Movie "The Arrival" and Half-Life2

Yesterday I watched the movie "The arrival" from 1996. It ist a Sci-Fi movie where
a scientist detects an alien invasion and fights it on his own. The scientist looks exactly
as gordon freeman and the whole setting ist like half-life.

Question: does anybody know whether half-life was designed after this movie or is the
similarity just accidentical?

Jochen

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

It's not even close.

DaveL

"Jochen Heistermann" <Jochen.Heistermann@onlinehome.de> wrote in message
> Yesterday I watched the movie "The arrival" from 1996. It ist a Sci-Fi
> movie where
> a scientist detects an alien invasion and fights it on his own. The
> scientist looks exactly
> as gordon freeman and the whole setting ist like half-life.
>
> Question: does anybody know whether half-life was designed after this
> movie or is the
> similarity just accidentical?
>
> Jochen

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:32:03 +0100, "Jochen Heistermann"
<Jochen.Heistermann@onlinehome.de> wrote:

>Yesterday I watched the movie "The arrival" from 1996. It ist a Sci-Fi movie where
>a scientist detects an alien invasion and fights it on his own. The scientist looks exactly
>as gordon freeman and the whole setting ist like half-life.
>
>Question: does anybody know whether half-life was designed after this movie or is the
>similarity just accidentical?
>
>Jochen

The Chucky Sheen Movie? It's not even close, unless they edited and
redubbed it for the German version in such a way that the story and
characters are totally different from the original Klingon ...erm... I
mean English.

Yes, Charlie Sheen with a beard and glasses bears a passing
resemblance to Gordon Freeman. Of course, Gordo also bears about the
same resemblance to Robert Goulet, and Vincent Price (aside from dark
hair and a sporting a similar beard at some point or another in their
lives these guys look nothing like each other).

You've probably seen environments in that movie (or something like it)
in any number of different movies and television shows. Large
industrial plants, sewage treatment plants, power facilities (and up
until recently, even nuclear power plants), make great movie stand-ins
for secret and not so secret government installations. College Campus
buildings are also often employed for the same purpose. Lots of
corridors and concrete. So long as you avoid the locker lined areas,
it all looks very ominous and official. The effect is even better if
you can get permission to do it at night. "The Arrival" wasn't the
first or the last to use such shooting environments, so it's not
surprising that the designers used such architectural cues to design
the Black Mesa facilities.

MCheu

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:32:03 +0100, "Jochen Heistermann"
<Jochen.Heistermann@onlinehome.de> wrote:

>Yesterday I watched the movie "The arrival" from 1996. It ist a Sci-Fi movie where
>a scientist detects an alien invasion and fights it on his own. The scientist looks exactly
>as gordon freeman and the whole setting ist like half-life.
>
>Question: does anybody know whether half-life was designed after this movie or is the
>similarity just accidentical?
>
>Jochen

By the way, there actually was a video game based on that movie, and
it was neither HL nor HL2.

MCheu

Steph

"Jochen Heistermann" <Jochen.Heistermann@onlinehome.de> wrote in

> Yesterday I watched the movie "The arrival" from 1996. It ist a Sci-Fi
> movie where a scientist detects an alien invasion and fights it on his
> own. The scientist looks exactly as gordon freeman

I think he looks more like Martin Sheen than like Gordon Freeman. In fact,
he looks exactly like Martin Sheen.

stePH
--
If it cannot break the egg's shell, a chick will die without being born.
We are the chick. The world is our egg.