GTA:SA ... looking forward.

Just finished GTA:VC again. And despite myself, and despite its many faults,
it's an addictive and playable little ah heck. So the news that SA is 3 times
the size and does away with the 'get busted, spend 10 minutes driving back
to start the mission' problem makes me sit up and take notice.

Andrew

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:59:36 -0000, "One Punch Mickey"
<fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Just finished GTA:VC again. And despite myself, and despite its many faults,
>it's an addictive and playable little ah heck. So the news that SA is 3 times
>the size and does away with the 'get busted, spend 10 minutes driving back
>to start the mission' problem makes me sit up and take notice.

GTA:VC gave me a year of fun gameplay, a damn sight more entertainment
than I get from other games. I have read mixed reviews on GTA:SA and
so will just have to try it myself. It actually took me a couple of
weeks to get to like GTA:VC as it somehow felt wrong compared to GTA3,
but once I got used to it, I got hooked big time :)

"One Punch Mickey" <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just finished GTA:VC again. And despite myself, and despite its many
> faults, it's an addictive and playable little ah heck. So the news that SA
> is 3 times the size and does away with the 'get busted, spend 10 minutes
> driving back to start the mission' problem makes me sit up and take
> notice.

SA does not do away with the driving back to start the mission.
If anything, they took away one of VC's best features, the cab waiting
outside to take you back to the starting point.
There are a few missions where you can "skip the trip" but they don't happen
everytime.

Joe62 wrote:

> The other downgrade is the music. Simply not as good as VC.

Well you can't beat the 80s soundtrack vice city has, it's as simple as
that. :)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:59:36 -0000, "One Punch Mickey"
<fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:

>...and does away with the 'get busted, spend 10 minutes driving back
>to start the mission' problem makes me sit up and take notice.

No it doesn't! Still has this *idiotic* problem, and it's still the
worst aspect of the game.

Two wods, Rockstar North, two words is all you need to fix your bloody
game: "Retry mission?"

The game in general is massive in scope, the world is intimidatingly
huge ... which at first is a good and impressive thing, but becomes
more and more annoying solely because there's no retry-mission option.

The other downgrade is the music. Simply not as good as VC. Plus the
story is too serious, the cutscenes aren't as funny.

I own GTA SA, but never find myself booting it up because of the above
problems. I liked VC better.

Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:59:36 -0000, "One Punch Mickey"
><fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Just finished GTA:VC again. And despite myself, and despite its many faults,
>>it's an addictive and playable little ah heck. So the news that SA is 3 times
>>the size and does away with the 'get busted, spend 10 minutes driving back
>>to start the mission' problem makes me sit up and take notice.
>
>GTA:VC gave me a year of fun gameplay, a damn sight more entertainment
>than I get from other games. I have read mixed reviews on GTA:SA and
>so will just have to try it myself. It actually took me a couple of
>weeks to get to like GTA:VC as it somehow felt wrong compared to GTA3,
>but once I got used to it, I got hooked big time :)

How did GTA3 play after you'd made the adjustment?

I'd played GTA:VC before getting GTA3 and GTA3 felt so very, very wrong.
From the mute character, to enemies knowing what car you're in even if
it has tinted windows and you only stole it 30 seconds ago, to enemies
standing in full view of police shooting at you full auto with no
reaction, but _ONE_ single shot in the air from you got you 3 star
wanted instantly.

Plus GTA:VC had the helicopters and motorcycles (although are we really
supposed to believe that biker gang types ride what look like late 70's
Hondas?)

VC was much improved by some good user made mods (like a real Harley
chopper for the bikers to use.)

Sometimes i'd just ignore the missions and just drive around, something
that was much more enjoyable in VC than in 3 since there were nice long
straight stretches where you could really get the speed up.

Xocyll

Andrew

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:51:10 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:

>How did GTA3 play after you'd made the adjustment?

I sold GTA3 quite a while before VC came out so I am not sure how it
would feel now. One of the things I disliked about GTA3 was as you
played through the missions you annoyed the different factions so you
would be attacked on sight which spoiled the exploration. VC largely
did away with that so I could take a break from the missions and just
cruise around exploring a lot more.

Joe62 wrote:
> No it doesn't! Still has this *idiotic* problem, and it's still the
> worst aspect of the game.

It's not an 'idiotic problem', it's a deliberate time-sink to prevent
players realising that there's only about twenty minutes of actual
game-play in the game. Make twelve-year-olds spend twenty hours getting
to and from the missions as they have to repeatedly retry until they
complete them, and they think they got their money's worth out of that
twenty minutes.

Ok, I'm exagerrating a little, but the fact is that if you could jump
straight to the start of the missions and complete them first time, the
game would easily be completed in a couple of hours by anyone with the
slightest clue. This lack of actual, real game-play in GTA3 and VC is
why I won't be buying the next GTA game.

Mark

Steph

Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in

> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:51:10 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
> wrote:
>
>>How did GTA3 play after you'd made the adjustment?
>
> I sold GTA3 quite a while before VC came out so I am not sure how it
> would feel now. One of the things I disliked about GTA3 was as you
> played through the missions you annoyed the different factions so you
> would be attacked on sight which spoiled the exploration. VC largely
> did away with that so I could take a break from the missions and just
> cruise around exploring a lot more.

Truly. My brother went and did the "Bitch/N Dog Food" missions before
the paramedic missions, and now he keeps getting pulled out of the
ambulance in Chinatown while waiting for the patient to get on.

And just forget all about going back into Mafia territory after you've
left the first island.

Of course, after finishing the game I enjoyed going through the third
island's Cartel territory on foot and seeing how far I could get.

stePH
--
If it cannot break the egg's shell, a chick will die without being born.
We are the chick. The world is our egg.

Andrew wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2005 11:21:21 -0800, mmaker@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> I spent at least 10 times more driving/flying/exploring/site
> seeing/playing in GTA:VC than I did playing the missions. That is why
> I will be buying GTA:SA.
> --

I'm the same way, I love to crank up some good music and just cruise
around. And GTA:SA is great for exploring, and of course it even has
rural areas and small towns. It's like a whole county.

Andrew

mmaker@my-deja.com wrote:

>It's not an 'idiotic problem', it's a deliberate time-sink to prevent
>players realising that there's only about twenty minutes of actual
>game-play in the game.

I'm not entirely convinced ... they seem to have a desire to "solve"
it in some creative way, since they've tried three different (failed
and half-assed) techniques. Sometimes, you shouldn't try to be
creative - maybe especially on simple, solved problems!

Joe

In article <1108430303.289945.87020@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Mr. Stabby <control_z@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm the same way, I love to crank up some good music and just cruise
>around. And GTA:SA is great for exploring, and of course it even has
>rural areas and small towns. It's like a whole county.

In GTA games, I tend to consider the storyline to be a lengthy and
thorough tutorial. Once all the missions are over, the real fun begins
:)

Cheers
Bent D
--