Sign in with
Your question

what is the best solution to watch divx on TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 19, 2002 1:57:00 PM

Greetings! I am movies fun and I have collected quite many divx movies. But, watching them on monitors is quite tiring, therefore, and there happens to be a better solution --- watch them on TV by hooking up the TV to the ocmputer! I want ask the experts what cards are good for this purpose? I mean there are graphic cards with TV out connection, but I have tried one GF4 MX440, but quality of the picture on TV is really really poor, I can hardly recognize anything. is there any other Graphic card can do this better? or is there any other special cards out there which can fullfil my need?

Thanks in advance for your help

More about : solution watch divx

July 19, 2002 3:05:45 PM

I have had lots of experience with ATI graphics cards with tv out and they give very good tv out quality (they are generally considered to be the best tv quality amongst any mainstream products).

My experience has been both with ATI All In Wonder cards, and with laptops using ATI graphics technology and including svideo out connections. I'm not sure what the most cost effective way to get tv out added on to a computer is since I just use my All In Wonder card...

<font color=green><b>More salt than just a grain you will need with posts of mine. - Yoda</b></font color=green>
July 23, 2002 2:28:52 AM

ATI has the best TV-out, but the text will still be hard to read, because TV's are 1.) Analog, meaning blurry, and 2.) Low Resolution, meaning grainy. In order to read text, you have to crank up the font size, with any card.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
Related resources
July 23, 2002 11:18:54 PM

I simply convert the DivX movie to MPG then to VCD format by burning it with Nero Burning ROM...pop it in my TV's DVD player with VCD support and watch almost as exactly as you see it on a PC monitor...a quite tiring and long task coz of the conversion and burning but it works! I use CD-RW disks to save money but if you opt to use CD-Rs then you have an instant back-up of your movies and they can be played at almost any TV players with VCD support...

Ignore me if this is not an option for you :^]
September 12, 2002 10:07:54 PM

I use ATI & s-video and am VERY happy with the quality of DivX, but because of the limitations of S-video (480i), even my 50" Toshiba HDTV makes a lousy monitor.

The only real solution to using a TV as a monitor (beside watching movies) is using Component Out (720p, 1080i). I bought ATI's component adapters though and they SUCK! I can't get them to use any of the modes I select, changing resolutions to match the TV's modes causes a black screen and anything over 800x600 causes a virtual desktop...

So, cheap and easy, get an ATI with s-video, it is great for movies. If you want to use an nice HDTV, getting a good solution is going the be hard...

Scourge
September 12, 2002 10:07:54 PM

I use ATI & s-video and am VERY happy with the quality of DivX, but because of the limitations of S-video (480i), even my 50" Toshiba HDTV makes a lousy monitor.

The only real solution to using a TV as a monitor (beside watching movies) is using Component Out (720p, 1080i). I bought ATI's component adapters though and they SUCK! I can't get them to use any of the modes I select, changing resolutions to match the TV's modes causes a black screen and anything over 800x600 causes a virtual desktop...

So, cheap and easy, get an ATI with s-video, it is great for movies. If you want to use an nice HDTV, getting a good solution is going the be hard...

Scourge
September 21, 2002 7:46:32 AM

Bullshit, you can just spend the extra $100 on the $2000 HDTV set to get one with an XVGA 15-pin input.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
September 21, 2002 7:10:41 PM

Ditto Hartski's post.

Hartski has his sh!t together, and knows what the hell is up. You spend very little cash, and with a decent processor and burner, very little time with that solution.

P4's @ 3600Mhz ()wNz J00 4LL!!!!!!
September 24, 2002 10:44:34 AM

is it really worth it to use rw's, when you can get cd-rs for $.2 each? seems easier to just throw away the cd if you don't want to watch the moov again :) 
November 8, 2002 4:42:37 PM

Do not wast your time with mpg1, the quality is terrible. I run dvx through my computer to my tv with s cable and AIW 8500 card. Comes out excellent. If you go with cds you must a minimum go with svcd mpg2 format for any kind of quality and make sure your dvd player uses it.
Anonymous
July 25, 2010 11:40:58 AM

You can buy a new Divx player which will also play xvid and dvd's on ebay for £20. I have one myself, No hooking up your pc. Looks just like a normal dvd player.
!