some reading to do
>> >
>> > - Peter
>>
>> And you have some downloading to do. I object this distribution
> method.
>> I need something concrete to put under my pillow at night, so that
>
>> the game-fairy will bring me more stand-alone patches burned into a
> CD-rom.
>
> You really need to have standalone patches on a CD? Why? You can't
> remove them afterwards, so what do you gain? I spose it saves
> downloading them again if you ever need to reinstall the program, but
> in that case wouldn't you be checking for the latest patch anyway?

If I wasn't interested in updating something that wasn't broken on my
machine before the HD crash/machine replacement, why would I want to do so
just because an HD crash/machine replacement occurred?

Reinstalling and updating are COMPLETELY separate decisions.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 5:38:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"riku" wrote

> The discussion was about single-player games, not online multiplayer
> games.

And who says that SP's won't be distributed through XBox-Live?

- Peter
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 5:38:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:38:51 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
<polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> The discussion was about single-player games, not online multiplayer
>> games.

>And who says that SP's won't be distributed through XBox-Live?

I say that they (commercial single-player games) aren't currently
distributed through XBox-live. So your point was supposed to be...
what?

Come back when XBox requires you to connect to XBox Live when you
bring a new single-player XBox DVD game from a store and try to play
it for the first time. Because that is what Steam does with retail DVD
version of Half-life 2.

Can't you really comprehend the difference, or are you just
argumentative?
February 1, 2005 5:52:18 PM

In article <367dibF4t0vl7U1@individual.net>, "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

>The automobile, the aeroplance, the helicopter, the rocket etc had their
>tiny problems (and still have)
>Anyone wish to stop spaceflights due to the ocassionally backsteps

Comparing Steam to those ground-breaking inventions is, IMHO, ridiculous.
One could just as easily (and more justifiably) compare Steam to DivX... or
the beer-hat.

>I find it interesting and appealing to get a glimpse of the future for
>onlinegaming

A lot of people don't care one whit for online gaming. I find Steam appalling
for the single-player gamer who just wants to be able to go to a store, buy a
game, install and play it, without any interference from the developer.

>To hell with fileplanet and their queuing system
>Or is it fileplanet you prefer above Steam?

I don't know what you're talking about. I've never downloaded a game patch
via file-planet. Historically, there have been plenty of free and easy
sources to retrieve game patches, from fan sites to the
developer/distributor's own web site.

>And trust me in ten years from now noone will even be able remember Steam

I certainly hope that's true.

>Fusion - the new Always Online (TM) Gaming System is the future!!

bleh.
February 1, 2005 5:59:45 PM

In article <3697mlF4oi48gU2@individual.net>, "EvilBill" <quake2lives@gmail.com> wrote:
>Chadwick <chadwick110@hotmail.com> typed as if devouring a plate of
>spoo:
>>
>> You really need to have standalone patches on a CD? Why? You can't
>> remove them afterwards, so what do you gain? I spose it saves
>> downloading them again if you ever need to reinstall the program, but
>> in that case wouldn't you be checking for the latest patch anyway?
>
>Personally I like to burn fresh CDs for my older games which include the
>latest patch and my favourite mods etc. Most games over 2 years old aren't
>being patched any more, so there's no need to go hunting for the latest one
>:)

Not to mention that "checking for" takes a heck of a lot less time than
"downloading."
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:13:53 PM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:52:18 GMT, jeff@work.com (Jeff) wrote:

>>To hell with fileplanet and their queuing system
>>Or is it fileplanet you prefer above Steam?
>
>I don't know what you're talking about. I've never downloaded a game patch
>via file-planet. Historically, there have been plenty of free and easy
>sources to retrieve game patches, from fan sites to the
>developer/distributor's own web site.

www.patches-scrolls.de is your friend. No queuing etc.

And I haven't found most of the queue systems that bad either. You
wait one minute for a download to start? That's about what it takes to
launch Steam + HL2 single-player anyway, even without patching.

And Peter seems to also forget that having "offline" versions of
updates does not mean that you can't also have automatically
downloadable updates. I understand you can download the patches either
through Stardock Central, OR as stand-alone files.

Why are some people against CHOICE?
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:44:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"riku" wrote

> Come back when XBox requires you to connect to XBox Live when you
> bring a new single-player XBox DVD game from a store and try to play
> it for the first time.

Ok

> Because that is what Steam does with retail DVD
> version of Half-life 2.

Hmm right
Can you mention other SP games of today that does not require the CD or DVD
in drive while playing?
Can you mention other SP games of today which does not include a MP
version - or several
Can you grasp that some people don't buy HL2 for the SP only?

> Can't you really comprehend the difference, or are you just
> argumentative?

Well I am just bit tired of this antisteam campaign that's all
I have been playing HL and it's mods for the last four years
With steam it's easier than ever dealing with the game and it's numerous
patches
No more waiting in queue on fileplanet
No more browsing the internet to get patches to patch patches

No I just get the latest client login and download the content to my
harddrive
And I can hazzle all I want with the content
Delete the game content and restart and you're on from scratch
No other system offers such an ease of management than Steam does
Mess with windows and you're up to a complete reinstall
Mess with steam and you can just delete the content and restart/revalidate
the game
Whatever it takes

Oh YES it comes with a cost - but it's nada in comparison with the benefits
it offers
And YES it is buggy and YES it has it flaws
And YES a large number of people can't benefit from Steam
Lack if internet, lak of broadband, lack of decent HW, hell even lack of
knowledge

Compare a pre 1900 automobile with the car you can have today
It takes time to get it perfect, but it is on the right tracks

- Peter
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:44:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 16:44:54 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
<polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Come back when XBox requires you to connect to XBox Live when you
>> bring a new single-player XBox DVD game from a store and try to play
>> it for the first time.
>
>Ok

I'll be waiting. Let's see how console gamers react if and when that
becomes reality.

>> Because that is what Steam does with retail DVD
>> version of Half-life 2.
>
>Hmm right
>Can you mention other SP games of today that does not require the CD or DVD
>in drive while playing?

Completely irrelevant to this discussion, which was about the need of
online activation for retail CD/DVD version of HL2 single-player.

But anyway, I think UT2003 or UT2004 didn't (after a patch) even if
you played offline against the bots. And there were other games too
where a patch removed the CD checks that didn't work on some DVD-R
drives. Yet, those games don't require online activation for
single-player, either.

>Can you mention other SP games of today which does not include a MP
>version - or several
>Can you grasp that some people don't buy HL2 for the SP only?

Completely irrelevant to this discussion, which was about the need of
online activation for retail CD/DVD version of HL2 single-player. Why
do you keep dragging the multiplayer aspect here too? Are you really
saying it is ok to require online activation for single-player,
because there are multiplayer games that also require online
activation? What kind of weird logic is that?

>> Can't you really comprehend the difference, or are you just
>> argumentative?
>>
>Well I am just bit tired of this antisteam campaign that's all
>I have been playing HL and it's mods for the last four years
>With steam it's easier than ever dealing with the game and it's numerous
>patches
>No more waiting in queue on fileplanet
>No more browsing the internet to get patches to patch patches

Etc.

None of those points still don't explain why there has to be online
activation for installing the DVD version of a SINGLE-PLAYER game.
Some people seem to have a misconception that you couldn't possibly
have the advantages of Steam without the current drawbacks. Why do you
feel that way?

>Oh YES it comes with a cost - but it's nada in comparison with the benefits
>it offers

See above. You could have the benefits WITHOUT the drawbacks. Stardock
Central proves this. Why is this so hard for some people to
comprehend?

Furthermore, your opinion that the benefits far outweight the
drawbacks is just that, your personal opinion. I have a different
opinion, the current drawbacks outweight the benefits for its
single-player games.

>Compare a pre 1900 automobile with the car you can have today
>It takes time to get it perfect, but it is on the right tracks

Completely irrelevant. Do modern cars require online activation,
unlike the 1900 automobiles? No.
February 2, 2005 5:01:45 PM

Chadwick wrote:

> Nada wrote:
>
>>Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
>>

>>>"John Lewis" wrote

> except

>>>And you don't think games eventually will be distributed through
>
> this canal?
>
>>>You have some reading to do
>>>
>>>- Peter
>>
>>And you have some downloading to do. I object this distribution
>
> method.
>
>> I need something concrete to put under my pillow at night, so that
>

>>the game-fairy will bring me more stand-alone patches burned into a
>
> CD-rom.
>
> You really need to have standalone patches on a CD? Why?

It's how I've done it for the past few years. I'd like to see games
working without patching, but one of my all-time favorites "Start Trek -
The Fallen" doesen't work without the mega patch, and it's conveniently
stored in one of my update/patch CD-R's if I ever need to install the
game again.

> You can't
> remove them afterwards, so what do you gain? I spose it saves
> downloading them again if you ever need to reinstall the program, but
> in that case wouldn't you be checking for the latest patch anyway?

Not really, if the first released patch works fine, why look for another?
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:54:14 AM

difool wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, John Lewis wrote:
>
>> Read (and understand) the whole paragraph above, PLEASE !!
>> See the bit about loading (installing) ??
>>
>> BTW, Steam's off-line mode is one of Valve's control-freak kludges.
>> It had a deliberately-inserted one month expiry date, until somebody
>> discovered it (with lots of consequent user-heat), and Valve hurridly
>> (er) fixed it -- it is probably 3 or 6 months now :-) :-) With
>> Steam, the paying customers are forced to dance to Valve's tune.
>>
>> John Lewis
>
> right on John!
> and i go even further... i believe off-line as a feature will be fazed
> out in future steam versions

don't flame me or anything this is just a simple question

why do you believe this? apart from the evil valve shite, what makes you
believe this? what is your proof or at least some hint of this?

--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:42:15 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
<polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"John Lewis" wrote
>
>> You missed the whole point. HL2 is a SINGLE-PLAYER game.
>> Just like Halo 2 <<single-player>>.... no need for Xbox Live, except
>> if you need to download a patch.
>>
>And you don't think games eventually will be distributed through this canal?

Yeah, canals have sluice-gates that sometimes don't work...like Steam.
..
Delivery is not the issue....it's paranoid developer-control after
delivery is the problem. Acceptable in the case of a MMORG
-- unique account and key. Not acceptable at all in the case of a
<single-player> game. In this case, the user should have full control
of his/her purchase at all times, with copy-protection and single-use
restriction build entirely INTO the product, NEVER EVER 3rd-party
administered by the developer.

John Lewis

>You have some reading to do
>
>- Peter

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:57:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On 1 Feb 2005 02:24:18 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Nada wrote:
>> Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
>>
>> > "John Lewis" wrote

>except
>> >>

>> > And you don't think games eventually will be distributed through
>this canal?
>> > You have some reading to do
>> >
>> > - Peter
>>
>> And you have some downloading to do. I object this distribution
>method.
>> I need something concrete to put under my pillow at night, so that
>
>> the game-fairy will bring me more stand-alone patches burned into a
>CD-rom.
>
>You really need to have standalone patches on a CD? Why? You can't
>remove them afterwards, so what do you gain? I spose it saves
>downloading them again if you ever need to reinstall the program, but
>in that case wouldn't you be checking for the latest patch anyway?

Er.... I have ~ 10Gbytes of patches for my collection of PC games
going back to ~1995 instantly available, on HD partitions
in two different-vintage computer ( and archived elsewhere ).
Some of the patches are no longer publicly available.

For my legacy single-player games, no need for any internet
connection whatsoever.

John Lewis
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:52:34 PM

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, "Stoned Monkey" wrote:

> don't flame me or anything this is just a simple question

you're very funny!
you flame me but you ask me not to do the same
do you find it reasonable your request?

> why do you believe this? apart from the evil valve shite, what makes you
> believe this? what is your proof or at least some hint of this?

if you weren't so blind and tried to read carefully what posters like
John Lewis and Spalls Hurgenson have been writing since the beginning
about what steam really means in the long run and what is really behind
it, you would learn something useful which is, steam is just the first
step and the beginning of software developers trying to force a paradigm
shift into pc games turning it into a "service" system were you pay as
you use versus the now traditional pay once use forever

its really so sad seeing all you steam lovers not getting from this group
what really is important!
stop reading those worthless threads about the usual futile hl2 fan talk
and read the extremely interesting analyses about what valve is trying to
accomplish with steam!
try to once in your life expand your horizons!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

February 4, 2005 9:28:19 PM

difool wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, "Stoned Monkey" wrote:
>
>> don't flame me or anything this is just a simple question
>
> you're very funny!
> you flame me but you ask me not to do the same
> do you find it reasonable your request?

where did I flame you?
the only times I might have flamed you is when you were calling everyone who
uses steam "ignorant, cowardly, weak and submissive, so you, strictly
speaking started the flaming

>> why do you believe this? apart from the evil valve shite, what makes
>> you believe this? what is your proof or at least some hint of this?
>
> if you weren't so blind and tried to read carefully what posters like
> John Lewis and Spalls Hurgenson have been writing since the beginning
> about what steam really means in the long run and what is really
> behind it, you would learn something useful which is, steam is just
> the first step and the beginning of software developers trying to
> force a paradigm shift into pc games turning it into a "service"
> system were you pay as you use versus the now traditional pay once
> use forever
>
> its really so sad seeing all you steam lovers not getting from this
> group what really is important!
> stop reading those worthless threads about the usual futile hl2 fan
> talk and read the extremely interesting analyses about what valve is
> trying to accomplish with steam!
> try to once in your life expand your horizons!

ah, so you mean there is no proof except that from posts by people who are
entirely unconnected to Vavle or any other source of insider info

--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
!