Half-Life 2 Stuttering Problems

Is anyone still having problems with Half-Life 2 stuttering problems?

I've tried all the suggestions from Valve:

1) new video card drivers
2) lowest settings
3) lowest resolution

I'm still having the problem no matter what I do. I have a BFG 6800 GT video
card and an Athlon 3500+ CPU.

Am I the only one with these problems, or are others still seeing the same
type of situation? I'd really appreciate hearing from other people.

Thanks!

JMA
9 answers Last reply
More about half life stuttering problems

    difool wrote:
    > > what?? you must be joking with that hardware hl2 has stuttering
    problems!!
    > but its probably not so surprising when you must also have broadband
    only
    > to install, so it suites valve, with there insane HIGH SYSTEM
    REQUIREMENTS
    > they are neglecting millions of pc gamers who can't afford to spend
    lots
    > of money only to play their game

    Almost every new game pushes the hardware further, particularly FPSs -
    you can't blame Steam or Valve for that.

    For example, I had a PC that ran HL1, Deus Ex and Project IGI. But it
    couldn't cope with Medal of Honour or RTC Wolfenstein or anything after
    that. I waited five years before I upgraded - I figured if I was going
    to spend a lot of money upgrading I might as well do it properly and in
    the meantime squeeze what I could out of my old machine. I "missed out"
    on a few games, but most of the stuff I could run became so cheap I
    didn't mind.

    There's never a good time to invest in hardware because there's aways
    something better just around the corner.

    Valve have had to judge whether their hardware requirements are too
    high and whether there enough people able to play (and buy) the game.
    If they get it wrong, they will go bust. It's not a decision they will
    take lightly.

    Joe Ankenbauer wrote:

    > Is anyone still having problems with Half-Life 2 stuttering problems?
    >
    > I've tried all the suggestions from Valve:
    >
    > 1) new video card drivers
    > 2) lowest settings
    > 3) lowest resolution
    >
    > I'm still having the problem no matter what I do. I have a BFG 6800
    > GT video card and an Athlon 3500+ CPU.
    >
    > Am I the only one with these problems, or are others still seeing the
    > same type of situation? I'd really appreciate hearing from other
    > people.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > JMA

    Do you have onboard sound? if so try turning the sound qualities down.

    --
    DalienX

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, "Joe Ankenbauer" wrote:

    > Is anyone still having problems with Half-Life 2 stuttering problems?

    i've been hearing about the stuttering problem in hl2 since the beginning
    its the most talked about thing related to hl2 troubleshooting with the
    only exception of steam itself

    > I'm still having the problem no matter what I do. I have a BFG 6800 GT video
    > card and an Athlon 3500+ CPU.

    what?? you must be joking with that hardware hl2 has stuttering problems!!
    but its probably not so surprising when you must also have broadband only
    to install, so it suites valve, with there insane HIGH SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    they are neglecting millions of pc gamers who can't afford to spend lots
    of money only to play their game

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    "Joe Ankenbauer" <ankenbauer@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Is anyone still having problems with Half-Life 2 stuttering problems?
    >
    > I've tried all the suggestions from Valve:
    >
    > 1) new video card drivers
    > 2) lowest settings
    > 3) lowest resolution
    >
    > I'm still having the problem no matter what I do. I have a BFG 6800 GT
    video
    > card and an Athlon 3500+ CPU.
    >
    > Am I the only one with these problems, or are others still seeing the same
    > type of situation? I'd really appreciate hearing from other people.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I had the same problem on my AMD 2800 with ATI 9800 pro video card. I
    tried changing rez, textures, ... Finally I found the HL2 tweak guide at
    web site below. The thing that fixed it for me was turning off "autosave"
    in the cfg file.

    http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_1.html

    Note: Some folks have stated that the newer patches for HL2 was suppose to
    fix stuttering problem. But I did the above tweakguide prior to the HL2
    patches.

    http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_7.html

    A sample autoexec.cfg file content is provided below as an example of what
    it should look like:

    sv_autosave 0

    hope this helps
    OldDog

    Joe Ankenbauer wrote:
    > Is anyone still having problems with Half-Life 2 stuttering problems?
    >
    > I've tried all the suggestions from Valve:
    >
    > 1) new video card drivers
    > 2) lowest settings
    > 3) lowest resolution
    >
    > I'm still having the problem no matter what I do. I have a BFG 6800 GT video
    > card and an Athlon 3500+ CPU.
    >
    > Am I the only one with these problems, or are others still seeing the same
    > type of situation? I'd really appreciate hearing from other people.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > JMA

    "Captain, the turret fills with steam,
    The feed-pipes burst below --
    You can hear the hiss of the helpless ram,
    You can hear the twisted runners jam."
    And he answered, "Turn and go!"

    --
    best regards, mat
    np: [winamp not running]

    www.pdxshows.net

    On 31 Jan 2005, "Chadwick" wrote:

    <snip>

    > Valve have had to judge whether their hardware requirements are too
    > high and whether there enough people able to play (and buy) the game.
    > If they get it wrong, they will go bust. It's not a decision they will
    > take lightly.

    ok, i accept it, i accept having to upgrade my computer hardward to play
    hl2, and that will include... new motherboard, new cpu, new memory, new
    graphic card, new dvd-rom drive, new sound card, new case...
    now let me get this straight AGAIN...
    i ACCEPT paying 1000 dollars in hardware to play hl2, but i will NOT
    ACCEPT EVER AT ALL INTERNET REQUIREMENT AS MANDATORY to play hl2!!!
    ok? glade we agree

    --

    "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
    > On 31 Jan 2005, "Chadwick" wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > > Valve have had to judge whether their hardware requirements are too
    > > high and whether there enough people able to play (and buy) the game.
    > > If they get it wrong, they will go bust. It's not a decision they will
    > > take lightly.
    >
    > ok, i accept it, i accept having to upgrade my computer hardward to play
    > hl2, and that will include... new motherboard, new cpu, new memory, new
    > graphic card, new dvd-rom drive, new sound card, new case...
    > now let me get this straight AGAIN...
    > i ACCEPT paying 1000 dollars in hardware to play hl2, but i will NOT
    > ACCEPT EVER AT ALL INTERNET REQUIREMENT AS MANDATORY to play hl2!!!
    > ok? glade we agree

    But what about those poor souls that can't afford to upgrade?
    You don't care about them.... you have no respect for them...

    difool wrote:
    > ok, i accept it, i accept having to upgrade my computer hardward to
    play
    > hl2, and that will include... new motherboard, new cpu, new memory,
    new
    > graphic card, new dvd-rom drive, new sound card, new case...
    > now let me get this straight AGAIN...
    > i ACCEPT paying 1000 dollars in hardware to play hl2, but i will NOT
    > ACCEPT EVER AT ALL INTERNET REQUIREMENT AS MANDATORY to play hl2!!!
    > ok? glade we agree

    If you're replacing that much gear, you might as well get a broadband
    connection as well.

    I was previously on 56k pay-as-you-go at 1p/minute. I didn't switch to
    broadband until my internet bill was more than the monthly broadband
    subscription. I'm only on baby broadband now (3x faster than 56k) and
    frankly the speed difference is amazing. I can't imagine going back to
    56k. It's made email, online banking, shopping, forums, software
    updating, downloading and general browsing things I can do quickly and
    enjoyably.

    I'd recommend switching to broadband if you use the internet for any
    length of time. Plus then you'll have added benefit of being able play
    HL2 at no additional cost and with faster patching - result!

    Alternatively, if you stay on dial-up, you need only go online when you
    first install and register the game. It'll patch it straightaway, so
    you might want to make a coffee at that point, but afterwards, you'll
    always be in offline mode (because your dial-up isn't permanently
    connected) and you'll never go near the Steam servers unless you
    specifically decide to - result!

    On 2 Feb 2005, "Chadwick" wrote:

    > If you're replacing that much gear, you might as well get a broadband
    > connection as well.

    no sir, i replace that gear cause i want a better pc gaming experience!
    i replace that gear cause it will be good for me
    buying a new cpu and gpu will make my pc games run and look better!
    installing broadband will only favour valve!
    so no sir, i will not pay only to benefit others and damage me

    i guess, i have to write this every time i post...
    you need a powerfull cpu, lots mem, fast gpu to play single-player games!
    you don't need to have any kind of net at all to play single-player games!

    > I was previously on 56k pay-as-you-go at 1p/minute. I didn't switch to
    > broadband until my internet bill was more than the monthly broadband

    if broadband suites you best good for you, but don't force it on others
    not everyone is like you, and not everyone has you net needs, so please
    realize not everyone needs and is whiling to play broadband, much less
    have to change to broadband only to play a single-player game so a
    publisher can force a system to make pc gamers dependant

    > Alternatively, if you stay on dial-up, you need only go online when you
    > first install and register the game. It'll patch it straightaway, so
    > you might want to make a coffee at that point, but afterwards, you'll

    you already pay 50 bucks for a game and you are asking me to pay more!
    no! no! the game is already payed for! i refuse to pay any more!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

PC gaming Video Games