God, I love it (s-t-e-a-m)

I know this will bring out the difool crowd down on me, and I don't want
to troll, but I honestly am loving this whole "steam" thing. So much so
that I felt compelled to add my voice to the "pro-steam" crowd, no
matter how little it changes things on this newsgroup.

First I used my HL key when setting up Steam, and got all of my previous
HL products (well, except for Blue Shift...sigh...) quickly installed
and available.

I then bought Half-Life 2 via Steam (silver) it downloaded easily,
unlocked quickly, and I got the whole Valve catalog to boot, including
games such as Condition Zero.

I had a few problems with stuttering in HL2, but automagically got
patches as soon as they were available, fixes that took care of the
problem. No hunting for patches, registering with sites to download, and
so on. Start the game up and it's up to date.

I appreciate the online aspect of Steam, being able to get a server list
for all the Valve games, not just a separate server listing for HL2 or
Counter Strike, or whatever.

Now I have a cable modem, so download speeds aren't a problem for me,
but I'm honestly not seeing a downside here. No CD check garbage, No
hunting for the latest update, automatic patches, an integrated
launcher, plenty of additional content being added nearly
weekly...where's the downside?

I wish all games were distributed via an online distribution system like
Steam. I really do.

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

    Kevin, i honestly fear for your life
    RUN and hide before this whole forum attacks you

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:09:50 -0500, Kevin Steele
    <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:

    >I know this will bring out the difool crowd down on me, and I don't want
    >to troll, but I honestly am loving this whole "steam" thing. So much so
    >that I felt compelled to add my voice to the "pro-steam" crowd, no
    >matter how little it changes things on this newsgroup.
    >
    >First I used my HL key when setting up Steam, and got all of my previous
    >HL products (well, except for Blue Shift...sigh...) quickly installed
    >and available.
    >
    >I then bought Half-Life 2 via Steam (silver) it downloaded easily,
    >unlocked quickly, and I got the whole Valve catalog to boot, including
    >games such as Condition Zero.
    >
    >I had a few problems with stuttering in HL2, but automagically got
    >patches as soon as they were available, fixes that took care of the
    >problem. No hunting for patches, registering with sites to download, and
    >so on. Start the game up and it's up to date.
    >
    >I appreciate the online aspect of Steam, being able to get a server list
    >for all the Valve games, not just a separate server listing for HL2 or
    >Counter Strike, or whatever.
    >
    >Now I have a cable modem, so download speeds aren't a problem for me,
    >but I'm honestly not seeing a downside here. No CD check garbage, No
    >hunting for the latest update, automatic patches, an integrated
    >launcher, plenty of additional content being added nearly
    >weekly...where's the downside?
    >
    >I wish all games were distributed via an online distribution system like
    >Steam. I really do.

    Well, I neither love it or hate it, but I'd certainly rather just have
    the game on a disk, install it and play it. Call me old fashioned in
    that way. I won't be buying any other games that require STEAM
    in the future no matter how good they might be.

    I've been done with HL2 for a few weeks now, and I'd like to
    give the game to one of my friends but can't seem to without
    giving away my entire account. Is there a way to "unregister" a
    STEAM powered game, or am I stuck with it for my Full Life?

    mjs

    Kevin Steele wrote:

    > I know this will bring out the difool crowd down on me, and I don't
    > want to troll, but I honestly am loving this whole "steam" thing. So
    > much so that I felt compelled to add my voice to the "pro-steam"
    > crowd, no matter how little it changes things on this newsgroup.
    >
    > First I used my HL key when setting up Steam, and got all of my
    > previous HL products (well, except for Blue Shift...sigh...) quickly
    > installed and available.
    >
    > I then bought Half-Life 2 via Steam (silver) it downloaded easily,
    > unlocked quickly, and I got the whole Valve catalog to boot,
    > including games such as Condition Zero.
    >
    > I had a few problems with stuttering in HL2, but automagically got
    > patches as soon as they were available, fixes that took care of the
    > problem. No hunting for patches, registering with sites to download,
    > and so on. Start the game up and it's up to date.
    >
    > I appreciate the online aspect of Steam, being able to get a server
    > list for all the Valve games, not just a separate server listing for
    > HL2 or Counter Strike, or whatever.
    >
    > Now I have a cable modem, so download speeds aren't a problem for me,
    > but I'm honestly not seeing a downside here. No CD check garbage, No
    > hunting for the latest update, automatic patches, an integrated
    > launcher, plenty of additional content being added nearly
    > weekly...where's the downside?
    >
    > I wish all games were distributed via an online distribution system
    > like Steam. I really do.

    here here

    --
    DalienX

    Kevin Steele wrote:
    > I know this will bring out the difool crowd down on me, and I don't want
    > to troll, but I honestly am loving this whole "steam" thing. So much so
    > that I felt compelled to add my voice to the "pro-steam" crowd, no
    > matter how little it changes things on this newsgroup.
    >
    > First I used my HL key when setting up Steam, and got all of my previous
    > HL products (well, except for Blue Shift...sigh...) quickly installed
    > and available.
    >
    > I then bought Half-Life 2 via Steam (silver) it downloaded easily,
    > unlocked quickly, and I got the whole Valve catalog to boot, including
    > games such as Condition Zero.
    >
    > I had a few problems with stuttering in HL2, but automagically got
    > patches as soon as they were available, fixes that took care of the
    > problem. No hunting for patches, registering with sites to download, and
    > so on. Start the game up and it's up to date.
    >
    > I appreciate the online aspect of Steam, being able to get a server list
    > for all the Valve games, not just a separate server listing for HL2 or
    > Counter Strike, or whatever.
    >
    > Now I have a cable modem, so download speeds aren't a problem for me,
    > but I'm honestly not seeing a downside here. No CD check garbage, No
    > hunting for the latest update, automatic patches, an integrated
    > launcher, plenty of additional content being added nearly
    > weekly...where's the downside?
    >
    > I wish all games were distributed via an online distribution system like
    > Steam. I really do.

    "Captain, the turret fills with steam,
    The feed-pipes burst below --
    You can hear the hiss of the helpless ram,
    You can hear the twisted runners jam."
    And he answered, "Turn and go!"

    --
    best regards, mat
    np: [winamp not running]

    www.pdxshows.net

    Frank thought about it a bit, then said...
    > Kevin, i honestly fear for your life
    > RUN and hide before this whole forum attacks you

    I know, I know - I really debated about posting, but I guess I really am
    a big "fanboi" of Steam...I'm finding my flameproof long underwear as I
    write this. ;-)

    --
    Kevin Steele
    RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
    www.retroblast.com

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:09:50 -0500, Kevin Steele
    <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:

    >weekly...where's the downside?

    If you have to ask that, then obviously you can't read, because the
    drawbacks in Steam system have been discussed here quite a lot.

    Mike Starke wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:09:50 -0500, Kevin Steele
    > <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I know this will bring out the difool crowd down on me, and I don't want
    >>to troll, but I honestly am loving this whole "steam" thing. So much so
    >>that I felt compelled to add my voice to the "pro-steam" crowd, no
    >>matter how little it changes things on this newsgroup.
    >>
    >>First I used my HL key when setting up Steam, and got all of my previous
    >>HL products (well, except for Blue Shift...sigh...) quickly installed
    >>and available.
    >>
    >>I then bought Half-Life 2 via Steam (silver) it downloaded easily,
    >>unlocked quickly, and I got the whole Valve catalog to boot, including
    >>games such as Condition Zero.
    >>
    >>I had a few problems with stuttering in HL2, but automagically got
    >>patches as soon as they were available, fixes that took care of the
    >>problem. No hunting for patches, registering with sites to download, and
    >>so on. Start the game up and it's up to date.
    >>
    >>I appreciate the online aspect of Steam, being able to get a server list
    >>for all the Valve games, not just a separate server listing for HL2 or
    >>Counter Strike, or whatever.
    >>
    >>Now I have a cable modem, so download speeds aren't a problem for me,
    >>but I'm honestly not seeing a downside here. No CD check garbage, No
    >>hunting for the latest update, automatic patches, an integrated
    >>launcher, plenty of additional content being added nearly
    >>weekly...where's the downside?
    >>
    >>I wish all games were distributed via an online distribution system like
    >>Steam. I really do.
    >

    > Well, I neither love it or hate it, but I'd certainly rather just have
    > the game on a disk, install it and play it. Call me old fashioned in
    > that way. I won't be buying any other games that require STEAM
    > in the future no matter how good they might be.
    >
    > I've been done with HL2 for a few weeks now, and I'd like to
    > give the game to one of my friends but can't seem to without
    > giving away my entire account. Is there a way to "unregister" a
    > STEAM powered game, or am I stuck with it for my Full Life?

    Just feel free to crack it and that's all.
    > mjs

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 05:59:19 -0800, Vader des Vaderlands
    <vader@vaderlands.nl> wrote:

    >"Captain, the turret fills with steam,
    >The feed-pipes burst below --
    >You can hear the hiss of the helpless ram,
    >You can hear the twisted runners jam."
    >And he answered, "Turn and go!"

    This wasn't funny the first time nor the 20th time.

    Pluvious

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Kevin Steele wrote:

    <sniped the usual media talk trash>

    > Kevin Steele
    > RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
    > www.retroblast.com

    no doubt why you wrote such complete trash! you are from the media!
    you from the media have been disgustingly sold out to the publishers!
    i haven't even ONCE seen a serious report in the media about STEAM, not
    even ONE!
    you media only care about pleasing the publishers and having lots of
    advertisement!
    you are a disgrased! a bunch of sold out losers!
    go away cause there is no place in here for hipocrites like yourself!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Mike Starke wrote:

    > Well, I neither love it or hate it, but I'd certainly rather just have
    > the game on a disk, install it and play it. Call me old fashioned in
    > that way. I won't be buying any other games that require STEAM
    > in the future no matter how good they might be.

    Mike the guy is from the media! a sold-out for the publishers!
    this is our fight! this is something only US GAMERS know about!
    and you are not old fashioned! we only fight for our freedom!
    the issue here is freedom!
    obviously the publishers don't care about it cause they want the
    power, and the media doesn't care also cause what they want is
    more advertisement revenues from publishers

    we had already in this group a statement by someone for the
    publishers, and its as clear as water
    they want to take away our freedom and use damaging systems like steam
    and we are now having a statement by the media which i already knew is
    completely sold-out to the publishers

    Mike we have only ourselves to fight steam
    it will be very tough fight, cause we are the underdog, but i believe
    we will win cause we own the TRUTH! and that gives a lot of strength!
    we are the GOOD guys fight the evil, so there has to be a HAPPY ENDING!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    riku thought about it a bit, then said...
    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:09:50 -0500, Kevin Steele
    > <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:
    >
    > >weekly...where's the downside?
    >
    > If you have to ask that, then obviously you can't read, because the
    > drawbacks in Steam system have been discussed here quite a lot.

    I'm not seeing any downsides in my experience - in fact, it's been
    nothing but positives for me. Obviously you disagree.

    --
    Kevin Steele
    RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
    www.retroblast.com

    difool thought about it a bit, then said...
    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Kevin Steele wrote:
    >
    > <sniped the usual media talk trash>
    >
    > > Kevin Steele
    > > RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
    > > www.retroblast.com
    >
    > no doubt why you wrote such complete trash! you are from the media!

    Wow, that's the first time I've been lumped in with the "media" -
    thanks! I'll have mark this day down somewhere...

    > you from the media have been disgustingly sold out to the publishers!

    I must have misplaced my check from Valve. Gabe, can you help? ;-)

    --
    Kevin Steele
    RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
    www.retroblast.com

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 07:47:28 -0500, Kevin Steele
    <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:

    >Frank thought about it a bit, then said...
    >> Kevin, i honestly fear for your life
    >> RUN and hide before this whole forum attacks you
    >
    >I know, I know - I really debated about posting, but I guess I really am
    >a big "fanboi" of Steam...I'm finding my flameproof long underwear as I
    >write this. ;-)

    Why are so many Steam supporters acting as some misunderstood drama
    queens? Or is your issue only with difool? You really take him
    seriously? I think he is walter mitty in disguise.

    Thusly Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com> Spake Unto All:

    >>"Captain, the turret fills with steam,
    >>The feed-pipes burst below --
    >>You can hear the hiss of the helpless ram,
    >>You can hear the twisted runners jam."
    >>And he answered, "Turn and go!"
    >
    >This wasn't funny the first time nor the 20th time.

    True, but the 17th time I felt something. Might've just been wind.

    "Pluvious" wrote
    > Vader des Vaderlands wrote:

    >>"Captain, the turret fills with steam,
    >>The feed-pipes burst below --
    >>You can hear the hiss of the helpless ram,
    >>You can hear the twisted runners jam."
    >>And he answered, "Turn and go!"

    > This wasn't funny the first time nor the 20th time.

    I'm guessing that he's trying to make a point. And he's not being subtle.

    Perhaps he thinks that *all* posts about Steam (pro and con) are rehashing
    the same arguments over and over and over...

    Vince wrote:
    > Perhaps he thinks that *all* posts about Steam (pro and con) are
    rehashing
    > the same arguments over and over and over...

    Perhaps he just likes poetry. I noticed that he's posted at least two
    different verses, each featuring the word "steam".
    Perhaps he's a Vogon?

    On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:42:29 -0500, Kevin Steele
    <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:

    >> >weekly...where's the downside?
    >>
    >> If you have to ask that, then obviously you can't read, because the
    >> drawbacks in Steam system have been discussed here quite a lot.
    >
    >I'm not seeing any downsides in my experience - in fact, it's been
    >nothing but positives for me. Obviously you disagree.

    Yep. Either I could list them for you, or you could try to read some
    older messages, because they have been discussed for ages.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005, riku wrote:

    what's your problem?????
    you go away from this group for some days and you return with this talk?
    ok we have completely different styles, and probably we have different
    reasons to fight steam, but why going after me man?
    please!
    valve and steam are already big enough for you to only focus on them!
    its them you need to focus!
    you don't like my style... too bad... it happens... but please focus
    on the real ISSUE! fighting steam!
    isn't that what also makes you move?
    i'm only here for pc games and to defend them!
    i truly believe steam damages pc games, so i go against it
    nothing more makes me be here!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Pluvious wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 05:59:19 -0800, Vader des Vaderlands
    > <vader@vaderlands.nl> wrote:
    >

    >>"Captain, the turret fills with steam,
    >>The feed-pipes burst below --
    >>You can hear the hiss of the helpless ram,
    >>You can hear the twisted runners jam."
    >>And he answered, "Turn and go!"
    >

    > This wasn't funny the first time nor the 20th time.
    >
    > Pluvious

    It's funny how true that sentiment transverses to the other discussions
    running around here of late.

    --
    best regards, mat
    np: [winamp not running]

    www.pdxshows.net
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Mike Starke wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:09:50 -0500, Kevin Steele
    > <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:
    >
    >> I know this will bring out the difool crowd down on me, and I don't
    >> want to troll, but I honestly am loving this whole "steam" thing. So
    >> much so that I felt compelled to add my voice to the "pro-steam"
    >> crowd, no matter how little it changes things on this newsgroup.
    >>
    >> First I used my HL key when setting up Steam, and got all of my
    >> previous HL products (well, except for Blue Shift...sigh...) quickly
    >> installed and available.
    >>
    >> I then bought Half-Life 2 via Steam (silver) it downloaded easily,
    >> unlocked quickly, and I got the whole Valve catalog to boot,
    >> including games such as Condition Zero.
    >>
    >> I had a few problems with stuttering in HL2, but automagically got
    >> patches as soon as they were available, fixes that took care of the
    >> problem. No hunting for patches, registering with sites to download,
    >> and so on. Start the game up and it's up to date.
    >>
    >> I appreciate the online aspect of Steam, being able to get a server
    >> list for all the Valve games, not just a separate server listing for
    >> HL2 or Counter Strike, or whatever.
    >>
    >> Now I have a cable modem, so download speeds aren't a problem for me,
    >> but I'm honestly not seeing a downside here. No CD check garbage, No
    >> hunting for the latest update, automatic patches, an integrated
    >> launcher, plenty of additional content being added nearly
    >> weekly...where's the downside?
    >>
    >> I wish all games were distributed via an online distribution system
    >> like Steam. I really do.
    >

    > Well, I neither love it or hate it, but I'd certainly rather just have
    > the game on a disk, install it and play it. Call me old fashioned in
    > that way. I won't be buying any other games that require STEAM
    > in the future no matter how good they might be.
    >
    > I've been done with HL2 for a few weeks now, and I'd like to
    > give the game to one of my friends but can't seem to without
    > giving away my entire account. Is there a way to "unregister" a
    > STEAM powered game, or am I stuck with it for my Full Life?
    >
    > mjs

    if you won't be buying any other steam games then what difference does it
    make if you give him your account?

    --

    You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    riku wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:09:50 -0500, Kevin Steele
    > <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:
    >
    >> weekly...where's the downside?
    >
    > If you have to ask that, then obviously you can't read, because the
    > drawbacks in Steam system have been discussed here quite a lot.

    the problem is difool alot of people have filtered out him and steam posts
    cause they got annoyed with his rantings, now I really don't have any major
    problems with steam I think that an option for offline mode, not just
    pressing cancel or blocking it with a fire wall or whatever, should be
    added, I even think that one off online activation should remain but apart
    from the offline mode problems then I really dont have any major grievances
    with it. If there were more proper debates or discussions about steam I and
    many others would be happy but until difool leaves or gives up his charade
    of being really anti steam and not just taking the pis then its not going to
    happen

    --

    You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Stoned Monkey wrote:
    > riku wrote:
    >> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:09:50 -0500, Kevin Steele
    >> <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> weekly...where's the downside?
    >>
    >> If you have to ask that, then obviously you can't read, because the
    >> drawbacks in Steam system have been discussed here quite a lot.
    >
    > the problem is difool alot of people have filtered out him and steam
    > posts cause they got annoyed with his rantings, now I really don't
    > have any major problems with steam I think that an option for offline
    > mode, not just pressing cancel or blocking it with a fire wall or
    > whatever, should be added, I even think that one off online
    > activation should remain but apart from the offline mode problems
    > then I really dont have any major grievances with it. If there were
    > more proper debates or discussions about steam I and many others
    > would be happy but until difool leaves or gives up his charade of
    > being really anti steam and not just taking the pis then its not
    > going to happen

    also not just difool but the other ranting loons from both sides, I almost
    forgot about them

    --

    You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:10:36 -0000, "Stoned Monkey"
    <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

    >if you won't be buying any other steam games then what difference does it
    >make if you give him your account?

    Because I still play Counterstrike

    mjs

PC gaming Games Steam Video Games