God, I love it (s-t-e-a-m)

Last response: in Video Games
February 1, 2005 1:09:50 AM

I know this will bring out the difool crowd down on me, and I don't want
to troll, but I honestly am loving this whole "steam" thing. So much so
that I felt compelled to add my voice to the "pro-steam" crowd, no
matter how little it changes things on this newsgroup.

First I used my HL key when setting up Steam, and got all of my previous
HL products (well, except for Blue Shift...sigh...) quickly installed
and available.

I then bought Half-Life 2 via Steam (silver) it downloaded easily,
unlocked quickly, and I got the whole Valve catalog to boot, including
games such as Condition Zero.

I had a few problems with stuttering in HL2, but automagically got
patches as soon as they were available, fixes that took care of the
problem. No hunting for patches, registering with sites to download, and
so on. Start the game up and it's up to date.

I appreciate the online aspect of Steam, being able to get a server list
for all the Valve games, not just a separate server listing for HL2 or
Counter Strike, or whatever.

Now I have a cable modem, so download speeds aren't a problem for me,
but I'm honestly not seeing a downside here. No CD check garbage, No
hunting for the latest update, automatic patches, an integrated
launcher, plenty of additional content being added nearly
weekly...where's the downside?

I wish all games were distributed via an online distribution system like
Steam. I really do.

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

More about : god love

February 1, 2005 1:09:51 AM

Kevin, i honestly fear for your life
RUN and hide before this whole forum attacks you
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 1:19:24 AM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:09:50 -0500, Kevin Steele
<net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:

>I know this will bring out the difool crowd down on me, and I don't want
>to troll, but I honestly am loving this whole "steam" thing. So much so
>that I felt compelled to add my voice to the "pro-steam" crowd, no
>matter how little it changes things on this newsgroup.
>
>First I used my HL key when setting up Steam, and got all of my previous
>HL products (well, except for Blue Shift...sigh...) quickly installed
>and available.
>
>I then bought Half-Life 2 via Steam (silver) it downloaded easily,
>unlocked quickly, and I got the whole Valve catalog to boot, including
>games such as Condition Zero.
>
>I had a few problems with stuttering in HL2, but automagically got
>patches as soon as they were available, fixes that took care of the
>problem. No hunting for patches, registering with sites to download, and
>so on. Start the game up and it's up to date.
>
>I appreciate the online aspect of Steam, being able to get a server list
>for all the Valve games, not just a separate server listing for HL2 or
>Counter Strike, or whatever.
>
>Now I have a cable modem, so download speeds aren't a problem for me,
>but I'm honestly not seeing a downside here. No CD check garbage, No
>hunting for the latest update, automatic patches, an integrated
>launcher, plenty of additional content being added nearly
>weekly...where's the downside?
>
>I wish all games were distributed via an online distribution system like
>Steam. I really do.

Well, I neither love it or hate it, but I'd certainly rather just have
the game on a disk, install it and play it. Call me old fashioned in
that way. I won't be buying any other games that require STEAM
in the future no matter how good they might be.

I've been done with HL2 for a few weeks now, and I'd like to
give the game to one of my friends but can't seem to without
giving away my entire account. Is there a way to "unregister" a
STEAM powered game, or am I stuck with it for my Full Life?

mjs
February 1, 2005 8:04:06 AM

Kevin Steele wrote:

> I know this will bring out the difool crowd down on me, and I don't
> want to troll, but I honestly am loving this whole "steam" thing. So
> much so that I felt compelled to add my voice to the "pro-steam"
> crowd, no matter how little it changes things on this newsgroup.
>
> First I used my HL key when setting up Steam, and got all of my
> previous HL products (well, except for Blue Shift...sigh...) quickly
> installed and available.
>
> I then bought Half-Life 2 via Steam (silver) it downloaded easily,
> unlocked quickly, and I got the whole Valve catalog to boot,
> including games such as Condition Zero.
>
> I had a few problems with stuttering in HL2, but automagically got
> patches as soon as they were available, fixes that took care of the
> problem. No hunting for patches, registering with sites to download,
> and so on. Start the game up and it's up to date.
>
> I appreciate the online aspect of Steam, being able to get a server
> list for all the Valve games, not just a separate server listing for
> HL2 or Counter Strike, or whatever.
>
> Now I have a cable modem, so download speeds aren't a problem for me,
> but I'm honestly not seeing a downside here. No CD check garbage, No
> hunting for the latest update, automatic patches, an integrated
> launcher, plenty of additional content being added nearly
> weekly...where's the downside?
>
> I wish all games were distributed via an online distribution system
> like Steam. I really do.

here here

--
DalienX
Anonymous

Kevin Steele wrote:
> I know this will bring out the difool crowd down on me, and I don't want
> to troll, but I honestly am loving this whole "steam" thing. So much so
> that I felt compelled to add my voice to the "pro-steam" crowd, no
> matter how little it changes things on this newsgroup.
>
> First I used my HL key when setting up Steam, and got all of my previous
> HL products (well, except for Blue Shift...sigh...) quickly installed
> and available.
>
> I then bought Half-Life 2 via Steam (silver) it downloaded easily,
> unlocked quickly, and I got the whole Valve catalog to boot, including
> games such as Condition Zero.
>
> I had a few problems with stuttering in HL2, but automagically got
> patches as soon as they were available, fixes that took care of the
> problem. No hunting for patches, registering with sites to download, and
> so on. Start the game up and it's up to date.
>
> I appreciate the online aspect of Steam, being able to get a server list
> for all the Valve games, not just a separate server listing for HL2 or
> Counter Strike, or whatever.
>
> Now I have a cable modem, so download speeds aren't a problem for me,
> but I'm honestly not seeing a downside here. No CD check garbage, No
> hunting for the latest update, automatic patches, an integrated
> launcher, plenty of additional content being added nearly
> weekly...where's the downside?
>
> I wish all games were distributed via an online distribution system like
> Steam. I really do.

"Captain, the turret fills with steam,
The feed-pipes burst below --
You can hear the hiss of the helpless ram,
You can hear the twisted runners jam."
And he answered, "Turn and go!"

--
best regards, mat
np: [winamp not running]

www.pdxshows.net
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 10:47:28 AM

Frank thought about it a bit, then said...
> Kevin, i honestly fear for your life
> RUN and hide before this whole forum attacks you

I know, I know - I really debated about posting, but I guess I really am
a big "fanboi" of Steam...I'm finding my flameproof long underwear as I
write this. ;-)

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
www.retroblast.com
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 11:19:39 AM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:09:50 -0500, Kevin Steele
<net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:

>weekly...where's the downside?

If you have to ask that, then obviously you can't read, because the
drawbacks in Steam system have been discussed here quite a lot.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 12:40:16 PM

Mike Starke wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:09:50 -0500, Kevin Steele
> <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:
>
>>I know this will bring out the difool crowd down on me, and I don't want
>>to troll, but I honestly am loving this whole "steam" thing. So much so
>>that I felt compelled to add my voice to the "pro-steam" crowd, no
>>matter how little it changes things on this newsgroup.
>>
>>First I used my HL key when setting up Steam, and got all of my previous
>>HL products (well, except for Blue Shift...sigh...) quickly installed
>>and available.
>>
>>I then bought Half-Life 2 via Steam (silver) it downloaded easily,
>>unlocked quickly, and I got the whole Valve catalog to boot, including
>>games such as Condition Zero.
>>
>>I had a few problems with stuttering in HL2, but automagically got
>>patches as soon as they were available, fixes that took care of the
>>problem. No hunting for patches, registering with sites to download, and
>>so on. Start the game up and it's up to date.
>>
>>I appreciate the online aspect of Steam, being able to get a server list
>>for all the Valve games, not just a separate server listing for HL2 or
>>Counter Strike, or whatever.
>>
>>Now I have a cable modem, so download speeds aren't a problem for me,
>>but I'm honestly not seeing a downside here. No CD check garbage, No
>>hunting for the latest update, automatic patches, an integrated
>>launcher, plenty of additional content being added nearly
>>weekly...where's the downside?
>>
>>I wish all games were distributed via an online distribution system like
>>Steam. I really do.
>

> Well, I neither love it or hate it, but I'd certainly rather just have
> the game on a disk, install it and play it. Call me old fashioned in
> that way. I won't be buying any other games that require STEAM
> in the future no matter how good they might be.
>
> I've been done with HL2 for a few weeks now, and I'd like to
> give the game to one of my friends but can't seem to without
> giving away my entire account. Is there a way to "unregister" a
> STEAM powered game, or am I stuck with it for my Full Life?

Just feel free to crack it and that's all.
> mjs
February 1, 2005 2:09:16 PM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 05:59:19 -0800, Vader des Vaderlands
<vader@vaderlands.nl> wrote:

>"Captain, the turret fills with steam,
>The feed-pipes burst below --
>You can hear the hiss of the helpless ram,
>You can hear the twisted runners jam."
>And he answered, "Turn and go!"

This wasn't funny the first time nor the 20th time.

Pluvious
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:37:58 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Kevin Steele wrote:

<sniped the usual media talk trash>

> Kevin Steele
> RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
> www.retroblast.com

no doubt why you wrote such complete trash! you are from the media!
you from the media have been disgustingly sold out to the publishers!
i haven't even ONCE seen a serious report in the media about STEAM, not
even ONE!
you media only care about pleasing the publishers and having lots of
advertisement!
you are a disgrased! a bunch of sold out losers!
go away cause there is no place in here for hipocrites like yourself!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

February 1, 2005 2:38:00 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Mike Starke wrote:

> Well, I neither love it or hate it, but I'd certainly rather just have
> the game on a disk, install it and play it. Call me old fashioned in
> that way. I won't be buying any other games that require STEAM
> in the future no matter how good they might be.

Mike the guy is from the media! a sold-out for the publishers!
this is our fight! this is something only US GAMERS know about!
and you are not old fashioned! we only fight for our freedom!
the issue here is freedom!
obviously the publishers don't care about it cause they want the
power, and the media doesn't care also cause what they want is
more advertisement revenues from publishers

we had already in this group a statement by someone for the
publishers, and its as clear as water
they want to take away our freedom and use damaging systems like steam
and we are now having a statement by the media which i already knew is
completely sold-out to the publishers

Mike we have only ourselves to fight steam
it will be very tough fight, cause we are the underdog, but i believe
we will win cause we own the TRUTH! and that gives a lot of strength!
we are the GOOD guys fight the evil, so there has to be a HAPPY ENDING!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

February 1, 2005 3:42:29 PM

riku thought about it a bit, then said...
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:09:50 -0500, Kevin Steele
> <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:
>
> >weekly...where's the downside?
>
> If you have to ask that, then obviously you can't read, because the
> drawbacks in Steam system have been discussed here quite a lot.

I'm not seeing any downsides in my experience - in fact, it's been
nothing but positives for me. Obviously you disagree.

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
www.retroblast.com
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 3:45:49 PM

difool thought about it a bit, then said...
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Kevin Steele wrote:
>
> <sniped the usual media talk trash>
>
> > Kevin Steele
> > RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
> > www.retroblast.com
>
> no doubt why you wrote such complete trash! you are from the media!

Wow, that's the first time I've been lumped in with the "media" -
thanks! I'll have mark this day down somewhere...

> you from the media have been disgustingly sold out to the publishers!

I must have misplaced my check from Valve. Gabe, can you help? ;-)

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
www.retroblast.com
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 4:31:35 PM

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 07:47:28 -0500, Kevin Steele
<net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:

>Frank thought about it a bit, then said...
>> Kevin, i honestly fear for your life
>> RUN and hide before this whole forum attacks you
>
>I know, I know - I really debated about posting, but I guess I really am
>a big "fanboi" of Steam...I'm finding my flameproof long underwear as I
>write this. ;-)

Why are so many Steam supporters acting as some misunderstood drama
queens? Or is your issue only with difool? You really take him
seriously? I think he is walter mitty in disguise.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:38:51 AM

Thusly Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com> Spake Unto All:

>>"Captain, the turret fills with steam,
>>The feed-pipes burst below --
>>You can hear the hiss of the helpless ram,
>>You can hear the twisted runners jam."
>>And he answered, "Turn and go!"
>
>This wasn't funny the first time nor the 20th time.

True, but the 17th time I felt something. Might've just been wind.
February 2, 2005 2:26:36 AM

"Pluvious" wrote
> Vader des Vaderlands wrote:

>>"Captain, the turret fills with steam,
>>The feed-pipes burst below --
>>You can hear the hiss of the helpless ram,
>>You can hear the twisted runners jam."
>>And he answered, "Turn and go!"

> This wasn't funny the first time nor the 20th time.

I'm guessing that he's trying to make a point. And he's not being subtle.

Perhaps he thinks that *all* posts about Steam (pro and con) are rehashing
the same arguments over and over and over...
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 6:09:23 AM

Vince wrote:
> Perhaps he thinks that *all* posts about Steam (pro and con) are
rehashing
> the same arguments over and over and over...

Perhaps he just likes poetry. I noticed that he's posted at least two
different verses, each featuring the word "steam".
Perhaps he's a Vogon?
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 2:42:31 PM

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:42:29 -0500, Kevin Steele
<net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:

>> >weekly...where's the downside?
>>
>> If you have to ask that, then obviously you can't read, because the
>> drawbacks in Steam system have been discussed here quite a lot.
>
>I'm not seeing any downsides in my experience - in fact, it's been
>nothing but positives for me. Obviously you disagree.

Yep. Either I could list them for you, or you could try to read some
older messages, because they have been discussed for ages.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 2:47:15 PM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005, riku wrote:

what's your problem?????
you go away from this group for some days and you return with this talk?
ok we have completely different styles, and probably we have different
reasons to fight steam, but why going after me man?
please!
valve and steam are already big enough for you to only focus on them!
its them you need to focus!
you don't like my style... too bad... it happens... but please focus
on the real ISSUE! fighting steam!
isn't that what also makes you move?
i'm only here for pc games and to defend them!
i truly believe steam damages pc games, so i go against it
nothing more makes me be here!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

February 2, 2005 10:52:28 PM

Pluvious wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 05:59:19 -0800, Vader des Vaderlands
> <vader@vaderlands.nl> wrote:
>

>>"Captain, the turret fills with steam,
>>The feed-pipes burst below --
>>You can hear the hiss of the helpless ram,
>>You can hear the twisted runners jam."
>>And he answered, "Turn and go!"
>

> This wasn't funny the first time nor the 20th time.
>
> Pluvious

It's funny how true that sentiment transverses to the other discussions
running around here of late.

--
best regards, mat
np: [winamp not running]

www.pdxshows.net
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 1:10:36 AM

Mike Starke wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:09:50 -0500, Kevin Steele
> <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:
>
>> I know this will bring out the difool crowd down on me, and I don't
>> want to troll, but I honestly am loving this whole "steam" thing. So
>> much so that I felt compelled to add my voice to the "pro-steam"
>> crowd, no matter how little it changes things on this newsgroup.
>>
>> First I used my HL key when setting up Steam, and got all of my
>> previous HL products (well, except for Blue Shift...sigh...) quickly
>> installed and available.
>>
>> I then bought Half-Life 2 via Steam (silver) it downloaded easily,
>> unlocked quickly, and I got the whole Valve catalog to boot,
>> including games such as Condition Zero.
>>
>> I had a few problems with stuttering in HL2, but automagically got
>> patches as soon as they were available, fixes that took care of the
>> problem. No hunting for patches, registering with sites to download,
>> and so on. Start the game up and it's up to date.
>>
>> I appreciate the online aspect of Steam, being able to get a server
>> list for all the Valve games, not just a separate server listing for
>> HL2 or Counter Strike, or whatever.
>>
>> Now I have a cable modem, so download speeds aren't a problem for me,
>> but I'm honestly not seeing a downside here. No CD check garbage, No
>> hunting for the latest update, automatic patches, an integrated
>> launcher, plenty of additional content being added nearly
>> weekly...where's the downside?
>>
>> I wish all games were distributed via an online distribution system
>> like Steam. I really do.
>

> Well, I neither love it or hate it, but I'd certainly rather just have
> the game on a disk, install it and play it. Call me old fashioned in
> that way. I won't be buying any other games that require STEAM
> in the future no matter how good they might be.
>
> I've been done with HL2 for a few weeks now, and I'd like to
> give the game to one of my friends but can't seem to without
> giving away my entire account. Is there a way to "unregister" a
> STEAM powered game, or am I stuck with it for my Full Life?
>
> mjs

if you won't be buying any other steam games then what difference does it
make if you give him your account?

--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
Anonymous

riku wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:09:50 -0500, Kevin Steele
> <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:
>
>> weekly...where's the downside?
>
> If you have to ask that, then obviously you can't read, because the
> drawbacks in Steam system have been discussed here quite a lot.

the problem is difool alot of people have filtered out him and steam posts
cause they got annoyed with his rantings, now I really don't have any major
problems with steam I think that an option for offline mode, not just
pressing cancel or blocking it with a fire wall or whatever, should be
added, I even think that one off online activation should remain but apart
from the offline mode problems then I really dont have any major grievances
with it. If there were more proper debates or discussions about steam I and
many others would be happy but until difool leaves or gives up his charade
of being really anti steam and not just taking the pis then its not going to
happen

--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 1:33:57 AM

Stoned Monkey wrote:
> riku wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:09:50 -0500, Kevin Steele
>> <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:
>>
>>> weekly...where's the downside?
>>
>> If you have to ask that, then obviously you can't read, because the
>> drawbacks in Steam system have been discussed here quite a lot.
>
> the problem is difool alot of people have filtered out him and steam
> posts cause they got annoyed with his rantings, now I really don't
> have any major problems with steam I think that an option for offline
> mode, not just pressing cancel or blocking it with a fire wall or
> whatever, should be added, I even think that one off online
> activation should remain but apart from the offline mode problems
> then I really dont have any major grievances with it. If there were
> more proper debates or discussions about steam I and many others
> would be happy but until difool leaves or gives up his charade of
> being really anti steam and not just taking the pis then its not
> going to happen

also not just difool but the other ranting loons from both sides, I almost
forgot about them

--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 7:28:51 PM

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:10:36 -0000, "Stoned Monkey"
<tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>if you won't be buying any other steam games then what difference does it
>make if you give him your account?

Because I still play Counterstrike

mjs
!