Fry's now flogging the HL2 Collector's Edition for $49.99...

Last response: in Video Games
February 12, 2005 8:28:22 PM

..... thru Tuesday February 15. See Saturday Ad.

For those who believe that download from $$misers like Valve is the
way to go... I have a message. Should download ever become the only
purchase path for Single-player PC games and the developer/distributor
try to keep the price high for many months (regardless of waning
popularity)... I guarantee that piracy of such games will become
rampant. The inability to readily trade, transfer or re-sell a
Single-player game with Steam-style authentication will give
additional impetus to piracy.

Anyway, it seems as if Fry's are dumping their HL2 Collector's
Editions. The HL2 Collector's Edition has gained some reputation of
having the worst value-for-price in a Collector's Edition of any
recent PC game. Too bad it came out at the same time as the WoW
collector's edition - the quality comparison was unfortunate.... for
Valve. Since VU distributes both games, the source of the quality
difference is obvious - the decisions by the respective developers
as to what to include.

John Lewis
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 8:28:23 PM

John Lewis wrote:

> .... thru Tuesday February 15. See Saturday Ad.

Ha ha, you're acting like difool.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 8:28:23 PM

Walter Mitty wrote:
> John Lewis wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, it seems as if Fry's are dumping their HL2 Collector's
> > Editions. The HL2 Collector's Edition has gained some reputation of
> > having the worst value-for-price in a Collector's Edition of any
> > recent PC game. Too bad it came out at the same time as the WoW
> > collector's edition - the quality comparison was unfortunate....
for
> > Valve.
>
> It must really irk you that HL2 has gathered so many awards and has
sold
> millions of copies to gamers who enjoy good quality, top notch games.
>
> And yet you touted that flop Vampire. So much for your judgement.

Hehe, go Mitty!!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 9:58:49 PM

<flightlessvacuum@lycos.com> wrote in message news:1108253860.248606.130840@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

> Walter Mitty wrote:
>> John Lewis wrote:
>> >
>> > Anyway, it seems as if Fry's are dumping their HL2 Collector's
>> > Editions. The HL2 Collector's Edition has gained some reputation of
>> > having the worst value-for-price in a Collector's Edition of any
>> > recent PC game. Too bad it came out at the same time as the WoW
>> > collector's edition - the quality comparison was unfortunate....
> for
>> > Valve.
>>
>> It must really irk you that HL2 has gathered so many awards and has
> sold
>> millions of copies to gamers who enjoy good quality, top notch games.
>>
>> And yet you touted that flop Vampire. So much for your judgement.
>
> Hehe, go Mitty!!

"Tee-hee, tee-hee-hee. You go Mitty. Don't forget the reach-around."
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 4:09:11 AM

John Lewis wrote:

> Anyway, it seems as if Fry's are dumping their HL2 Collector's
> Editions. The HL2 Collector's Edition has gained some reputation of
> having the worst value-for-price in a Collector's Edition of any
> recent PC game. Too bad it came out at the same time as the WoW
> collector's edition - the quality comparison was unfortunate.... for
> Valve.

It must really irk you that HL2 has gathered so many awards and has sold
millions of copies to gamers who enjoy good quality, top notch games.

And yet you touted that flop Vampire. So much for your judgement.
February 13, 2005 5:21:46 PM

"Einstine" wrote

> "Tee-hee, tee-hee-hee. You go Mitty. Don't forget the reach-around."

Is that a type of toothbrush?
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 5:21:47 PM

"Vince" <vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:_nJPd.88759$B8.34667@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> "Einstine" wrote
>
>> "Tee-hee, tee-hee-hee. You go Mitty. Don't forget the reach-around."
>
> Is that a type of toothbrush?

I guess it depends on where Walter aims it. You would have to ask Flightlessvacuum.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 1:11:04 AM

Einstine wrote:
> "Vince" <vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > "Einstine" wrote
> >
> >> "Tee-hee, tee-hee-hee. You go Mitty. Don't forget the
reach-around."

> > Is that a type of toothbrush?
>
> I guess it depends on where Walter aims it. You would have to ask
Flightlessvacuum.

February 14, 2005 2:18:24 AM

<flightlessvacuum@lycos.com> wrote in message news:1108361464.050697.274470@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

> Einstine wrote:
>> "Vince" <vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > "Einstine" wrote

> reach-around."
>> >
>> > Is that a type of toothbrush?
>>
>> I guess it depends on where Walter aims it. You would have to ask
> Flightlessvacuum.

Looks like he is speechless. Nice aim Walter.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 12:20:23 PM

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005, "Hank the Rapper" wrote:

you really don't get John Lewis...
he tries its best but gamers like you will never understand what
he has been trying to proof since the beginning, which is:
the retail channel is the best one for us gamers when it comes
to price!
anything that will make pc games out of the retail channel will
damage us gamers cause we will end up paying more!
don't you get it by now!!!! you end pc games being sold in the
retail market and you will pay more for games!!!!
there can only be a reason for you not wanting to admit and its
you and others don't really care about price and don't mind
having to give 50 or even 60 dollars for a game
you and others don't care about how much you pay for your games
mr hank, but John Lewis and me and the majority does! ok!
the majority of pc gamers are very price sensitive!
so at least try and respect the majority of us gamers who care
about how pc games cost! and we know the retail channel is the
best when it comes to price!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

February 14, 2005 4:48:28 PM

sayNO2steam wrote:

> you really don't get John Lewis...

Yes I do, he's like you, only literate.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 5:18:27 PM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, Walter Mitty wrote:

> It must really irk you that HL2 has gathered so many awards and has sold
> millions of copies to gamers who enjoy good quality, top notch games.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Can you please offer us some concrete numbers here? I could never find
any, contrary to the record sale numbers stated for Doom 3 and Halo 2.

> And yet you touted that flop Vampire. So much for your judgement.

Vampire may flop on the sales side, because it wasn't hyped like HL2 and
unfortunately is quite buggy, but gameplay wise it beats HL2 hands down!

If you haven't tried it, you should not make any comments about it. After
all the posts here about SS2 and DX, I do wonder why no one notices VTMB.

February 14, 2005 7:28:07 PM

Werner Spahl wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, Walter Mitty wrote:
>

>>It must really irk you that HL2 has gathered so many awards and has sold
>>millions of copies to gamers who enjoy good quality, top notch games.
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Can you please offer us some concrete numbers here? I could never find
> any, contrary to the record sale numbers stated for Doom 3 and Halo 2.

The sales numbers of retail units sold were released by someone recently.

>>And yet you touted that flop Vampire. So much for your judgement.
>

> Vampire may flop on the sales side, because it wasn't hyped like HL2 and
> unfortunately is quite buggy, but gameplay wise it beats HL2 hands down!

In your opinion. Not in the opinion of the majority. Example of "hype"?
Hl2 has swept the awards : how can it have been "hype"?
February 14, 2005 8:09:27 PM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:18:27 +0100, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, Walter Mitty wrote:
>
>> It must really irk you that HL2 has gathered so many awards and has sold
>> millions of copies to gamers who enjoy good quality, top notch games.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Can you please offer us some concrete numbers here? I could never find
>any, contrary to the record sale numbers stated for Doom 3 and Halo 2.

1.7 million retail copies in two months (up to January 15th). Since
that press release by Vivendi, NPD have released two weekly sales
lists and HL2 continues to stay at #1, ahead of even Sims2.
Considering its $55 MSRP, it's selling phenomenally well.

Search for 'Vivendi 1.7 Half-Life2'. You should be able to find the
press release.
--
Noman
Anonymous

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:28:07 +0100, Walter Mitty
<mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Werner Spahl wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, Walter Mitty wrote:
>>

>>>It must really irk you that HL2 has gathered so many awards and has sold
>>>millions of copies to gamers who enjoy good quality, top notch games.
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Can you please offer us some concrete numbers here? I could never find
>> any, contrary to the record sale numbers stated for Doom 3 and Halo 2.
>>

>The sales numbers of retail units sold were released by someone recently.

On the VUgames website. Did not bookmark the URL, sorry.

Worldwide sales claimed of 1.7 million; no mention as to whether that
included any Steam-download numbers - presumably just the retail
sales. Not a very good result for this super-hyped game. HL1 sold
>3 million copies, afaik. It is highly unlikely that HL2 will exceed
this number, even adding the potential of budget/GOTY editions.
Considering the very expensive delays to HL2 and the (er..)
investment in Steam, I doubt if Valve is going to recover much
more than their development/overhead costs on HL2 sales. They
may be relying on future license revenue from the Source engine and
Steam to fund their on-going projects. On-going Cyber-cafe revenue
from the HL franchise is not likely to add up to much....all too long
in the tooth...

BTW, Halo 2 has exceeded 5 million already..........

and World of Warcraft has reached ~ 1 million in the US, Australia, NZ
<alone> with the assurance of a huge on-going revenue stream from the
monthly subscriptions. Shipments of Wow have been deliberately limited
by Blizzard to permit time to add sufficient server capacity, hence
the delayed European release.

VU will not have to rely on beating the HL2 dead-horse for more
earnings, considering the sales plus monthly-subscription money
now rolling in from WoW.

>>>And yet you touted that flop Vampire. So much for your judgement.
>>

>> Vampire may flop on the sales side, because it wasn't hyped like HL2 and
>> unfortunately is quite buggy, but gameplay wise it beats HL2 hands down!
>>

>In your opinion. Not in the opinion of the majority.

.... of game-reviewers ??? About as useful and on-the-money in terms
of their judgement as stock-market analysts....

> Example of "hype"?
>Hl2 has swept the awards : how can it have been "hype"?

.... see above.

John Lewis
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 8:39:41 PM

John Lewis wrote:

> Worldwide sales claimed of 1.7 million; no mention as to whether that
> included any Steam-download numbers - presumably just the retail
> sales. Not a very good result for this super-hyped game. HL1 sold
>> 3 million copies, afaik.

Is that 3 million to date or 3 million after 3 months (which is how long HL2
has been out)?
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 8:52:57 PM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Walter Mitty wrote:

> In your opinion. Not in the opinion of the majority. Example of "hype"?
> Hl2 has swept the awards : how can it have been "hype"?

Hype for me is unusual large press coverage and similar before the game is
available. This happened with HL2 a lot and lots of awards and tests shine
by refusing to state obvious weaknesses like it's linearity, lack of cool
weapons, lack of enemy diversity, lack of story, I won't start about the
Steam issue ;) . Fileplanet even has a special menue section for it! Why?

February 14, 2005 8:52:58 PM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:52:57 +0100, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>Hype for me is unusual large press coverage and similar before the game is
>available. This happened with HL2 a lot and lots of awards and tests shine
>by refusing to state obvious weaknesses like it's linearity, lack of cool
>weapons, lack of enemy diversity, lack of story, I won't start about the
>Steam issue ;) . Fileplanet even has a special menue section for it! Why?

Much as I love a good non-linear game, I would far rather play a well
crafted linear game like HL2 than a soulless pretend non-linear game
like Far Cry, and you don't consider the gravity gun(s) to be cool?
February 14, 2005 10:08:01 PM

> Worldwide sales claimed of 1.7 million; no mention as to whether that
> included any Steam-download numbers - presumably just the retail
> sales. Not a very good result for this super-hyped game. HL1 sold
> >3 million copies, afaik. It is highly unlikely that HL2 will exceed
> this number, even adding the potential of budget/GOTY editions.
> Considering the very expensive delays to HL2 and the (er..)
> investment in Steam, I doubt if Valve is going to recover much
> more than their development/overhead costs on HL2 sales. They
> may be relying on future license revenue from the Source engine and
> Steam to fund their on-going projects. On-going Cyber-cafe revenue
> from the HL franchise is not likely to add up to much....all too long
> in the tooth...
>
> BTW, Halo 2 has exceeded 5 million already..........

http://www.ferrago.com/portal/cluster/130132

apparently its now over 6.4 million for Halo 2 according to a site listed on
that url.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 11:18:52 PM

Walter Mitty wrote:

> Lack of cool weapons???!!!???
>
> What constitutes "cool" in your book? Icepops?

Hehe Mitty.

The gravgun wasn't cool?

For me that weapon alone was almost worth the price of admission.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 12:47:00 AM

Thusly "Les Steel" <a@aolnot.com> Spake Unto All:

>> Worldwide sales claimed of 1.7 million; no mention as to whether that
>apparently its now over 6.4 million for Halo 2 according to a site listed on
>that url.

1000x bigger installed base, a far better game, everyone and their
grandmother's played it... and yet Half Life2 is outsold by Halo2 on
the xbox.

Thank piracy for that.

I know I shouldn't care. I know I should just get a console and live
with the shitty controls, shitty resolution, and cutesy graphics, but
it *annoys* me that moron pirates are killing PC gaming. It truly
does.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 1:15:16 AM

John Lewis wrote:

> Judging by the number of Sims2 copies lingering on the used shelves
at
> EBX and the very slow post-Christmas retail new-copy sales of that
> title... Sims2 has not exactly been a raging success. So the
> comparison is not a very good one. Exact numbers sold please...
>
> John Lewis

While sales are very important they are not the only measure of success
for a computer game.

What about collecting a whole swag of GOTY awards, remaining popular
through a number of years and becoming a genre defining classic?
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 2:18:25 AM

Andrew wrote:

> Much as I love a good non-linear game, I would far rather play a well
> crafted linear game like HL2 than a soulless pretend non-linear game
> like Far Cry, and you don't consider the gravity gun(s) to be cool?

Very well put. :)
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 6:16:38 AM

John Lewis wrote:
> A FPS with some reasonably polished graphics and a weapons gimmick
> or two....a genre-defining classic ? No truly original game-play or
> story-line ideas there.
>
> HL1 was original in terms of its premise and story-line and the
> execution was superb, considering the available PC technology.
>
> Not so HL2. Disappointingly old-fashioned game-linearity with
> corridor-shooter-quality AI, and as for the rag-doll physics,
> have you ever played BF1942 ?
>
> HL2 is a glaringly milk-the-franchise product, just like Doom3.
> Certainly no classic.

True, HL2 was never going to be original because it is by definition a
sequel to HL1. Valve would have been foolish (IMO) to have deviated too
much from the HL1 formula.

Valve obviously did listen to opinions of HL1 because they've removed
Xen and based it around the soldier combat and also reduced the jumping
puzzles (aguably replaced by the physics puzzles). Key elements of HL1
almost *had* to be retained, namely the crowbar, HEV suit, zombies and
headcrabs. For new stuff, we now see more open air maps that were
necessarily lacking in HL1 (technical reasons), vehicles, (limited)
squad combat and - the big draw - the physics engine. The latter is
used to excellent effect.

They've tried to give us some new experiences without straying too far
from what made the original good.

I think the criticism of "no sniper rifle" is weak. Every FPS has a
sniper rifle. Isn't it time we had something different, like a silent
sniping weapon?

HL2 GOTY? Personally I think not this time. Certainly in contention,
but edged out by Far Cry for me.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 7:02:40 AM

Werner Spahl wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Walter Mitty wrote:
>

>>In your opinion. Not in the opinion of the majority. Example of "hype"?
>>Hl2 has swept the awards : how can it have been "hype"?
>

> Hype for me is unusual large press coverage and similar before the game is
> available. This happened with HL2 a lot and lots of awards and tests shine
> by refusing to state obvious weaknesses like it's linearity, lack of cool
> weapons, lack of enemy diversity, lack of story, I won't start about the
> Steam issue ;) . Fileplanet even has a special menue section for it! Why?

Lack of cool weapons???!!!???

What constitutes "cool" in your book? Icepops?
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 8:16:19 AM

Walter Mitty wrote:
> Werner Spahl wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Walter Mitty wrote:
>>

>>> In your opinion. Not in the opinion of the majority. Example of "hype"?
>>> Hl2 has swept the awards : how can it have been "hype"?
>>

>> Hype for me is unusual large press coverage and similar before the
>> game is
>> available. This happened with HL2 a lot and lots of awards and tests
>> shine
>> by refusing to state obvious weaknesses like it's linearity, lack of cool
>> weapons, lack of enemy diversity, lack of story, I won't start about the
>> Steam issue ;) . Fileplanet even has a special menue section for it! Why?
>>

> Lack of cool weapons???!!!???
>
> What constitutes "cool" in your book? Icepops?

Might give the Combine soldiers a brain-freeze, effectively stunning
them. ;)
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 8:59:14 AM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:47:00 +0100, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly "Les Steel" <a@aolnot.com> Spake Unto All:
>
>>> Worldwide sales claimed of 1.7 million; no mention as to whether that
>>apparently its now over 6.4 million for Halo 2 according to a site listed on
>>that url.
>
>1000x bigger installed base, a far better game, everyone and their
>grandmother's played it... and yet Half Life2 is outsold by Halo2 on
>the xbox.
>
>Thank piracy for that.

Not with Steam... at least for the casual thief....

Just not very successful commercially with the paying public in spite
of the few rabid fanatics on this newsgroup.

John Lewis

>I know I shouldn't care. I know I should just get a console and live
>with the shitty controls, shitty resolution, and cutesy graphics, but
>it *annoys* me that moron pirates are killing PC gaming. It truly
>does.

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 9:04:45 AM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:09:27 GMT, ZZZYYno_m_anZZZYY@yahoo.com (noman)
wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:18:27 +0100, Werner Spahl
><spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, Walter Mitty wrote:
>>
>>> It must really irk you that HL2 has gathered so many awards and has sold
>>> millions of copies to gamers who enjoy good quality, top notch games.
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>Can you please offer us some concrete numbers here? I could never find
>>any, contrary to the record sale numbers stated for Doom 3 and Halo 2.
>>

>1.7 million retail copies in two months (up to January 15th). Since
>that press release by Vivendi, NPD have released two weekly sales
>lists and HL2 continues to stay at #1, ahead of even Sims2.

Judging by the number of Sims2 copies lingering on the used shelves at
EBX and the very slow post-Christmas retail new-copy sales of that
title... Sims2 has not exactly been a raging success. So the
comparison is not a very good one. Exact numbers sold please...

John Lewis

>Considering its $55 MSRP, it's selling phenomenally well.
>
>Search for 'Vivendi 1.7 Half-Life2'. You should be able to find the
>press release.
>--
>Noman
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 10:07:44 AM

On 14 Feb 2005 22:15:16 -0800, flightlessvacuum@lycos.com wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>
>> Judging by the number of Sims2 copies lingering on the used shelves
>at
>> EBX and the very slow post-Christmas retail new-copy sales of that
>> title... Sims2 has not exactly been a raging success. So the
>> comparison is not a very good one. Exact numbers sold please...
>>
>> John Lewis
>
>While sales are very important they are not the only measure of success
>for a computer game.
>
>What about collecting a whole swag of GOTY awards, remaining popular
>through a number of years and becoming a genre defining classic?

A FPS with some reasonably polished graphics and a weapons gimmick
or two....a genre-defining classic ? No truly original game-play or
story-line ideas there.

HL1 was original in terms of its premise and story-line and the
execution was superb, considering the available PC technology.

Not so HL2. Disappointingly old-fashioned game-linearity with
corridor-shooter-quality AI, and as for the rag-doll physics,
have you ever played BF1942 ?

HL2 is a glaringly milk-the-franchise product, just like Doom3.
Certainly no classic.

John Lewis

Corridor AI
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 10:40:31 AM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Mean_Chlorine wrote:

> Thank piracy for that.
>
> I know I shouldn't care. I know I should just get a console and live
> with the shitty controls, shitty resolution, and cutesy graphics, but
> it *annoys* me that moron pirates are killing PC gaming. It truly
> does.

me too and its incredibly depressing and worrisome, but let me ask you
what did you do to try and fight it? yes you can make a change!
if every gamer defends what he most likes, pc games, and fights piracy
be assured we can save pc games from this continuous erosion
but i don't see you do anything special
yes, i saw you warning a pirate promoting warez in this group, but that
is not enough...
we should create a group of pc gamers against piracy
i'm talking serious man, we already know the autorities are doing too
little and the publishers don't know how to figth piracy except for
introducing even more damaging and intrusive copy protection, so it
must be we to do something, we must take the matters in our own hands

the only problem i see is steam...
for me steam is promoting piracy and that's incredibly damaging, and
i know you are a pro-steam, so steam is a very dividing issue i would
not mind being in a group fighting piracy and being quiet about steam
if the pro-steam gamers would do the same and be quiet about it and
also stop the insults of any gamers which questions valve

if we cut steam from the agenda for now, i would accept be in a group
of pc gamers fighting steam

--
"buying games via download is like eating food without salt
its completely tasteless unless you sell a game in a package"

Thusly john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) Spake Unto All:

>>1000x bigger installed base, a far better game, everyone and their
>>grandmother's played it... and yet Half Life2 is outsold by Halo2 on
>>the xbox.
>>
>>Thank piracy for that.
>
>Not with Steam... at least for the casual thief....

John, in just *one single instance* Valve killed 50000 accounts, most
because they were using pirated software. That represents $1M worth of
lost sales. And we're talking accounts on Steam servers.

How many more pirates do you think use warezed releases and play HL2
*offline*?

Yes, steam puts a stop to casual piracy, as in Joe Legit User makes a
copy for Kroag^d^d^d^d^d Joe Casual Pirate, but it doesn't stop the
warezed versions, which are freely available through the P2P networks.
It's gotten to the point now that it's actually easier, faster and
more casual to download a warez version than copy the neighbors CD's.

Do you really not there are three or more pirated copies of HL2 played
for every legit copy?

Me, I'm guessing the number is closer to 15 to 1.

>Just not very successful commercially with the paying public in spite
>of the few rabid fanatics on this newsgroup.

Thing is NO pc game is EVER "very successful" compared to console
games except online pay-to-play games. You don't find that strange?
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 4:02:42 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Chadwick wrote:

> True, HL2 was never going to be original because it is by definition a
> sequel to HL1. Valve would have been foolish (IMO) to have deviated too
> much from the HL1 formula.

In my opinion they strayed too much. What made HL1 fun? The combat with
strange aliens and soldier squads. In HL2 both are only shadows of HL1.
No special aliens with cool attacks and the soldiers were weaker too.

> Valve obviously did listen to opinions of HL1 because they've removed
> Xen and based it around the soldier combat and also reduced the jumping

I think they made a huge error by removing the Xen aliens. Granted, most
people didn't like the Xen world, but the Xen aliens made HL1 special.

> almost *had* to be retained, namely the crowbar, HEV suit, zombies and
> headcrabs. For new stuff, we now see more open air maps that were

But did it have to be three different types of headcrabs and of zombies
instead of cool new aliens? Clearly some imagination was lacking here!

> I think the criticism of "no sniper rifle" is weak. Every FPS has a
> sniper rifle. Isn't it time we had something different, like a silent
> sniping weapon?

You mean like a crossbow ;) ? The criticism with the sniper rifle is fair
in my opinion, because we see it being used against us and still never can
get one.

February 15, 2005 7:44:46 PM

Werner Spahl wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Chadwick wrote:
>

>>True, HL2 was never going to be original because it is by definition a
>>sequel to HL1. Valve would have been foolish (IMO) to have deviated too
>>much from the HL1 formula.
>

> In my opinion they strayed too much. What made HL1 fun? The combat with
> strange aliens and soldier squads. In HL2 both are only shadows of HL1.
> No special aliens with cool attacks and the soldiers were weaker too.

Eh? The pherome kids were awesome.

>>Valve obviously did listen to opinions of HL1 because they've removed
>>Xen and based it around the soldier combat and also reduced the jumping
>

> I think they made a huge error by removing the Xen aliens. Granted, most
> people didn't like the Xen world, but the Xen aliens made HL1 special.

I would agree : but we are in a huge minority here. IMO.

>>almost *had* to be retained, namely the crowbar, HEV suit, zombies and
>>headcrabs. For new stuff, we now see more open air maps that were
>

> But did it have to be three different types of headcrabs and of zombies
> instead of cool new aliens? Clearly some imagination was lacking here!

Whats with this "new" all the time? That new headhumper was awesome as
were the carrier zombies etc. Sound like you wanted a new fps not called
HL2.

--
Walter Mitty
-

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Walter Mitty wrote:

> Werner Spahl wrote:
> >
> > In my opinion they strayed too much. What made HL1 fun? The combat with
> > strange aliens and soldier squads. In HL2 both are only shadows of HL1.
> > No special aliens with cool attacks and the soldiers were weaker too.
>
> Eh? The pherome kids were awesome.

I don't know exactly what you mean by this. If you mean the antlions and
the pheropods I agree. But as I said elsewere, they could be used in two
levels only and most of the game I just fired on humanoids with masks :( .

> > But did it have to be three different types of headcrabs and of zombies
> > instead of cool new aliens? Clearly some imagination was lacking here!
>
> Whats with this "new" all the time? That new headhumper was awesome as
> were the carrier zombies etc. Sound like you wanted a new fps not called

The new headcrabs and zombies were only slight variations of the old ones,
attacking faster and making more damage. No comparison to different alien
types in HL like Houndeyes, Bullsquids, Slaves, Grunts, Gargs, Tentacles,
Controllers, Ickys, Rays and lots more in Opposing Forces, all with their
different styles of attacks. You see what I am missing in HL2 ;) ? It is a
great game and matches well with the likes of Doom 3 and FarCry which both
lack in the same department, but compared to HL a huge dissapointment!

February 15, 2005 8:44:20 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 06:04:45 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:09:27 GMT, ZZZYYno_m_anZZZYY@yahoo.com (noman)
>wrote:

>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>Can you please offer us some concrete numbers here? I could never find
>>>any, contrary to the record sale numbers stated for Doom 3 and Halo 2.
>>>

>>1.7 million retail copies in two months (up to January 15th). Since
>>that press release by Vivendi, NPD have released two weekly sales
>>lists and HL2 continues to stay at #1, ahead of even Sims2.
>
>Judging by the number of Sims2 copies lingering on the used shelves at
>EBX and the very slow post-Christmas retail new-copy sales of that
>title... Sims2 has not exactly been a raging success. So the
>comparison is not a very good one. Exact numbers sold please...

1.7 million retail sales in two months. Isn't it an 'exact' number?

If you include Steam sales and also retail sales in last two weeks of
January (when HL2 stayed at #1 at top10 list), the sales number can
only get better.
--
Noman

>>Considering its $55 MSRP, it's selling phenomenally well.
>>
>>Search for 'Vivendi 1.7 Half-Life2'. You should be able to find the
>>press release.
>>--
>>Noman

February 15, 2005 8:56:12 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:07:44 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>HL1 was original in terms of its premise and story-line and the
>execution was superb, considering the available PC technology.

I found HL1 to be a good game but not a classic as Jedi Knight (Dark
Forces 2) or DOOM or even NOLF. It was too linear with an overrated
plot (HL2's plot is equally non-existant) but some excellent action
set pieces.

> Not so HL2. Disappointingly old-fashioned game-linearity with
>corridor-shooter-quality AI, and as for the rag-doll physics,
>have you ever played BF1942 ?

I have played BF1942. HL2's real world interaction and collision are
better implemented than that in any FPS I can think of. And these are
not the only things which make it a great game.

>HL2 is a glaringly milk-the-franchise product, just like Doom3.
>Certainly no classic.

I'd consider HL2 a classic. It keeps throwing new game elements (not
just new scenarios and scripted set pieces, which it does as well) to
you right till the end. I have never seen another FPS where the last
few moments are played in a style completely different to how the rest
of the game played and I am not talking about poor attemps such as the
flying sequences in Pacific Assault or stealth in NOLF 1/2 or even Xen
in HL1. I am talking about solidly executed gameplay elements coupled
with great game design and interface.

HL2 is far better designed than any other FPS, let alone its
predecessor.
--
Noman
Anonymous

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:56:12 GMT, ZZZYYno_m_anZZZYY@yahoo.com (noman)
wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:07:44 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
>wrote:
>
>>HL1 was original in terms of its premise and story-line and the
>>execution was superb, considering the available PC technology.
>
>I found HL1 to be a good game but not a classic as Jedi Knight (Dark
>Forces 2) or DOOM or even NOLF. It was too linear with an overrated
>plot (HL2's plot is equally non-existant) but some excellent action
>set pieces.
>
>> Not so HL2. Disappointingly old-fashioned game-linearity with
>>corridor-shooter-quality AI, and as for the rag-doll physics,
>>have you ever played BF1942 ?
>
>I have played BF1942. HL2's real world interaction and collision are
>better implemented than that in any FPS I can think of.

.... than BF1942... ?

Sorry to go on about BF1942, but your claims are a little thin. You
obviously have not critically analysed the game-mechanics of
previous FPS-style games. Take off the HL2 rose-colored spectacles...

>And these are
>not the only things which make it a great game.
>
>>HL2 is a glaringly milk-the-franchise product, just like Doom3.
>>Certainly no classic.
>
>I'd consider HL2 a classic. It keeps throwing new game elements (not
>just new scenarios and scripted set pieces, which it does as well) to
>you right till the end. I have never seen another FPS where the last
>few moments are played in a style completely different to how the rest
>of the game played and I am not talking about poor attemps such as the
>flying sequences in Pacific Assault or stealth in NOLF 1/2 or even Xen
>in HL1. I am talking about solidly executed gameplay elements coupled
>with great game design and interface.

Specifically what ?

The above paragraph could have been written by a Valve
marketeer.

>HL2 is far better designed than any other FPS, let alone its
>predecessor.

In what way ?

Your posting is long in hype and thin in analysis.

John Lewis

>--
>Noman
February 16, 2005 3:26:23 AM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:20:33 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:56:12 GMT, ZZZYYno_m_anZZZYY@yahoo.com (noman)
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:07:44 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
>>wrote:
>>
>>> Not so HL2. Disappointingly old-fashioned game-linearity with
>>>corridor-shooter-quality AI, and as for the rag-doll physics,
>>>have you ever played BF1942 ?
>>
>>I have played BF1942. HL2's real world interaction and collision are
>>better implemented than that in any FPS I can think of.
>
>... than BF1942... ?

Yes. Some of the vehicle collisions and flip-overs are done so well,
that I have hard time recalling the few PC driving games that can do
that.

>Sorry to go on about BF1942, but your claims are a little thin. You
>obviously have not critically analysed the game-mechanics of
>previous FPS-style games. Take off the HL2 rose-colored spectacles...

I tend to think that I have. I was never a big HL fan anyway.

>>>HL2 is a glaringly milk-the-franchise product, just like Doom3.
>>>Certainly no classic.
>>
>>I'd consider HL2 a classic. It keeps throwing new game elements (not
>>just new scenarios and scripted set pieces, which it does as well) to
>>you right till the end. I have never seen another FPS where the last
>>few moments are played in a style completely different to how the rest
>>of the game played and I am not talking about poor attemps such as the
>>flying sequences in Pacific Assault or stealth in NOLF 1/2 or even Xen
>>in HL1. I am talking about solidly executed gameplay elements coupled
>>with great game design and interface.
>
>Specifically what ?

Do you want me to spoil the game for you? If yes, let me know and I'll
follow-up with proper "SPOILER" tag in the header.

>Your posting is long in hype and thin in analysis.

I have played it. You have not. At least my analysis is founded on
something unlike your "generic, milking the franchise,
corridor-shooter" comment.
--
Noman
Anonymous

noman wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:20:33 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
> wrote:
>

>>Your posting is long in hype and thin in analysis.
>

> I have played it. You have not. At least my analysis is founded on
> something unlike your "generic, milking the franchise,
> corridor-shooter" comment.
> --
> Noman

Great analysis of Mr Lewis' posts. Anymore said would be overkill.

*applause*
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 4:03:09 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, noman wrote:

> I'd consider HL2 a classic. It keeps throwing new game elements (not
> just new scenarios and scripted set pieces, which it does as well) to

Please explain what you mean by new game elements. The tedious boat and
buggy sequences? Or the special gravgun and pheropod designed level?

> you right till the end. I have never seen another FPS where the last
> few moments are played in a style completely different to how the rest

Now what is this style supposed to be? Slinging objects at enemies with
the gravgun like I did throughout the whole game? It doesn't matter if
some of these are enemies or energy balls, the gameplay stays the same:
pull and throw. Nothing new here, except you don't have any choice left
playing it any other way, which only adds to the feeling of linearity.
Also you are again fighting the same enemies you fought from level one!

Finally at that point any clever gamer should see that restricting the
normal gravgun to unanimate objects and the super gravgun to killing live
objects were bad design decisions as well. What fun would have been to
smash live headcrabs into zombies killing both in the progress :) ! I do
hope that id will give us these options in their Doom 3 expansion...

> HL2 is far better designed than any other FPS, let alone its
> predecessor.

I disagree. Read my comments to Walter Mitty about all the cool HL stuff
missing in HL2, to which he didn't bother (or dared ;)  to reply anymore.

HL2 is a great game, the gravgun and the pheropods are classic weapons but
a lot could have been designed much better and it is not better than HL1.

February 16, 2005 4:03:10 PM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:03:09 +0100, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>Finally at that point any clever gamer should see that restricting the
>normal gravgun to unanimate objects and the super gravgun to killing live
>objects were bad design decisions as well. What fun would have been to
>smash live headcrabs into zombies killing both in the progress :) ! I do
>hope that id will give us these options in their Doom 3 expansion...

I think you will be waiting a long time for gameplay innovation in an
iD game, let alone an expansion pack.

>I disagree. Read my comments to Walter Mitty about all the cool HL stuff
>missing in HL2, to which he didn't bother (or dared ;)  to reply anymore.
>
>HL2 is a great game, the gravgun and the pheropods are classic weapons but
>a lot could have been designed much better and it is not better than HL1.

The end result to me was that I actually enjoyed playing through HL2
twice, whereas with HL I had a couple of wow moments wrapped up around
huge amounts of tedious gameplay that I ended up using god/noclip mode
to get to the end of. You can compare games on a feature by feature
basis, but at the end of it, fun is the crucial part IMO.
February 16, 2005 4:03:10 PM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:03:09 +0100, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>What fun would have been to
>smash live headcrabs into zombies killing both in the progress :) ! I do
>hope that id will give us these options in their Doom 3 expansion...

I always thought it would have been cool if the guys you grabbed with
the Gravgun were kicking and screaming but for some reason they were
always limb and dead. I saw lots of stuff like that during the games
so to me it screamed rushed.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 4:52:54 PM

Werner Spahl wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, noman wrote:
>

>>I'd consider HL2 a classic. It keeps throwing new game elements (not
>>just new scenarios and scripted set pieces, which it does as well) to
>

> Please explain what you mean by new game elements. The tedious boat and
> buggy sequences? Or the special gravgun and pheropod designed level?

Ack. You're trolling. This is a case of "I dont like HL2". Fine. But
don't try and totally diss it because you dont like it - clearly the
great majority do and for you to keep whining about how it doesn't suit
you is just a tad tedious now.

February 16, 2005 8:08:12 PM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Andrew wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:03:09 +0100, Werner Spahl
> <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>
> >smash live headcrabs into zombies killing both in the progress :) ! I do
> >hope that id will give us these options in their Doom 3 expansion...
>
> I think you will be waiting a long time for gameplay innovation in an
> iD game, let alone an expansion pack.

They have announced a gravgun (granted inspired by HL2 ;) , and even a
bullettime feature. This is a lot for id!

> The end result to me was that I actually enjoyed playing through HL2
> twice, whereas with HL I had a couple of wow moments wrapped up around

For me it is exactly the other way round. I played HL at least twice but
couldn't bother to play HL2 again. But then I'm busy patching Vampire ;) .

February 16, 2005 8:20:02 PM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Walter Mitty wrote:

> Werner Spahl wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, noman wrote:
> >
> >>I'd consider HL2 a classic. It keeps throwing new game elements (not
> >>just new scenarios and scripted set pieces, which it does as well) to
> >
> > Please explain what you mean by new game elements. The tedious boat and
> > buggy sequences? Or the special gravgun and pheropod designed level?
>
> Ack. You're trolling. This is a case of "I dont like HL2". Fine. But

I'm not trolling, I'm just asking noman what he means by his HL2 hyping.
After all the boat and buggy sequences were tedious to some people here
and regarding the special gravgun and pheropod levels, these _were_ cool!

> don't try and totally diss it because you dont like it - clearly the

If you read my postings you know that I don't diss it at all, in fact I
think it is rather good, but just not as good as it was hyped to be, or
could have been. I just hate it when people like noman, or yourself ;) ,
praise HL2 over everything else, stubbornly ignoring all its flaws. Of
course I'll continue to correct those SS2-is-the-best-trolls as well ;) !

February 17, 2005 12:09:01 AM

wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:09:27 GMT, ZZZYYno_m_anZZZYY@yahoo.com (noman)
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:18:27 +0100, Werner Spahl
>><spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>Can you please offer us some concrete numbers here? I could never find
>>>any, contrary to the record sale numbers stated for Doom 3 and Halo 2.
>>>

>>1.7 million retail copies in two months (up to January 15th). Since
>>that press release by Vivendi, NPD have released two weekly sales
>>lists and HL2 continues to stay at #1, ahead of even Sims2.
>
>Judging by the number of Sims2 copies lingering on the used shelves at
>EBX and the very slow post-Christmas retail new-copy sales of that
>title... Sims2 has not exactly been a raging success. So the
>comparison is not a very good one. Exact numbers sold please...

Not everyone in the world shops at your local EBX.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 4:36:13 AM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:53:41 -0500, emilo@comcast.com wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:03:09 +0100, Werner Spahl
><spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>
>>What fun would have been to
>>smash live headcrabs into zombies killing both in the progress :) ! I do
>>hope that id will give us these options in their Doom 3 expansion...
>
> I always thought it would have been cool if the guys you grabbed with
>the Gravgun were kicking and screaming but for some reason they were
>always limb and dead. I saw lots of stuff like that during the games
>so to me it screamed rushed.

Isn't the Gravgun supposed to have kick-back, just like the other
weapons ? Sorry, kick-forward in the case of the Gravgun... now
wouldn't that be very funny.... maybe somebody will do such a mod ??
( Newton's 3rd Law of Motion ).

John Lewis
February 17, 2005 8:48:12 AM

Werner Spahl wrote:

> course I'll continue to correct those SS2-is-the-best-trolls as well
;) !

HA! Since early 90s LG had been the innovator in the business but what
happened when they were presenting "new game elements" or new game
styles? After UWs, SSs, Terra Nova and Thiefs there definitely havenĀ“t
been ANY new ideas around.

But, hey, who has time to spend hours for games nowadays anyway.
February 17, 2005 1:47:11 PM

Werner Spahl wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Walter Mitty wrote:
>

>>Werner Spahl wrote:
>>
>>>On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, noman wrote:
>
>>don't try and totally diss it because you dont like it - clearly the
>

> If you read my postings you know that I don't diss it at all, in fact I
> think it is rather good, but just not as good as it was hyped to be, or
> could have been. I just hate it when people like noman, or yourself ;) ,
> praise HL2 over everything else, stubbornly ignoring all its flaws. Of
> course I'll continue to correct those SS2-is-the-best-trolls as well ;) !

Hey! I hope you get married to Shodan, crabhead!
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 3:40:47 PM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, it was written:

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:52:57 +0100, Werner Spahl
> <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>
> >Fileplanet even has a special menue section for it! Why?
>
> Because they can't spell menu?

Not everyone here is a native speaker and in german menu is menue, ok?