Sign in with
Your question

I want to add an xp pc to my secure wireless router network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 14, 2012 1:43:37 AM

We needed to reformat the hard drive and re install windows xp home. It had been part of our home wireless router network along with my husband's macbook. I can't get the pc back in the network. theres a key, (an old phone number we used to have) but I cant get to any window on the pc that gives me a place to enter the key. I did this once before with a friend a couple of years ago, and it was a simple thing, but I forgot and netgear, the router maker, wants me to pay $139 for a years service. Hell, that's twice what I paid for the router. Can anyone help?
July 14, 2012 2:29:25 AM

Go to Start->Run, type "ncpa.cpl" (no quotes) and hit enter. That will take you to the Network Connections section. You should see the wireless adapter listed (probably named "Wireless Network Connection"). If not, then you haven't installed the wireless adapter's drivers. If it is there, make sure it says "enabled". If not, right click and enable it. Once enabled, it should show a network icon in the system tray. Click that icon and you'll be given a list of available wireless networks, select one, provide the key, and you should get connected.
!