NIC wont detect ethernet cable?

matteroll

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Hey guys, I am having a problem with my Realtek RTL8168D/8111D PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC. It is not detecting my ethernet cable, and thus leaving me without internet on my desktop, after i updated its driver. The cable is not the problem as I have tested the cable with my laptop. I tried rolling back drivers, doing system restore and removing drivers with driversweeper and letting windows install the drivers again. However, none of these worked for me. I doubt the NIC is faulty as it was working before i updated the drivers. Anymore things I can try? Oh yeah, I am using windows 7 home premium 64-bit.

Thanks in advance :).

P.S: Don't know if this is in correct sub-category.

matteroll

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
fixed it by changing the duplex & speed option to 100mbps. Got another question though. Why does the NIC only detect the cable when under 100mbps? I tried to have the duplex & speed go to 1gbps but it would say that the cable is unplugged (I have a 150mbps internet plan). Anyone knows why?

matteroll

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
it's a modem/router 2 in 1 kind of thing (Using fiber optics at the moment). All ports of it supports gigabit ethernet. My laptop's NIC was able to change the duplex & speed to 1gbps without any problem (cable detected and have internet). However, my desktop's NIC couldn't detect the cable and thus said that the cable is unplugged.

rahulrao

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013

how u fixed it please tell me i got the same problem that u faced eatlier my ethernet adapter not picking up the connection u said by changing the duplex & speed option how will u please elaborate it would be great help friend waiting for ur reply

In XP. go to control Panel>Network Connections - in Vista, W7 or 8 it's Network and Sharing Centre. Double click the Local Area Connection and go to Properties and click the Configure button. Click on Advanced and scroll to the Speed entry. If that is not set to Auto, do it now, If it is, change it to Half Duplex 100Mb. Click Apply and OK your way out then restart the computer.