HL2:Burn to CD Steam content..

Last response: in Video Games
January 30, 2005 11:57:22 PM

I have dial-up. My brother has a 3mbps cable connection. Would it be possible
to buy the retail version of HL2,download and burn to cd the necessary steam
content and install and play the game at my location? I doubt I'd get an answer
from Valve.

More about : hl2 burn steam content

January 31, 2005 12:57:19 AM

On 30 Jan 2005 20:57:22 GMT, yanquidawg@aol.com (YanquiDawg) wrote:

>I have dial-up. My brother has a 3mbps cable connection. Would it be possible
>to buy the retail version of HL2,download and burn to cd the necessary steam
>content and install and play the game at my location? I doubt I'd get an answer
>from Valve.

Install it on your bro's computer, use the Steam backup utility,
install Steam on your PC then restore the files. Steam will still need
to connect at least once on your PC though.
January 31, 2005 9:06:01 AM

difool wrote:
> more of the same

Ignroe him Yanquidawg. Difol is... well, when you play the game you'll
meet some manic super fast zombies. they move fast and they're
everywhere, mindlessly clawing at you. Difool is like an internet
version of that. Barely a post goes by without him attacking.
January 31, 2005 1:53:25 PM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Andrew wrote:

you're really the devil advocate!
lots of work must i do to always umask your real self!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 31, 2005 1:53:32 PM

On 30 Jan 2005, YanquiDawg wrote:

> I have dial-up. My brother has a 3mbps cable connection. Would it be possible
> to buy the retail version of HL2,download and burn to cd the necessary steam
> content and install and play the game at my location? I doubt I'd get an answer
> from Valve.

for god sake haven't you been reading this group????
don't you know by now dial-up is not suitable for steam!!!!
and don't pay attention to the steam lovers, cause they only want steam
infecting every pc gaming machine, and they will lie to you!

you must realize you don't have the system requirements to play hl2!
haven't you already enough problems in your life to get into another!
you can't install and play hl2 without internet access and you must
download a big deal of megabytes to patch the game and you can't do it
off-line with the usual separate local files!

i'm really getting tired of all this... so go ahead, if you want to jump
down and be reduced to nothing, do it... i don't care... i'm too tired

pc gamers are so anxious to play hl2 they will do anything
most pc gamers are weak... and whiling to humiliate themselves only to
play a single game... its sad... but what can i do about it? nothing

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 31, 2005 5:13:39 PM

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message

> for god sake haven't you been reading this group????
> don't you know by now dial-up is not suitable for steam!!!!

If you only have dialup and no access at all to broadband, then I would
avoid it. I've said that all along. If like me you have BB at work and
dialup at home then it's entirely usable and possible to have an offline
install at home and another at work, as long as both aren't logged in at
once.

> but what can i do about it? nothing

Keep posting ill-informed, badly-spelled rants?
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:16:02 AM

difool wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, "One Punch Mickey" wrote:
>
> that exactly the same as the OFFICIAL valve reply for not having
internet
> how can a supposably serious company say to its costumers to drive
miles
> away there computer only to play a pc game!!!!!

Seriously? Valve suggested packing your PC up and driving to somewhere
with broadband? If they did, then they really are a bunch of nutters.

I think you'll find that they've raised the hardware requirement to
"requires an internet connection, broadband recommended". I don't think
they publicised that very well though (I'm pretty sure it doesn't say
that on the box).

It's not so different to saying "requires 1500mhz processor, 3000mhz
recommended". I had to upgrade my graphics card to play the game.

The thing is, more and more people are getting on broadband, especially
to play online games, and Valve reckon there's enough of them out there
to still sell enough copies of HL2. Exactly the same as they reckon
there's enough people with decent graphics cards and fast processors.

For those without broadband, you have the option of long download
times, and probably laggy on-line play; or taking your CD, not your PC,
to a broadband connection and setting up your account there,
downloading the stuff, burning it to disc and taking the new disc back
home. Of course, you could take your PC if you wanted.

But equally, if your graphics card isn't up to spec you have the choice
of turning the eye candy down; buying a new card; or taking your PC to
someone with a decent card, taking it out of their machine, putting it
in yours and playing there.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 9:00:23 AM

YanquiDawg wrote:
> I have dial-up. My brother has a 3mbps cable connection. Would it be possible
> to buy the retail version of HL2,download and burn to cd the necessary steam
> content and install and play the game at my location? I doubt I'd get an answer
> from Valve.

"Captain, the turret fills with steam,
The feed-pipes burst below --
You can hear the hiss of the helpless ram,
You can hear the twisted runners jam."
And he answered, "Turn and go!"

--
best regards, mat
np: [winamp not running]

www.pdxshows.net
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:37:41 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, "One Punch Mickey" wrote:

that exactly the same as the OFFICIAL valve reply for not having internet
how can a supposably serious company say to its costumers to drive miles
away there computer only to play a pc game!!!!!
are you out of your mind???? would any company in their right mind say to
its costumers to cary along there computer miles away so they can use a
product they just bought!!!!
if you want to be made a FOOL your problem but don't try to recommend the
same to others!!!! ok!!!!
feel free to humiliate yourself
cary your heavy computer miles away home
and them knee at valve and beg "please master let me play hl2!!!"

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

February 1, 2005 3:27:06 PM

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, "One Punch Mickey" wrote:
>
> that exactly the same as the OFFICIAL valve reply for not having internet
> how can a supposably serious company say to its costumers to drive miles
> away there computer only to play a pc game!!!!!
> are you out of your mind???? would any company in their right mind say to
> its costumers to cary along there computer miles away so they can use a
> product they just bought!!!!
> if you want to be made a FOOL your problem but don't try to recommend the
> same to others!!!! ok!!!!

If you bothered, (or were indeed able) to read my posts you would see that:

I downloaded it and activated it at work.

I backed it up ON DVD and took it home and installed it.

I connected on my dialup there and it did some registration, after which
I've been playing it at home, offline, ever since, with no problem - and
playing DOD online at work. I don't have to carry any computers anywhere,
moron.

> feel free to humiliate yourself
> cary your heavy computer miles away home
> and them knee at valve and beg "please master let me play hl2!!!"

You really are a high-resolution, weapons-grade dolt. READ posts before
posting ranting replies.
February 1, 2005 5:08:20 PM

"One Punch Mickey" <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> You really are a high-resolution, weapons-grade dolt.

ROTFLMAO, that's priceless. I'm going to have to use that one sometime.

Jason
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:59:35 AM

OldDog wrote:
> "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Seriously? Valve suggested packing your PC up and driving to
somewhere
> > with broadband? If they did, then they really are a bunch of
nutters.

http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.c...
<Snip>
> "Bring the computer that will be playing offline to an available
internet
> connection at a friend's house, school or perhaps business. "

I stand corrected. They are a bunch of nutters. Surely it's easier to
create your account on a PC with a connection, burn the necessaries to
disc and take the disc back to your own PC? But I've not tried it, so I
don't know...

> > I think you'll find that they've raised the hardware requirement to
> > "requires an internet connection, broadband recommended". I don't
think
> > they publicised that very well though (I'm pretty sure it doesn't
say
> > that on the box).
> >
> > It's not so different to saying "requires 1500mhz processor,
3000mhz
> > recommended". I had to upgrade my graphics card to play the game.
> >
> While many of us in here might have access either at home or work to
> hi-speed, there must be thousands of users that either don't have
easy
> access to hi-speed or even a dialup connection. Some can't afford
it.
> Some pay by the min while online (this seems to be the case over in
UK and
> AUS).

Yup. But Valve reckon there are enough people out there with good
enough hardware (inc. processor, graphics card and internet
connection), or who will upgrade during the shelf-life of the game and
therefore might buy it. Previously you needed a fast processor and
recent graphics card to play a big new release game. Now you need an
internet connection as well. If you have a slow processor, old GPU and
56k net connection, the game will work but it will be slow and you'll
need to turn the settings down. Improve your hardware and the game
experience improves. Same as before, but it now includes net
connection.

As for online cost, there are lots of things that take longer with a
dial-up or cost more with a pay per minute connection. Getting email,
downloading anti-virus updates, and downloading music for example. And
now upgrading HL2.

> > The thing is, more and more people are getting on broadband,
especially
> > to play online games, and Valve reckon there's enough of them out
there
> > to still sell enough copies of HL2. Exactly the same as they reckon
> > there's enough people with decent graphics cards and fast
processors.

> Maybe in some countries like Japan, Korea and the US. But what
about in
> other countries like the UK, France, Spain, Mexico, ...?

In that case the game will not sell very well in those countries. Valve
will have had to take this into account. They probably reckon on all
the people who play Counterstrike, Day of Defeat and the other HL1 mods
going out and buying HL2. They're already on-line gamers so have
probably got the necessary connection capacity. For quite some time
it's been accepted that you need a broadband connection to really get
the best out of online gaming, even in the UK.

> > For those without broadband, you have the option of long download
> > times, and probably laggy on-line play; or taking your CD, not your
PC,
> > to a broadband connection and setting up your account there,
> > downloading the stuff, burning it to disc and taking the new disc
back
> > home. Of course, you could take your PC if you wanted.
> >
> Maybe, but like others have stated, this does seem to be a burden on
the
> non-internet gamer. Imagine doing this for every pc game or
software that
> you bought. :(

Yes, I agree. It would be pain in the arse, no discussion. But Valve
obviously reckons the non-internet gamer is a dying breed, in the same
way that Kodak believes the film camera is. In a way it's a
self-fulfilling prophecy...
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:19:35 AM

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> On 30 Jan 2005, YanquiDawg wrote:
>
> > I have dial-up. My brother has a 3mbps cable connection. Would it be
possible
> > to buy the retail version of HL2,download and burn to cd the necessary
steam
> > content and install and play the game at my location? I doubt I'd get an
answer
> > from Valve.
>
> for god sake haven't you been reading this group????
> don't you know by now dial-up is not suitable for steam!!!!
> and don't pay attention to the steam lovers, cause they only want steam
> infecting every pc gaming machine, and they will lie to you!

I'm a Steam user, and everything difool stated above is the turth.
Wait!
If I'm a liar, then the above is false.
But difool only speaks the turth?

Oh my head!!!
I get such a headache when I have to think.

> you must realize you don't have the system requirements to play hl2!
> haven't you already enough problems in your life to get into another!
> you can't install and play hl2 without internet access and you must
> download a big deal of megabytes to patch the game and you can't do it
> off-line with the usual separate local files!
>
> i'm really getting tired of all this... so go ahead, if you want to jump
> down and be reduced to nothing, do it... i don't care... i'm too tired

You sound down.

When I get tired of an issue, I'll walk away for a few days, read some
books, visit the museum, paint a little, and then I'm ready to go at it
again.

> pc gamers are so anxious to play hl2 they will do anything
> most pc gamers are weak... and whiling to humiliate themselves only to
> play a single game... its sad... but what can i do about it? nothing

I'm anxious to play Doom3.
But I won't do anything "evil"; like upgrade to WinXP to play it.
Course, I'm sure there's some folks out there that went ahead and humilated
themselves by sending $ to Bill Gates to pay for his multi-million dollar
home on the lake.

There's weak people that upgraded to WinXP, and then there's hard core
gamers that still use Win98/ME. All the Win95/98/ME users in the dog pound
give me a HOWL!
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:31:31 AM

> difool wrote:
> > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, "One Punch Mickey" wrote:
> >
> > that exactly the same as the OFFICIAL valve reply for not having
> internet
> > how can a supposably serious company say to its costumers to drive
> miles
> > away there computer only to play a pc game!!!!!
>
> Seriously? Valve suggested packing your PC up and driving to somewhere
> with broadband? If they did, then they really are a bunch of nutters.

http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.c...

Click the "How To Make Steam Offline Mode Work" link.

Two Scenarios:
1. My friend has no Internet connection, how can he set things up so he can
play offline?

2. I want to be able to play at a LAN party and they won't have an internet
connection there, how can we all play offline?

Answer:
There are several ways to do this that will work for players without
Internet access as well as for LAN Parties where there won't be internet
access.

Note:
You have to be online somewhere at least once to perform all of the
following steps.

The first step here is to perform the latest update and capture it. This is
very important to make sure you get the latest content and bug fixes.
Everyone that will be participating at the LAN event must have the latest
update!

Easiest way
Bring the computer that will be playing offline to an available internet
connection at a friend's house, school or perhaps business. Log into the
account and do all the updates, make sure it all works.

Then "exit" (do not log out!) from Steam.

Physically unplug the computer from the internet, start up Steam and let it
fall back into offline mode. Make sure the computer will play both
Listenserver (LAN), client and the single player ok, then exit from Steam
again.

> I think you'll find that they've raised the hardware requirement to
> "requires an internet connection, broadband recommended". I don't think
> they publicised that very well though (I'm pretty sure it doesn't say
> that on the box).
>
> It's not so different to saying "requires 1500mhz processor, 3000mhz
> recommended". I had to upgrade my graphics card to play the game.

While many of us in here might have access either at home or work to
hi-speed, there must be thousands of users that either don't have easy
access to hi-speed or even a dialup connection. Some can't afford it.
Some pay by the min while online (this seems to be the case over in UK and
AUS).

> The thing is, more and more people are getting on broadband, especially
> to play online games, and Valve reckon there's enough of them out there
> to still sell enough copies of HL2. Exactly the same as they reckon
> there's enough people with decent graphics cards and fast processors.

Maybe in some countries like Japan, Korea and the US. But what about in
other countries like the UK, France, Spain, Mexico, ...?

> For those without broadband, you have the option of long download
> times, and probably laggy on-line play; or taking your CD, not your PC,
> to a broadband connection and setting up your account there,
> downloading the stuff, burning it to disc and taking the new disc back
> home. Of course, you could take your PC if you wanted.

Maybe, but like others have stated, this does seem to be a burden on the
non-internet gamer. Imagine doing this for every pc game or software that
you bought. :(

> But equally, if your graphics card isn't up to spec you have the choice
> of turning the eye candy down; buying a new card; or taking your PC to
> someone with a decent card, taking it out of their machine, putting it
> in yours and playing there.

Some folks do have family and friends that they could go to. People like
me would have to drive around the neighborhoods hoping to find a Wi-Fi
connection so I could tap in. Cause my family doesn't want me over for
Thanksgiving, and my friends won't return my calls. ;)
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 10:27:51 AM

OldDog wrote:

> I'm anxious to play Doom3.
> But I won't do anything "evil"; like upgrade to WinXP to play it.
> Course, I'm sure there's some folks out there that went ahead and
> humilated themselves by sending $ to Bill Gates to pay for his
> multi-million dollar home on the lake.

Come on OldDog, buy WinXP. Be one of us.
One of us!
One of us!
One of us!
You will cave eventually, like you did with master valve.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 2:46:53 PM

On 1 Feb 2005, "Chadwick" wrote:

> Seriously? Valve suggested packing your PC up and driving to somewhere
> with broadband? If they did, then they really are a bunch of nutters.

yes! its insanely true! just read olddog post!
like yourself i could not believe when i first heard it
it valve official reply to gamers without internet access
valve deserves spitting in its face

> I think you'll find that they've raised the hardware requirement to
> "requires an internet connection, broadband recommended". I don't think
> they publicised that very well though (I'm pretty sure it doesn't say
> that on the box).

oh no it doesn't!
packaging labeling in hl2 is one of the most outrageous lies any pc gamer
has ever faced!
and the "broadband recommended" would not be enough
hl2 retail packaging should have a complete disclaimer about steam and what
it means and what it does and what it requires

since the beginning i've been shouting out loud for the incredibly wrong
hiding information valve is doing with hl2 and steam

> It's not so different to saying "requires 1500mhz processor, 3000mhz
> recommended". I had to upgrade my graphics card to play the game.

oh no... i will not go again with this
but them... you make me...
MODERN SINGLE-PLAYER GAMES REQUIRE FAST POWERFULL PROCESSOR TO RUN!!!!
MODERN SINGLE-PLAYER GAMES DON'T REQUIRE INTRUSIVE ONLINE ACTIVATION TO RUN!!!

> The thing is, more and more people are getting on broadband, especially
> to play online games, and Valve reckon there's enough of them out there
> to still sell enough copies of HL2. Exactly the same as they reckon
> there's enough people with decent graphics cards and fast processors.

valve simply throw away millions of pc gamers to the trash cause they fell
like it and in the long run its better for them
they want control and power and steam will give them all that and specially
what they have been dreaming about... conquering and monopolizing pc games

> For those without broadband, you have the option of long download
> times, and probably laggy on-line play; or taking your CD, not your PC,
> to a broadband connection and setting up your account there,
> downloading the stuff, burning it to disc and taking the new disc back
> home. Of course, you could take your PC if you wanted.

oh this one is great... so now you not only need a broadband internet
connection but you also need a powerfull pc able to run hl2, a hard-disk
with enough free space to install it, a dvd recorder and dvd blank media
let me ask you this... have you lots of friends who would do this for you?
don't you feel its asking a friend WAY TOO MUCH?????
btw friend can you also lend me your house and car and credit card? right?
its completely unreasonable what you are asking a friend for!!!
asking him to use his house and his broadband internet connection!
asking him to use his own computer!
asking him to install games in his own computer!
asking him to download many megabytes in his own computer!
asking him to use his own dvd recorder!
asking him to give you a dvd blank disc!
asking him to wait for you to install, patch, burn a dvd in his own computer and house!

are you always this abusive to all your friends?????

> But equally, if your graphics card isn't up to spec you have the choice
> of turning the eye candy down; buying a new card; or taking your PC to
> someone with a decent card, taking it out of their machine, putting it
> in yours and playing there.

don't be ridiculous
i have self respect and pride!
i don't abuse a friendship like that!
btw do you also go to your friends and ask for money so they will buy hl2
for you?

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

February 2, 2005 2:46:58 PM

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

<snip reasonable worth reading post>

this was your best post to date
i liked what i read... and you know i really MEAN what i say
with this you showed respect for me and many others
thanks

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

February 4, 2005 12:31:01 AM

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
news:p vc101hdvu6qoie58p7o36tfd4mjqjt9u9@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
>
> <snip reasonable worth reading post>
>
> this was your best post to date
> i liked what i read... and you know i really MEAN what i say
> with this you showed respect for me and many others
> thanks

Well thank you.
But I'm working on a "Pro-Steam" post that will blow everything else that
I've written away. ;)
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:35:54 AM

"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> OldDog wrote:
>
> > I'm anxious to play Doom3.
> > But I won't do anything "evil"; like upgrade to WinXP to play it.
> > Course, I'm sure there's some folks out there that went ahead and
> > humilated themselves by sending $ to Bill Gates to pay for his
> > multi-million dollar home on the lake.
>
> Come on OldDog, buy WinXP. Be one of us.
> One of us!
> One of us!
> One of us!
> You will cave eventually, like you did with master valve.

Must resist.
Must not turn to the dark side.
Must hold out.... from the zombie hordes.

Speaking of zombies, we just watched "Shaun of the Dead" on DVD. This
OldDog gives it two paws up and one howl at the moon.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:52:49 PM

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

> Well thank you.
> But I'm working on a "Pro-Steam" post that will blow everything else that
> I've written away. ;)

off course not, but you have now a expanded view about steam and all the
different issues it has and that not every pc gamer is like yourself so
it completely fair to respect valid steam complaines when the truth is
steam is trying to introdute an all new way to buy/install/play pc games

you are still and will be always pro-steam, but what is important is that
you now can also try to see it with a different perspective
the next steam will be you also defending steam should not be mandatory