Sign in with
Your question

Cambridge Magic 6 and logitech Squeezebox

Last response: in Networking
August 8, 2012 11:01:16 PM

Hello,

I am totally confused about the following:
I just recently purchased a music streaming device called the "Cambridge Magic 6" for music streaming. I'm trying to find out why (or for what legitiate purpose) would someone connect a Logitech Squeezebox receiver up to the rear of the Magic 6 component. To perhaps clarify this ambiguous topic, if you would go to a website called: Stream Magic 6 Upsampling Network Music, and scroll down until you see a large picture of the the rear side of theMagic 6 component. You will also see an icon of a Squeezebox that delineates the capacity to connect the Squeezebox device onto the rear of the Magic 6 device. I communicated with the Cambridge Company about this dilema and they could not give me a reply. If you could kindly examine this or research this puzzling issue, and get back to me, it would be greatly appreciative! Thanks again, Dan
August 14, 2012 12:23:05 PM

Not sure I understand why this should be so puzzling. The Cambridge Magic 6 has a DAC that might be better than the Squeezebox's. But a Squeezebox owner might still prefer LMS over standard UPnP. And I would not be surprised if apps like iPeng are better than Cambridge Audio's own "Stream Magic Remote". Also, SB can access Spotify. Why then get the Magic 6 at all? Well, other than being an improved (?) DAC, it might interest some to also have UPnP capability...
m
l
August 16, 2012 6:28:32 PM

zoorlat said:
Not sure I understand why this should be so puzzling. The Cambridge Magic 6 has a DAC that might be better than the Squeezebox's. But a Squeezebox owner might still prefer LMS over standard UPnP. And I would not be surprised if apps like iPeng are better than Cambridge Audio's own "Stream Magic Remote". Also, SB can access Spotify. Why then get the Magic 6 at all? Well, other than being an improved (?) DAC, it might interest some to also have UPnP capability...

WOW! Great answer! I appreciate that! And I think, perhaps, you are right about "Spotify." The only way I could possibly
access Spotify is if I were to connect the Logitech Squeezebox Duet Receiver to the rear of the Magic 6 component.

Also, zoorlat, I have another "puzzling" issue: Would I necessarily need to utilize a website entitled "Twonky.com" in order to
hear my stored music ultimately through my Cambridge Magic 6 device via powered speakers?????

Kindly let me know. Thanks again and I'll await your reply, Zoorlat.
m
l
August 16, 2012 6:29:28 PM

Zoorlat, as an "addendum" to my prior message to you: the music is stored on my pc......... and I need to know if the website called "Twonky.com" would facilitate (or even allow) listening to that music through my Cambridge Magic 6 component.
m
l
!