Any studio in Dallas TX with a pair of Schoeps CMC6/MK41 ?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 12, 2004 2:07:01 AM

I'm thinking of buying a pair of Schoeps but I'd like to try them out
before spending $2900. I figure spending $$$ on an hour of studio
time would be a worthwhile precaution against a multi-thousand dollar
buying mistake.

I currently have a pair of AT 4041 and a pair of Neumann KM184. The
KM184 was a HUGE improvement over the 4041. I'm wondering if the
Scheops will be just a subtle improvement or a big jump in quality
like I experienced with the Neumanns. I hope that the Schoeps are as
quiet as the KM184s.
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 2:52:03 AM

>I'm thinking of buying a pair of Schoeps but I'd like to try them out
>before spending $2900. I figure spending $$$ on an hour of studio
>time would be a worthwhile precaution against a multi-thousand dollar
>buying mistake.
>
>I currently have a pair of AT 4041 and a pair of Neumann KM184. The
>KM184 was a HUGE improvement over the 4041. I'm wondering if the
>Scheops will be just a subtle improvement or a big jump in quality
>like I experienced with the Neumanns. I hope that the Schoeps are as
>quiet as the KM184s.

The Schoeps are indeed as quiet as the KM184, but the sound is entirely
different. I have both and rarely use the KM184's. The alternative that I
(occasionally) use instead of the Schoeps is the KM84

A lot richer in the low end and not as shrill on the top.

Unbelievable rejection of unwanted signals if placed properly.

If you are looking for even more brightness, you will be disappointed.

Even if you hated them, it would not be a buying mistake.

You are on the right track however. An hour of studio time for direct
comparison to your KM184's is a wise decision.

Richard H. Kuschel
August 12, 2004 3:11:07 AM

On 11 Aug 2004 22:52:03 GMT, rickpv8945@aol.com (Richard Kuschel)
wrote:

>>I'm thinking of buying a pair of Schoeps but I'd like to try them out
>>before spending $2900. I figure spending $$$ on an hour of studio
>>time would be a worthwhile precaution against a multi-thousand dollar
>>buying mistake.
>>
>>I currently have a pair of AT 4041 and a pair of Neumann KM184. The
>>KM184 was a HUGE improvement over the 4041. I'm wondering if the
>>Scheops will be just a subtle improvement or a big jump in quality
>>like I experienced with the Neumanns. I hope that the Schoeps are as
>>quiet as the KM184s.
>>

>The Schoeps are indeed as quiet as the KM184, but the sound is entirely
>different. I have both and rarely use the KM184's. The alternative that I
>(occasionally) use instead of the Schoeps is the KM84
>
>A lot richer in the low end and not as shrill on the top.
>
>Unbelievable rejection of unwanted signals if placed properly.
>
>If you are looking for even more brightness, you will be disappointed.

Definiteloy NOT looking for more brightness! The AudioTechnica 4041
was very bright and edgy and the big improvement I got with the
Neumann was a much smoother, rounder, mellower sound. I'm not one
those nitpicky people with "golden ears" and even I could tell the
difference. If the Schoeps can be even smoother and rounder without
"muffling" the sound, that would be great.
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 9:06:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic (More info?)

wrote:

>>I'm thinking of buying a pair of Schoeps but I'd like to try them out
>>before spending $2900. I figure spending $$$ on an hour of studio
>>time would be a worthwhile precaution against a multi-thousand dollar
>>buying mistake.
>>
>>I currently have a pair of AT 4041 and a pair of Neumann KM184. The
>>KM184 was a HUGE improvement over the 4041. I'm wondering if the
>>Scheops will be just a subtle improvement or a big jump in quality
>>like I experienced with the Neumanns. I hope that the Schoeps are as
>>quiet as the KM184s.
>>

>The Schoeps are indeed as quiet as the KM184, but the sound is entirely
>different. I have both and rarely use the KM184's. The alternative that I
>(occasionally) use instead of the Schoeps is the KM84
>
>A lot richer in the low end and not as shrill on the top.

Do you mean the Scheops or the KM84 (or both) is "lot richer in the
low end and not as shrill" ??

>Unbelievable rejection of unwanted signals if placed properly.

For stereo recording, I usually point a KM184 at the base of the
guitar (at the strap pin) and another one at the 12th fret. Both mics
are parallel to each other and perpendicular to the top surface of the
guitar. I guess this is a typical spaced pair without positioning the
mics at any angles. I generally like the sound of this setup except
that there's a little too much right hand finger attack noise. Since
the Schoeps MK41 is hypercardiod instead of cardioid, I wonder if the
superior off-axis rejection would minimize the finger pluck noise
more?!?
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 9:06:07 PM

J.W. <jwngaa@att.net> wrote in message:

> Do you mean the Scheops or the KM84 (or both) is "lot richer in the
> low end and not as shrill" ??

I don't want to speak for anyone, but the Schoeps smokes the Neumann.
I'm sure that's what he meant when he said "lot richer in the low end
and not as shrill" ?? They both can't be 'richer' when one is
brighter.

> Since
> the Schoeps MK41 is hypercardiod instead of cardioid, I wonder if the
> superior off-axis rejection would minimize the finger pluck noise
> more?!?

I doubt it, if anything it might emphasize it since there is more
direct sound. But all of that may be a moot point considering the
smoothness of the Schoeps in general. Also, it depends very much on
the preamp. Certain preamps emphasize string noise, lip smack,
sibilance, etc much more than others.

Nathan Eldred
http://www.atlasproaudio.com
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 2:21:59 AM

>From: atlasproaudio@hotmail.com (Nathan Eldred)
>Date: Thu, Aug 12, 2004 5:03 PM
>
>J.W. <jwngaa@att.net> wrote in message:
>

>> Do you mean the Scheops or the KM84 (or both) is "lot richer in the
>> low end and not as shrill" ??
>

>I don't want to speak for anyone, but the Schoeps smokes the Neumann.
>I'm sure that's what he meant when he said "lot richer in the low end
>and not as shrill" ?? They both can't be 'richer' when one is
>brighter.

>Nathan Eldred
>http://www.atlasproaudio.com

That's what I meant. The Schoeps is richer and doesn't have the shrillness of
the hyped high end on the KM184.

In my opinion, absolutely no comparison.

Richard H. Kuschel