Win 7 Ulti. 64 Bit Memory Clamp?

herculesx

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hi All,
Have 3 Dell 490's (little brother to the 690 Workstation), Have 2-5335 2.0GHz. Quad-cores installed,Running Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Yet system will only read 4 GB. Memory No Matter How Much I install,Manual talks about installing 16GB. 8x2GB.and 32 GB. 8x4 GB.I have all Matched Memory, 1GB. and 2GB. Sticks!Tried everything, The 690 Reads all you can install? Tried Dell Forum without any honest replies, not to put them down because I have gotten and given Help there before But !Can't understand it because it read 8 GB. in Vista 64 Bit, Memory controllers are identical in the 490 and 690, both have 8 memory Slots ? Ready to Put'em in Storage,I know they are outdated with DDR2 but what the hey, Got um use um?Any Help ,Feedback or Idea's would be Greatly Appreciated!
Thanks in Advance!
Frank

herculesx

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

Hawkeye22,
Sorry for the delay but I didn't get a reply notice, Just checked the Post on my own and saw your reply.
Bios show every stick I install perfectly, if I put in 16 GB. and check Bios it shows the slot ,Brand, Size and all the other relevant info, speed of stick ect.That's one of the main things that has me stumped.1st. The Memory is good (works in other systems) 2nd. (It's all matched exactly, the sticks are all identical) 3rd. (Win.7\64 bit runs more than 4 GB. in everything else I have, or have worked on?).
Like I said I could see if it were one unit, But 3 all with Different Motherboard P/N's and all show in the Dell Paperwork to be Windows 64 Bit ready and they even sell riser cards to extend the number of slots so more memory can be installed. So somewhere something is wrong. Last these were 2 new SAS Disks that Win.7 was installed on, not like it was an upgrade from XP 32bit!!Any, ANY help would be Really Appreciated!
Thank You!
Herculesx

Have you checked msconfig? On the Boot tab, go to Advanced to access the BOOT Advanced Options. Under the Maximum Memory setting, allocate the maximum amount of RAM available and click Apply.

Edit: I forgot to mention you need to reboot after doing this.

herculesx

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

Hawkeye22,
memory hole remap isn't an option, also changing the amount of memory available in msconfig (or changing anything for that matter) results in a selective startup mode from normal mode which is a pain if you have ever used it full time, it's not that we shut down every 10 minutes but since we let just about everything sleep or hiber selective makes a mess of the whole loop because everyone is standing up except selective who is taking forever to run. And to the last reply from hang_the_nine yes sir Disc says 64 bit and advanced prop.'s of Computer says Win 7 64 bit and last have 2 Program Files and one is x86 and the other is blank so yes it's 64 bit, or Micro owes us some bucks.
Thanks
herculesx