Bypass CD-Key Reg. for Steam

Last response: in Video Games
February 12, 2005 10:11:23 AM

Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online; i'd
prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
Half-Life 2 Online without it?

Robert M

More about : bypass key reg steam

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:01:57 PM

So if its so "reduclous".. why did you bother to respond?
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:06:36 PM

Thank you for your help! :-) and yes that person is quite rude
(probably just trying to get attention). Is it possible to play LAN
games without the key? It would be fun to network 2 computers together
when i have friends over or somthing and we can have battles haha.. I
doubt theres a way somehow.. but is it possible?

Robert M
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:20:39 PM

Why would you respond then? .. oh.. even better.. why are you reading
this if its so "rediculus". If its so ridiculus, just pass by the
message.... stop tring to get attention..

Walter Mitty wrote:
> Cytrex wrote:
> > Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online;
i'd
> > prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
> > Half-Life 2 Online without it?
> >

> 1/10.
>
> It would have been quicker just to enter your cd key than ask this
> ridiculous question.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 8:27:19 PM

Cytrex wrote:
> Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online; i'd
> prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
> Half-Life 2 Online without it?

1/10.

It would have been quicker just to enter your cd key than ask this
ridiculous question.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 8:48:10 PM

On 12 Feb 2005 07:11:23 -0800, "Cytrex" <cytrex@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online; i'd
>prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
>Half-Life 2 Online without it?
>
>Robert M

Nope.

The CD-Key is required to open a unique on-line Steam account which
then initiates the decryption of the HL2 install-files. Once the
account is generated, the CD-key can then be thrown away; it can never
be used again to open another Steam account. In compliance with the
HL2 EULA, the game is also not legally transferrable to a third-party
without Valve approval requiring tangible verification of legal
ownership and further payment to Valve. ( Illegally avoiding such
approval, you must transfer the game-disks <and the whole account> to
the acquiring third-party ). You also cannot officially return the
game to a store for exchange (or refund, if allowed) once the CD-Key
has been used.

The illustrious Valve/Steam-worshipping Mr.Mitty does not want you
to know any of the above, hence his rude reply.

John Lewis
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 4:12:08 AM

Cytrex wrote:
> Thank you for your help! :-) and yes that person is quite rude
> (probably just trying to get attention). Is it possible to play LAN
> games without the key? It would be fun to network 2 computers together
> when i have friends over or somthing and we can have battles haha.. I
> doubt theres a way somehow.. but is it possible?

So, in so many words you want free copies? Sure : look for warez sites.
Lewis can even give you a link where you can download the game for free
and not worry about the developers who worked so hard to create the game.

As always : all to their own.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 1:46:00 PM

Cytrex wrote:
> Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online;

Why not?

> i'd
> prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
> Half-Life 2 Online without it?

If there was why would they bother giving you one? It's security so that
people can't pirate the game as easily.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 3:34:25 PM

Jamie_Manic wrote:
> Cytrex wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online;
>

> Why not?
>
>> i'd
>> prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
>> Half-Life 2 Online without it?
>

> If there was why would they bother giving you one? It's security so that
> people can't pirate the game as easily.

Cytrex gets very upset if you question his/her motives.

I suspect that he/she hasnt realised that you dont need to enter
personal data to register the legally purchased game.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 4:01:54 PM

On 12 Feb 2005, "Cytrex" wrote:

> Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online; i'd
> prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
> Half-Life 2 Online without it?

valve is selling hl2 with $team, and $team is the most intrusive spyware
monitor copy-protection program ever introduced in pc games
please next time you decide and buy a $team based game think about all
the many number of restrictions and limitations it makes you have
no matter what game it is, i will never put it on top of my own consumer
rights, so i said and will always say NO to $team

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

February 13, 2005 5:16:58 PM

"sayNO2steam" wrote

> i will never put it on top of my own consumer
> rights, so i said and will always say NO to $team

But *yes* to free download$?
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 12:17:58 AM

John Lewis wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 01:12:08 +0100, Walter Mitty
> <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Cytrex wrote:
> >> Thank you for your help! :-) and yes that person is quite rude
> >> (probably just trying to get attention). Is it possible to play
LAN
> >> games without the key? It would be fun to network 2 computers
together
> >> when i have friends over or somthing and we can have battles
haha.. I
> >> doubt theres a way somehow.. but is it possible?
> >

> >So, in so many words you want free copies? Sure : look for warez
sites.
> >Lewis can even give you a link where you can download the game for
free
> >and not worry about the developers who worked so hard to create the
game.

> Ah, yes the all-assuming pompous ass, Mr. Twitty....
>
> As it happens, I do not know a warez site for HL2 and have absolutely
> zero interest in finding one. ALL PC games in my possesion have been
> legally purchased. $$-preference for sale, discount (or pre-owned) of
> course. Wanna send the software-police to see my receipts ?
>
> I have absolutely zero interest in purchasing HL2 until:-
>
> (a) the umbilical to Steam is completely removed for the
> Single-player game. Must stand-alone install and play
> - no user-registration of any form required.
>
> AND
>
> (b) the price is less than $19.99.
>

> John Lewis
>

> >As always : all to their own.

I think you are completly right. I just want to play my game without
having to enter in my serial code. I have finished playing Half-Life 2;
it was a great game, just way overpriced. $20.00 would be a good price,
but I think its just rediculus that a game that doesnt even take up
physical form on our planet could cost that much money [But If we were
the creators I am sure we would do the same as them ;)  ] Since I have
finished Half-Life 2, I just want to play online now, hopefully someday
it can be bypassed.

Cytrex
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 1:06:45 AM

John Lewis wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 01:12:08 +0100, Walter Mitty
> <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Cytrex wrote:
> >> Thank you for your help! :-) and yes that person is quite rude
> >> (probably just trying to get attention). Is it possible to play
LAN
> >> games without the key? It would be fun to network 2 computers
together
> >> when i have friends over or somthing and we can have battles
haha.. I
> >> doubt theres a way somehow.. but is it possible?
> >

> >So, in so many words you want free copies? Sure : look for warez
sites.
> >Lewis can even give you a link where you can download the game for
free
> >and not worry about the developers who worked so hard to create the
game.

> Ah, yes the all-assuming pompous ass, Mr. Twitty....
>
> As it happens, I do not know a warez site for HL2 and have absolutely
> zero interest in finding one. ALL PC games in my possesion have been
> legally purchased. $$-preference for sale, discount (or pre-owned) of
> course. Wanna send the software-police to see my receipts ?
>
> I have absolutely zero interest in purchasing HL2 until:-
>
> (a) the umbilical to Steam is completely removed for the
> Single-player game. Must stand-alone install and play
> - no user-registration of any form required.
>
> AND
>
> (b) the price is less than $19.99.
>

> John Lewis
>

> >As always : all to their own.

I think you are completly right. I just want to play my game without
having to enter in my serial code. I have finished playing Half-Life 2;
it was a great game, just way overpriced. $20.00 would be a good price,
but I think its just rediculus that a game that doesnt even take up
physical form on our planet could cost that much money [But If we were
the creators I am sure we would do the same as them ;)  ] Since I have
finished Half-Life 2, I just want to play online now, hopefully someday
it can be bypassed.

Cytrex
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 1:50:37 AM

<mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Cytrex wrote:
>> Thank you for your help! :-) and yes that person is quite rude
>> (probably just trying to get attention). Is it possible to play LAN
>> games without the key? It would be fun to network 2 computers together
>> when i have friends over or somthing and we can have battles haha.. I
>> doubt theres a way somehow.. but is it possible?
>

>So, in so many words you want free copies? Sure : look for warez sites.
>Lewis can even give you a link where you can download the game for free
>and not worry about the developers who worked so hard to create the game.

Ah, yes the all-assuming pompous ass, Mr. Twitty....

As it happens, I do not know a warez site for HL2 and have absolutely
zero interest in finding one. ALL PC games in my possesion have been
legally purchased. $$-preference for sale, discount (or pre-owned) of
course. Wanna send the software-police to see my receipts ?

I have absolutely zero interest in purchasing HL2 until:-

(a) the umbilical to Steam is completely removed for the
Single-player game. Must stand-alone install and play
- no user-registration of any form required.

AND

(b) the price is less than $19.99.

John Lewis

>As always : all to their own.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 2:41:41 AM

"Cytrex" <cytrex@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online; i'd
>prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
>Half-Life 2 Online without it?

You'd have to download the pirated version, that's the only way I
know. If you're not comfortable doing that you have to do it through
Steam.

Joe
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 2:42:43 AM

"Cytrex" <cytrex@gmail.com> wrote:

>Thank you for your help! :-) and yes that person is quite rude
>(probably just trying to get attention). Is it possible to play LAN
>games without the key?

Again, with the pirated version, yes. Which I personally feel you are
perfectly entitled to download since you've bought the game.

Joe
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 2:46:29 AM

sayNO2steam wrote:
> so i said and will always say NO to $team

Good. That means you'll hate yourself when you miss out on Half-Life 3,
and I'll smile because of that. ;)
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 8:16:24 AM

"sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 12 Feb 2005, "Cytrex" wrote:
>
> > Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online; i'd
> > prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
> > Half-Life 2 Online without it?
>
> valve is selling hl2 with $team, and $team is the most intrusive spyware
> monitor copy-protection program ever introduced in pc games
> please next time you decide and buy a $team based game think about all
> the many number of restrictions and limitations it makes you have
> no matter what game it is, i will never put it on top of my own consumer
> rights, so i said and will always say NO to $team

When you claim that Steam is "spyware", what do you mean by this?
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 9:12:43 AM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:46:29 GMT, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>sayNO2steam wrote:
>> so i said and will always say NO to $team
>
>Good. That means you'll hate yourself when you miss out on Half-Life 3,
>and I'll smile because of that. ;)

If Valve is still around....

John Lewis
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 9:14:20 AM

"OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com> wrote in message

> "sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On 12 Feb 2005, "Cytrex" wrote:
>>
>> > Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online; i'd
>> > prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
>> > Half-Life 2 Online without it?
>>
>> valve is selling hl2 with $team, and $team is the most intrusive spyware
>> monitor copy-protection program ever introduced in pc games
>> please next time you decide and buy a $team based game think about all
>> the many number of restrictions and limitations it makes you have
>> no matter what game it is, i will never put it on top of my own consumer
>> rights, so i said and will always say NO to $team
>>

> When you claim that Steam is "spyware", what do you mean by this?

He quickly ran out of pseudo-intelligent things to say, so he's been posting
outright lies. Just killfile him like everybody else has; he's a nutcase.
Oh, and please don't respond to his future threads (as I have just done), he
feeds off it.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 11:42:16 AM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

> When you claim that Steam is "spyware", what do you mean by this?

steam is a "spy" working for valve in the shape of program running in
your own computer to monitor and control your gaming habits
you only play its games when steam lets you!
because steam monitors everything you do it will report anything they
find wrong to master valve and they will DELETE your account and you
will not be able to play any more!

--
steam is probably the dream every mother had for bad behaved children
but obviously its george orwell "1984" made reality for grown ups

"Cytrex" wrote

> I think you are completly right. I just want to play my game without
> having to enter in my serial code. I have finished playing Half-Life 2;
> it was a great game, just way overpriced. $20.00 would be a good price,

If you want Valve to go out of business. Yes.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 2:09:12 PM

"Jamie_Manic" <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote in message

> > Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online;
> Why not?

Lessee... maybe because he might want to sell his game and not pay Valve
$10? Or because he doesn't want to deal with the unnecessary pile that is
Steam?
February 14, 2005 6:22:32 PM

[difool morphs into "sayNO2steam" to slip out of killfile.]

Back in you go, asswipe.

*plonk*

stePH
--
If it cannot break the egg's shell, a chick will die without being born.
We are the chick. The world is our egg.

Vince wrote:
> "Cytrex" wrote
>

>>I think you are completly right. I just want to play my game without
>>having to enter in my serial code. I have finished playing Half-Life 2;
>>it was a great game, just way overpriced. $20.00 would be a good price,
>

> If you want Valve to go out of business. Yes.

I cant afford a Mercedes : so I settle for a Ford. I dont bitch about
Mercedes making a quality product and charging for it.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 7:30:27 PM

John Lewis wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:46:29 GMT, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
> wrote:
>

>>sayNO2steam wrote:
>>
>>>so i said and will always say NO to $team
>>
>>Good. That means you'll hate yourself when you miss out on Half-Life 3,
>>and I'll smile because of that. ;)
>

> If Valve is still around....

Probably not John since as we all know, and you pedicted, Hl2 is such
utter shite ans has bombed in the marketplace.

bwahahahaha.

What crazy world do you live in?
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 7:38:55 PM

OldDog wrote:

> When you claim that Steam is "spyware", what do you mean by this?

Didn't you hear that in the future Steam will automatically uninstall other
games and block all attempts to install new ones?
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 8:42:02 PM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:30:27 +0100, Walter Mitty
<mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:46:29 GMT, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
>> wrote:

>>>Good. That means you'll hate yourself when you miss out on Half-Life 3,
>>>and I'll smile because of that. ;)
>>

>> If Valve is still around....
>>

>Probably not John since as we all know, and you pedicted, Hl2 is such
>utter shite ans has bombed in the marketplace.

Seems as if you need the loan of a dictionary and/or a
spell-checker....

John Lewis

>bwahahahaha.
>
>What crazy world do you live in?
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 8:45:23 PM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:29:15 +0100, Walter Mitty
<mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Vince wrote:
>> "Cytrex" wrote
>>

>>>I think you are completly right. I just want to play my game without
>>>having to enter in my serial code. I have finished playing Half-Life 2;
>>>it was a great game, just way overpriced. $20.00 would be a good price,
>>

>> If you want Valve to go out of business. Yes.
>>

>I cant afford a Mercedes : so I settle for a Ford. I dont bitch about
>Mercedes making a quality product and charging for it.

You mean to say that Gabe is stingy with his retainer ? You need to
ask for a raise...maybe if you ask the right way, he'll pat your head
and loan you one of his Mercedes...

John Lewis
February 14, 2005 9:15:35 PM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:41:41 GMT, Joe62 <NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> wrote:

>"Cytrex" <cytrex@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online; i'd
>>prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
>>Half-Life 2 Online without it?
>
>You'd have to download the pirated version, that's the only way I
>know. If you're not comfortable doing that you have to do it through
>Steam.

The pirated version can't work with regular HL2 online servers.
--
Noman
Anonymous

Vince wrote:
> "Cytrex" wrote
>
> > I think you are completly right. I just want to play my game
without
> > having to enter in my serial code. I have finished playing
Half-Life 2;
> > it was a great game, just way overpriced. $20.00 would be a good
price,

> If you want Valve to go out of business. Yes.

Well, lower the price and more people would buy it instead of the
expensive one, so you will probably get more..
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 9:49:31 PM

Vince wrote:
> "sayNO2steam" wrote
>
> > i will never put it on top of my own consumer
> > rights, so i said and will always say NO to $team
>
> But *yes* to free download$?

I think they should have free downloads because if I scratched the CD
for some odd reason, how would I ever install Half-Life 2 again? All
games should have a download link, but of corse they would have to
increase security in the game. Have it like the Windows XP activation
where you have to phone in to renew your key again (actually I am not
sure if steam can do that, can someone tell me if i can?)

Robert M
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 1:14:19 AM

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
>
> > When you claim that Steam is "spyware", what do you mean by this?
>
> steam is a "spy" working for valve in the shape of program running in
> your own computer to monitor and control your gaming habits
> you only play its games when steam lets you!

I wouldn't define this as spyware.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/s/spyware.html

> because steam monitors everything you do it will report anything they
> find wrong to master valve and they will DELETE your account and you
> will not be able to play any more!

As to monitoring everything that I do, Steam knows if I:

1. illegally d/l music files?
2 llegally obtained movies?
3. obtained pirated games?
4. Steam knows if I visit porn sites, USAToday, ...

As to checking if you have a valid Steam account, I wouldn't call that
spyware either.

> --
> steam is probably the dream every mother had for bad behaved children
> but obviously its george orwell "1984" made reality for grown ups

I'm not sure about this. But I'll call my mom and ask.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 1:15:37 AM

"KCB" <kcbairdREMOVE@THIScomcast.net> wrote in message
<snip>

> > When you claim that Steam is "spyware", what do you mean by this?
> >

> He quickly ran out of pseudo-intelligent things to say, so he's been
posting
> outright lies. Just killfile him like everybody else has; he's a nutcase.
> Oh, and please don't respond to his future threads (as I have just done),
he
> feeds off it.

I think he's still got a few hidden away.
February 15, 2005 1:35:11 AM

"John Lewis" wrote

> Walter Mitty wrote:

>>Probably not John since as we all know, and you pedicted, Hl2 is such
>>utter shite ans has bombed in the marketplace.

> Seems as if you need the loan of a dictionary and/or a
> spell-checker....

And you need a grammar checker...
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 2:04:14 AM

noman wrote:

> The pirated version can't work with regular HL2 online servers.

That I like. I like knowing that the people I play against are the sort
who will buy at least some games. Good company (and often a lot more
mature.)
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 2:33:58 AM

Andrew wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2005 18:49:31 -0800, "Cytrex" <cytrex@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I think they should have free downloads because if I scratched the
CD
> >for some odd reason, how would I ever install Half-Life 2 again?
>
> Use the Steam backup utility.

Well I am not currently on my computer with Half-Life 2, but your
saying that there is a utility that will backup my serial? How exactly
does it work and where can I find it?
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 3:09:47 AM

ZZZYYno_m_anZZZYY@yahoo.com (noman) wrote:

>The pirated version can't work with regular HL2 online servers.

For a while there it was. That's a constant back-and-forth battle
between Valve and the pirates I'm sure. ;-)

Joe
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 6:02:50 AM

"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> OldDog wrote:
>
> > When you claim that Steam is "spyware", what do you mean by this?
>
> Didn't you hear that in the future Steam will automatically uninstall
other
> games and block all attempts to install new ones?

I was laughing a little over this, but then I remember reading in MaximumPC
magazine where the courts are handling a case over two software companies
(forgot their names). Seems that when you install Software X, it detects
and removes Software Z. Software Z took them to court. Software X
defends their action because it's clearly stated in the EULA that this will
happen if the user accepts the EULA.

If I can find my copy of the magazine, I'll try and find the two company
names.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 7:05:11 AM

John Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:30:27 +0100, Walter Mitty
> <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>John Lewis wrote:

>>>If Valve is still around....
>>>

>>Probably not John since as we all know, and you pedicted, Hl2 is such
>>utter shite ans has bombed in the marketplace.
>>

> Seems as if you need the loan of a dictionary and/or a
> spell-checker....

nah : sticky keyboard after some HL2 luvvin. Try it : it'll make you its
biatch.
February 15, 2005 10:01:25 AM

On 14 Feb 2005 18:49:31 -0800, "Cytrex" <cytrex@gmail.com> wrote:

>I think they should have free downloads because if I scratched the CD
>for some odd reason, how would I ever install Half-Life 2 again?

Use the Steam backup utility.
February 15, 2005 10:31:23 AM

"Cytrex" wrote
> Vince wrote:
>> "Cytrex" wrote

>> > I think you are completly right. I just want to play my game
> without
>> > having to enter in my serial code. I have finished playing
> Half-Life 2;
>> > it was a great game, just way overpriced. $20.00 would be a good
> price,

>> If you want Valve to go out of business. Yes.

> Well, lower the price and more people would buy it instead of the
> expensive one, so you will probably get more..

Hardly. Or else this is exactly what publishers would do.

They want to maximize profits don't they?
February 15, 2005 10:38:20 AM

On 14 Feb 2005 23:33:58 -0800, "Cytrex" <cytrex@gmail.com> wrote:

>Well I am not currently on my computer with Half-Life 2, but your
>saying that there is a utility that will backup my serial? How exactly
>does it work and where can I find it?

You can backup your game files so you don't need the CD.

The serial number is redundant the second you use it, all you need in
future is to log on with your Steam account.
February 15, 2005 1:03:15 PM

Vince wrote:
> "Cytrex" wrote
>
>>Vince wrote:
>>
>>>"Cytrex" wrote

>>without

>>Half-Life 2;

>>price,
>

>>>If you want Valve to go out of business. Yes.
>

>>Well, lower the price and more people would buy it instead of the
>>expensive one, so you will probably get more..
>

> Hardly. Or else this is exactly what publishers would do.
>
> They want to maximize profits don't they?

Maybe Cytrex has got on to something all the professional publishers
have missed? "Hey guys - lets *lower the price?", "Kewl".

Whats that IQ line again?
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 1:04:27 PM

Cytrex wrote:
> Vince wrote:
>
>>"sayNO2steam" wrote
>>

>>>i will never put it on top of my own consumer
>>>rights, so i said and will always say NO to $team
>>
>>But *yes* to free download$?
>

> I think they should have free downloads because if I scratched the CD
> for some odd reason, how would I ever install Half-Life 2 again? All
> games should have a download link, but of corse they would have to
> increase security in the game. Have it like the Windows XP activation
> where you have to phone in to renew your key again (actually I am not
> sure if steam can do that, can someone tell me if i can?)
>
> Robert M

You never have to renew anything. The game is always available for
*free* download after you have registered your cd key ONCE. Whats so
hard to understand?

--
Walter Mitty
-

GFree left a note on my windscreen which said:

> > The pirated version can't work with regular HL2 online servers.
>
> That I like. I like knowing that the people I play against are the sort
> who will buy at least some games. Good company (and often a lot more
> mature.)

Much the same as every other online game then?

--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 6:04:31 PM

Cytrex left a note on my windscreen which said:

> > > I think you are completly right. I just want to play my game
> without
> > > having to enter in my serial code. I have finished playing
> Half-Life 2;
> > > it was a great game, just way overpriced. $20.00 would be a good
> price,
> >
> > If you want Valve to go out of business. Yes.
>
> Well, lower the price and more people would buy it instead of the
> expensive one, so you will probably get more..

Why don't they sell it for £1 or $1 then?
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 6:05:42 PM

Cytrex left a note on my windscreen which said:

> Well I am not currently on my computer with Half-Life 2, but your
> saying that there is a utility that will backup my serial? How exactly
> does it work and where can I find it?

Your serial is logged with your account.

AFAIK when you log on to any other PC you can d/l Steam put in your
account details and download any of the games you legitimatly purchased.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 7:06:21 PM

"Joe62" <NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> >The pirated version can't work with regular HL2 online servers.
> For a while there it was. That's a constant back-and-forth battle
> between Valve and the pirates I'm sure. ;-)

Indeed, you could even create a Steam account and play online, apparently. I
was laughing my ass off.

I'm sure you still can depending on how much effort you want to put into it.
;)
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:11:15 AM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:04:31 -0000, Stoneskin <no@thanks.com> wrote:

>Why don't they sell it for £1 or $1 then?

Or they could give it out for free, then make their money off the
massive volume. It worked for the dot-coms, right? :p
!