Sign in with
Your question

Hard Disk Cluster Size

Last response: in Storage
July 17, 2002 10:44:47 AM

Hey everyone, im thinking of increasing my cluster size from the default 4k to sumthing bigger (maybe 32k or 64k). Will this result in a performance increase? i know about the wasted space that will increase as a result of this.

More about : hard disk cluster size

July 17, 2002 2:11:37 PM

It is a good idea to go above 4k, i would say that 64k is my best congfiguration. But i do alot of gamming, and cpu intensive programing. So when i do alot of queries the 64k clusters help speed up anything that hdd intensive. So if your a gamer the odds are you want the same configuration. If you dont game or doing anyting hdd intensive then your just better off with 4k.

-Tim

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet get smaller.
July 17, 2002 2:17:51 PM

How do you increase the cluster size?

Zaul

Today's just another day where everything you do affects your future.
Related resources
July 17, 2002 2:25:36 PM

if were all on the same pager and were talking about controllers then it should be done though bios.

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet get smaller.
July 17, 2002 8:25:06 PM

you can use a program like Partition Magic to resize the clusters, im not sure if u have to format first though, will update when i know as im doing it soon.
July 18, 2002 8:12:16 PM

I believe 16K is worth a look. :smile:

Trust me.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>
July 18, 2002 8:35:49 PM

Back when we were in FAT16 we were losing 1/3 of our drive to cluster loss. And that is 32K. How much would you lose for 64K?

Of course, you could probably keep that to a minimum if you had more big files like movies, and fewer small text documents and pictures.
July 18, 2002 8:47:12 PM

I never suggested 64K.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>
!