Your question

what one should i start on

Tags:
  • Font
  • Partition Magic
  • Linux
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
March 8, 2002 4:46:04 AM

I want to start useing linux and was thinking about starting with Red Hat. just wondering if there is others that would be a better to start of with??

im trying to install redhat 7.2 on a machine that has win98 on it. when i get to the Partitioning section i dont know what to do, i used partition magic to make 2 10g partitions. I'm really new to this so please forgive me if this question has been asked many times.

any help would be great!!
thank's

<font color=blue><b> cyprus </b></font color=blue>
"What's another word for thesaurus?"
Steven Wright<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by cyprus on 03/08/02 02:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : start

March 8, 2002 6:09:49 AM

Redhat is a good start. I'd have suggested Mandrake, as that's what I started with, but redhat isn't a super tough distro to learn.

Okay, you have 2 10 gig partitions, one is probably FAT32 and is your c: drive in windows right?

What you do next is in the other 10 gigs, make a 9.75 gig partition with the ext2 filesystem, and set the mount point to /

Then, with the remaining 250 megs, make a linux swap partition.

Then continue with the rest of the install :smile:

One thing you may consider doing is limiting your linux partition to ~2.5 gigs, and keeping as much space for windows as possible. The reason being you can store all your data files on your windows partition, and both OS will be able to read from that partition, but if you save something in your linux partition, windows won't be able to access it.

Lyrics. Wasted time between solos.
March 8, 2002 6:05:00 PM

Thanks for the reply.
Yes my C: is my windows partition (FAT32)

the problem is that i dont know how to make the other partition (ext2) when i get to the partition section in the install it sees both partitions as (FAT32).... i tryed to read the install section on redhat.com but it didnt say anything about adding linux to a system with windows already installed.
can i use partition magic to make my second partition a (ext2) and the third partition (swap) or is there a way to do this durning the install?

sorry for all of the questions... i guess im what you might call "Green" when it comes to Linux!!

Thanks for all of the help,

Steven Wright
Related resources
March 9, 2002 3:06:09 AM

This is why I think Mandrake is better for newbies....Mandrake DiskDrake allows for easy formatting and partitioning.

Partition Magic DOES support ext2 and swap, but you'll probably want to go with a journaling fs (I like ext3). You should be able to format it in your install

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.
March 9, 2002 4:27:48 AM

I just installed SuSE with ReiserFS... Dunno much about it, but it's neat so far :smile:

March 9, 2002 4:39:22 PM

Off Topic discussion: Journaling File Systems
Journaling File Systems are better than ext2 because they keep track of all changes to the fs, so if something bad happens, the system can be easily restored.

There are three journaling file systems out there,
xfs, from SGI (I think?),
reiserfs, the first one, and
ext3, mainly RedHat backed

I don't use xfs, because it can't be specifed as the boot partition in LILO. I have heard it is an excellent fs, however.

I have tried both ext3 and reiserfs. Overall, I like ext3 more, it seems "faster", but they are both good choices.

It *is* possible for Linux to use an NTFS partition (Windows journaling fs), but support is still beta and you need a custom kernel to do it.

Overall, ext3 and reiser are the best choices.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.
March 11, 2002 1:15:02 AM

I've tried xfs, reiserfs, ext3, and jfs (from ibm) in the past. I'm running reiserfs on my home Madrake based machine, and use the "no-tail" option to speed it up a little. Red Hat based work machines are using ext3, cos it's the RH7.2 standard, and I'd rather go with the tested RH setup for a production machine.

In my experience, JFS has been quite buggy, XFS similar but less so (but it works good for some people), Reiser has had a problematic start, but seems stable now, and ext3 is stable too.

I've got a spare disk, so will post some benchmarks and things this weekend, with the latest stable versions of the 4 filesystems. (will use a base RH7.2 with a custom kernel).

Red_Zealot, are you sure about the LILO vs XFS thing? LILO just points to a disk sector, and doesn't really care about the fs. Why would being xfs matter?

Edit, even more off topic: I'm always amazed at the amount of work that the big players put into Linux. Check out the list of projects SGI or IBM has going on...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by poorboy on 03/11/02 04:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 11, 2002 6:05:39 AM

i got Red Hat 7.2 to install and im useing grub to dual boot(win98). I had to let it write to the MBR (i though it would kill windows if i let it write there but it didnt)

i think im going to format and install Win2K and try to dual boot useing Mandrake (i might try red hat, not sure yet), i dont know if im going to have a problem with it trying to over-write the MBR and killing Win2K (NTFS)??? any advice on this?

thanks for all of the help

Steven Wright
March 11, 2002 6:19:57 AM

I've never had a problem with either grub or lilo on my /mbr.

March 11, 2002 9:04:39 PM

That's what the Mandrake installer told me, that the specifed "boot" partition could not be xfs.

March 11, 2002 11:24:48 PM

are you dual booting any other OS??

Steven Wright
March 12, 2002 1:09:03 AM

SuSE 7.3 and WinXP Pro...

Worked great with Mandrake 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 8.0, and 8.1 with WinME, Mandrake 8.1 with XP Pro, and now SuSE 7.3 with XP Pro.

March 12, 2002 4:48:55 AM

Nice,
Im formating the HD im going to install Win2K and mandrake 8.1 right now.
it is a 20gig HD, would it be best to make 10gig for win2k and then leave the rest as "Free-Space" and then let mandrake install onto the free-space??
i plan on installing LILO as my boot loader (not on the MBR, because i have heard that it will kill win2K's loader there for makeing it useless) i was thinking i would install LILO onto the main hda that mandrake is going to be installed on (hda#??) then change the .conf file and load it into the main HD in windows (then i would change the boot.ini so that it would load linux)

do you think this would work??
or is there any other ways to dual boot mandrake/Win2K
p.s. i plan on useing FAT32 (not NTFS, i have heard that linux can't use NTFS)

thanks for all of the help :smile:

Steven Wright
March 12, 2002 5:00:39 AM

20 gig hd? Here's how I'd do it.

use a windows boot floppy and fdisk the drive. Make a single active partition (c:)  that's in the 16 gig ballpark. Format as FAT32 (for linux write assurance) and install windows on there. After windows is set up, boot off the Mandrake cd, and format all of the remaining space less 250 megs as ext3 or reiserfs (you choose). Set the mount point to be / and then format the remaining 250 megs as linux swap. Install linux.

Now for the boot sector. I'd just let linux write lilo to the /mbr as I'm sure you won't have any problems. To be on the safe side though, make a linux boot floppy first. If worse comes to worst and you can't boot windows, just boot from the windows boot disk, start fdisk, and type format /mbr. This will put ntldr back on the /mbr and you'll be able to boot windows again for sure. If you have to, you can always use the boot floppy to start up linux. (/boot/vmlinuz for my mandrake systems at least).

March 12, 2002 1:22:46 PM

Shouldn't it be 'fdisk /mbr' rather than 'format /mbr'?

I have Win98, Win2k and Redhat7.1 installed on one system. All triple booting with Lilo. I'm gonna replace RH7.1 with SuSE 7.3 when possible. I still can't get over the cool spinning HDD icons etc. and stuff when it is booting. It's just too cool! :lol: 

<font color=red><i>I refugee from Guatanamo Bay,
dance around the border like I'm Cassius Clay
</i></font color=red>
March 12, 2002 9:36:25 PM

Yep. It probably should be :smile: . Thanks. Shows how many times lilo has messed up on me as I've only fdisked the /mbr once a long time ago just for fun.

Yeah, I've got SuSE 7.3 right now... the bootup is pretty slick. I do find it kinda weird though... It seems as though compiling source to install, or even installing precompiled rpms is a 50% hit/miss thing with me now. Half the time things won't install properly, or the code won't compile... The great thing though, is if that happens, I just start up YaST and select the "install packages" option, point to the rpm, and everything's installed perfectly. :smile:

March 13, 2002 5:51:33 AM

I got mandrake 8.1 loaded and now when i boot from the boot-disk it goes to the first screen (the black screen with the linux icon in the top left) it sits ther and flashs and the says"some file name i forgot "X" disabled for 5 mins then it waits for 5 mins and starts flashing again. it wont boot up. durning the install of 8.1 it didnt ask me to pick a monitor.... (thats kinda wired)

please help... :frown:

Steven Wright
March 13, 2002 6:22:23 AM

Did you set X to start on reboot? Did you choose to test your X configuration at the end of the install? Which version of Xf86 did you install?

March 13, 2002 6:34:49 AM

yes i did set X to start on reboot ( ididnt really know what to do at that step so i just said yes) it didnt ask me to test my X configuration.... i installed the oldest one i think it was 3.3.6 (the on on the bottom of the list of 3)

thanks for the help

Steven Wright
March 17, 2002 2:32:41 AM

i have win2k and mandrake, and no problems.
install win2k first on a fraction of your hd (20GB, right?); then install win2k on a 5GB partition (should be enough). then make a 10GB "data" partition once you've installed win2k, in the FAT32 format. This partition will be accessible from Linux, under "/mnt/win_d", and if you put win2k on a FAT32 partition, then it'll be accessible as "/mtn/win_c". Now, you only have about 5GB left, enough to install Linux. With Mandrake, put the system on a partition called "/" of size about 3GB (there's a million programs that you can install for linux, so you might as well keep some space for it. a full install of mandrake is also about 1.5GB, or more). then, make a swap partition (256MB, or equal to your physical RAM size), and put the rest of the HD on a "/home" partition. whatever you use this home partition for can easily be put into the win_d partition, right?
mandrake will ask you to install lilo on the mbr (accept), and will recognize your windows partition and make that bootable on startup, no problemo. win2k, even on ntfs, will not be killed by this. of course, an ntfs partition will not be readable when you run your computer in linux, only a fat32 partition.
good luck.
(when you get more comfortable with linux, you should try debian: upgrades are as easy as a few commands at the prompt: >apt-get new-software-packacke -install).
!