"Old Time" Gamer Here

Last response: in Video Games
February 13, 2005 4:42:03 PM

I just turned 40, and I guess I'm a part of the original "Pac-man
generation". I was initially put off by modern games, but I've recently
decided to take a look at some of the games of today available on the
PC platform.

I am particluarly interested in the competitive aspect of gaming and
was hoping to get some advice on what games I should pick up to start.

Now since this is only my first foray into PC gaming, and I don't have
any high end hardware, the newest games are obviously not an option,
but can I get recommendations on some older, competitive "First person
shooters" that I can practice on?

The system I have is only a 1Gig Pentium 3, with 1Gig of ram and I will
be getting a new Video card since my ATI-AIW is from the last century.

A video card recommendation would also be appreciated, but I'm
considering picking up one of the following:
1) ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO
2) RADEON X800 PRO

...providing they aren't over-kill for my sytem. :-)

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

More about : time gamer

February 13, 2005 8:33:09 PM

<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> I just turned 40, and I guess I'm a part of the original "Pac-man
> generation". I was initially put off by modern games, but I've recently
> decided to take a look at some of the games of today available on the
> PC platform.
>
> I am particluarly interested in the competitive aspect of gaming and
> was hoping to get some advice on what games I should pick up to start.
>
> Now since this is only my first foray into PC gaming, and I don't have
> any high end hardware, the newest games are obviously not an option,
> but can I get recommendations on some older, competitive "First person
> shooters" that I can practice on?
>
> The system I have is only a 1Gig Pentium 3, with 1Gig of ram and I will
> be getting a new Video card since my ATI-AIW is from the last century.
>
> A video card recommendation would also be appreciated, but I'm
> considering picking up one of the following:
> 1) ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO
> 2) RADEON X800 PRO
>
> ..providing they aren't over-kill for my sytem. :-)
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

Geesh,
40 ain't old.
These games are arguably the best IMHO:

1/ Deus Ex/role playing and first person shooter(RP/FPS)
2/ Max Payne 1 / as above but linear
3/ Call of Duty / excellent multi-play mode
4/ Castle Wolfenstein / jump from your seat action
5/ Any of the Delta Force series....2 is best.....3 you
need a 3d video card.

There.
That should keep you busy.
Good Luck
Tec
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 9:16:59 PM

Thanks everyone.

I don't know what I was thinking when I said "RADEON X800 PRO". I just
want to get the best video card for this particular system without
going overboard.(I'm not thinking about transferring the card to a
higher end system in the future, because by that time the higher end
hardware will be different anyway).

I was considering one of the ATI All-In-Wonder cards. The idea was to
get whichever one would be just enough so that the 1Gig CPU on my
motherboard is still the bottleneck. Anything more than that would be
wasted, and I'd rather get non gamer related features on the card
video.(Hence my idea for that ATI AIW).

***But since I'll also need to do some video editing involving *major*
bandwidth, that may change things.

(BTW. I have Windows 98-SE and Windows XP).

As for competition. Being an old schooler :-) I'm tend not to be into
the team aspect of game playing, because the games I excelled at
involved me against the machine.(I have 1/2 dozen full-sized
coin-operated arcade games in my apartment, and intend to get back to
my quest of taking down and regaining some world records this year).

Anyway, FPS games seems to be where it's at, so that is what I want to
concentrate on.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
February 13, 2005 11:30:34 PM

Thanks.

Does this mean that under less powerful than the 9600 Pro AIW can be a
bottle neck in my system? :-)

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 12:17:25 AM

> Let me be the first to welcome you to the 40 club. ;)
>
> As to a new video card, IMHO, getting an X800 Pro is probably
overkill with
> the current cpu/mb that you have. Are you planning on upgrading
cpu/mb
> down the road too?
>
> Also, do you "need" an All-In-Wonder video card? If you don't need
> capture/edit video, you can probably save some $ and get an ATI 9800
Pro
> 128mb or the Nvidia 5900 128mb. Make sure that you don't get the
stripped
> down versions of these cards; like the SE version.
>
> Check out the two links below for video card reviews. You should be
able
> to see some interesting benchmarks on several different video cards.
BTW
> what video card slot does your mb support? PCI or AGP?
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/
> http://www.anandtech.com/video/
>
> Finally, here's a few games that you might find interesting (in no
order):

> Rise of Nations
> No One Lives Forever 1 & 2
> Joint Ops (huge online maps with up to 150 players)
> Call of Duty
> Serious Sam (IMHO the best online coop missions todate)
> IL2 Forgotten Battles (WWII Flight sim)
> Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
>

> Recommend that you read reviews on the above and always try to get a
demo to
> get a feel for the game.
>
> http://www.metacritic.com/games/pc/

Thanks.

My motherboard(which is an ASUS CUV4X) supports 4X AGP.

I will be doing some video editing, but that may require a whole
different card, since the memory bandwidth will probably need to be
256bits.(I don't think I can get anything higher than that).

Anyway, thanks again. :-)

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 2:26:37 AM

Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
> The system I have is only a 1Gig Pentium 3, with 1Gig of ram
[...]
> A video card recommendation would also be appreciated, but I'm
> considering picking up one of the following:
> 1) ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO
> 2) RADEON X800 PRO

I would *think* (someone will correct me in a moment if I'm wrong) that both
those cards are way too powerful for your system, your processor won't be
able to push stuff to the card at anything like the rate they're capable of
processing it.

I would imagine you could get a card for quite a bit less cash that would
perform pretty much the same on a 1GHz P3. Not sure of anything that I could
specifically recommend (perhaps a GeForce Ti4200? Though I don't know if
they still sell these new), but once again, someone else will be along
shortly to fill in the gaps. :)

--

(O) e n o n e
Anonymous

1gig hz P3 aint that bad.....The Radeon 9800 Pro ..around at bargin say £100
/ $200 would be just fine the X800 r at least £250 / $450 ..dont tink there
worth it yet,,,but you would be able to use one & carry forward for some
years to a new machine..
Your Graphics card will need to be able to use DIRECT 8 or 9 ..maybe get
game demos from somewhere like http://www.demoindex.com/ or a magazine
cover disc to test your system..& tastes...lots older game demos here
http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/pcgameworld/demos/

What do u mean when u say ",,competitive aspect of gaming ..." ..online
games perhaps ..that is u want games where you r playing other
(real..sort-of) people ? rather than just the comp.?

What OS do you use Windows 98 or XP ? ..1 or 2 of most recent games have to
have XP.

Perhaps consider Role Play type games ..."Elder Scrolls 3-Morrowind"
HalLife 2 would prob. run on your 1ghz ,,but it has horrid setup/install
demands
I know !!..the original HalLife will run on most things...has an
undermanding Software graphic mode...in an all-things-consided poll of the
greatest Pc action-shooter games it will still come top (probebly !)..
Luv mouse ...(dont play to much or by the time your 50+ it will completly
ruin your ability to spell) @@@@@@
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 4:45:47 AM

Thusly Searcher7@mail.con2.com Spake Unto All:

>I am particluarly interested in the competitive aspect of gaming and
>was hoping to get some advice on what games I should pick up to start.

If you're going for online multiplayer competition, I would recommend
Half-Life: Counterstrike. This the original counterstrike should run
acceptably on your system, while the new Counterstrike: Source is
likely too much for your processor. The single-player game (Half-Life)
is also very good, and you might want to try it before entering online
multiplayer competition.

Another possibility would be Quake3, which however has few
practitioners now. Quake3 is less team-oriented than Counterstrike,
has faster pace, and a sci-fi theme.

Some stats: http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/
(If you click on "Half-life" you see it is pretty much all original
Counterstrike)
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 4:45:47 AM

Thusly "Oenone" <oenone@nowhere.com> Spake Unto All:

>I would imagine you could get a card for quite a bit less cash that would
>perform pretty much the same on a 1GHz P3. Not sure of anything that I could
>specifically recommend (perhaps a GeForce Ti4200?

Yes, they still make those and yes, it would be more than enough that
the processor would still be the bottleneck. And it will play pretty
much anything, although not at high resolution.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 4:45:48 AM

Mean_Chlorine wrote:
> Another possibility would be Quake3, which however has few
> practitioners now. Quake3 is less team-oriented than Counterstrike,
> has faster pace, and a sci-fi theme.

Not quite Sci-Fi; more Gothic.

Actually, it varies from map to map. Each Tier seems to have its own theme.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 6:31:39 AM

> The idea was to get whichever one would be just enough so that the
> 1Gig CPU on my motherboard is still the bottleneck. Anything more
> than that would be wasted, and I'd rather get non gamer related
> features on the card video.(Hence my idea for that ATI AIW).

9800 pro AIW if it doesn't hurt your budget; otherwise, the 9600 pro AIW
will be just as good on your system.

> As for competition. Being an old schooler :-) I'm tend not to be into
> the team aspect of game playing, because the games I excelled at
> involved me against the machine.(I have 1/2 dozen full-sized
> coin-operated arcade games in my apartment, and intend to get back to
> my quest of taking down and regaining some world records this year).
>
> Anyway, FPS games seems to be where it's at, so that is what I want
> to concentrate on.

(** is an older game)

**Half-Life (the most popular FPS of all time)
**Unreal Tournament (my personal all-time favorite shooter)
*Unreal Tournament 2004 (don't buy the 2003 version)
**System Shock 2 (FP horror, survival, RPG, shooter)
**Serious Sam (pure nonstop action)
*Painkiller (cool weapons, tough bosses)
**Battlefield 1942
*Call of Duty

You might like **Quake3 since you aren't an experienced shooter, the
game is fun but somewhat dry and gets old fairly quickly.

Don't dimiss the team based games, there is a reason they are very
popular.
--
Mac Cool
February 14, 2005 6:31:40 AM

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
>> The idea was to get whichever one would be just enough so that the
>> 1Gig CPU on my motherboard is still the bottleneck. Anything more
>> than that would be wasted, and I'd rather get non gamer related
>> features on the card video.(Hence my idea for that ATI AIW).
>
> 9800 pro AIW if it doesn't hurt your budget; otherwise, the 9600 pro AIW
> will be just as good on your system.
>

>> As for competition. Being an old schooler :-) I'm tend not to be into
>> the team aspect of game playing, because the games I excelled at
>> involved me against the machine.(I have 1/2 dozen full-sized
>> coin-operated arcade games in my apartment, and intend to get back to
>> my quest of taking down and regaining some world records this year).
>>
>> Anyway, FPS games seems to be where it's at, so that is what I want
>> to concentrate on.
>
> (** is an older game)
>
> **Half-Life (the most popular FPS of all time)
> **Unreal Tournament (my personal all-time favorite shooter)
> *Unreal Tournament 2004 (don't buy the 2003 version)
> **System Shock 2 (FP horror, survival, RPG, shooter)
> **Serious Sam (pure nonstop action)
> *Painkiller (cool weapons, tough bosses)
> **Battlefield 1942
> *Call of Duty
>
> You might like **Quake3 since you aren't an experienced shooter, the
> game is fun but somewhat dry and gets old fairly quickly.
>
> Don't dimiss the team based games, there is a reason they are very
> popular.

Yeah, I'd throw in Ghost Recon, Operation: Flashpoint and Rainbow Six for
"team games" that aren't multiplayer. Although, I had trouble running GR at
acceptable framerates on my old 1ghz processor, but I only had a 64Mb card.
Personally, I'd recommend the 9600 Pro 256mb card for that processor. A
9800 is probably fine, too, just a bit overkill for that processor.

turk
White House will be adorned by a downright moron." - H. L. Mencken,
Baltimore Evening Sun on 26 July 1920
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 8:06:11 AM

<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> I just turned 40, and I guess I'm a part of the original "Pac-man
> generation". I was initially put off by modern games, but I've recently
> decided to take a look at some of the games of today available on the
> PC platform.
>
> I am particluarly interested in the competitive aspect of gaming and
> was hoping to get some advice on what games I should pick up to start.
>
> Now since this is only my first foray into PC gaming, and I don't have
> any high end hardware, the newest games are obviously not an option,
> but can I get recommendations on some older, competitive "First person
> shooters" that I can practice on?
>
> The system I have is only a 1Gig Pentium 3, with 1Gig of ram and I will
> be getting a new Video card since my ATI-AIW is from the last century.
>
> A video card recommendation would also be appreciated, but I'm
> considering picking up one of the following:
> 1) ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO
> 2) RADEON X800 PRO
>
> ..providing they aren't over-kill for my sytem. :-)
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

Let me be the first to welcome you to the 40 club. ;)

As to a new video card, IMHO, getting an X800 Pro is probably overkill with
the current cpu/mb that you have. Are you planning on upgrading cpu/mb
down the road too?

Also, do you "need" an All-In-Wonder video card? If you don't need to
[...]

February 14, 2005 10:00:37 AM

On 13 Feb 2005 20:30:34 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

>Does this mean that under less powerful than the 9600 Pro AIW can be a
>bottle neck in my system? :-)

That would be a reasonable match for your processor which will still
be the bottleneck.
February 14, 2005 10:12:23 AM

Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
> I just turned 40, and I guess I'm a part of the original "Pac-man
> generation". I was initially put off by modern games, but I've
> recently decided to take a look at some of the games of today
> available on the PC platform.

Dude we're at about the same point. The difference is I never quit playing
games. I think I got to the 9th key in Pac Man but it's a little foggy
now...

Anyway I'd look for a used Radeon 9800 Pro on Ebay for your graphics needs.
It's more than powerful enough for your 1gh Pentium. In fact a 9500/9600Pro
would be fine and save you a few bucks. Anything more is wasting money.

The hit list of action games from the last few years include some that
should not be missed. They should all be in the bargain bin. In order of
the number of hours I wasted playing them:

1. Half-Life, the original, and it's add-ons. Especially Team Fortress
Classic, it's online cousin (included for free).
2. Call of Duty, probably playable
3. Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Great game, especially if anybody's
playing it online anymore.

That should keep you busy through 2005. Other fun ones:

4. No One Lives Forever, parts I and II.
5. System Shock II - A lot of role-playing but still the best action game
ever made.

Don't waste your time with Doom3 / Half-Life II / Battlefield, any of the
late 2004 releases really, if/until you upgrade your rig.

GS.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 10:34:31 AM

<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> I just turned 40, and I guess I'm a part of the original "Pac-man
> generation". I was initially put off by modern games, but I've recently
> decided to take a look at some of the games of today available on the
> PC platform.
>
> I am particluarly interested in the competitive aspect of gaming and
> was hoping to get some advice on what games I should pick up to start.
>
> Now since this is only my first foray into PC gaming, and I don't have
> any high end hardware, the newest games are obviously not an option,
> but can I get recommendations on some older, competitive "First person
> shooters" that I can practice on?
>
> The system I have is only a 1Gig Pentium 3, with 1Gig of ram and I will
> be getting a new Video card since my ATI-AIW is from the last century.
>
> A video card recommendation would also be appreciated, but I'm
> considering picking up one of the following:
> 1) ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO
> 2) RADEON X800 PRO
>
> ..providing they aren't over-kill for my sytem. :-)
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

40 ain't old. I'm 50 and not the oldest around here. I love Call of Duty
(keep going back to it) as a FPS. Half-life 2 has great graphics and
interplay (not quite as involving as the original). I would think both would
run on your system (although not at optimum--Half life is supposed to be
tamed for older systems--but I don't know for sure, others will know
better). I also loved Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell (they are both old
enough that they should run on your system).
As far as video cards, I got at an ATI 9800 Pro and love it, but to each his
own.

--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

On 13 Feb 2005, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

many gamers have already given you excellent suggestions for good games
what i would only like to add is...
first, currently in pc games there is a sort of "war" going on between
us gamers and a game company named valve with a thing called steam
steam is many things but to make it short let me say it's a extremely
intrusive and damaging copy-protection controlling monitoring spyware
program that effectively takes away most of your consumer rights which
we gamers have gained over the years

my recommendation to you is to read about valve and steam and boycott
any games based on steam being sold in retail
the only steam based game currently being sold in retail channel is
half-life 2 and you should like many others gamers did say NO to it

i presume you are a real gamer who wants its games in a package like it
should always be... i'm writing about this cause there is a wave in the
industry that wants to force us into buying via download which in games
is completely wrong... pc games must always be a package product! with
a real physical cd-rom and box!

next what i would recommend you is to trying and get games older than 4
years old from budget dedicated publishers like sold-out and xplosiv
the advantage is low price and being new, the other alternatives are
you getting the games in the 2nd hand market or going for distributors
that have surplus inventory of old games
regardless of what you choose you must understand getting old but still
very good and playable pc games is very cheap!
currently you don't have to pay much to buy and play great pc games!
but stick with non steam based games and budget dedicated publishers or
surplus inventory companies

my final words
old pc games are still excellent and extremely enjoyable and playable
old pc games can be obtain either new or used with very low prices
buy always your pc games in a package! in a real box! in a cd/dvd!
and say NO to steam

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

February 14, 2005 1:16:01 PM

Thusly Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> Spake Unto All:

>You might like **Quake3 since you aren't an experienced shooter, the
>game is fun but somewhat dry and gets old fairly quickly.

I still think it beats the pants off UT or Counterstrike.

>Don't dimiss the team based games, there is a reason they are very
>popular.

Yeah, that individual skill doesn't matter, and that you get to use
headsets to coordinate with your teammates.
February 14, 2005 4:54:03 PM

Thus spake Searcher7@mail.con2.com, 13 Feb 2005 13:42:03 -0800, Anno Domini:

>I just turned 40, and I guess I'm a part of the original "Pac-man
>generation". I was initially put off by modern games, but I've recently
>decided to take a look at some of the games of today available on the
>PC platform.
>
>I am particluarly interested in the competitive aspect of gaming and
>was hoping to get some advice on what games I should pick up to start.
>
>Now since this is only my first foray into PC gaming, and I don't have
>any high end hardware, the newest games are obviously not an option,
>but can I get recommendations on some older, competitive "First person
>shooters" that I can practice on?

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. It's a fully-featured online WWII fps that is
completely *free*.

>The system I have is only a 1Gig Pentium 3, with 1Gig of ram and I will
>be getting a new Video card since my ATI-AIW is from the last century.
>
>A video card recommendation would also be appreciated, but I'm
>considering picking up one of the following:
>1) ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO
>2) RADEON X800 PRO
>
>..providing they aren't over-kill for my sytem. :-)
>
>Thanks a lot.
>
>Darren Harris
>Staten Island, New York.

For that system get a 9800Pro - should be significantly cheaper than the
X800 & will do almost anything out today.

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

February 14, 2005 4:54:04 PM

Thusly Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> Spake Unto All:

>Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. It's a fully-featured online WWII fps that is
>completely *free*.

I'm not sure Wolfenstein 3D would run acceptably on a 1GHz machine.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 6:39:58 PM

<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> I just turned 40, and I guess I'm a part of the original "Pac-man
> generation". I was initially put off by modern games, but I've recently
> decided to take a look at some of the games of today available on the
> PC platform.
>
> I am particluarly interested in the competitive aspect of gaming and
> was hoping to get some advice on what games I should pick up to start.
>
> Now since this is only my first foray into PC gaming, and I don't have
> any high end hardware, the newest games are obviously not an option,
> but can I get recommendations on some older, competitive "First person
> shooters" that I can practice on?
>
> The system I have is only a 1Gig Pentium 3, with 1Gig of ram and I will
> be getting a new Video card since my ATI-AIW is from the last century.
>
> A video card recommendation would also be appreciated, but I'm
> considering picking up one of the following:
> 1) ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO
> 2) RADEON X800 PRO
>
> ..providing they aren't over-kill for my sytem. :-)
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

If no-one has allready mentioned them then can I suggest

Thief 1 & 2 - will run like a dream on your set up. Thief coined the term
First Person Sneaker back in 1998/99. Highly addictive game where you spend
a lot of your time lurking in shadows - a lot more fun than it sounds ;-)

System Shock 2 - will also run like a dream. Sci-Fi horror on board a
stricken spaceship.

TBH mate, there are too many great games for you to play!

and check out Deus Ex (the first one)
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 6:39:59 PM

"RichGK" <sss.ee@rrr.rr> wrote in message

> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> > I just turned 40, and I guess I'm a part of the original "Pac-man
> > generation". I was initially put off by modern games, but I've recently
> > decided to take a look at some of the games of today available on the
> > PC platform.
> >
> > I am particluarly interested in the competitive aspect of gaming and
> > was hoping to get some advice on what games I should pick up to start.
> >
> > Now since this is only my first foray into PC gaming, and I don't have
> > any high end hardware, the newest games are obviously not an option,
> > but can I get recommendations on some older, competitive "First person
> > shooters" that I can practice on?
> >
> > The system I have is only a 1Gig Pentium 3, with 1Gig of ram and I will
> > be getting a new Video card since my ATI-AIW is from the last century.
> >
> > A video card recommendation would also be appreciated, but I'm
> > considering picking up one of the following:
> > 1) ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO
> > 2) RADEON X800 PRO
> >
> > ..providing they aren't over-kill for my sytem. :-)
> >
> > Thanks a lot.
> >
> > Darren Harris
> > Staten Island, New York.
> >

> If no-one has allready mentioned them then can I suggest
>
> Thief 1 & 2 - will run like a dream on your set up. Thief coined the term
> First Person Sneaker back in 1998/99. Highly addictive game where you
spend
> a lot of your time lurking in shadows - a lot more fun than it sounds ;-)
>
> System Shock 2 - will also run like a dream. Sci-Fi horror on board a
> stricken spaceship.
>
> TBH mate, there are too many great games for you to play!
>
> and check out Deus Ex (the first one)

Yeah, I gotta say that I loved Thief (played 1 and 3, missed 2).
I also missed System Shock, I will have to rectify that.

--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438
Poking kooks with a pointy stick
Proud member of the, "Vast right-wing conspiracy."
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 6:50:48 PM

<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

> My motherboard(which is an ASUS CUV4X) supports 4X AGP.
>
> I will be doing some video editing, but that may require a whole
> different card, since the memory bandwidth will probably need to be
> 256bits.(I don't think I can get anything higher than that).
>
> Anyway, thanks again. :-)

Well then you *will* need a fast separate drive for the video!
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 7:18:42 PM

Those cards that you have listed will be bottlenecked by the other older
slower components in your system.

--
DaveW

<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
>I just turned 40, and I guess I'm a part of the original "Pac-man
> generation". I was initially put off by modern games, but I've recently
> decided to take a look at some of the games of today available on the
> PC platform.
>
> I am particluarly interested in the competitive aspect of gaming and
> was hoping to get some advice on what games I should pick up to start.
>
> Now since this is only my first foray into PC gaming, and I don't have
> any high end hardware, the newest games are obviously not an option,
> but can I get recommendations on some older, competitive "First person
> shooters" that I can practice on?
>
> The system I have is only a 1Gig Pentium 3, with 1Gig of ram and I will
> be getting a new Video card since my ATI-AIW is from the last century.
>
> A video card recommendation would also be appreciated, but I'm
> considering picking up one of the following:
> 1) ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO
> 2) RADEON X800 PRO
>
> ..providing they aren't over-kill for my sytem. :-)
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 9:11:18 PM

I grew up on mostly on Doom II and lots of the older Apple games like
Montazuma's Revenge and the Bard's Tale series. As long as were
discussing game recommendations, my girlfriend and I like to play on
the LAN but are getting sick of 1-on-1 deathmatches, which of the games
mentioned allow team play against the computer like Doom II Collectors
Ed.? It would have been great to play Half-Life with her, rather than
just running around empty buildings and blowing her up. Thanks.

Carlo
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 10:09:44 PM

Going by all the recommendations so far, it is going to be difficult
choosing the best games for me.

Like I mentioned, I'm looking at first person shooters. Not team or
online gaming because there are just too many uncontrollable factors in
the game play under these circumstances.

I really don't care about graphics, characters or a plot or anything
else. I need to practice on simple games that are "pure" reflexes and
coordination.(Remember I'm old school). :-) I'm into games that when
you lose, it is because you were beaten, and not because of the luck of
the draw.

A big reason I've stayed away from the newer games is because all of
the original games used scoring as a yardstick, so that you could
reliably compare your skill to the next guy. That didn't seem to be the
case with the modern titles.

As for the cards, from what is posted here, it seems that the ATI
9500/9600 Pro(128mb or 256mb?) is as low as I can go without having to
worry the video card being the bottleneck. Like I said, I have no
intention of carry a card over into a higher end system, because by the
time I get a higher end system the card will again be too slow.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 11:13:08 PM

Oh.Man, Your system is a dinosaur. For newer games anyway. If you really
want to try competitve gaming you'll need a better system. I would start
with an Athlon 64 3000+ with 1GB ram on a Nforce 4 motherboard. Then the
X800 would be the perfect card for gaming.
<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> I just turned 40, and I guess I'm a part of the original "Pac-man
> generation". I was initially put off by modern games, but I've recently
> decided to take a look at some of the games of today available on the
> PC platform.
>
> I am particluarly interested in the competitive aspect of gaming and
> was hoping to get some advice on what games I should pick up to start.
>
> Now since this is only my first foray into PC gaming, and I don't have
> any high end hardware, the newest games are obviously not an option,
> but can I get recommendations on some older, competitive "First person
> shooters" that I can practice on?
>
> The system I have is only a 1Gig Pentium 3, with 1Gig of ram and I will
> be getting a new Video card since my ATI-AIW is from the last century.
>
> A video card recommendation would also be appreciated, but I'm
> considering picking up one of the following:
> 1) ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO
> 2) RADEON X800 PRO
>
> ..providing they aren't over-kill for my sytem. :-)
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 1:52:24 AM

Thanks I really do like that/this:

White House will be adorned by a downright moron."- H. L. Mencken,
Baltimore Evening Sun on 26 July 1920

We don't get people who can come up with those sort of lines anymore...still
seem to come up with morons though..@@@
February 15, 2005 4:09:58 AM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 03:21:17 -0600, "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
>>> The idea was to get whichever one would be just enough so that the
>>> 1Gig CPU on my motherboard is still the bottleneck. Anything more
>>> than that would be wasted, and I'd rather get non gamer related
>>> features on the card video.(Hence my idea for that ATI AIW).
>>
>> 9800 pro AIW if it doesn't hurt your budget; otherwise, the 9600 pro AIW
>> will be just as good on your system.
>>

>>> As for competition. Being an old schooler :-) I'm tend not to be into
>>> the team aspect of game playing, because the games I excelled at
>>> involved me against the machine.(I have 1/2 dozen full-sized
>>> coin-operated arcade games in my apartment, and intend to get back to
>>> my quest of taking down and regaining some world records this year).
>>>
>>> Anyway, FPS games seems to be where it's at, so that is what I want
>>> to concentrate on.
>>
>> (** is an older game)
>>
>> **Half-Life (the most popular FPS of all time)
>> **Unreal Tournament (my personal all-time favorite shooter)
>> *Unreal Tournament 2004 (don't buy the 2003 version)
>> **System Shock 2 (FP horror, survival, RPG, shooter)
>> **Serious Sam (pure nonstop action)
>> *Painkiller (cool weapons, tough bosses)
>> **Battlefield 1942
>> *Call of Duty
>>
>> You might like **Quake3 since you aren't an experienced shooter, the
>> game is fun but somewhat dry and gets old fairly quickly.
>>
>> Don't dimiss the team based games, there is a reason they are very
>> popular.
>
>Yeah, I'd throw in Ghost Recon, Operation: Flashpoint and Rainbow Six for
>"team games" that aren't multiplayer.

They are multiplayer, they just also happen to have great singleplayer
aspects.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 4:49:07 AM

Say_no_to_Difool wrote:
> Half Life - HalfLife2 will probably be a bit too much for your machine

I was thinking you might have a point, until...

> Farcry - You'll need to turn down the GFX a bit, but it should still
> run OK

Jesus! Not on that machine. HL2's a heck of a lot more scalable than the
CryEngine. HL2 might even be able to run at a semi-playable framerate on
his rig when compared to FarCry.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 5:39:54 AM

On 14 Feb 2005 18:11:18 -0800, "Carlo" <absent_carlo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I grew up on mostly on Doom II and lots of the older Apple games like
>Montazuma's Revenge and the Bard's Tale series. As long as were
>discussing game recommendations, my girlfriend and I like to play on
>the LAN but are getting sick of 1-on-1 deathmatches, which of the games
>mentioned allow team play against the computer like Doom II Collectors
>Ed.? It would have been great to play Half-Life with her, rather than
>just running around empty buildings and blowing her up. Thanks.
>
>Carlo

If you like coop try System Shock2 with the patch or Swat3. Quake2
also supports coop and NOLF2 has a few coop levels.

I've also heard the next Splinter Cell game with have coop play. :)

Remove nospam_ to reply by email

Jeff H........
February 15, 2005 10:06:14 AM

On 14 Feb 2005 19:09:44 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

>I really don't care about graphics, characters or a plot or anything
>else. I need to practice on simple games that are "pure" reflexes and
>coordination.(Remember I'm old school). :-) I'm into games that when
>you lose, it is because you were beaten, and not because of the luck of
>the draw.

For old school FPS gaming, Serious Sam is about as much fun as you can
get.

When you want something more cerebral, games don't get any better than
Deus Ex, IMO.
February 15, 2005 10:17:24 AM

"trimble bracegirdle" <newmouse@beeb.netREMOVESPAM> wrote in message
> Thanks I really do like that/this:
>
> "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and
> more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day
> the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and
the
> White House will be adorned by a downright moron."- H. L. Mencken,
> Baltimore Evening Sun on 26 July 1920
>

> We don't get people who can come up with those sort of lines
anymore...still
> seem to come up with morons though..@@@

The founding fathers of this country (USA) understood the evils of
democracies (they had seen what happened to the Greek experiment), and took
specific steps to make sure that we were NOT a democracy (mob rule). We are
(although to a much less extent than in the past) a representative republic.
We have democratic processes, but we are not a democracy in the strictest
sense. The original intent at the founding of this county was that the
central government would be weak, and the states would be granted most of
the rights from the people (you see so many politicians today that think the
government gives people rights--they cannot, they can only take them away).
It is a shame they do not teach civics in high school anymore (of course
most of the HS teachers don't know enough about the government we have to
teach it).
Every 'merikin should have to read the constitution and the federalist
papers before graduating HS. The world would be a far different place today.
Okay off the soap box and back to RL ;-)

--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438
Poking kooks with a pointy stick
Proud member of the, "Vast right-wing conspiracy."
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 10:52:51 AM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 01:49:07 GMT, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>Say_no_to_Difool wrote:
>> Half Life - HalfLife2 will probably be a bit too much for your machine
>
>I was thinking you might have a point, until...
>
>> Farcry - You'll need to turn down the GFX a bit, but it should still
>> run OK
>
>Jesus! Not on that machine. HL2's a heck of a lot more scalable than the
>CryEngine. HL2 might even be able to run at a semi-playable framerate on
>his rig when compared to FarCry.

FarCry stresses the video card much more than the CPU. Thus, if he is
going to upgrade his video card to a 9800Pro, but keeps the same CPU,
FarCry is not off-limits, especially with the amount of memory he has.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 10:54:29 AM

On 14 Feb 2005 18:11:18 -0800, "Carlo" <absent_carlo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I grew up on mostly on Doom II and lots of the older Apple games like
>Montazuma's Revenge and the Bard's Tale series. As long as were
>discussing game recommendations, my girlfriend and I like to play on
>the LAN but are getting sick of 1-on-1 deathmatches, which of the games
>mentioned allow team play against the computer like Doom II Collectors
>Ed.? It would have been great to play Half-Life with her, rather than
>just running around empty buildings and blowing her up. Thanks.

I think Serious Sam and Serious Sam: Second Encounter offer co-op team
play. And they are fun FPS action games either way.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 11:45:09 AM

Dr_Dickie wrote:
<snip good stuff>

Well said.
I would like to apologize for having pegged you all wrong.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 1:41:09 PM

Thusly Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> Spake Unto All:

>For old school FPS gaming, Serious Sam is about as much fun as you can
>get.

Yeah, it's a hectic blast, to be sure.

>When you want something more cerebral, games don't get any better than
>Deus Ex, IMO.

Except half-life, which IMO is far, far, better than DE.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 2:03:52 PM

On 14 Feb 2005 18:11:18 -0800, "Carlo" <absent_carlo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I grew up on mostly on Doom II and lots of the older Apple games like
>Montazuma's Revenge and the Bard's Tale series. As long as were
>discussing game recommendations, my girlfriend and I like to play on
>the LAN but are getting sick of 1-on-1 deathmatches,

Have you considere downloading AI players such as the FoxBot? While they
aren't perfectly intellegent, they do change the feeling from a lonesome
1v1 deathmatch to either an FFA or TDM.

>which of the games
>mentioned allow team play against the computer like Doom II Collectors
>Ed.?

This is my personal cut-n-paste file for coop games, which simply lists
games have contain coop. Just because it's in the list does not mean that
you should purchase the game as there may be flaws beyond the scope of
this post.

Campaign mode Cooperative Play - can do all campaign missions:
Alien Blast (but skips missions during coop play)
Alien Swarm
Descent 1 and 2 (and Addons)
Doom + Doom 2
Dungeon Siege
Emperor: Battle For Dune
Fair Strike (must unlock missions by completing earlier ones.)
Firestarter
Heretic + Heretic II
Hidden and Dangerous (must unlock missions by completing earlier ones.)
Hexen + Hexen II
Ghost Recon
Quake + Quake 2 (and addons)
Rainbow Six (and addons + sequels)
Serious Sam TFE and TSE.
System Shock 2 (via patch)
Unreal

"Shared Control" Cooperative Play:
Dark Reign 2

Mission based Cooperative Play:
Battlezone II
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 (really an emulation of skirmish)
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge (as above)
Delta Force: Land Warrior (probably campaign, but not confirmed)
*Descent: Freespace series
Freelancer (can complete missions as a team - campaign is single only)
Nox ("Quest" mode)
*Operation Flashpoint
X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter

Cooperative Play available but has issues:
Descent 3.
Unreal: Return To Na Pali.

Coop Play in Addons:
Deus Ex (Coop mod is beta, and hard to find. Also untested.)
Half-Life (Sven Coop Mod)
Rune
Battlezone II (G66 Mod increases AI strength)

> It would have been great to play Half-Life with her, rather than
>just running around empty buildings and blowing her up. Thanks.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 5:05:59 PM

Thusly "Dr_Dickie" <Dr_Dickie@chembench.com> Spake Unto All:

>The founding fathers of this country (USA) understood the evils of
>democracies (they had seen what happened to the Greek experiment), and took
>specific steps to make sure that we were NOT a democracy (mob rule). We are
>(although to a much less extent than in the past) a representative republic.
>We have democratic processes, but we are not a democracy in the strictest
>sense.

I love when people debate government without knowing what a
"representative democracy" is, or what is meant by "republic".

For some reason especially people on the far right are confused by
this, and labor under the mistaken belief there is some sort of
conflict between being a republic and being a democracy. Or that there
exist any direct democracies.

Possibly it's the arcane, thoroughly corrupted, and, frankly, silly
district/electorate system of the US which confuses people.

Menckens point also wasn't that democracy = mob rule, but that a
people get the government they deserve.

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

"Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Thusly "Dr_Dickie" <Dr_Dickie@chembench.com> Spake Unto All:
>
> >The founding fathers of this country (USA) understood the evils of
> >democracies (they had seen what happened to the Greek experiment), and
took
> >specific steps to make sure that we were NOT a democracy (mob rule). We
are
> >(although to a much less extent than in the past) a representative
republic.
> >We have democratic processes, but we are not a democracy in the strictest
> >sense.
>
> I love when people debate government without knowing what a
> "representative democracy" is, or what is meant by "republic".
>
> For some reason especially people on the far right are confused by
> this, and labor under the mistaken belief there is some sort of
> conflict between being a republic and being a democracy. Or that there
> exist any direct democracies.
>
> Possibly it's the arcane, thoroughly corrupted, and, frankly, silly
> district/electorate system of the US which confuses people.
>
> Menckens point also wasn't that democracy = mob rule, but that a
> people get the government they deserve.

Precisely. I never was disputing that, not am I confused on what a democracy
and republic are. I was addressing the quote. The more perfect the
democracy, the more mob rule dictates, the better the odds that a moron
makes it into office. I see that as to what the quote was addressing (right
or wrong that is what I take it to mean--YMMV). The "mob" is easily swayed
by rhetoric and hyperbole (..Think of the children!!!).
I never said that there was a conflict between a republic and democratic
processes, although most people I have talked to (right or left) seem to
believe that our constitution grants them rights (like the one to vote).
Sorry, it does not--that is a fundamental and complete misunderstanding of
our government and country. A better understanding of our government, would
result in a better government. The more people are confused by their form of
government (this is America, if that is what the majority say, then that is
what it should be), the worse government we get. If your leader rules by
taking a poll, you have no leadership.
I would not say archaic, corrupted and gerrymandered into absurdity I agree
whole heartily.

--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438
Poking kooks with a pointy stick
Proud member of the, "Vast right-wing conspiracy."
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 5:50:12 PM

Hi,

#9800 is probably fine, too, just a bit overkill for that processor.

I can't understand why anyone is still recommending last-generation
cards which such high price tags. Now that the new generation of cards
are here, one can have 9800XT performance for 9600XT price tag with the
6600GT AGP or X700 (or 9800Pro performance for 9550 prices with a 6600
or 6200, etc). It's true most of the new ATI offerings are PCI-E only,
but the new X AGP models are starting to come out as well.

There's really NO reason to recommend cards like the 9600Pro/XT or
9800Pro anymore, no matter how great they WERE, they no longer
demonstrate any kind of good price/performance ratio. Their current high
prices are the result of more and more limited availability and coasting
on previous reputations and dated review web pages.

Geez, given the prices of 256MB 9800Pros, it is the same cost to buy a
new PCI-E MB for $85 and put a $179 6600GT 128MB PCI-E card in it, and
then when 128MB isn't enough any more it will be cheaper and easier to
upgrade it with whatever next-gen card wonder comes along. Plus, you'll
get about 30% faster video performance than that old 9800Pro. At the
moment you can get new PCI-E motherboards that still support DDR I RAM,
so no other costs are involved.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Close the VT SVC Ctr boondoggle and
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | return services to local CIS offices!
February 15, 2005 7:53:36 PM

Hi,

Ah, now I see why all the funky suggestions, he has an ancient system
that he wants an ancient card for. My advice- don't EVER spend money on
obsolete upgrades to old systems. It is money down the toilet. Bite the
bullet and buy a new MB/CPU/RAM and then upgrade the video later
(assuming you don't have AGP 1x-2x!)

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Close the VT SVC Ctr boondoggle and
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | return services to local CIS offices!
February 15, 2005 7:58:52 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:53:36 GMT, kmarsh@fellspt.charm.net (Ken Marsh)
wrote:

>Ah, now I see why all the funky suggestions, he has an ancient system
>that he wants an ancient card for. My advice- don't EVER spend money on
>obsolete upgrades to old systems. It is money down the toilet. Bite the
>bullet and buy a new MB/CPU/RAM and then upgrade the video later
>(assuming you don't have AGP 1x-2x!)

But he can buy something like a 9600 Pro for $100 that will allow him
to play 99% of games just fine. Your "solution" is to spend $1000 just
so he can play 100% of games most of which he probably isn't
interested in anyway. He has been out of the gaming scene for years,
and he can catch up on some real gems for minimal financial outlay.
February 15, 2005 10:20:06 PM

"trimble bracegirdle" <newmouse@beeb.netREMOVESPAM> wrote in

> We don't get people who can come up with those sort of lines
> anymore...still seem to come up with morons though..@@@

I forget where I saw this, but:

"The collective intelligence of humanity is a constant ... and the
population is increasing."

stePH
--
If it cannot break the egg's shell, a chick will die without being born.
We are the chick. The world is our egg.

Depends on what kind of stuff you want to get into. For FPS games, I
recommend Call of Duty, then once you complete that (you can choose
different skill levels) you can get the United Offensive expansion.
Battlefield 1942 is still a classic for both FPS and vehicle action, but
Call of Duty might have overtaken them there. Look for Battlefield 2
coming out sometime soon. Also, I think it goes a little over the top in
realism for my taste, but soon coming out is a sort of strategy FPS called
Brothers in Arms.

Also interesting are RPG games, such as the latest World of Warcraft, which
I've just recently gotten into. It involves leveling up a character
through doing missions or "quests" and can be quite addicting. But seeing
as this is an action games group, see the first paragraph :)

Have fun!!

-David
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:47:49 AM

"riku" <riku@invalid.none.com> wrote in message
> On 14 Feb 2005 18:11:18 -0800, "Carlo" <absent_carlo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >I grew up on mostly on Doom II and lots of the older Apple games like
> >Montazuma's Revenge and the Bard's Tale series. As long as were
> >discussing game recommendations, my girlfriend and I like to play on
> >the LAN but are getting sick of 1-on-1 deathmatches, which of the games
> >mentioned allow team play against the computer like Doom II Collectors
> >Ed.? It would have been great to play Half-Life with her, rather than
> >just running around empty buildings and blowing her up. Thanks.
>
> I think Serious Sam and Serious Sam: Second Encounter offer co-op team
> play. And they are fun FPS action games either way.

Where else can you play online coop and watch a raging bull head butt one of
your family/friends 50 feet into the air? ;)

First time that I saw my brother go flying thru the air, I laughed so hard
that tears ran down my cheek, onto my keyboard and fired my system. But it
was worth it. My brother was yelling for help over Roger Wilco, but I
told him, "Sometimes you get the bull; and sometimes the bull get's you.
And today it look's like it's the bull's turn to get you."
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 2:26:20 AM

<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
>I just turned 40, and I guess I'm a part of the original "Pac-man
> generation". I was initially put off by modern games, but I've recently
> decided to take a look at some of the games of today available on the
> PC platform.
>
> I am particluarly interested in the competitive aspect of gaming and
> was hoping to get some advice on what games I should pick up to start.
>
> Now since this is only my first foray into PC gaming, and I don't have
> any high end hardware, the newest games are obviously not an option,
> but can I get recommendations on some older, competitive "First person
> shooters" that I can practice on?
>
> The system I have is only a 1Gig Pentium 3, with 1Gig of ram and I will
> be getting a new Video card since my ATI-AIW is from the last century.
>
> A video card recommendation would also be appreciated, but I'm
> considering picking up one of the following:
> 1) ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO
> 2) RADEON X800 PRO
>
> ..providing they aren't over-kill for my sytem. :-)
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

If you don't plan on upgarding the rest of your system, then the 9800 Pro is
more than adequate

As far as gaming, regardless of what you enjoy, Half-Life and Half-Life 2
are a definite must. If you want to taste real time strategy then get
Command and Conquer Generals and the add-on Zero Hour. Best RTS since
Starcraft. Speaking of which, Starcraft might be good too. Splinter Cell is
a great action/stealth game, as well as The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape
from Butcher bay. All the Tom Clancy stuff too if you fancy a little bit of
team smack-em-up warfare. A 1GHz PC with an 9800 Pro and 1GB Ram is not bad,
and you should be able to play most stuff from last year and earlier even if
you do have to reduce the resolution to 800x600 and remove some of the
enhanced graphics effects (i.e. shadows usually kill the frame rate and
should be the first thing to put at minimum)

Such a large selection, so little time :)  Good luck and enjoy!
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 4:27:33 AM

Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

>I really don't care about graphics, characters or a plot or anything
>else. I need to practice on simple games that are "pure" reflexes and
>coordination.(Remember I'm old school). :-) I'm into games that when
>you lose, it is because you were beaten, and not because of the luck of
>the draw.

There's no question then: Quake 3 is your game.

Joe
February 16, 2005 6:55:31 PM

sayNO2steam <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in

> my final words

If only.

stePH
--
If it cannot break the egg's shell, a chick will die without being born.
We are the chick. The world is our egg.
If we cannot break the world's shell, we will die without being born.
Smash the world's shell! For the revolution of the world!
February 19, 2005 1:41:11 PM

"Mean_Chlorine" wrote

> Andrew

>>For old school FPS gaming, Serious Sam is about as much fun as you can
>>get.

> Yeah, it's a hectic blast, to be sure.

>>When you want something more cerebral, games don't get any better than
>>Deus Ex, IMO.

> Except half-life, which IMO is far, far, better than DE.

But not more cerebral surely.

It's an 'on-a-rail shoot 'em up'
!