Why does my router try to connect to neighbors connection

mkh0310

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
I have no WEP key on mine bc when I try to, it locks me out and I cannot figure out how to use it right. But my problem is that when I am trying to log onto my internet, if my neighbors are online, it tries to connect to theirs instead. Please help.

First of all, you're asking for trouble if you don't use good wireless security, and given that WEP has been cracked for a long time, it's barely better than no wireless security at all (perhaps worse if it lulls you into a false sense of security). So if you're using an older, WEP-only wireless router, it's time to upgrade to one that supports WPA/WPA2, and use it.

As far as your neighbor, if you and the neighbor have the same SSID (which could be the case if you never changed the default SSID) and same wireless security settings, then your computer has no way to distinguish one from the other. Also, if you’re not broadcasting your wireless router’s SSID (some ppl do this in the mistaken belief it enhances security, which it does NOT), your Windows machine may wonder over to another wireless router that *is* broadcasting its SSID, esp. if both routers are OPEN (as in, no wireless security settings).

All these problems can be avoided by using modern wireless security (WPA/WPA2) and always broadcasting your SSID. If you're having problems in this regard, you need to find out why, not reduce your security.