Steam CDkey Help

Last response: in Video Games
February 4, 2005 5:07:51 PM

I need some help here... I recently had a hard drive die on me with my
stem and HL2 account on it. So I go and buy a new one and install steam
and it wants me to regester my cdkey, but I allready did the first time
on my other hd... Is there any way to reactivat my cd key or... I dont
know I just want to play!

More about : steam cdkey

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 9:04:33 PM

On 4 Feb 2005 14:07:51 -0800, "Will" <will-grace@comcast.net> wrote:

>I need some help here... I recently had a hard drive die on me with my
>stem and HL2 account on it. So I go and buy a new one and install steam
>and it wants me to regester my cdkey, but I allready did the first time
>on my other hd... Is there any way to reactivat my cd key or... I dont
>know I just want to play!

If you somehow managed to lose the games registered with your account, you
need to contact Valve and say that your account information was corrupted.

I've installed Steam on a DeepFreezed computer, and had no problems keeping
games that I've registered completely.
February 5, 2005 1:32:54 AM

"Will" <will-grace@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I need some help here... I recently had a hard drive die on me with my
> stem and HL2 account on it. So I go and buy a new one and install steam
> and it wants me to regester my cdkey, but I allready did the first time
> on my other hd... Is there any way to reactivat my cd key or... I dont
> know I just want to play!

I'll be in the same boat soon as I am doing a clean OS install then
reinstalling all my games, so I'm wondering how Steam will react to me
trying to install a game it already has registered...?

--
Rocky
www.jointopscentral.com | www.ghostrecon.net | www.agr-s.com |

__
February 5, 2005 1:55:19 AM

Rocky wrote:
> "Will" <will-grace@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I need some help here... I recently had a hard drive die on me with
>> my stem and HL2 account on it. So I go and buy a new one and install
>> steam and it wants me to regester my cdkey, but I allready did the
>> first time on my other hd... Is there any way to reactivat my cd key
>> or... I dont know I just want to play!
>
> I'll be in the same boat soon as I am doing a clean OS install then
> reinstalling all my games, so I'm wondering how Steam will react to me
> trying to install a game it already has registered...?

as long as you use the SAME account then you'll be fine

--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
Anonymous

Will wrote:
> I need some help here... I recently had a hard drive die on me with my
> stem and HL2 account on it. So I go and buy a new one and install
> steam and it wants me to regester my cdkey, but I allready did the
> first time on my other hd... Is there any way to reactivat my cd key
> or... I dont know I just want to play!

you bought a new account?
you just had to use the old account not the new one
--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
February 5, 2005 2:51:54 AM

Will wrote:
> I need some help here... I recently had a hard drive die on me with my
> stem and HL2 account on it. So I go and buy a new one and install steam
> and it wants me to regester my cdkey, but I allready did the first time
> on my other hd... Is there any way to reactivat my cd key or... I dont
> know I just want to play!

I had the retail version from Amazon. I dont know whether you have
broadband or not but I have and when I re-installed after buying a new
hard-drive I just signed into my Steam account, downloaded HL2 and
started playing. You only ever register once and those games are
available for d-load for ever after (or, as difool might say until Vlave
go burning down in flames!!!!!). The DVD is put away safe - dont need it..

--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts"

Bertrand Russell
February 5, 2005 2:51:55 AM

> Will wrote:
>> I need some help here... I recently had a hard drive die on me with my
>> stem and HL2 account on it. So I go and buy a new one and install steam
>> and it wants me to regester my cdkey, but I allready did the first time
>> on my other hd... Is there any way to reactivat my cd key or... I dont
>> know I just want to play!
>>

> I had the retail version from Amazon. I dont know whether you have
> broadband or not but I have and when I re-installed after buying a new
> hard-drive I just signed into my Steam account, downloaded HL2 and started
> playing. You only ever register once and those games are available for
> d-load for ever after (or, as difool might say until Vlave go burning down
> in flames!!!!!). The DVD is put away safe - dont need it..

Just curious, but wouldn't it be a whole lot faster to install from the
disc? JLC
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 2:51:56 AM

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:49:43 -0800, "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:

>"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
>

>> I had the retail version from Amazon. I dont know whether you have
>> broadband or not but I have and when I re-installed after buying a new
>> hard-drive I just signed into my Steam account, downloaded HL2 and started
>> playing. You only ever register once and those games are available for
>> d-load for ever after (or, as difool might say until Vlave go burning down
>> in flames!!!!!). The DVD is put away safe - dont need it..
>>

>Just curious, but wouldn't it be a whole lot faster to install from the
>disc? JLC

Even if it is faster to install from the DVD, downloading games via Steam
will appear faster - you can launch a partial download (even if it might be
a bit flaky.)

I"m not sure on the amount needed for HL2, but it can be played within 1
minute with HL classic.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 11:49:04 AM

On 4 Feb 2005, "Will" wrote:

> I need some help here... I recently had a hard drive die on me with my

have you ever stop for a minute and think about if it was any other
pc game you would not have any of this problems?
don't you find giving more than 50 bucks for a game entitles you to
have a free problem gaming experience?

this only happened cause valve forced you into accepting steam, and
now you have all its problem to deal with

don't let valve fool you again next time, say NO to any game based
on steam in the future!
be a pc game who will not give away his own freedom!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

February 5, 2005 2:13:42 PM

JLC wrote:
> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
>
>>Will wrote:
>>
>>>I need some help here... I recently had a hard drive die on me with my
>>>stem and HL2 account on it. So I go and buy a new one and install steam
>>>and it wants me to regester my cdkey, but I allready did the first time
>>>on my other hd... Is there any way to reactivat my cd key or... I dont
>>>know I just want to play!
>>>

>>I had the retail version from Amazon. I dont know whether you have
>>broadband or not but I have and when I re-installed after buying a new
>>hard-drive I just signed into my Steam account, downloaded HL2 and started
>>playing. You only ever register once and those games are available for
>>d-load for ever after (or, as difool might say until Vlave go burning down
>>in flames!!!!!). The DVD is put away safe - dont need it..
>>

> Just curious, but wouldn't it be a whole lot faster to install from the
> disc? JLC

TBH - simple curiosity. There had been some reports of folk with retail
versions suffering from more probs than those with Steam versions. I
wasn't in a rush to play, have a fairly fast connection and wanted to
see the difference, if any. Didn't notice any difference at all.

--

!