Liquidator Demo

noman

The demo of this upcoming FPS came out a few days back.
It's about 400+ megs with an installed size of 750 megs.

Gameplay: Heavily influenced by Painkiller but not well
executed. Weapons are standard for any FPS. Enemies are
poorly implemented. You can't tell if they are getting hit
by weapon fire or not. They just drop dead all of a sudden.
Overall, a very mediocre game.

Graphics: Somewhere between Painkiller and Serious Sam. I
tried the game on 1280x960 with 4xAA / 8xAF on Radeon 9800Pro.
It seemed to run fine.

Sound: The tutorial speech must be a placeholder. If not,
then it should be. Mediocre to bad sound effects overall.

I won't recommend downloading this demo even if you are
on broadband.

My 2¢
--
Noman

Agreed ...there seem to be at least one a week of "this-sort-of-thing"..who
the badbunny
finances the release of so many feeble-no-sale-hope games???
@@@@@@@

schrodinger

"trimble bracegirdle" <newmouse@beeb.netREMOVESPAM> wrote in message
> Agreed ...there seem to be at least one a week of
> "this-sort-of-thing"..who
> the badbunny
> finances the release of so many feeble-no-sale-hope games???
> @@@@@@@

I remember reading about a dev studio (was it Dynamix?), where they had 4
programmers just shunting out "pay the bills" type games - take a couple of
months to develop using standard tools/gphx and maybe gross $50,000.

Enough to pay their wages and maybe keep the team in sandwiches or
whatever - also meant they could keep a larger team than ordinarily possible
and call them in when needed.

Of course, Dynamix had their plug pulled by Sierra - but you get the point!

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, Noman wrote:

> Gameplay: Heavily influenced by Painkiller but not well

this is true for any fps coming out! cause the formula
is done and well known
there is really no real innovation is fps nowadays, but
that completely normal cause what we want is to enjoy a
game not do a innovation contest

> executed. Weapons are standard for any FPS. Enemies are

trying to be "different" and come out with some kind of
exotic weapons is in most cases bad for the game
the best bet is sticking with the proven weapons

> poorly implemented. You can't tell if they are getting hit
> by weapon fire or not. They just drop dead all of a sudden.

don't you have an health counter and don't you look at it?
which difficulty level did you play? probably you must play
in a lower difficult level so you're not so easily killed
cause not everyone gamer has the same skills

> Overall, a very mediocre game.

you really didn't say why... but ok its your opinion

> Graphics: Somewhere between Painkiller and Serious Sam. I

translating that for me it means the graphics are good, so
another positive for the game

> tried the game on 1280x960 with 4xAA / 8xAF on Radeon 9800Pro.
> It seemed to run fine.

that's an insane resolution that most gamers can't even run
windows desktop with much less a game! but even so it only
proves the engine is optimized, so again another good thing

> Sound: The tutorial speech must be a placeholder. If not,
> then it should be. Mediocre to bad sound effects overall.

so sound needs improvement... its a first demo so its only
natural the game not being the final product and more work
will be for sure done

> I won't recommend downloading this demo even if you are
> on broadband.

first let gamers decide for themselves ok!
second, you really didn't point out anything bad about the
game except the sound so i don't understand why are you
trying to put down a demo just released

at this point in time i can't afford to download any kind
of demo with that size, but if i had broadband even slow
with no download restrictions i would for sure try out the
demo, and that's what every fps gamer fan with broadband
should do, decide for themselves

--
steam is probably the dream every mother had for bad behaved children
but obviously its george orwell "1984" made reality for grown ups

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, "trimble bracegirdle" wrote:

> Agreed ...there seem to be at least one a week of "this-sort-of-thing"

that's not true at all!
but if you want to prove it please post each week in this group the
links for those supposed demos

> who the badbunny finances the release of so many feeble-no-sale-hope
> games???

so someone is putting money and work into the type of games you like and
you are criticizing them? or probably you don't like this kind of games
so that's why you say it

i appreciate any effort of a new game start-up company cause what we
need is more developers, and like in everything you don't always succeed
at first! you must work hard and try over and over again so one day you
will find the right combination

trying to put down the first effort of a new game developer is wrong and
a complete rash judgement

--
steam is probably the dream every mother had for bad behaved children
but obviously its george orwell "1984" made reality for grown ups

noman

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:36:07 +0000, sayNO2steam
<sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, Noman wrote:
>
>> Gameplay: Heavily influenced by Painkiller but not well executed
>
>this is true for any fps coming out! cause the formula
>is done and well known

Huh? All FPS are influenced by Painkiller? Did you also see that I am
talking about 'execution' and not innovation.

>> poorly implemented. You can't tell if they are getting hit
>> by weapon fire or not. They just drop dead all of a sudden.
>
>don't you have an health counter and don't you look at it?

I am talking about the enemies.

>> I won't recommend downloading this demo even if you are
>> on broadband.
>
>first let gamers decide for themselves ok!

It's a recommendation, not an order.

>second, you really didn't point out anything bad about the
>game except the sound so i don't understand why are you
>trying to put down a demo just released

I said, the demo is mostly mediocre and the enemies are poorly
implemented. The game clearly belongs to the sub-genre of Serious Sam
and Painkiller and it really can't afford to have dull combat, since
that's all there is to do in these type of games.

Painkiller had fantastic weapons and very well implemented combat. It
was also a first attempt (at least at an FPS) by its developer. So was
Serious Sam for that matter. Those games are good. Liquidator, based
on the demo, isn't.
--
Noman

>at this point in time i can't afford to download any kind
>of demo with that size, but if i had broadband even slow
>with no download restrictions i would for sure try out the
>demo, and that's what every fps gamer fan with broadband
>should do, decide for themselves

>snip<
>> tried the game on 1280x960 with 4xAA / 8xAF on Radeon 9800Pro.
>> It seemed to run fine.
>
> that's an insane resolution that most gamers can't even run
> windows desktop with much less a game!

Well here is a yet another blinding insight into your complete and utter
lack of knowledge about current PC games and equipment.

Keep digging, son. That grave must be nearly done.