Diagnostic software for CD-R integrity

I purchased a new DVD burner (Plextor 712A) to master
CD-Rs. What diagnostic software is available to
determine compliancy with Red Book standards and/or
the integrity of the master? I've used CD/DVD Diagnostic
by InfinaDyne which is ok.
14 answers Last reply
More about diagnostic software integrity

    Powell wrote:

    > I purchased a new DVD burner (Plextor 712A) to master
    > CD-Rs. What diagnostic software is available to
    > determine compliancy with Red Book standards and/or
    > the integrity of the master? I've used CD/DVD Diagnostic
    > by InfinaDyne which is ok.

    Why not use PlexTools Professional, which works with the 712?

    <http://www.plextor.com/english/support/PTP_history.htm>

    "Powell" <nospam@noquacking.com> wrote in message news:<10hkqhcev1oqmce@corp.supernews.com>...
    > I purchased a new DVD burner (Plextor 712A) to master
    > CD-Rs. What diagnostic software is available to
    > determine compliancy with Red Book standards and/or
    > the integrity of the master? I've used CD/DVD Diagnostic
    > by InfinaDyne which is ok.

    I think Nero has some kind of testing features built into. I doubt
    they are better than what is provided with the Plextor Plextools
    sweet. I think the beta/jitter and the c1/c2 error testing features
    provide some tools for evaluating redbook compliance.

    I actually just bought the same drive and have been trying to find
    similar info. As best I can tell the Plextor Varirec feature is
    supposed to make the size and spacing of the lands and pits closer to
    redbook standard.

    What I was trying to discern was whether any of the tests correlate to
    greater reflectivity of the data layer. My under standing is a lot of
    the problem with CD-r's is lower reflectivity and thus more errors in
    reading data that was actually burned sucessfully.

    Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

    "Kurt Albershardt" wrote

    > > I purchased a new DVD burner (Plextor 712A) to master
    > > CD-Rs. What diagnostic software is available to
    > > determine compliancy with Red Book standards and/or
    > > the integrity of the master? I've used CD/DVD Diagnostic
    > > by InfinaDyne which is ok.
    >
    > Why not use PlexTools Professional, which works with the 712?
    >
    > <http://www.plextor.com/english/support/PTP_history.htm>

    Want something more specific to task.

    Then you don't know what you're looking for. PlexTools does the thing you
    need, which is to check for BLERS so that your burned CD won't be rejected
    by a glass pressing house, or require 1630/9000 transfers. If you want DDP
    burning, well, that's another issue. If you want Redbook verification, the
    PlexTools will give you that information (X number of BLERs per sector). If
    you want true analysis tools that speak to each and every sector of written
    information (such as the reports from DDP - well, actually DDP will simply
    stop if everything doesn't verify), I know of no such software other than
    proprietary, however, knowing that your burned CD can be used for a CD glass
    pressing IS Redbook. It used to cost me a lot of money to have mastered CDs
    checked. Now I run my own checks, thanks to Kurt's suggestion on my Plextor
    52XX burner and it's attendant software. I really don't think DDP is a
    portion of the software with a burner, however, and should be something your
    audio application supports, if I'm correct? Kurt?

    --
    -----------

    Roger W. Norman
    SirMusic Studio

    Roger W. Norman wrote:

    > Then you don't know what you're looking for. PlexTools does the thing you
    > need, which is to check for BLERS so that your burned CD won't be rejected
    > by a glass pressing house, or require 1630/9000 transfers.

    Yes, and this is something that used to cost $10k in dedicated hardware.

    > I really don't think DDP is a portion
    > of the software with a burner, however, and should be something your
    > audio application supports, if I'm correct?

    DDP is a file format, and these days is typically delivered on a data format CD-R or DVD-R. DDP 1.0 was officially supported on 8mm Exabyte but that is pretty much gone now.

    Well, it's not just a format, but one that had absolute integrity in that
    once a copy was initiated, it couldn't be completed if it had a single
    problem with the transfer, and that's what I wa referring to. So while it
    seems to be a format, it's actually a error correction protocol that says,
    'if I can't make this perfect, it isn't perfect', at least from what Glenn
    Meadows told me. Then again he told me that jitter wasn't the same thing as
    token ring jitter, and it turns out to be the exact same thing. Who knew
    that he'd be right in some circumstances and I'd be right in others,
    considering their totally different fields? <g>

    --
    -----------

    Roger W. Norman
    SirMusic Studio

    "Roger W. Norman" <Roger@SirMusicStudio.com> wrote in message news:<411b97d4$0$5898$61fed72c@news.rcn.com>...
    > Then you don't know what you're looking for. PlexTools does the thing you
    > need, which is to check for BLERS so that your burned CD won't be rejected
    > by a glass pressing house, or require 1630/9000 transfers. If you want DDP
    > burning, well, that's another issue. If you want Redbook verification, the
    > PlexTools will give you that information (X number of BLERs per sector). If
    > you want true analysis tools that speak to each and every sector of written
    > information (such as the reports from DDP - well, actually DDP will simply
    > stop if everything doesn't verify), I know of no such software other than
    > proprietary, however, knowing that your burned CD can be used for a CD glass
    > pressing IS Redbook. It used to cost me a lot of money to have mastered CDs
    > checked. Now I run my own checks, thanks to Kurt's suggestion on my Plextor
    > 52XX burner and it's attendant software. I really don't think DDP is a
    > portion of the software with a burner, however, and should be something your
    > audio application supports, if I'm correct? Kurt?
    >
    > --
    > -----------
    >
    > Roger W. Norman
    > SirMusic Studio
    >

    > "Powell" <nospam@noquacking.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Kurt Albershardt" wrote

    > > > Why not use PlexTools Professional, which works with the 712?
    > > >
    > > > <http://www.plextor.com/english/support/PTP_history.htm>
    > > >

    > > Want something more specific to task.

    I know toast has some kind of DDP function or write to DDP. I think I
    heard Jay mention something called a DDP CD-ROM. Seems like Sequoia or
    something like that will make this kind of disc.

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:51:20 -0400, "Powell" <nospam@noquacking.com> wrote:

    >I purchased a new DVD burner (Plextor 712A) to master
    >CD-Rs. What diagnostic software is available to
    >determine compliancy with Red Book standards

    As far as *that* goes... I'd just use something that's known to produce
    compliant disks (CD Architect, for example... might want see what's up
    at Feurio these days, as well). Just... for example. (I mean, really, it's not
    like that's something you need to check with every burn.) As for the other
    thing -

    > and/or
    >the integrity of the master? I've used CD/DVD Diagnostic
    >by InfinaDyne which is ok.

    I was actually going to suggest that very thing. I really haven't been
    keeping up, but it always seemed to be considered the next best thing to
    having your disk(s) analysed at a professional facility (or at least with the
    gear therein).

    Have you read any of *this* place:

    http://www.mscience.com/

    And of course there's Plextool (and, being that you *are* using a Plextor
    burner...) Although... looking over the other replies... what, "specifically",
    are you wanting... that you haven't mentioned?

    Jeff

    http://www.jefftturner.com

    Yeah, I believe that Sequoia does DDP but Samplitude does not, unless I've
    missed something in the manual.

    Used to be just a big buck package product, like SADiE or Sonic. It's kinda
    nice that some of the technology is filtering down, but it can still be
    costly.

    --
    -----------

    Roger W. Norman
    SirMusic Studio

    "Mike" <mmeprod@mmeproductions.com> wrote in message
    > "Roger W. Norman" <Roger@SirMusicStudio.com> wrote in message
    > > Then you don't know what you're looking for. PlexTools does the thing
    you
    > > need, which is to check for BLERS so that your burned CD won't be
    rejected
    > > by a glass pressing house, or require 1630/9000 transfers. If you want
    DDP
    > > burning, well, that's another issue. If you want Redbook verification,
    the
    > > PlexTools will give you that information (X number of BLERs per sector).
    If
    > > you want true analysis tools that speak to each and every sector of
    written
    > > information (such as the reports from DDP - well, actually DDP will
    simply
    > > stop if everything doesn't verify), I know of no such software other
    than
    > > proprietary, however, knowing that your burned CD can be used for a CD
    glass
    > > pressing IS Redbook. It used to cost me a lot of money to have mastered
    CDs
    > > checked. Now I run my own checks, thanks to Kurt's suggestion on my
    Plextor
    > > 52XX burner and it's attendant software. I really don't think DDP is a
    > > portion of the software with a burner, however, and should be something
    your
    > > audio application supports, if I'm correct? Kurt?
    > >
    > > --
    > > -----------
    > >
    > > Roger W. Norman
    > > SirMusic Studio
    > >

    > > "Powell" <nospam@noquacking.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Kurt Albershardt" wrote

    > > > Want something more specific to task.
    > > >

    > I know toast has some kind of DDP function or write to DDP. I think I
    > heard Jay mention something called a DDP CD-ROM. Seems like Sequoia or
    > something like that will make this kind of disc.
    >
    > Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

    "pH" wrote

    > >I purchased a new DVD burner (Plextor 712A) to master
    > >CD-Rs. What diagnostic software is available to
    > >determine compliancy with Red Book standards
    >
    > As far as *that* goes... I'd just use something that's known
    > to produce compliant disks (CD Architect, for example...

    I had been using CD Architect 5 but decided to incorporate
    CD text, which it doesn't support. This also required me to
    ditch my Yamaha burner, too.

    > > and/or
    > >the integrity of the master? I've used CD/DVD Diagnostic
    > >by InfinaDyne which is ok.
    >
    > I was actually going to suggest that very thing. I really haven't
    > been keeping up, but it always seemed to be considered the
    > next best thing to having your disk(s) analysed at a professional
    > facility (or at least with the gear therein).

    Yes, and it also verifies CD text and gives suggestions.

    > Have you read any of *this* place:
    >
    > http://www.mscience.com/

    Thank you... good FAQ, too.

    > And of course there's Plextool (and, being that you *are*
    > using a Plextor burner...) Although... looking over the
    > other replies... what, "specifically", are you wanting... that
    > you haven't mentioned?

    Basically I want a one stop software program that will
    evaluate physical disk quality... which types of blanks
    (manufactures) work best for this particular burner. Once
    a disk is burned I want quality control measures
    performed that doesn't require a high level of disc
    technology interpellation... I want pass/fail only. In
    addition the diagnostic software must evaluate file
    structure hierarchy. If a disk incorporates audio, visual,
    auto-execute or flash, for example, I want verification
    that the disk's overall file structure is compliant.

    "Roger W. Norman" wrote

    > Then you don't know what you're looking for.

    Quack, quack, quack....

    > PlexTools does the thing you need, which is to check
    > for BLERS so that your burned CD won't be rejected
    > by a glass pressing house, or require 1630/9000 transfers.

    The weakness of BLER is that it counts error frames, not
    bad bits or bytes. By my count (reading) there are eleven
    categories of quality control standards affecting CD-Rs... not
    one (BLER). BLER is a good quality indicator if all other
    properties of the disc indicate high quality.

    > If you want Redbook verification, the PlexTools will give you
    > that information (X number of BLERs per sector).

    Plextor warns regarding their tests that "For most of them,
    high technical knowledge of Disc Technology is necessary
    to understand the functions and results." I guess that would
    include you, too, mr. Top Poster.

    Powell wrote:

    > Basically I want a one stop software program that will
    > evaluate physical disk quality... which types of blanks
    > (manufactures) work best for this particular burner. Once
    > a disk is burned I want quality control measures
    > performed that doesn't require a high level of disc
    > technology interpellation... I want pass/fail only. In
    > addition the diagnostic software must evaluate file
    > structure hierarchy. If a disk incorporates audio, visual,
    > auto-execute or flash, for example, I want verification
    > that the disk's overall file structure is compliant.

    Then you're most likely going to have to write (or hire someone to write) a script or simple GUI that will frontend something like cdrecord (available free for *nix systems and also for Win32)
    <http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html>

    Powell wrote:

    > Basically I want a one stop software program that will
    > evaluate physical disk quality... which types of blanks
    > (manufactures) work best for this particular burner. Once
    > a disk is burned I want quality control measures
    > performed that doesn't require a high level of disc
    > technology interpellation... I want pass/fail only. In
    > addition the diagnostic software must evaluate file
    > structure hierarchy. If a disk incorporates audio, visual,
    > auto-execute or flash, for example, I want verification
    > that the disk's overall file structure is compliant.

    Sounds like you want Plextools Pro to me. There doesn't seem to be any
    other software (or drives) that output the necessary information.

    Also, physical disc quality has nothing to do with RedBook compliance. That
    is a function of the formatting in the authoring software, not the quality
    of the disc data replay. CDA5 has an option to "Use strict Red Book
    specification Checking". Aint that enough for you ?

    geoff

    http://www.cloversystems.com/

    Not cheap, but tells you what you need to know.
    Richard H. Kuschel

Pro Audio DVD Burner CD-Rom Software Audio