A Sincere DVD Quick Poll

I hope we might all learn something from this. The question is this:

How many of you experience skipping, fit and starts, errors,
stuttering, etc. while watching a DVD?

Rented, bought, borrowed, doesn't matter. I'm wondering if all DVD
players are not equal. I would have to say that I experience some form
of error while watching DVDs about 60% of the time. Unacceptable. It
makes me long for VHS. Can you believe that?

Even new DVDs that I've bought and watched twice seem to develop
skippage even with proper handling. Do I need to go out and buy an
high-end DVD player?

Thanks in advance for answering.

Pusher.
19 answers Last reply
More about sincere quick poll

    I owned one cheap Korean machine that was really bad, it wouldn't even
    play some DVDs. I bought it because it could play all regions of
    DVDs, I like to watch foreign movies. I think you get what you pay
    for.

    Al

    In article <b87561cb.0408081637.3c45c8dd@posting.google.com>,
    push_studios@yahoo.com says...
    > How many of you experience skipping, fit and starts, errors,
    > stuttering, etc. while watching a DVD?

    You definitely need a new DVD player. I get all my movies from Netflix,
    which are mailed around in paper sleeves and watched zillions of times,
    and I haven't seen a DVD skip yet. The only time I've ever seen one
    skip was when I got a bad one in a West Wing box set, and the
    replacement worked fine, so that was a manufacturing defect.

    In other words, in my experience, they skip no more often than CDs, and
    possibly less often since they're not exposed to my car and my changer.

    --
    Jay Levitt |
    Wellesley, MA | Hi!

    Players do vary. The first DVD player I bought was a Toshiba and it became
    increasingly unusable as time went on. It appeared that copy protection schemes
    were to blame. Older discs continued to play fine but newer ones increasingly
    failed to play at all. I literally gave it away because I coudn't sell it to
    anyone in good conscience.

    I replaced it with a JVC that never failed to play properly as long as the disc
    was clean and free of defects. Later I replaced the JVC with a Pioneer Elite
    which has far superior picture quality, and also never fails to play a disc.

    It does sound like you need to replace your player. The good news is that good
    ones are far cheaper now than ever.

    Ted Spencer, NYC

    "No amount of classical training will ever teach you what's so cool about
    "Tighten Up" by Archie Bell And The Drells" -author unknown

    << How many of you experience skipping, fit and starts, errors,
    stuttering, etc. while watching a DVD? >>

    None of that, but plenty of color fading & contrast pumping. I ascribe all that
    to a low end player.

    Scott Fraser

    "pusher" <push_studios@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I hope we might all learn something from this. The question is this:
    >
    > How many of you experience skipping, fit and starts, errors,
    > stuttering, etc. while watching a DVD?

    Recently a high proportion of the DVDs we rent from Blockbuster are
    physically dirty. A little soap and water, and the problem is gone!

    > Rented, bought, borrowed, doesn't matter. I'm wondering if all DVD
    > players are not equal. I would have to say that I experience some form
    > of error while watching DVDs about 60% of the time. Unacceptable. It
    > makes me long for VHS. Can you believe that?

    If the discs are dirty or really badly scratched, then skipping is part of
    the story.

    > Even new DVDs that I've bought and watched twice seem to develop
    > skippage even with proper handling.

    I've never had problems with a fresh new, pristine disc.

    > Do I need to go out and buy an high-end DVD player?

    No, you just need a credible low-end or mid-end player.

    For example, I have an Apex 1200 that cost me $39.95 from an appliance
    store. It tracks DVDs as well as my Pioneer 525, which cost nearly 10 times
    as much.

    Not only that, but based on actual mesurement, the Apex 1200's audio
    section has equal or less distortion than about half of the optical disc
    players reviewd on the Stereophile web site. They had an average price of
    $3995 or so. Of course mechanically the Apex is very light weight, tin and
    plastic to the max. But it does the basic job of playing discs and putting
    out video and audio.

    In article <b87561cb.0408081637.3c45c8dd@posting.google.com> push_studios@yahoo.com writes:

    > How many of you experience skipping, fit and starts, errors,
    > stuttering, etc. while watching a DVD?

    I've never watched a DVD, but I sure notice a lot more skipping of CDs
    played on the radio than I used to notice skipping phonograph records.

    Ain't technology wonderful?

    On the other hand, I can buy a player for CD, DVD, DVD-A, SACD, MP3
    and probably other things digital for less than the cost of a nice
    turntable mat.

    In article <20040808210250.29796.00002642@mb-m18.aol.com> prestokid@aol.com writes:

    > The first DVD player I bought was a Toshiba and it became
    > increasingly unusable as time went on.

    > I replaced it with a JVC that never failed to play properly as long as the disc
    > was clean and free of defects.

    > Later I replaced the JVC with a Pioneer Elite
    > which has far superior picture quality, and also never fails to play a disc.

    If at first you don't succeed . . .

    Not talking about you, Ted, but about the manufacturers and the media.
    I guess I'll wait a few more years before buying a DVD player. Or
    maybe I'll just let this phase of technology pass me by and catch up
    with the next round. I don't want to buy any more things that I can
    avoid which become unusable in a couple of years.

    On 9 Aug 2004 09:39:13 -0400, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote:

    >Not talking about you, Ted, but about the manufacturers and the media.
    >I guess I'll wait a few more years before buying a DVD player. Or
    >maybe I'll just let this phase of technology pass me by and catch up
    >with the next round. I don't want to buy any more things that I can
    >avoid which become unusable in a couple of years.

    Just the extras on Headwig was worth the $40

    Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
    @/

    8 Aug 2004 17:37:48 -0700, push_studios@yahoo.com suggested:
    : I hope we might all learn something from this. The question is this:
    :
    : How many of you experience skipping, fit and starts, errors,
    : stuttering, etc. while watching a DVD?
    :
    : Rented, bought, borrowed, doesn't matter. I'm wondering if all DVD
    : players are not equal. I would have to say that I experience some form
    : of error while watching DVDs about 60% of the time. Unacceptable. It
    : makes me long for VHS. Can you believe that?
    :
    : Even new DVDs that I've bought and watched twice seem to develop
    : skippage even with proper handling. Do I need to go out and buy an
    : high-end DVD player?

    Yes, the player can make a pretty big difference in playback performance.
    FWIW, I've never had any problems with a consumer-line Toshiba player;
    it's certainly not what I would call high-end.

    It's also possible that you have a defective unit.

    --
    agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg

    On 9 Aug 2004 09:39:12 -0400, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote:

    >I've never watched a DVD,

    Man, you owe it to yourself to buy a cheap player (the Samsung's
    are fine) and a disc of your favorite movie. The new transfer of
    _Casablanca_ is excellent. Or whatever you like best.

    It's what TV has been waiting to be, all these years.

    Chris Hornbeck

    In article <kv6fh05ftr6ofiuqnj880upr53k8mvba7m@4ax.com> chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net writes:

    > >I've never watched a DVD,
    >
    > Man, you owe it to yourself to buy a cheap player (the Samsung's
    > are fine) and a disc of your favorite movie. The new transfer of
    > _Casablanca_ is excellent. Or whatever you like best.

    So I buy a player for $40, an RF modulator for $25, a DVD for $20 to
    do what? Watch TV?

    Actually I've read about some interesteing DVDs of musical
    productions, but I don't sit in the living room and watch music
    videos, so I don't really need something that will tempt me.

    > It's what TV has been waiting to be, all these years.

    In order to appreicate good video, I'd also need a new TV set. I don't
    think my 1981 Zenith quite cuts it any more, but it's OK for CSI
    reruns when I can't find anything better to do.

    pusher <push_studios@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > I hope we might all learn something from this. The question is this:

    > How many of you experience skipping, fit and starts, errors,
    > stuttering, etc. while watching a DVD?

    Hardly ever, and it's almost always rememdied by cleaning the (rented)
    disc.

    One disc I bought did have a manufacturing defect, and the company
    replaced it with a second pressing that was good.

    I assume you aren't confusing a layer change blip with a 'defect'.

    > Rented, bought, borrowed, doesn't matter. I'm wondering if all DVD
    > players are not equal.

    Well that's clearly the case -- see the Secrets of Home Audio
    shootouts for technical evidence of same

    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi

    > I would have to say that I experience some form
    > of error while watching DVDs about 60% of the time. Unacceptable. It
    > makes me long for VHS. Can you believe that?

    > Even new DVDs that I've bought and watched twice seem to develop
    > skippage even with proper handling. Do I need to go out and buy an
    > high-end DVD player?

    No, just a better one.

    --

    -S.
    "We started to see evidence of the professional groupie in the early 80's.

    I only have an internal Samsung DVD/CD reader in my net toy box...
    never has glitched (except after the buffer emptied from too much
    time on pause ;-)

    DM

    On Aug 8, 2004, pusher <push_studios@yahoo.com> commented:

    > How many of you experience skipping, fit and starts, errors,
    > stuttering, etc. while watching a DVD?
    >--------------------------------snip----------------------------------<

    Almost never happens to me. And I'm a video mastering engineer here in LA.
    If it happened, I'd notice it. Once in a blue moon, I'll see a glitch from,
    say, a Netflix rental disc or something, but it's very minor.

    I do see some 3/2 decoding errors in some of my players, but not the better
    units like the Sony 999 or the Pioneer DV-47Ai. I think the error correction
    is better in the more expensive units, but a lot depends on the quality of
    the pressings.

    --MFW
    [remove the extra M above for email]

    On 9 Aug 2004 15:35:25 -0400, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote:

    >In order to appreicate good video, I'd also need a new TV set. I don't
    >think my 1981 Zenith quite cuts it any more, but it's OK for CSI
    >reruns when I can't find anything better to do.

    I made my 1986 NEC from the remains of two; one struck by lightning
    and one whose owner had knocked the neck off the CRT. I didn't ask.
    As long as I can find a flyback every decade I'm good to go.

    The best cheap way to see DVD's is on a computer (beautiful little
    image), but mine only plays a small percentage. Too old to keep up
    I guess.

    Chris Hornbeck

    Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

    > In article <kv6fh05ftr6ofiuqnj880upr53k8mvba7m@4ax.com> chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net writes:

    > > >I've never watched a DVD,
    > >
    > > Man, you owe it to yourself to buy a cheap player (the Samsung's
    > > are fine) and a disc of your favorite movie. The new transfer of
    > > _Casablanca_ is excellent. Or whatever you like best.

    > So I buy a player for $40, an RF modulator for $25, a DVD for $20 to
    > do what? Watch TV?

    If you liek to watch movies on TV, sure.

    You can even *rent* DVDs these days, for about $4 a pop, I'm told.

    > In order to appreicate good video, I'd also need a new TV set. I don't
    > think my 1981 Zenith quite cuts it any more, but it's OK for CSI
    > reruns when I can't find anything better to do.

    Unless its tube has gone south, you will almost certainly see
    a better picture and get better sound with a DVD than with a VHS tape (or do you
    use Betamax)?

    --

    Mike Rivers wrote:
    > In article <b87561cb.0408081637.3c45c8dd@posting.google.com>
    > push_studios@yahoo.com writes:
    >
    >> How many of you experience skipping, fit and starts, errors,
    >> stuttering, etc. while watching a DVD?
    >
    > I've never watched a DVD, but I sure notice a lot more skipping of CDs
    > played on the radio than I used to notice skipping phonograph records.
    >
    > Ain't technology wonderful?
    >
    > On the other hand, I can buy a player for CD, DVD, DVD-A, SACD, MP3
    > and probably other things digital for less than the cost of a nice
    > turntable mat.

    I bought a DVD at the supermarket checkout. Plays CDs and CD-Rs fine, and
    looks far better on DVD playback than S-VHS ever did. No probelms playing
    old or new, rental or bought DVDs. Region free too.

    geoff

    Mike Rivers wrote:
    > In article <kv6fh05ftr6ofiuqnj880upr53k8mvba7m@4ax.com>
    > chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net writes:
    >
    >>> I've never watched a DVD,
    >>
    >> Man, you owe it to yourself to buy a cheap player (the Samsung's
    >> are fine) and a disc of your favorite movie. The new transfer of
    >> _Casablanca_ is excellent. Or whatever you like best.
    >
    > So I buy a player for $40, an RF modulator for $25, a DVD for $20 to
    > do what? Watch TV?
    >
    > Actually I've read about some interesteing DVDs of musical
    > productions, but I don't sit in the living room and watch music
    > videos, so I don't really need something that will tempt me.

    The Dark Side oF The Moon doco tempt you ?

    Being able to frame-advance Nora sweetly mouthing words without wearing a
    hole in the tape ?

    Play back (insert fav guiatrist here) in sharp slo-mo to figure out the
    fingering ?

    Play back porn in reverse in high def (that one is really a larf !)

    Hey - it's got to be worth a try ;-)

    > In order to appreicate good video, I'd also need a new TV set. I don't
    > think my 1981 Zenith quite cuts it any more, but it's OK for CSI
    > reruns when I can't find anything better to do.

    That's OK, you can get one of those at the supermarket too, for almost
    nothing !

    geoff

    In article <obWUc.4051$zS6.448442@news02.tsnz.net> geoff@paf.co.nz-nospam writes:

    > > Actually I've read about some interesteing DVDs of musical
    > > productions, but I don't sit in the living room and watch music
    > > videos, so I don't really need something that will tempt me.
    >
    > The Dark Side oF The Moon doco tempt you ?

    Guess not. I've heard of it, but haven't ever knowingly listened to
    it. I'd be more likely to watch a DVD of old Merle Travis "videos"
    that I have on videotape.

    > Being able to frame-advance Nora sweetly mouthing words without wearing a
    > hole in the tape ?

    Why would I want to do that? I don't read lips.

    > Play back (insert fav guiatrist here) in sharp slo-mo to figure out the
    > fingering ?

    Maybe, but they don't usually put the camera on the guitarist's
    fingers for long enough to learn anything, unless it's a training
    video.

    And so on.

Pro Audio DVD Audio