webcam reccomendations

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
hey all. I was thinking it would be real fun to send video mail to my friends while away at college. i don't want anything fancy-schmancy; i just want a camera to record a pretty good video that i could burn on one of those cdr mini discs. I've been looking at the quickcam express since, like i said, i don't want anything fancy, but it looks to have a good set of features and programs. also, should i get a cam with a microphone or can i just take any old microphone and sync it with the video? thanks

Save the trees.. wipe your ass with an owl.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Not much experience in this field. But I did use a web cam for a short while. If you want sound you probably want one with a connector for a microphone.

I would just want to warn you... videos you record from your web cam can take up a LOT of space on your hard drive. a 45 second video can be 200MB. Make sure yours has options to reduce recording quality or compress, because many of the cheap $45 ones don't have software that does that.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
aren't there porgrams on the net that can convert .avi (i'm guessing web cam works in .avi format) to divx or mpg2? also, you're saying go for the one with a built in mic, right?

Save the trees.. wipe your ass with an owl.