Fry's flogging HL2 for $39.99 this weekend....

Price on Steam is still $49.95.

Also I notice that Babbages' <standard> in-store price on the HL2
Collector's Edition is $59.99. On Steam it is still $89.95.....

And Twitty and friends consider that retail distribution of PC games
is passe, dowload is the only way... Yeah, if you like being shafted
on price by greedy developers like Valve.

Assuming that you live in a competitive free-market country, of
course......

John Lewis

John Lewis wrote:
> Price on Steam is still $49.95.
>
> Also I notice that Babbages' <standard> in-store price on the HL2
> Collector's Edition is $59.99. On Steam it is still $89.95.....
>
> And Twitty and friends consider that retail distribution of PC games
> is passe, dowload is the only way... Yeah, if you like being shafted
> on price by greedy developers like Valve.
>
> Assuming that you live in a competitive free-market country, of
> course......
>
> John Lewis

Firstly there is no collectors edition available on steam, you are of
course talking about the 'gold' package and there is a vast difference
between what you get with that vs the retail collectors edition.

Retail collectors edition of HL2 includes:

* Half-Life 2
* Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
* Counter-Strike: Source
* Half-Life 1: Source
* Half-Life 2 T-shirt
* Prima book sampler

Steam Gold package includes:

* Half-Life 2
* Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
* Counter-Strike:Source
* Half-Life 1: Source
* Day of Defeat: Source
* Valve's back catalog available on Steam.
* PLUS: HL2 posters, full strategy guide, soundtrack, hat, collector's
box,
postcard & a chance to win a trip to Valve.

noman

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:38:55 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>Price on Steam is still $49.95.
>
>Also I notice that Babbages' <standard> in-store price on the HL2
>Collector's Edition is $59.99. On Steam it is still $89.95.....

How about all the rest of the days, when Steam has the game for 49.95
and Frys for $54.95. In fact, I was at Frys today and they had HL2 for
$54.95 which came out to $60 after tax. With Steam purchase, you don't
pay sales tax unless you are in Washington.

Anyway, I bought the game at Microcenter for $39.95 within two or
three day of its release. I saved only $7 (and less, if you consider
gasoline price for 20 miles round trip) but I did want to reward a
store that was offering the game for sale. I'd hate to see a game
getting offered just through a single vendor with no chances of any
special competitive prices and sales.

My 2¢
--
Noman

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

"noman" <ZZZYYno_m_anZZZYY@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:38:55 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
> wrote:
>
>>Price on Steam is still $49.95.
>>
>>Also I notice that Babbages' <standard> in-store price on the HL2
>>Collector's Edition is $59.99. On Steam it is still $89.95.....
>>

> How about all the rest of the days, when Steam has the game for 49.95
> and Frys for $54.95. In fact, I was at Frys today and they had HL2 for
> $54.95 which came out to $60 after tax. With Steam purchase, you don't
> pay sales tax unless you are in Washington.
>
> Anyway, I bought the game at Microcenter for $39.95 within two or
> three day of its release. I saved only $7 (and less, if you consider
> gasoline price for 20 miles round trip) but I did want to reward a
> store that was offering the game for sale. I'd hate to see a game
> getting offered just through a single vendor with no chances of any
> special competitive prices and sales.

They were probably selling it at cost or just under cost as a 'loss leader'
to entice people into the store hoping they'd buy something else besides
just the game. If all you did was buy the game, you punished them, not
rewarded them. Not complaining; just clarifying.

noman

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:07:01 -0500, "Nonymous" <noham@nospam.com>
wrote:

>"noman" <ZZZYYno_m_anZZZYY@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Anyway, I bought the game at Microcenter for $39.95 within two or
>> three day of its release. I saved only $7 (and less, if you consider
>> gasoline price for 20 miles round trip) but I did want to reward a
>> store that was offering the game for sale. I'd hate to see a game
>> getting offered just through a single vendor with no chances of any
>> special competitive prices and sales.
>
>They were probably selling it at cost or just under cost as a 'loss leader'
>to entice people into the store hoping they'd buy something else besides
>just the game. If all you did was buy the game, you punished them, not
>rewarded them. Not complaining; just clarifying.

I understand. I rewarded them with my presence at their stores :)
whether I bought something else or not is another matter. I also never
price-match between stores and always try to get the object I want
from the store that originally offered it at those special prices.
--
Noman