Back from the dead: Lorenzo Music..?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 8, 2004 2:09:00 PM

Anyone heard the new Nantucket Nectars commercials, where they make fun
of their granola image? I could swear the voice was Lorenzo Music.
Only not dead.

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | Hi!

in article MPG.1b7ffe0519868be79897d7@news-east.giganews.com, Jay Levitt at
jay+news@jay.fm wrote on 8/8/04 10:09 AM:

> Anyone heard the new Nantucket Nectars commercials, where they make fun
> of their granola image? I could swear the voice was Lorenzo Music.
> Only not dead.

what the hell HAPPENED to Nant Nect anyway? somebody buy them out? They
redid all their labels so you can't EASILY see whats a real JUICE (their
only real market point IMO) and what's a sugar/syrup-sweetened
Drink/Cocktail/Beverege. We don't need Snapple-II...
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 6:54:34 PM

JoVee wrote:

> what the hell HAPPENED to Nant Nect anyway? somebody buy them out? They
> redid all their labels so you can't EASILY see whats a real JUICE (their
> only real market point IMO) and what's a sugar/syrup-sweetened
> Drink/Cocktail/Beverege. We don't need Snapple-II...

Friend of ours calls drinks like that "hummingbird feed."
August 9, 2004 4:19:39 PM

> I could swear the voice was Lorenzo Music.
> Only not dead.

There are several Voice Over people that can do a decent Lorenzo Music
impression.

Another way to do it would be to hang a microphone over a ouija board and
hold a seance. But using a sound-alike would be faster.

--
Chris White, Freelance Advertising Writer & Voice Overs*
Email: chris@chriswhite.com Web: www.chriswhite.com

In article <HuNRc.37732$cv5.33800@lakeread07>, chris@chriswhite.com
says...
> > I could swear the voice was Lorenzo Music.
> > Only not dead.
>
> There are several Voice Over people that can do a decent Lorenzo Music
> impression.

Oh, I'm sure.. it just seems odd that someone would deliberately do that
except when voicing Garfield. I mean, I can do a pretty good Michael
McDonald, and a better Kermit than Brian Henson, but I wouldn't do
either for a juice ad. Perhaps he's gone from a unique voice to being a
"style", like Don LaFontaine and Hal Douglas.

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | Hi!
Faster: jay at jay dot eff-em | Where are we going?
http://www.jay.fm | Why am I in this handbasket?
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 8:04:10 PM

>> There are several Voice Over people that can do a decent
>> Lorenzo Music impression.

> Oh, I'm sure... it just seems odd that someone would deliberately do that
> except when voicing Garfield.

Now that they have Bill Murray, it's moot.

> I mean, I can do ... a better Kermit than Brian Henson...

I don't think it's Brian Henson who does Kermit. Regardless, whoever does him is
poor. Not only is the voice not _that_ close (compare with the superb Loony
Tunes characters, which are almost indistinguishable from Mel Blanc), but the
original Kermit was edgy and even a little warped. The current Kermit is much
too good-natured.
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 8:57:54 PM

In article <10hfmnrrur53t95@corp.supernews.com>, williams@nwlink.com
says...
> I don't think it's Brian Henson who does Kermit.

Oops. Right you are. Apparently it's Steve Whitmire.

> Regardless, whoever does him is poor. Not only is the voice not
> _that_ close (compare with the superb Loony Tunes characters,
> which are almost indistinguishable from Mel Blanc),

Agreed. I do a dead-on Kermit - to the point where one friend insisted
I never do it again, because it freaked her out - and I was very miffed
that one young child wasn't too impressed with it, until I realized that
at her age, she had probably never heard Jim Henson.

> but the
> original Kermit was edgy and even a little warped. The current Kermit is much
> too good-natured.

I think this is true of the Muppets overall; like the Flintstones, they
were really written for adults as much as children. Today, Big Bird
sees Snuffleuppagus, and the guy who bangs his head on the piano is
gone.

--
!