Hard Disk Cluster Size

Hey everyone, im thinking of increasing my cluster size from the default 4k to sumthing bigger (maybe 32k or 64k). Will this result in a performance increase? i know about the wasted space that will increase as a result of this.
7 answers Last reply
More about hard disk cluster size
  1. It is a good idea to go above 4k, i would say that 64k is my best congfiguration. But i do alot of gamming, and cpu intensive programing. So when i do alot of queries the 64k clusters help speed up anything that hdd intensive. So if your a gamer the odds are you want the same configuration. If you dont game or doing anyting hdd intensive then your just better off with 4k.

-Tim

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet get smaller.
  2. How do you increase the cluster size?

Zaul

Today's just another day where everything you do affects your future.
  3. if were all on the same pager and were talking about controllers then it should be done though bios.

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet get smaller.
  4. you can use a program like Partition Magic to resize the clusters, im not sure if u have to format first though, will update when i know as im doing it soon.
  5. I believe 16K is worth a look. :smile:

Trust me.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>
  6. Back when we were in FAT16 we were losing 1/3 of our drive to cluster loss. And that is 32K. How much would you lose for 64K?

Of course, you could probably keep that to a minimum if you had more big files like movies, and fewer small text documents and pictures.
  7. I never suggested 64K.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Default Performance Storage