Is the Audigy 2ZS Platinum 2 worth getting? I now use SB L..

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
August 9, 2004 2:27:27 AM

Any advice on whether this card is worth getting? It looks good to
me. Only thing is that I'd like a card that has more mic inputs; it
has 2, plus 1 pair of RCA inputs. I'm looking to reduce audio
latency; might this card help? Any other suggestions for cards I
might consider? I'm using windows 2000, so many M-Audio cards won't
work with that, although if it's really worth it I would consider
changing my OS. Thanks for any advice.
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 4:54:33 AM

On 8 Aug 2004 22:27:27 -0700, fiddledd8@yahoo.com (Bob) wrote:

>Any advice on whether this card is worth getting? It looks good to
>me. Only thing is that I'd like a card that has more mic inputs; it
>has 2, plus 1 pair of RCA inputs. I'm looking to reduce audio
>latency; might this card help? Any other suggestions for cards I
>might consider? I'm using windows 2000, so many M-Audio cards won't
>work with that, although if it's really worth it I would consider
>changing my OS. Thanks for any advice.

I use an M Audio firewire audiophile card with ASIO and get 8ms
latency on softsynths, Very Impressive with a $500 2.8 ghz XP
installed HP Fred Meyer computer.

It's totally worth the OS (and computer) upgrade these days.

Kurt Riemann
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 4:02:26 PM

get xp with an audiophile. I can get 2ms on mine
Shiloh
<Kurt Riemann> wrote in message
> On 8 Aug 2004 22:27:27 -0700, fiddledd8@yahoo.com (Bob) wrote:
>
> >Any advice on whether this card is worth getting? It looks good to
> >me. Only thing is that I'd like a card that has more mic inputs; it
> >has 2, plus 1 pair of RCA inputs. I'm looking to reduce audio
> >latency; might this card help? Any other suggestions for cards I
> >might consider? I'm using windows 2000, so many M-Audio cards won't
> >work with that, although if it's really worth it I would consider
> >changing my OS. Thanks for any advice.
>
> I use an M Audio firewire audiophile card with ASIO and get 8ms
> latency on softsynths, Very Impressive with a $500 2.8 ghz XP
> installed HP Fred Meyer computer.
>
> It's totally worth the OS (and computer) upgrade these days.
>

> Kurt Riemann

August 11, 2004 12:26:12 AM

I honestly can't recommend the Audigy line if you're looking to reduce your
latency, mainly because I think you'd be sorely unimpressed with that aspect
if you bought it, in my opinion. Audigy's are great for gaming and such,
but when working with MIDI, forget it. Oh sure, you can do it but the
results will be less than flattering, as far as I'm concerned.

I have the Audiophile Firewire and would recommend it. It's very true that
you can get your latency down to as low as 2 ms, although you'd be very hard
pressed to notice any difference between 2 ms and 6 ms. The nice thing
about it is you don't have to go fiddling with IRQ's or working the PCI
slots. Just plug it in (with the computer turned off) and install the
drivers. It works without a hitch alongside my Audigy.

"shiloh" <aaronet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> get xp with an audiophile. I can get 2ms on mine
> Shiloh
> <Kurt Riemann> wrote in message
> > On 8 Aug 2004 22:27:27 -0700, fiddledd8@yahoo.com (Bob) wrote:
> >
> > >Any advice on whether this card is worth getting? It looks good to
> > >me. Only thing is that I'd like a card that has more mic inputs; it
> > >has 2, plus 1 pair of RCA inputs. I'm looking to reduce audio
> > >latency; might this card help? Any other suggestions for cards I
> > >might consider? I'm using windows 2000, so many M-Audio cards won't
> > >work with that, although if it's really worth it I would consider
> > >changing my OS. Thanks for any advice.
> >
> > I use an M Audio firewire audiophile card with ASIO and get 8ms
> > latency on softsynths, Very Impressive with a $500 2.8 ghz XP
> > installed HP Fred Meyer computer.
> >
> > It's totally worth the OS (and computer) upgrade these days.
> >

> > Kurt Riemann

August 13, 2004 5:38:05 AM

Thanks all for the advice. On paper the soundblaster Platinum Pro
looks better, but I now realize it's not really any good. I
understand Firewire only to a limited extent. I'm now debating between
the Audiophile 2496 and the Audiophile Firewire. Is the Firewire
faster for audio recording, MIDI, or everything relating to the
soundcard? Why is it so good? Also, why do people reccomend Windows
xp over other Windows for audio?

Kurt Riemann <> wrote in message news:<2peeh0d8ub4pg9du1gli0dfnd7c3g95ml1@4ax.com>...
> On 8 Aug 2004 22:27:27 -0700, fiddledd8@yahoo.com (Bob) wrote:
>
> >Any advice on whether this card is worth getting? It looks good to
> >me. Only thing is that I'd like a card that has more mic inputs; it
> >has 2, plus 1 pair of RCA inputs. I'm looking to reduce audio
> >latency; might this card help? Any other suggestions for cards I
> >might consider? I'm using windows 2000, so many M-Audio cards won't
> >work with that, although if it's really worth it I would consider
> >changing my OS. Thanks for any advice.
>
> I use an M Audio firewire audiophile card with ASIO and get 8ms
> latency on softsynths, Very Impressive with a $500 2.8 ghz XP
> installed HP Fred Meyer computer.
>
> It's totally worth the OS (and computer) upgrade these days.
>

> Kurt Riemann
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 1:07:30 PM

Firewire is an interface for the computer that allows you to run devices
externally, rather than internally. If you know what USB is, it's similar
to that, just a different interface and requires a different type of cable
than USB to send data to your PC. If you're confused, just consider
Firewire an alternative to USB. They both allow you to hook up and run
external devices (like hard drives, digital cameras, etc.) via a cable
plugged into your computer. To use Firewire, however, you'll need to have a
Firewire PCI card installed in your computer. If you have an Audigy, you
should already have a Firewire port, as it comes equipped with one on the
Audigy.

One of the main advantages of Firewire is convenience, not necessarily
performance. As far as performance goes, however, you shouldn't notice any
difference between the internal and external versions. I can attain a 2 ms
latency in MIDI, which should be good enough for anyone. I also like the
external (read Firewire) option because it minimizes IRQ conflicts and
assuming you have a Firewire port, there's no jacking with the innards of
your PC. You just plug it in the back of your computer via the Firewire
cable, install the drivers and you're up and running. It worked like a
charm for me. Also, if you have a laptop, you can unplug it from your PC
and use it in conjunction with the laptop.

The Firewire version has a breakout box, which I really like over the
internal version, since it has a headphone jack and level control knobs on
it. The PCI version doesn't. With the breakout box, it's easy to adjust
inputs and outputs if need be, since they're on the breakout box; no having
to get behind your PC.

If you can't afford the Firewire version, or just don't want to spend the
money, you should do fine with the internal version. If you have a little
extra, I'd recommend the Firewire, however.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

--
J.C. Scott

"Nothing cures insomnia like the realization that it's time to get up."

!