Half-Life 2 Stuttering Problems

Last response: in Video Games
January 30, 2005 5:30:26 PM

Is anyone still having problems with Half-Life 2 stuttering problems?

I've tried all the suggestions from Valve:

1) new video card drivers
2) lowest settings
3) lowest resolution

I'm still having the problem no matter what I do. I have a BFG 6800 GT video
card and an Athlon 3500+ CPU.

Am I the only one with these problems, or are others still seeing the same
type of situation? I'd really appreciate hearing from other people.

Thanks!

JMA
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 8:57:38 AM

difool wrote:
> > what?? you must be joking with that hardware hl2 has stuttering
problems!!
> but its probably not so surprising when you must also have broadband
only
> to install, so it suites valve, with there insane HIGH SYSTEM
REQUIREMENTS
> they are neglecting millions of pc gamers who can't afford to spend
lots
> of money only to play their game

Almost every new game pushes the hardware further, particularly FPSs -
you can't blame Steam or Valve for that.

For example, I had a PC that ran HL1, Deus Ex and Project IGI. But it
couldn't cope with Medal of Honour or RTC Wolfenstein or anything after
that. I waited five years before I upgraded - I figured if I was going
to spend a lot of money upgrading I might as well do it properly and in
the meantime squeeze what I could out of my old machine. I "missed out"
on a few games, but most of the stuff I could run became so cheap I
didn't mind.

There's never a good time to invest in hardware because there's aways
something better just around the corner.

Valve have had to judge whether their hardware requirements are too
high and whether there enough people able to play (and buy) the game.
If they get it wrong, they will go bust. It's not a decision they will
take lightly.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 11:26:40 AM

Joe Ankenbauer wrote:

> Is anyone still having problems with Half-Life 2 stuttering problems?
>
> I've tried all the suggestions from Valve:
>
> 1) new video card drivers
> 2) lowest settings
> 3) lowest resolution
>
> I'm still having the problem no matter what I do. I have a BFG 6800
> GT video card and an Athlon 3500+ CPU.
>
> Am I the only one with these problems, or are others still seeing the
> same type of situation? I'd really appreciate hearing from other
> people.
>
> Thanks!
>

> JMA

Do you have onboard sound? if so try turning the sound qualities down.

--
DalienX
January 31, 2005 1:53:15 PM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, "Joe Ankenbauer" wrote:

> Is anyone still having problems with Half-Life 2 stuttering problems?

i've been hearing about the stuttering problem in hl2 since the beginning
its the most talked about thing related to hl2 troubleshooting with the
only exception of steam itself

> I'm still having the problem no matter what I do. I have a BFG 6800 GT video
> card and an Athlon 3500+ CPU.

what?? you must be joking with that hardware hl2 has stuttering problems!!
but its probably not so surprising when you must also have broadband only
to install, so it suites valve, with there insane HIGH SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
they are neglecting millions of pc gamers who can't afford to spend lots
of money only to play their game

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

February 1, 2005 12:08:13 AM

"Joe Ankenbauer" <ankenbauer@cox.net> wrote in message
news:o tbLd.12752$IJ5.5620@okepread02...
> Is anyone still having problems with Half-Life 2 stuttering problems?
>
> I've tried all the suggestions from Valve:
>
> 1) new video card drivers
> 2) lowest settings
> 3) lowest resolution
>
> I'm still having the problem no matter what I do. I have a BFG 6800 GT
video
> card and an Athlon 3500+ CPU.
>
> Am I the only one with these problems, or are others still seeing the same
> type of situation? I'd really appreciate hearing from other people.
>
> Thanks!

I had the same problem on my AMD 2800 with ATI 9800 pro video card. I
tried changing rez, textures, ... Finally I found the HL2 tweak guide at
web site below. The thing that fixed it for me was turning off "autosave"
in the cfg file.

http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_1.html

Note: Some folks have stated that the newer patches for HL2 was suppose to
fix stuttering problem. But I did the above tweakguide prior to the HL2
patches.

http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_7.html

A sample autoexec.cfg file content is provided below as an example of what
it should look like:

sv_autosave 0

hope this helps
OldDog
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 9:00:31 AM

Joe Ankenbauer wrote:
> Is anyone still having problems with Half-Life 2 stuttering problems?
>
> I've tried all the suggestions from Valve:
>
> 1) new video card drivers
> 2) lowest settings
> 3) lowest resolution
>
> I'm still having the problem no matter what I do. I have a BFG 6800 GT video
> card and an Athlon 3500+ CPU.
>
> Am I the only one with these problems, or are others still seeing the same
> type of situation? I'd really appreciate hearing from other people.
>
> Thanks!
>

> JMA

"Captain, the turret fills with steam,
The feed-pipes burst below --
You can hear the hiss of the helpless ram,
You can hear the twisted runners jam."
And he answered, "Turn and go!"

--
best regards, mat
np: [winamp not running]

www.pdxshows.net
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:37:37 PM

On 31 Jan 2005, "Chadwick" wrote:

<snip>

> Valve have had to judge whether their hardware requirements are too
> high and whether there enough people able to play (and buy) the game.
> If they get it wrong, they will go bust. It's not a decision they will
> take lightly.

ok, i accept it, i accept having to upgrade my computer hardward to play
hl2, and that will include... new motherboard, new cpu, new memory, new
graphic card, new dvd-rom drive, new sound card, new case...
now let me get this straight AGAIN...
i ACCEPT paying 1000 dollars in hardware to play hl2, but i will NOT
ACCEPT EVER AT ALL INTERNET REQUIREMENT AS MANDATORY to play hl2!!!
ok? glade we agree

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

February 2, 2005 12:13:52 AM

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
news:o 4nuv0l6qo7ovn097uvchq0m536sl3o04o@4ax.com...
> On 31 Jan 2005, "Chadwick" wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Valve have had to judge whether their hardware requirements are too
> > high and whether there enough people able to play (and buy) the game.
> > If they get it wrong, they will go bust. It's not a decision they will
> > take lightly.
>
> ok, i accept it, i accept having to upgrade my computer hardward to play
> hl2, and that will include... new motherboard, new cpu, new memory, new
> graphic card, new dvd-rom drive, new sound card, new case...
> now let me get this straight AGAIN...
> i ACCEPT paying 1000 dollars in hardware to play hl2, but i will NOT
> ACCEPT EVER AT ALL INTERNET REQUIREMENT AS MANDATORY to play hl2!!!
> ok? glade we agree

But what about those poor souls that can't afford to upgrade?
You don't care about them.... you have no respect for them...
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 6:25:21 AM

difool wrote:
> ok, i accept it, i accept having to upgrade my computer hardward to
play
> hl2, and that will include... new motherboard, new cpu, new memory,
new
> graphic card, new dvd-rom drive, new sound card, new case...
> now let me get this straight AGAIN...
> i ACCEPT paying 1000 dollars in hardware to play hl2, but i will NOT
> ACCEPT EVER AT ALL INTERNET REQUIREMENT AS MANDATORY to play hl2!!!
> ok? glade we agree

If you're replacing that much gear, you might as well get a broadband
connection as well.

I was previously on 56k pay-as-you-go at 1p/minute. I didn't switch to
broadband until my internet bill was more than the monthly broadband
subscription. I'm only on baby broadband now (3x faster than 56k) and
frankly the speed difference is amazing. I can't imagine going back to
56k. It's made email, online banking, shopping, forums, software
updating, downloading and general browsing things I can do quickly and
enjoyably.

I'd recommend switching to broadband if you use the internet for any
length of time. Plus then you'll have added benefit of being able play
HL2 at no additional cost and with faster patching - result!

Alternatively, if you stay on dial-up, you need only go online when you
first install and register the game. It'll patch it straightaway, so
you might want to make a coffee at that point, but afterwards, you'll
always be in offline mode (because your dial-up isn't permanently
connected) and you'll never go near the Steam servers unless you
specifically decide to - result!
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:52:45 PM

On 2 Feb 2005, "Chadwick" wrote:

> If you're replacing that much gear, you might as well get a broadband
> connection as well.

no sir, i replace that gear cause i want a better pc gaming experience!
i replace that gear cause it will be good for me
buying a new cpu and gpu will make my pc games run and look better!
installing broadband will only favour valve!
so no sir, i will not pay only to benefit others and damage me

i guess, i have to write this every time i post...
you need a powerfull cpu, lots mem, fast gpu to play single-player games!
you don't need to have any kind of net at all to play single-player games!

> I was previously on 56k pay-as-you-go at 1p/minute. I didn't switch to
> broadband until my internet bill was more than the monthly broadband

if broadband suites you best good for you, but don't force it on others
not everyone is like you, and not everyone has you net needs, so please
realize not everyone needs and is whiling to play broadband, much less
have to change to broadband only to play a single-player game so a
publisher can force a system to make pc gamers dependant

> Alternatively, if you stay on dial-up, you need only go online when you
> first install and register the game. It'll patch it straightaway, so
> you might want to make a coffee at that point, but afterwards, you'll

you already pay 50 bucks for a game and you are asking me to pay more!
no! no! the game is already payed for! i refuse to pay any more!