Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Questions on v600 phone book and voice dialing

Last response: in Brands
Share
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 6:37:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Please excuse the long post -- but I am trying to figure out whether the
v600 will work for me or whether I will have to send it back to ATT.

I¹d like a knowledgeable person to confirm what I have learned about the
Phone Book and Voice Dialing (if I am correct about what follows, the phone
does not meet my needs):

1. Phone Book/Sim Card ­ There is no way to see only the numbers in the
phone book. If the same number is on the sim card and in the Phone Book, it
appears twice on screen. Motorola¹s suggests that one erase the numbers on
the sim card. I can¹t because I move the card phone-to-phone.

Is this correct? Is there no way to work from only the PhoneBook?

2. Since the sim card does not hold email addresses, I thought about using
the sim card for phone numbers and the PhoneBook for email. But, then I
can¹t use voice dial for phone numbers because you can¹t voice dial a phone
number on the sim. Is that correct?

3. Voice Dialing: It appears that one must record a separate command for
each number one wants to call. For example if I have Steve in the phone
book, and he has a home, office and cell number ­ I must record three
separate voice commands. (SE has you record home/office/cell separately. To
dial a person at home is two steps ­ first you say the name and then to the
second prompt you say ³cell² or whatever. In essence you record one name per
person.)

Motorola appears to require that you record three entries per person. And,
they tell me that they all must be distinct. I canŒt use SteveHome,
SteveCell, SteveOffice ­ because they are not sufficiently distinct and will
confuse the phone. Is that correct?

Finally, Motorola told me that I can have but 20 voice command entries. If
that is true, and my average contact has 3 phone numbers, I can only have
voice dial commands for 6 people? Is that correct?

If these things are true, the phone won¹t work for me. It¹s a nice phone.
But, I¹m learning that software and interface are as important as the
physical phone. I had sworn I would never own another SE phone ­ but
suddenly that interface is very appealing.

Thanks for the help.

sjh
April 12, 2004 8:52:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Hi

> 1. Phone Book/Sim Card ­ There is no way to see only the numbers in the
> phone book. If the same number is on the sim card and in the Phone Book, it
> appears twice on screen. Motorola¹s suggests that one erase the numbers on
> the sim card. I can¹t because I move the card phone-to-phone.
>
> Is this correct? Is there no way to work from only the PhoneBook?

This is correct, however there is a workaround. the phonebook on the
v600 allows you to create categories for your contacts so:
1) copy all your sim contacts to the phone
2) in phonebook hit the three lined menu button, select categories
3) hit the menu button again, select new
4) name the new category eg 'phone', next select members and put a tick
next to all your contacts in the phone memory (the phone entry comes
before the sim entry in the list IIRC), hit done when finished
5) in the phonebook, hit the menu key- go to categories again and select
'phone', the phonebook will now only display the numbers in this
category - ie, no doubles.

ideally, the best option is to delete all the numbers from your SIM, but
I understand that it is not an option - hopefully motorola will address
this issue in future updates. See this link for more info:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=...

> 2. Since the sim card does not hold email addresses, I thought about using
> the sim card for phone numbers and the PhoneBook for email. But, then I
> can¹t use voice dial for phone numbers because you can¹t voice dial a phone
> number on the sim. Is that correct?

No, but if you transfer the numbers as described above then you can
assign voice to them.

> 3. Voice Dialing: It appears that one must record a separate command for
> each number one wants to call. For example if I have Steve in the phone
> book, and he has a home, office and cell number ­ I must record three
> separate voice commands. (SE has you record home/office/cell separately. To
> dial a person at home is two steps ­ first you say the name and then to the
> second prompt you say ³cell² or whatever. In essence you record one name per
> person.)

Unfortunately you are right. i havent experimented with how sensitive
them voice recognition is however my phonebook contains a few contacts
with multiple entries, ie . 'JP home', 'JP mobile' etc - they work fine.

> Finally, Motorola told me that I can have but 20 voice command entries. If
> that is true, and my average contact has 3 phone numbers, I can only have
> voice dial commands for 6 people? Is that correct?

No, not on my phone. i have around 40.

i hope that helps. it is a good phone, but the phonebook issue is a pain
in the ass if you swap your sim around.

thanks
jp
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 9:50:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

1. You can put all the phone entries in a different catagory and leave
the SIM data as "General" then just select the other catagory to show
the phone entries only.
2. Correct, but if you do number 1 above your problem is solved. Use SIM
for numbers only and phone for both numbers and email.
3. Correct, any phone will need to hear a distinct voice to
differentiate between numbers. Rather than use one name with 3 numbers I
put in each one individually so only one prompt is needed to dial. As to
whether JoeCell vs JoeHome is distictive enough, it depends on how you
speak it.
If you need more voice dialling adresses than are available I guess
you'll need to keep shopping.

From:sjh
prairiefire@earthlink.net

> Please excuse the long post -- but I am trying to figure out whether
> the v600 will work for me or whether I will have to send it back to
> ATT.
>
> I¹d like a knowledgeable person to confirm what I have learned about
> the Phone Book and Voice Dialing (if I am correct about what follows,
> the phone does not meet my needs):
>
> 1. Phone Book/Sim Card ­ There is no way to see only the numbers in
> the phone book. If the same number is on the sim card and in the
> Phone Book, it appears twice on screen. Motorola¹s suggests that one
> erase the numbers on the sim card. I can¹t because I move the card
> phone-to-phone.
>
> Is this correct? Is there no way to work from only the PhoneBook?
>
> 2. Since the sim card does not hold email addresses, I thought about
> using the sim card for phone numbers and the PhoneBook for email.
> But, then I can¹t use voice dial for phone numbers because you can¹t
> voice dial a phone number on the sim. Is that correct?
>
> 3. Voice Dialing: It appears that one must record a separate command
> for each number one wants to call. For example if I have Steve in the
> phone book, and he has a home, office and cell number ­ I must record
> three separate voice commands. (SE has you record home/office/cell
> separately. To dial a person at home is two steps ­ first you say the
> name and then to the second prompt you say ³cell² or whatever. In
> essence you record one name per person.)
>
> Motorola appears to require that you record three entries per person.
> And, they tell me that they all must be distinct. I canŒt use
> SteveHome, SteveCell, SteveOffice ­ because they are not sufficiently
> distinct and will confuse the phone. Is that correct?
>
> Finally, Motorola told me that I can have but 20 voice command
> entries. If that is true, and my average contact has 3 phone numbers,
> I can only have voice dial commands for 6 people? Is that correct?
>
> If these things are true, the phone won¹t work for me. It¹s a nice
> phone. But, I¹m learning that software and interface are as important
> as the physical phone. I had sworn I would never own another SE phone
> ­ but suddenly that interface is very appealing.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> sjh
!