Lollipops on sale

Last response: in Home Audio
August 10, 2004 6:11:05 PM

An unsolicited ad for BLUE mics.

Their email newletter has the B6 Lollipop microphone capsule for AKC C451,
C28 et al for only $350 (2 for $600). This is an incredible deal.

The Lollipop capsule reportedly has some of the sound of the AKG C-12 with
a slightly different high end and less bass.

http://www.vintagemicrophone.com/JShop/

More about : lollipops sale

August 11, 2004 5:57:39 AM

So they just have one model for the 451 now. I wonder which of their
"vintage" (B*) models this represents. I seem to remember the B6, B7
vintage type being available the 451(and the M582 too).

Carey Carlan wrote:

> An unsolicited ad for BLUE mics.
>
> Their email newletter has the B6 Lollipop microphone capsule for AKC C451,
> C28 et al for only $350 (2 for $600). This is an incredible deal.
>
> The Lollipop capsule reportedly has some of the sound of the AKG C-12 with
> a slightly different high end and less bass.
>
> http://www.vintagemicrophone.com/JShop/
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 5:57:40 AM

Bryson <redbugg@mindNOSPAMspring.com> wrote:
>So they just have one model for the 451 now. I wonder which of their
>"vintage" (B*) models this represents. I seem to remember the B6, B7
>vintage type being available the 451(and the M582 too).

None of them, really. And since the capsule on the new one doesn't
unscrew, you can't use the BLUE capsules, or any of the other things
(like the long active cables) that made the older 451s so neat.
--scott

August 11, 2004 6:19:23 AM

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Bryson <redbugg@mindNOSPAMspring.com> wrote:
>
>>So they just have one model for the 451 now. I wonder which of their
>>"vintage" (B*) models this represents. I seem to remember the B6, B7
>>vintage type being available the 451(and the M582 too).
>

> None of them, really. And since the capsule on the new one doesn't
> unscrew, you can't use the BLUE capsules, or any of the other things
> (like the long active cables) that made the older 451s so neat.
> --scott

Yeah..it seems to me that they would've sold more had they made 'em
with screw on capsules. Then again, they would've had to charge more,
so maybe not.

Anonymous
August 11, 2004 4:58:53 PM

Bryson <redbugg@mindNOSPAMspring.com> wrote in

> So they just have one model for the 451 now. I wonder which of their
> "vintage" (B*) models this represents. I seem to remember the B6, B7
> vintage type being available the 451(and the M582 too).

<google search completed>

Originally, Skipper offered several capsules at $750. When they didn't
sell, he settled on the one B6 (similar to Mouse and Dragonfly) capsule.

He also mentioned a while back that for an additional fee they would mount
any capsule you like in the Lollipop.
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 4:49:06 AM

<< He also mentioned a while back that for an additional fee they would mount
any capsule you like in the Lollipop. >>

I wish Skipper would make a lolipop head for a nicer preamp than the 451- like
a Schoeps or a T.H.E. or a Neumann. While I haven't auditioned a BLUE cap on a
451 body, none of the AKG 400 series caps ever really tripped my trigger.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 4:49:07 AM

EganMedia <eganmedia@aol.com> wrote:
><< He also mentioned a while back that for an additional fee they would mount
>any capsule you like in the Lollipop. >>

> I wish Skipper would make a lolipop head for a nicer preamp than the 451- like
>a Schoeps or a T.H.E. or a Neumann. While I haven't auditioned a BLUE cap on a
>451 body, none of the AKG 400 series caps ever really tripped my trigger.

I actually like the AKG 480, which I think is the first really clean
sounding mike in that whole series. The adaptor ring to put 451 capsules
on the 480 body isn't available any more and is worth way too much when it
shows up used, but I bet Skipper could make you one for the 460/480 thread.

An adaptor from 451 to Schoeps thread would be a little harder to make but
with a capsule that size, you could get away with more parasitic capacitance
than you could with a smaller capsule which makes it an easier job. Again,
ask Skipper. They're more reluctant to do one-off jobs than they used to be,
but it's not impossible.
--scott

August 12, 2004 6:07:46 AM

eganmedia@aol.com (EganMedia) wrote in

> << He also mentioned a while back that for an additional fee they
> would mount any capsule you like in the Lollipop. >>

> I wish Skipper would make a lolipop head for a nicer preamp than the
> 451- like
> a Schoeps or a T.H.E. or a Neumann. While I haven't auditioned a BLUE
> cap on a 451 body, none of the AKG 400 series caps ever really tripped
> my trigger.

I seem to be the only BLUE proponent here, and I don't even own one (yet).

BLUE Vintage Style Microphone Capsules for your Neumann/Geffel CMV 563, 3,
4, 5 & RFT Tube microphones:

http://www.vintagemicrophone.com/JShop/section.php?xSec...
August 12, 2004 12:15:06 PM

I don't know why, but it's funny to me seeing "our price" on the
manufacturer's site.

Carey Carlan wrote:
> Bryson <redbugg@mindNOSPAMspring.com> wrote in
>

>>So they just have one model for the 451 now. I wonder which of their
>>"vintage" (B*) models this represents. I seem to remember the B6, B7
>>vintage type being available the 451(and the M582 too).
>

> <google search completed>
>
> Originally, Skipper offered several capsules at $750. When they didn't
> sell, he settled on the one B6 (similar to Mouse and Dragonfly) capsule.
>
> He also mentioned a while back that for an additional fee they would mount
> any capsule you like in the Lollipop.
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 4:13:56 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> EganMedia <eganmedia@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>> He also mentioned a while back that for an additional fee they would mount
>>> any capsule you like in the Lollipop.
>>
>> I wish Skipper would make a lolipop head for a nicer preamp than the 451- like
>> a Schoeps or a T.H.E. or a Neumann. While I haven't auditioned a BLUE cap on a
>> 451 body, none of the AKG 400 series caps ever really tripped my trigger.
>

> I actually like the AKG 480, which I think is the first really clean
> sounding mike in that whole series. The adaptor ring to put 451 capsules
> on the 480 body isn't available any more and is worth way too much when it
> shows up used

A60M

I bought a pair from AKG Nashville a couple years back and they were $70 at the time.

> I bet Skipper could make you one for the 460/480 thread.

I asked about this but was told there was not enough demand (although someone mentioned that the prototype lollipop may have had a 460/480 thread.)
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 8:16:45 PM

Save the bales!!

Nathan Eldred
http://www.atlasproaudio.com

Carey Carlan <gulfjoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns954167A39C66Cgulfjoehotmailcom@207.69.154.202>...
> An unsolicited ad for BLUE mics.
>
> Their email newletter has the B6 Lollipop microphone capsule for AKC C451,
> C28 et al for only $350 (2 for $600). This is an incredible deal.
>
> The Lollipop capsule reportedly has some of the sound of the AKG C-12 with
> a slightly different high end and less bass.
>
> http://www.vintagemicrophone.com/JShop/
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 11:57:29 PM

EganMedia <eganmedia@aol.com> wrote:

> I wish Skipper would make a lolipop head for a nicer preamp than the 451- like
> a Schoeps or a T.H.E. or a Neumann. While I haven't auditioned a BLUE cap on a
> 451 body, none of the AKG 400 series caps ever really tripped my trigger.

How about the C60, C61? If they work on a 451, they ought to go on a
C60.

In fact, then you have the equivalent of a C12!
(just kidding).
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 12:47:58 AM

In article <cfgi39$loi$1@news1.chem.utoronto.ca>,
Rob Reedijk <reedijk@hera.med.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> EganMedia <eganmedia@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > I wish Skipper would make a lolipop head for a nicer preamp than the 451-
> > like
> > a Schoeps or a T.H.E. or a Neumann. While I haven't auditioned a BLUE cap
> > on a
> > 451 body, none of the AKG 400 series caps ever really tripped my trigger.
>
> How about the C60, C61? If they work on a 451, they ought to go on a
> C60.
>
> In fact, then you have the equivalent of a C12!
> (just kidding).

I use a BLUE lollipop on a C28 body, and while it's a nice combination,
it's no C12 I'm afraid, inspite of the circuitry being essentially the
same.

I will also say that the capsule is very well built, and is worth
picking up for those who have the appropriate bodies (mic bodies, that
is).

bruce seifried
eclair engineering
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 1:41:43 AM

In article <cfgi39$loi$1@news1.chem.utoronto.ca>,
Rob Reedijk <reedijk@hera.med.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> EganMedia <eganmedia@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > I wish Skipper would make a lolipop head for a nicer preamp than the 451-
> > like
> > a Schoeps or a T.H.E. or a Neumann. While I haven't auditioned a BLUE cap
> > on a
> > 451 body, none of the AKG 400 series caps ever really tripped my trigger.
>
> How about the C60, C61? If they work on a 451, they ought to go on a
> C60.

They do work quite well - that's where my B6 lollipop has been living
for some time. I find the B7 sounds nice on a C61. Yes, all of these
work just fine, they all sound different and many times, they can sound
better than a 451.

> In fact, then you have the equivalent of a C12!
> (just kidding).

Actually, to do that, you'd want to use the C28 electronics, which use
the same output tranny and tube as the C12 IIRC.

The Lollipops are quite a good buy IMHO.

Regards,

Monte McGuire
monte.mcguire@verizon.net
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 1:44:12 AM

In article <2o1trlF5ovqvU1@uni-berlin.de>,
Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:

> > I bet Skipper could make you one for the 460/480 thread.
>
> I asked about this but was told there was not enough demand (although someone
> mentioned that the prototype lollipop may have had a 460/480 thread.)

I bet the Lollipop would work with that goofy adapter they sold with the
460 when it shipped with a CK-1 capsule, before the CK61 capsule was
available.

Regards,

Monte McGuire
monte.mcguire@verizon.net
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 1:44:13 AM

Monte McGuire wrote:
> In article <2o1trlF5ovqvU1@uni-berlin.de>,
> Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:
>

>>> I bet Skipper could make you one for the 460/480 thread.
>>
>> I asked about this but was told there was not enough demand (although someone
>> mentioned that the prototype lollipop may have had a 460/480 thread.)
>

> I bet the Lollipop would work with that goofy adapter they sold with the
> 460 when it shipped with a CK-1 capsule, before the CK61 capsule was
> available.

That's an A60M, and I have two of them (purchased mostly for this task.)

Bought a pair of the lollipops yesterday--that $300 offer pushed me over the edge.
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 1:44:13 AM

Monte McGuire <monte.mcguire@verizon.net> wrote:
>In article <2o1trlF5ovqvU1@uni-berlin.de>,
> Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:
>
>> > I bet Skipper could make you one for the 460/480 thread.
>>
>> I asked about this but was told there was not enough demand (although someone
>> mentioned that the prototype lollipop may have had a 460/480 thread.)
>
>I bet the Lollipop would work with that goofy adapter they sold with the
>460 when it shipped with a CK-1 capsule, before the CK61 capsule was
>available.

Right, but you can't get that adaptor, and everybody wants it. If you
find some, I know a couple people who are desperate to find them.
--scott

August 13, 2004 2:53:32 AM

> In fact, then you have the equivalent of a C12!
> (just kidding).

In fact, an actual CK12 on a C28 would be pretty darn close.

JP
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 3:59:23 AM

Carey Carlan: << I seem to be the only BLUE proponent here, and I don't even
own one (yet).

Actually, many have mentioned nice things about their mics on this group. I
have a pair of Cactus and am crazy about them. In addition to being great,
vintagy vocal mics, they are superb on trumpet (yes, a condenser) and clarinet.
I end up using them on every session.
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 3:59:24 AM

Jim Kollens wrote:

> Carey Carlan

>> I seem to be the only BLUE proponent here, and I don't even
>> own one (yet).
>

> Actually, many have mentioned nice things about their mics on this group. I
> have a pair of Cactus and am crazy about them. In addition to being great,
> vintagy vocal mics, they are superb on trumpet (yes, a condenser) and clarinet.

Besides, you gotta love the industrial design aspect...
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 6:07:40 AM

In article <2o275cF63emjU1@uni-berlin.de>,
Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:

> That's an A60M, and I have two of them (purchased mostly for this task.)
>
> Bought a pair of the lollipops yesterday--that $300 offer pushed me over the
> edge.

Nice! Tell us how you like them and what you end up using them on...

Regards,

Monte McGuire
monte.mcguire@verizon.net
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 7:20:00 PM

I have a Blue Bottle B7 capsule in a Lollipop head that Skipper made up for
me a couple of years ago. I use it on both 451s and on AKG 480s with an A60M
adapter. The B7 sounds very nice on a 451 but is audio nirvana to me on the
480 mic amp body. As Scott said in an earlier post, the 480s really are
quite nice mics and, in my experience, good things happen with a B7 capsule
on a 480 mic body.

Going with a 451 or a 480 gives me a choice of colors, either transformer
(451) or transformerless (480) depending on the application.

Based on how much I like my B7 Lollipop, I ordered a pair of the standard
Lollipops as soon as I heard about the sale.

John

Monte McGuire <monte.mcguire@verizon.net> wrote in message
> In article <2o1trlF5ovqvU1@uni-berlin.de>,
> Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:
>
> > > I bet Skipper could make you one for the 460/480 thread.
> >
> > I asked about this but was told there was not enough demand (although
someone
> > mentioned that the prototype lollipop may have had a 460/480 thread.)
>
> I bet the Lollipop would work with that goofy adapter they sold with the
> 460 when it shipped with a CK-1 capsule, before the CK61 capsule was
> available.
>
> Regards,
>
> Monte McGuire
> monte.mcguire@verizon.net
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 11:38:23 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> [Y]ou can't get that adaptor, and everybody wants it. If you find
> some, I know a couple people who are desperate to find them.

A 60 M adapters are normally available from AKG Acoustics in Nashville
at (615) 620-3832. Last time I bought one (Oct. 2002), Pat the parts
lady had 16 in stock at $69 apiece plus shipping.

When I told her that the adapter had a reputation for being hard to get,
she seemed puzzled and told me that as long as she had worked there, to
her knowledge they had never _not_ been available.
August 14, 2004 4:21:26 AM

How long is this price good for?

Carey Carlan wrote:
> An unsolicited ad for BLUE mics.
>
> Their email newletter has the B6 Lollipop microphone capsule for AKC C451,
> C28 et al for only $350 (2 for $600). This is an incredible deal.
>
> The Lollipop capsule reportedly has some of the sound of the AKG C-12 with
> a slightly different high end and less bass.
>
> http://www.vintagemicrophone.com/JShop/
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 7:43:08 PM

> How long is this price good for?

You'll have to ask Skipper about that.
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 9:22:17 PM

Carey Carlan wrote:

> An unsolicited ad for BLUE mics.
>
> Their email newletter has the B6 Lollipop microphone capsule for AKC C451,
> C28 et al for only $350 (2 for $600). This is an incredible deal.
>
> The Lollipop capsule reportedly has some of the sound of the AKG C-12 with
> a slightly different high end and less bass.
>
> http://www.vintagemicrophone.com/JShop/

I inquired about replacement bands for the Blue (?) suspension at
Vintage Microphone, bu they apparently do not sell them. Does anyone
know where to get replacement bands? Will Skipper provide them?

http://www.vintagemicrophone.com/JShop/product.php?xPro...
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 12:35:16 AM

mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in

> I inquired about replacement bands for the Blue (?) suspension at
> Vintage Microphone, bu they apparently do not sell them. Does anyone
> know where to get replacement bands? Will Skipper provide them?
>

> http://www.vintagemicrophone.com/JShop/product.php?xPro...
> art=39363de71b39760500ac7f3ed56896ff

Once again, you'll have to ask him, but since Vintage Microphone is BLUE is
Skipper's company, I suspect not.
August 16, 2004 9:14:16 PM

Hey everyone.
We don't sell any replacement bands but if you have a blue mic
shockmount you need bands for, all you need to do is call our office
and ask to mail your shockmount to us and we will replace the bands
for you under our warranty for FREE :-)

As for the lollipop deal - we are sold out and back ordered but we
should get more in about 2 weeks. So if anyone is interested to get
one or 10, they should do it now while we still have the sale price up
on the site. As soon as we get the new order the price will go up to
$450.
Ari Soudak

mcp6453 <mcp6453@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<411E4A88.6F7A@earthlink.net>...
> Carey Carlan wrote:
> >
> > An unsolicited ad for BLUE mics.
> >
> > Their email newletter has the B6 Lollipop microphone capsule for AKC C451,
> > C28 et al for only $350 (2 for $600). This is an incredible deal.
> >
> > The Lollipop capsule reportedly has some of the sound of the AKG C-12 with
> > a slightly different high end and less bass.
> >
> > http://www.vintagemicrophone.com/JShop/
>

> I inquired about replacement bands for the Blue (?) suspension at
> Vintage Microphone, bu they apparently do not sell them. Does anyone
> know where to get replacement bands? Will Skipper provide them?
>

> http://www.vintagemicrophone.com/JShop/product.php?xPro...
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 4:32:28 AM

arielsoudak@yahoo.com (ariel) wrote in

> As for the lollipop deal - we are sold out and back ordered but we
> should get more in about 2 weeks. So if anyone is interested to get
> one or 10, they should do it now while we still have the sale price up
> on the site. As soon as we get the new order the price will go up to
> $450.
> Ari Soudak
> http://www.vintagemicrophone.com

Ah, got mine just time. They arrived today.
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 9:29:16 PM

Carey Carlan wrote:

> I seem to be the only BLUE proponent here,

I've had a B6 cap for my C451 for a few years now, and I like it very
well.

--
ha
Anonymous

They don't make the M582 lollipops anymore, which is a shame since I
just found out about them! But I'm lucky I guess, I got in touch with
them and they had *one* left which I bought... I can't wait to try it
on my mic.

Al

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:29:16 GMT, walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich)
wrote:

>Carey Carlan wrote:
>
>> I seem to be the only BLUE proponent here,
>
>I've had a B6 cap for my C451 for a few years now, and I like it very
>well.
August 24, 2004 1:15:54 PM

Damn! I went to order four today, and the price has gone up.
Oh well.........

!