Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrade premium to professional

Last response: in Windows 7
April 23, 2012 2:45:42 AM

Hello,
I downloaded a 30 day version of premium and purchased the full version of professional. How do I upgrade? I don't want to do a clean install. Just got my computer back to normal due to crash and don't want to start all over again. I thought it'd be as easy as selecting "Upgrade" from the disc. There is an upgrade folder but it only has netflix in it. Can you help?
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
April 23, 2012 2:57:11 AM

insert the disk and run setup.

follow prompts.
m
l
April 23, 2012 8:37:50 PM

Anonymous said:
insert the disk and run setup.

follow prompts.

I don't want to format the disc and do a full install. That's the only options I have. I want to leave my computer as is and just upgrade. I think I have to get into bios and find the upgrade otion there.

I started computer with disc in and hit "Del" to go to bios but don't see any option to upgrade?

Scratching my head . . . ?
m
l
Related resources
April 23, 2012 8:56:52 PM

If I insert disc and follow instructions, when I click Upgrade it takes to "Windows Anytime Upgrade" and want to sell me the upgrade. Already have full version but only want to upgrade so I don't lose all my setting, etc.

Thanks
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
April 23, 2012 9:06:53 PM

the BIOS is completely different than the Operating System. i am very surprised it insists on formatting since windows 7 is already on there, unless you are upgrading from a 32 bit to 64 bit, then you MUST do a "clean" install.
m
l
April 23, 2012 9:12:37 PM

No, it's 32 to 32. Yes it says this will format disc and starts copying files . .
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
April 23, 2012 9:38:10 PM

that sucks. sorry for my ignorance, i usually do a clean install everytime so i don't run across any drivers going flonky by re-installing those also.

found this:
it looks like you can use your retail key.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...
April 23, 2012 11:20:45 PM

Anonymous said:
that sucks. sorry for my ignorance, i usually do a clean install everytime so i don't run across any drivers going flonky by re-installing those also.

found this:
it looks like you can use your retail key.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

Hey looniam, It worked ! I had visited the "Anythime Upgrade" site and researched it. I even read the difference between an upgrade key and a product code so I didn't try it. All you do is, like you said, go to the site and hit the "Enter Key" box and do so. I'm not sure if it will upgrade from the disc in the drive or from on line, but it did it in 10 minutes.

Thanks so much !!
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
April 23, 2012 11:52:46 PM

glad it worked :) 
m
l
April 24, 2012 1:25:00 AM

Best answer selected by rededog.
m