imnotorginal

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Hi All,

I currently have an office with a SBS 2003 as PDC, and a bunch of workstations. Lets call this Office A. I want to open a new office (Office B), and have the ability to connect all workstations (about 10) in office B to my domain in office A. I want office B to be able to login with their domain credentials from office A. From here I want office B to be able to access shared documents on Office A server, as well as a database, and maybe even quickbooks.

My questions is, does this seem feasible with a box to box vpn connection? I am planning on using a Netgear FVS318G to maintain my vpn connection from office B to office A network. My internet connection would be running @ about 12Mbps in both locations.

Any comments or information would be helpful, thanks.

Feasible? In a purely technical sense, yes, it's done all the time. My primary concern would that measly 12Mbps. Assuming it's symmetrical (12 up/12 down), it just depends on what you expect to do across that VPN beside authenticate. You start transferring large files, accessing large datasets from your database, performing backups, video conferencing (!), etc., and you can easily bring either side to a crawl. 12Mbps might be better suited for a 2-3 remote users who needed access from home from time to time. But for on-going operations, site to site? Hmm, that would concern me. But only you can assess whether that will or won't be a problem.

P.S. If that's all the bandwidth you can get, I'd start looking at QoS (Quality of Service) controls on your routers too, so you can at least prioritize some of that traffic.

imnotorginal

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

Thanks for the input and suggestion. I completely understand the limits my bandwidth would create, and will look into upgrading that.