Sign in with
Your question

Connecting my server to switch using fiber

Last response: in Networking
August 11, 2012 2:06:52 AM

Hello everyone. I'm not a networking professional but fairly tech savvy. Looking to build as fast as possible home network das/San/nas type box. Goin to fill a norco 4020 case with a bunch of drives, raid controller, dual processor mb and as much ram as I can fit. Plan on running openfiler on the box. Then goin to connect it to my server with with a fibre hba on either side. My big question is can I then put another fibre hba into the server and connect my server to my switch? Haven't purchased any of the parts yet in the research and planning phase. The hope is to make the fastest media server possible. My currant setup with a nas box plugged into my router has reached its limit. Almost full and when I stream hi deff movies to my ps3 an annoying lag. Goal is to be able to stream to all 3 ps3's in the house at once. Would really like to keep the fiber in play as far into the system as possible. Any ideas or pointers would be greatly aprreicated. Thank you kindly.

More about : connecting server switch fiber

August 11, 2012 6:55:38 AM

what is you budget
m
l
August 11, 2012 1:15:22 PM

Prolly a couple grand.
m
l
Related resources
August 11, 2012 7:20:35 PM

I've been looking into something similar. Don't worry about fiber. HBA is not about file sharing, it's amount storage management.

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac170/Manso2525/File...

Here is a layout I was looking at. It's not perfect, but it's a good start. I was planning on putting FreeBSD+ZFS to host files.
m
l
August 11, 2012 9:47:08 PM

Just switching from copper to fiber is probably not going to give you that great of a difference. In most situations with a basic file server situation, your limitation is not your network bandwidth but your hard drive IO bandwidth. A gigabit switch, NIC, and cabling will offer around 125 MB/s throughput, but the average hard drive is only going to give you around 70 MB/s. Thus, if you want to take full advantage of your gigabit network you actually need to upgrade your storage subsystem to give your drives the greatest throughput first.

Of course, if you're going to be streaming HD video you're going to have to have a direct ethernet connection instead of wireless, that is understandable. But make sure as well that your network switch is designed to offer greater total throughput to multiple gigabit connections simultaneously. What kind of network switch and router are you using?

I doubt that for your home use, streaming to a few end compute devices, that you would need to go with dual processors in your primary storage server, unless you're using the box to actually render and output all the video as well as storing the data. A single socket Xeon system with 8 GB of RAM and a nice dedicated RAID controller card is going to fit your needs and offer room to grow. Still, it's nice if you can find a server-class motherboard that offers several PCI-Express expansion slots (x8 and x16 electrical) so that you can have room to add in more RAID controllers to support more drives if necessary, or dedicated graphics if you give additional roles to the box or need video processing done at the actual host.
m
l
August 13, 2012 11:06:22 AM

Around $250 for a Layer2 1Gb 8port switch, then another $80-$125 for an Intel dual-port 1Gb NIC. That would allow for teamed 1Gb for an aggregate of 2Gb bidirectional.

Teamed NICs are like dual core CPUs. They can't make a single logic go faster, but it allows multiple to go faster.
m
l
August 13, 2012 1:43:21 PM

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-howto/31485-buil...

I've recently found this build and like the test results they've achieved. I want to go faster. My currant setup streams hd video to one ps3 around 95 Mbps. I still get an annoying lag during fast segments of a movie. In the end I'd like to be able to stream to more than one ps3 at once? Any ideas?
m
l
!