Josephson C42

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does anyone have an opinion on a matched pair of Josephson C42 mics
for recording steel string acoustic guitars? Thanks.

Bill

In article <926463d.0408072019.14ac4c2a@posting.google.com>,
Bill Wilson <billybobthewilson@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Does anyone have an opinion on a matched pair of Josephson C42 mics
>for recording steel string acoustic guitars? Thanks.

Yes.
--scott

Scott,

Since you have indicated that you have an opinion could you share it
with us? Thanks.

Bill

On 8/7/04 9:19 PM, in article
926463d.0408072019.14ac4c2a@posting.google.com, "Bill Wilson"
<billybobthewilson@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have an opinion on a matched pair of Josephson C42 mics
> for recording steel string acoustic guitars? Thanks.
>
> Bill

For solo fingerstyle playing, I compared the c42s with Neumamn KM184s and
Schoeps CMC6/MK4, and later I tested a pair of Microtech Gefell M294s too.
Used a Pendulum MDP-1A pre, 18x12x8 room. For my uses, I rate these mics as
follows:

1. Schoeps
2. Microtech Gefell
3. Neumann
4. Josephson

For my uses, I didn't care much for the C42s, at least compared with the
others.

--
Stephen Boyke

Bill Wilson <billybobthewilson@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Since you have indicated that you have an opinion could you share it
>with us? Thanks.

I actually shared it in the July 2003 issue of Recording, and basically I
thought it was as close to a Schoeps/B&K/Series Six microphone as you can
get without paying Schoeps/B&K/Series Six prices. It's surprisingly
transparent and very smooth off-axis, and it's very inexpensive for what
it is. Also, unlike the higher end mikes, Josephson is actually making
enough that you can get one off the shelf. I was annoyed by the lack of
omni capsule, though.

It won't make things sound huge, though. It is much more designed for
accuracy than exaggeration.
--scott

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> It's surprisingly transparent and very smooth off-axis, and it's
> very inexpensive for what it is.

My thoughts exactly.

> unlike the higher end mikes, Josephson is actually making
> enough that you can get one off the shelf.

My 606B's are due next month, really this time ;>

> I was annoyed by the lack of omni capsule, though.

I was hoping for a hyper/supercardioid myself. Nice size for boom work...

I'll echo Steve Boyke's experience in regards to this, right down to the
point where the Schoeps beats the Gefells (the latter of which are mine, the
former of which are his). Mind you, I think this is probably because we're
doing very different types of music: he does solo acoustic guitar, and I am
doing acoustic-based contemporary folk. If I were doing DiGrassi-type music
as he does, I would prefer the Schoeps as well. Keep in mind that either
the Schoeps or the Gefells are going to cost you a lot more than the
Josephsons unless you find them used...good luck with that. I took a chance
on a pair of used Gefells and I got lucky.

One caveat: Steve and I both tried the *exact same pair* of Josephsons. I
understand that their QC is excellent, so I doubt this, but it is possible
that we had a suboptimal pair. Another thing is that Josephson is US-based,
so service will be relatively easy to come by should it be necessary.

Another caveat: Scott Dorsey really likes the Josephsons for the price, and
his is an opinion worth listening to (in my opinion).

George Reiswig
Song of the River Music

A. & G. Reiswig <NOSPAMreiswig@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Another caveat: Scott Dorsey really likes the Josephsons for the price, and
>his is an opinion worth listening to (in my opinion).

I'd pick the Josephsons over the Neumanns, but I'll take the Schoeps (and
the B&K for that matter) over either one. Of course, they are a lot more
money (and getting worse as the exchange rate continues to go to hell).
I have not tried the M294 at all, though. Is that one of the nickel-diaphragm
ones?
--scott

'Tis. It has a bit of a peak at 8kHz, unlike its (also) cardioid cousin the
M295 which is nearly flat in the trebles. As with any good mic, it takes EQ
really well, and I was able to put an EQ on it that made it virtually
indistinguishable from the Schoeps when close micing a guitar. I used the
M294s as drum overheads recently, too, and when compared to the KM-184 it
sounded trebly but better. A bit of EQ took care of the former, and what
I'm left with is a more transparent sound than the Neumanns were giving me.
Either mic would have done just fine in that application, though.

George Reiswig
Song of the River Music