Bypass CD-Key Reg. for Steam

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online; i'd
prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
Half-Life 2 Online without it?

Robert M
51 answers Last reply
More about bypass steam
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    So if its so "reduclous".. why did you bother to respond?
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thank you for your help! :-) and yes that person is quite rude
    (probably just trying to get attention). Is it possible to play LAN
    games without the key? It would be fun to network 2 computers together
    when i have friends over or somthing and we can have battles haha.. I
    doubt theres a way somehow.. but is it possible?

    Robert M
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Why would you respond then? .. oh.. even better.. why are you reading
    this if its so "rediculus". If its so ridiculus, just pass by the
    message.... stop tring to get attention..

    Walter Mitty wrote:
    > Cytrex wrote:
    > > Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online;
    i'd
    > > prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
    > > Half-Life 2 Online without it?
    > >
    >
    > 1/10.
    >
    > It would have been quicker just to enter your cd key than ask this
    > ridiculous question.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Cytrex wrote:
    > Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online; i'd
    > prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
    > Half-Life 2 Online without it?
    >

    1/10.

    It would have been quicker just to enter your cd key than ask this
    ridiculous question.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 12 Feb 2005 07:11:23 -0800, "Cytrex" <cytrex@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online; i'd
    >prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
    >Half-Life 2 Online without it?
    >
    >Robert M
    >

    Nope.

    The CD-Key is required to open a unique on-line Steam account which
    then initiates the decryption of the HL2 install-files. Once the
    account is generated, the CD-key can then be thrown away; it can never
    be used again to open another Steam account. In compliance with the
    HL2 EULA, the game is also not legally transferrable to a third-party
    without Valve approval requiring tangible verification of legal
    ownership and further payment to Valve. ( Illegally avoiding such
    approval, you must transfer the game-disks <and the whole account> to
    the acquiring third-party ). You also cannot officially return the
    game to a store for exchange (or refund, if allowed) once the CD-Key
    has been used.

    The illustrious Valve/Steam-worshipping Mr.Mitty does not want you
    to know any of the above, hence his rude reply.

    John Lewis
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Cytrex wrote:
    > Thank you for your help! :-) and yes that person is quite rude
    > (probably just trying to get attention). Is it possible to play LAN
    > games without the key? It would be fun to network 2 computers together
    > when i have friends over or somthing and we can have battles haha.. I
    > doubt theres a way somehow.. but is it possible?


    So, in so many words you want free copies? Sure : look for warez sites.
    Lewis can even give you a link where you can download the game for free
    and not worry about the developers who worked so hard to create the game.

    As always : all to their own.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Cytrex wrote:
    > Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online;

    Why not?

    > i'd
    > prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
    > Half-Life 2 Online without it?

    If there was why would they bother giving you one? It's security so that
    people can't pirate the game as easily.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Jamie_Manic wrote:
    > Cytrex wrote:
    >
    >> Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online;
    >
    >
    > Why not?
    >
    >> i'd
    >> prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
    >> Half-Life 2 Online without it?
    >
    >
    > If there was why would they bother giving you one? It's security so that
    > people can't pirate the game as easily.

    Cytrex gets very upset if you question his/her motives.

    I suspect that he/she hasnt realised that you dont need to enter
    personal data to register the legally purchased game.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 12 Feb 2005, "Cytrex" wrote:

    > Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online; i'd
    > prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
    > Half-Life 2 Online without it?

    valve is selling hl2 with $team, and $team is the most intrusive spyware
    monitor copy-protection program ever introduced in pc games
    please next time you decide and buy a $team based game think about all
    the many number of restrictions and limitations it makes you have
    no matter what game it is, i will never put it on top of my own consumer
    rights, so i said and will always say NO to $team

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    against steam campaign
    http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

    steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
    http://www.steamwatch.org/

    please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "sayNO2steam" wrote

    > i will never put it on top of my own consumer
    > rights, so i said and will always say NO to $team

    But *yes* to free download$?
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    John Lewis wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 01:12:08 +0100, Walter Mitty
    > <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > >Cytrex wrote:
    > >> Thank you for your help! :-) and yes that person is quite rude
    > >> (probably just trying to get attention). Is it possible to play
    LAN
    > >> games without the key? It would be fun to network 2 computers
    together
    > >> when i have friends over or somthing and we can have battles
    haha.. I
    > >> doubt theres a way somehow.. but is it possible?
    > >
    > >
    > >So, in so many words you want free copies? Sure : look for warez
    sites.
    > >Lewis can even give you a link where you can download the game for
    free
    > >and not worry about the developers who worked so hard to create the
    game.
    > >
    >
    > Ah, yes the all-assuming pompous ass, Mr. Twitty....
    >
    > As it happens, I do not know a warez site for HL2 and have absolutely
    > zero interest in finding one. ALL PC games in my possesion have been
    > legally purchased. $$-preference for sale, discount (or pre-owned) of
    > course. Wanna send the software-police to see my receipts ?
    >
    > I have absolutely zero interest in purchasing HL2 until:-
    >
    > (a) the umbilical to Steam is completely removed for the
    > Single-player game. Must stand-alone install and play
    > - no user-registration of any form required.
    >
    > AND
    >
    > (b) the price is less than $19.99.
    >
    >
    > John Lewis
    >
    >
    > >As always : all to their own.

    I think you are completly right. I just want to play my game without
    having to enter in my serial code. I have finished playing Half-Life 2;
    it was a great game, just way overpriced. $20.00 would be a good price,
    but I think its just rediculus that a game that doesnt even take up
    physical form on our planet could cost that much money [But If we were
    the creators I am sure we would do the same as them ;) ] Since I have
    finished Half-Life 2, I just want to play online now, hopefully someday
    it can be bypassed.

    Cytrex
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    John Lewis wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 01:12:08 +0100, Walter Mitty
    > <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > >Cytrex wrote:
    > >> Thank you for your help! :-) and yes that person is quite rude
    > >> (probably just trying to get attention). Is it possible to play
    LAN
    > >> games without the key? It would be fun to network 2 computers
    together
    > >> when i have friends over or somthing and we can have battles
    haha.. I
    > >> doubt theres a way somehow.. but is it possible?
    > >
    > >
    > >So, in so many words you want free copies? Sure : look for warez
    sites.
    > >Lewis can even give you a link where you can download the game for
    free
    > >and not worry about the developers who worked so hard to create the
    game.
    > >
    >
    > Ah, yes the all-assuming pompous ass, Mr. Twitty....
    >
    > As it happens, I do not know a warez site for HL2 and have absolutely
    > zero interest in finding one. ALL PC games in my possesion have been
    > legally purchased. $$-preference for sale, discount (or pre-owned) of
    > course. Wanna send the software-police to see my receipts ?
    >
    > I have absolutely zero interest in purchasing HL2 until:-
    >
    > (a) the umbilical to Steam is completely removed for the
    > Single-player game. Must stand-alone install and play
    > - no user-registration of any form required.
    >
    > AND
    >
    > (b) the price is less than $19.99.
    >
    >
    > John Lewis
    >
    >
    > >As always : all to their own.

    I think you are completly right. I just want to play my game without
    having to enter in my serial code. I have finished playing Half-Life 2;
    it was a great game, just way overpriced. $20.00 would be a good price,
    but I think its just rediculus that a game that doesnt even take up
    physical form on our planet could cost that much money [But If we were
    the creators I am sure we would do the same as them ;) ] Since I have
    finished Half-Life 2, I just want to play online now, hopefully someday
    it can be bypassed.

    Cytrex
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 01:12:08 +0100, Walter Mitty
    <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Cytrex wrote:
    >> Thank you for your help! :-) and yes that person is quite rude
    >> (probably just trying to get attention). Is it possible to play LAN
    >> games without the key? It would be fun to network 2 computers together
    >> when i have friends over or somthing and we can have battles haha.. I
    >> doubt theres a way somehow.. but is it possible?
    >
    >
    >So, in so many words you want free copies? Sure : look for warez sites.
    >Lewis can even give you a link where you can download the game for free
    >and not worry about the developers who worked so hard to create the game.
    >

    Ah, yes the all-assuming pompous ass, Mr. Twitty....

    As it happens, I do not know a warez site for HL2 and have absolutely
    zero interest in finding one. ALL PC games in my possesion have been
    legally purchased. $$-preference for sale, discount (or pre-owned) of
    course. Wanna send the software-police to see my receipts ?

    I have absolutely zero interest in purchasing HL2 until:-

    (a) the umbilical to Steam is completely removed for the
    Single-player game. Must stand-alone install and play
    - no user-registration of any form required.

    AND

    (b) the price is less than $19.99.


    John Lewis


    >As always : all to their own.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Cytrex" <cytrex@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online; i'd
    >prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
    >Half-Life 2 Online without it?

    You'd have to download the pirated version, that's the only way I
    know. If you're not comfortable doing that you have to do it through
    Steam.

    Joe
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Cytrex" <cytrex@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Thank you for your help! :-) and yes that person is quite rude
    >(probably just trying to get attention). Is it possible to play LAN
    >games without the key?

    Again, with the pirated version, yes. Which I personally feel you are
    perfectly entitled to download since you've bought the game.

    Joe
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    sayNO2steam wrote:
    > so i said and will always say NO to $team

    Good. That means you'll hate yourself when you miss out on Half-Life 3,
    and I'll smile because of that. ;)
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:0dju015ig5a4979nbld8co6bkl4obvbetg@4ax.com...
    > On 12 Feb 2005, "Cytrex" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online; i'd
    > > prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
    > > Half-Life 2 Online without it?
    >
    > valve is selling hl2 with $team, and $team is the most intrusive spyware
    > monitor copy-protection program ever introduced in pc games
    > please next time you decide and buy a $team based game think about all
    > the many number of restrictions and limitations it makes you have
    > no matter what game it is, i will never put it on top of my own consumer
    > rights, so i said and will always say NO to $team
    >
    >

    When you claim that Steam is "spyware", what do you mean by this?
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:46:29 GMT, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
    wrote:

    >sayNO2steam wrote:
    >> so i said and will always say NO to $team
    >
    >Good. That means you'll hate yourself when you miss out on Half-Life 3,
    >and I'll smile because of that. ;)

    If Valve is still around....

    John Lewis
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com> wrote in message
    news:IuWPd.51777$uL5.29648@fe2.texas.rr.com...
    >
    > "sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > news:0dju015ig5a4979nbld8co6bkl4obvbetg@4ax.com...
    >> On 12 Feb 2005, "Cytrex" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online; i'd
    >> > prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
    >> > Half-Life 2 Online without it?
    >>
    >> valve is selling hl2 with $team, and $team is the most intrusive spyware
    >> monitor copy-protection program ever introduced in pc games
    >> please next time you decide and buy a $team based game think about all
    >> the many number of restrictions and limitations it makes you have
    >> no matter what game it is, i will never put it on top of my own consumer
    >> rights, so i said and will always say NO to $team
    >>
    >>
    >
    > When you claim that Steam is "spyware", what do you mean by this?
    >

    He quickly ran out of pseudo-intelligent things to say, so he's been posting
    outright lies. Just killfile him like everybody else has; he's a nutcase.
    Oh, and please don't respond to his future threads (as I have just done), he
    feeds off it.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

    > When you claim that Steam is "spyware", what do you mean by this?

    steam is a "spy" working for valve in the shape of program running in
    your own computer to monitor and control your gaming habits
    you only play its games when steam lets you!
    because steam monitors everything you do it will report anything they
    find wrong to master valve and they will DELETE your account and you
    will not be able to play any more!

    --
    steam is probably the dream every mother had for bad behaved children
    but obviously its george orwell "1984" made reality for grown ups
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Cytrex" wrote

    > I think you are completly right. I just want to play my game without
    > having to enter in my serial code. I have finished playing Half-Life 2;
    > it was a great game, just way overpriced. $20.00 would be a good price,

    If you want Valve to go out of business. Yes.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Jamie_Manic" <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote in message
    news:420f2fe3$0$16586$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...

    > > Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online;
    > Why not?

    Lessee... maybe because he might want to sell his game and not pay Valve
    $10? Or because he doesn't want to deal with the unnecessary pile that is
    Steam?
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    [difool morphs into "sayNO2steam" to slip out of killfile.]

    Back in you go, asswipe.

    *plonk*


    stePH
    --
    If it cannot break the egg's shell, a chick will die without being born.
    We are the chick. The world is our egg.
    If we cannot break the world's shell, we will die without being born.
    Smash the world's shell! For the revolution of the world!
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Vince wrote:
    > "Cytrex" wrote
    >
    >
    >>I think you are completly right. I just want to play my game without
    >>having to enter in my serial code. I have finished playing Half-Life 2;
    >>it was a great game, just way overpriced. $20.00 would be a good price,
    >
    >
    > If you want Valve to go out of business. Yes.
    >
    >

    I cant afford a Mercedes : so I settle for a Ford. I dont bitch about
    Mercedes making a quality product and charging for it.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    John Lewis wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:46:29 GMT, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>sayNO2steam wrote:
    >>
    >>>so i said and will always say NO to $team
    >>
    >>Good. That means you'll hate yourself when you miss out on Half-Life 3,
    >>and I'll smile because of that. ;)
    >
    >
    > If Valve is still around....
    >

    Probably not John since as we all know, and you pedicted, Hl2 is such
    utter shite ans has bombed in the marketplace.

    bwahahahaha.

    What crazy world do you live in?
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    OldDog wrote:

    > When you claim that Steam is "spyware", what do you mean by this?

    Didn't you hear that in the future Steam will automatically uninstall other
    games and block all attempts to install new ones?
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:30:27 +0100, Walter Mitty
    <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >John Lewis wrote:
    >> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:46:29 GMT, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>sayNO2steam wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>so i said and will always say NO to $team
    >>>
    >>>Good. That means you'll hate yourself when you miss out on Half-Life 3,
    >>>and I'll smile because of that. ;)
    >>
    >>
    >> If Valve is still around....
    >>
    >
    >Probably not John since as we all know, and you pedicted, Hl2 is such
    >utter shite ans has bombed in the marketplace.
    >

    Seems as if you need the loan of a dictionary and/or a
    spell-checker....

    John Lewis

    >bwahahahaha.
    >
    >What crazy world do you live in?
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:29:15 +0100, Walter Mitty
    <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Vince wrote:
    >> "Cytrex" wrote
    >>
    >>
    >>>I think you are completly right. I just want to play my game without
    >>>having to enter in my serial code. I have finished playing Half-Life 2;
    >>>it was a great game, just way overpriced. $20.00 would be a good price,
    >>
    >>
    >> If you want Valve to go out of business. Yes.
    >>
    >>
    >
    >I cant afford a Mercedes : so I settle for a Ford. I dont bitch about
    >Mercedes making a quality product and charging for it.


    You mean to say that Gabe is stingy with his retainer ? You need to
    ask for a raise...maybe if you ask the right way, he'll pat your head
    and loan you one of his Mercedes...

    John Lewis
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:41:41 GMT, Joe62 <NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> wrote:

    >"Cytrex" <cytrex@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello Everyone. I don't really want to enter in my cd-key online; i'd
    >>prefer to just play. Is there any way I can bypass this and play
    >>Half-Life 2 Online without it?
    >
    >You'd have to download the pirated version, that's the only way I
    >know. If you're not comfortable doing that you have to do it through
    >Steam.

    The pirated version can't work with regular HL2 online servers.
    --
    Noman
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Vince wrote:
    > "Cytrex" wrote
    >
    > > I think you are completly right. I just want to play my game
    without
    > > having to enter in my serial code. I have finished playing
    Half-Life 2;
    > > it was a great game, just way overpriced. $20.00 would be a good
    price,
    >
    > If you want Valve to go out of business. Yes.

    Well, lower the price and more people would buy it instead of the
    expensive one, so you will probably get more..
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Vince wrote:
    > "sayNO2steam" wrote
    >
    > > i will never put it on top of my own consumer
    > > rights, so i said and will always say NO to $team
    >
    > But *yes* to free download$?

    I think they should have free downloads because if I scratched the CD
    for some odd reason, how would I ever install Half-Life 2 again? All
    games should have a download link, but of corse they would have to
    increase security in the game. Have it like the Windows XP activation
    where you have to phone in to renew your key again (actually I am not
    sure if steam can do that, can someone tell me if i can?)

    Robert M
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:42p011p9kcb49d6lgr3djgt76m1lcl1ap2@4ax.com...
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
    >
    > > When you claim that Steam is "spyware", what do you mean by this?
    >
    > steam is a "spy" working for valve in the shape of program running in
    > your own computer to monitor and control your gaming habits
    > you only play its games when steam lets you!

    I wouldn't define this as spyware.
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/s/spyware.html

    > because steam monitors everything you do it will report anything they
    > find wrong to master valve and they will DELETE your account and you
    > will not be able to play any more!
    >

    As to monitoring everything that I do, Steam knows if I:

    1. illegally d/l music files?
    2 llegally obtained movies?
    3. obtained pirated games?
    4. Steam knows if I visit porn sites, USAToday, ...

    As to checking if you have a valid Steam account, I wouldn't call that
    spyware either.

    > --
    > steam is probably the dream every mother had for bad behaved children
    > but obviously its george orwell "1984" made reality for grown ups

    I'm not sure about this. But I'll call my mom and ask.
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "KCB" <kcbairdREMOVE@THIScomcast.net> wrote in message
    news:KumdnQWhDuWVFY3fRVn-hQ@comcast.com...
    <snip>
    > >>
    > >
    > > When you claim that Steam is "spyware", what do you mean by this?
    > >
    >
    > He quickly ran out of pseudo-intelligent things to say, so he's been
    posting
    > outright lies. Just killfile him like everybody else has; he's a nutcase.
    > Oh, and please don't respond to his future threads (as I have just done),
    he
    > feeds off it.
    >
    >

    I think he's still got a few hidden away.
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "John Lewis" wrote

    > Walter Mitty wrote:

    >>Probably not John since as we all know, and you pedicted, Hl2 is such
    >>utter shite ans has bombed in the marketplace.

    > Seems as if you need the loan of a dictionary and/or a
    > spell-checker....

    And you need a grammar checker...
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    noman wrote:
    >
    > The pirated version can't work with regular HL2 online servers.

    That I like. I like knowing that the people I play against are the sort
    who will buy at least some games. Good company (and often a lot more
    mature.)
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Andrew wrote:
    > On 14 Feb 2005 18:49:31 -0800, "Cytrex" <cytrex@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I think they should have free downloads because if I scratched the
    CD
    > >for some odd reason, how would I ever install Half-Life 2 again?
    >
    > Use the Steam backup utility.
    > --
    > Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
    > Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
    > please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
    > Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.

    Well I am not currently on my computer with Half-Life 2, but your
    saying that there is a utility that will backup my serial? How exactly
    does it work and where can I find it?
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    ZZZYYno_m_anZZZYY@yahoo.com (noman) wrote:

    >The pirated version can't work with regular HL2 online servers.

    For a while there it was. That's a constant back-and-forth battle
    between Valve and the pirates I'm sure. ;-)

    Joe
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:RumdndCptMR-pYzfRVn-ow@giganews.com...
    > OldDog wrote:
    >
    > > When you claim that Steam is "spyware", what do you mean by this?
    >
    > Didn't you hear that in the future Steam will automatically uninstall
    other
    > games and block all attempts to install new ones?
    >
    >

    I was laughing a little over this, but then I remember reading in MaximumPC
    magazine where the courts are handling a case over two software companies
    (forgot their names). Seems that when you install Software X, it detects
    and removes Software Z. Software Z took them to court. Software X
    defends their action because it's clearly stated in the EULA that this will
    happen if the user accepts the EULA.

    If I can find my copy of the magazine, I'll try and find the two company
    names.
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    John Lewis wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:30:27 +0100, Walter Mitty
    > <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>John Lewis wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:46:29 GMT, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
    >>>wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>sayNO2steam wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>so i said and will always say NO to $team
    >>>>
    >>>>Good. That means you'll hate yourself when you miss out on Half-Life 3,
    >>>>and I'll smile because of that. ;)
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>If Valve is still around....
    >>>
    >>
    >>Probably not John since as we all know, and you pedicted, Hl2 is such
    >>utter shite ans has bombed in the marketplace.
    >>
    >
    >
    > Seems as if you need the loan of a dictionary and/or a
    > spell-checker....
    >

    nah : sticky keyboard after some HL2 luvvin. Try it : it'll make you its
    biatch.
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 14 Feb 2005 18:49:31 -0800, "Cytrex" <cytrex@gmail.com> wrote:

    >I think they should have free downloads because if I scratched the CD
    >for some odd reason, how would I ever install Half-Life 2 again?

    Use the Steam backup utility.
    --
    Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
    Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
    please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
    Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Cytrex" wrote
    > Vince wrote:
    >> "Cytrex" wrote

    >> > I think you are completly right. I just want to play my game
    > without
    >> > having to enter in my serial code. I have finished playing
    > Half-Life 2;
    >> > it was a great game, just way overpriced. $20.00 would be a good
    > price,

    >> If you want Valve to go out of business. Yes.

    > Well, lower the price and more people would buy it instead of the
    > expensive one, so you will probably get more..

    Hardly. Or else this is exactly what publishers would do.

    They want to maximize profits don't they?
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 14 Feb 2005 23:33:58 -0800, "Cytrex" <cytrex@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Well I am not currently on my computer with Half-Life 2, but your
    >saying that there is a utility that will backup my serial? How exactly
    >does it work and where can I find it?

    You can backup your game files so you don't need the CD.

    The serial number is redundant the second you use it, all you need in
    future is to log on with your Steam account.
    --
    Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
    Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
    please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
    Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Vince wrote:
    > "Cytrex" wrote
    >
    >>Vince wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Cytrex" wrote
    >
    >
    >>>>I think you are completly right. I just want to play my game
    >>
    >>without
    >>
    >>>>having to enter in my serial code. I have finished playing
    >>
    >>Half-Life 2;
    >>
    >>>>it was a great game, just way overpriced. $20.00 would be a good
    >>
    >>price,
    >
    >
    >>>If you want Valve to go out of business. Yes.
    >
    >
    >>Well, lower the price and more people would buy it instead of the
    >>expensive one, so you will probably get more..
    >
    >
    > Hardly. Or else this is exactly what publishers would do.
    >
    > They want to maximize profits don't they?
    >

    Maybe Cytrex has got on to something all the professional publishers
    have missed? "Hey guys - lets *lower the price?", "Kewl".

    Whats that IQ line again?
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Cytrex wrote:
    > Vince wrote:
    >
    >>"sayNO2steam" wrote
    >>
    >>
    >>>i will never put it on top of my own consumer
    >>>rights, so i said and will always say NO to $team
    >>
    >>But *yes* to free download$?
    >
    >
    > I think they should have free downloads because if I scratched the CD
    > for some odd reason, how would I ever install Half-Life 2 again? All
    > games should have a download link, but of corse they would have to
    > increase security in the game. Have it like the Windows XP activation
    > where you have to phone in to renew your key again (actually I am not
    > sure if steam can do that, can someone tell me if i can?)
    >
    > Robert M
    >

    You never have to renew anything. The game is always available for
    *free* download after you have registered your cd key ONCE. Whats so
    hard to understand?

    --
    Walter Mitty
    -
    Useless, waste of money research of the day : http://tinyurl.com/3tdeu
    " Format wars could 'confuse users'"
    http://www.tinyurl.com
  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    GFree left a note on my windscreen which said:

    > > The pirated version can't work with regular HL2 online servers.
    >
    > That I like. I like knowing that the people I play against are the sort
    > who will buy at least some games. Good company (and often a lot more
    > mature.)

    Much the same as every other online game then?

    --
    Stoneskin

    [Insert sig text here]
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Cytrex left a note on my windscreen which said:

    > > > I think you are completly right. I just want to play my game
    > without
    > > > having to enter in my serial code. I have finished playing
    > Half-Life 2;
    > > > it was a great game, just way overpriced. $20.00 would be a good
    > price,
    > >
    > > If you want Valve to go out of business. Yes.
    >
    > Well, lower the price and more people would buy it instead of the
    > expensive one, so you will probably get more..

    Why don't they sell it for £1 or $1 then?
    --
    Stoneskin

    [Insert sig text here]
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Cytrex left a note on my windscreen which said:

    > Well I am not currently on my computer with Half-Life 2, but your
    > saying that there is a utility that will backup my serial? How exactly
    > does it work and where can I find it?

    Your serial is logged with your account.

    AFAIK when you log on to any other PC you can d/l Steam put in your
    account details and download any of the games you legitimatly purchased.
    --
    Stoneskin

    [Insert sig text here]
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Joe62" <NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    news:jvf211ddvu535ri7vg774btrf614ut1jd3@4ax.com...
    > >The pirated version can't work with regular HL2 online servers.
    > For a while there it was. That's a constant back-and-forth battle
    > between Valve and the pirates I'm sure. ;-)

    Indeed, you could even create a Steam account and play online, apparently. I
    was laughing my ass off.

    I'm sure you still can depending on how much effort you want to put into it.
    ;)
  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:04:31 -0000, Stoneskin <no@thanks.com> wrote:

    >Why don't they sell it for £1 or $1 then?

    Or they could give it out for free, then make their money off the
    massive volume. It worked for the dot-coms, right? :P
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming CD-Rom Steam Video Games Product