XP pro software RAID

johnvick

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2002
I have a Soltek SL-75 KAV motherboard, and on IDE 0 a Quantum 7200 RPM UDMA100 30GB HD, on IDE 1, a Seagate 5400 RPM UDMA66 20 GB HD.
I allocated 8 GB spare drive space on each as a RAID 0 (striping) array using disk management under win XP pro.

The result? Sandra reports the array is slower than the the Quantum drive!

Now I realise that ideally RAID should use identical drives, and that hardware is faster than software, but surely I should see a better drive speed improvement than I have? In fact I have seen no improvement at all. I would have expected the array to perform about 2x the speed of the slower drive.

Any suggestions?

attitude

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2002
as yor smaler drive probably is half speed compared to the larger one it sounds like ok scores. The software raid writes a file 50% on the faster and 50% on the slower so when reading it wil max go 2x what the slowest of ya disks can do...

also iv run software raind for i while (6 mth) and im now removing it...) partially becauce of errors when removing files... when i remove a file i have to reboot bevore the space gets avavible... i hope this will fix now that im removing the dynamic disk crap....