Help me with my wireless adapter

lilmanlew

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
i have just got a new pc and i bought a usb wireless adapter (ADDON NWU281). I installed it and the internet works but i only get up to around 1 Mbps, when everything else gets (phones laptop) 2-3Mbps. when i download a game or software i get up to 100kbps.

is this something wrong with the adapter?
can someone help me?

:hello:

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Check the configuration and look for the channel it's set to receive on. Either set it to automatic or experiment with some others. If you can access your router, see what channel it broadcasts on and match the adapter with that.

lilmanlew

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
im a newbie can u tell me how to do thAT

To access the router settings (and to save me writing it all out again) use the instruction in our Sticky Post here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/38111-18-find-change-wireless-security

The channel setting will be in the wireless section and it's best left alone so just take a note of it. If it's described as Automatic, that's a good sign. The wireless adapter can be configured in its own settings which you can find in Control Panel>Network and Sharing Centre>Manage Wireless Networks. If the router is set to Automatic channel, set the adapter to Roaming. Otherwise just make sure it's sure it has the same channel as the router.