Where do you stand on 'warez'?

Hi to the group..

Fairly simple question.. where do you 'stand' on the 'warez' scene.
I'm not here to criticise or put down or even encourage, after all i'm
pretty sure that at least 90% of the regular visitors to this
newsgroup, have at one time or not downloaded warez from the web. We
all have different reasons for doing it - curiousity, fun or simply
because you don't want to buy that particular piece of software. But
we've done it never the less.. and the warez scene has definitely
changed over the last 10yrs since i've been using the web.. there was
a time when you could download all the latest games/apps' relatively
painlessly.. now, it's a joke.. warez sites have become ridiculously
complicated - i particularly enjoy those sites that ask you to 'pay'
to download anything - which begs the questions.. if i'm/you're
willing to pay for software from warez site - why not just go out and
buy the software from retail?.. I'll admit i have downloaded warez
but in my defense it was/has always been a temporary solution - at
least until i have the money to buy the software. And i do buy my
software, i have well over 1000 titles - all store bought. I have
software on 5 1/4" floppy disks, 3 1/2" floppy, CD-Rom and DVD. Yet
from time to time i will still check out warez sites and download from
them.. that is if you can. Is it wrong? sure, you're taking money away
from the programmers who made the software.. but what if after
downloading a program, it made you go out and actually buy it.. who
got hurt in that case then?
So, feel free to add comments - i'm really interested on what your
opinions are..

ubertoadie
100 answers Last reply
More about where stand warez

    Still doing bongs Free?

    ubertoadie@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > Hi to the group..
    >
    > Fairly simple question.. where do you 'stand' on the 'warez'

    <snip>

    I suppose it depends on how large these said warez were. If they were
    large enough I'd stand right on their back with both feet square;
    however, if they were of the smaller variety I'd be more tender with my
    standing. It should be of the utmost importance that you do not
    discomfort warez but seek to accomodate them within reasonable limits.
    A loved warez will give back as much tenderness that was put into it and
    then some. Sometimes this may require *not* standing on warez at all!

    --
    best regards, mat
    np: Mustapha Mond - Its Opposite Day I Love You

    www.pdxshows.net

    i own a yacht wrote:

    > > it's the pirates fault that developers move to consoles.
    >
    > where piracy doesn't exist.

    Not to anywhere near the same degree, no.

    Alfie [UK] wrote:

    > Software theft via downloading is usually pursued as copyright
    > infringment at the mo.

    As it should be, IMO.

    <ubertoadie@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > Hi to the group..
    >
    > Fairly simple question.. where do you 'stand' on the 'warez' scene.
    > I'm not here to criticise or put down or even encourage, after all i'm
    > pretty sure that at least 90% of the regular visitors to this
    > newsgroup, have at one time or not downloaded warez from the web. We
    > all have different reasons for doing it - curiousity, fun or simply
    > because you don't want to buy that particular piece of software. But
    > we've done it never the less.. and the warez scene has definitely
    > changed over the last 10yrs since i've been using the web.. there was
    > a time when you could download all the latest games/apps' relatively
    > painlessly.. now, it's a joke.. warez sites have become ridiculously
    > complicated - i particularly enjoy those sites that ask you to 'pay'
    > to download anything - which begs the questions.. if i'm/you're
    > willing to pay for software from warez site - why not just go out and
    > buy the software from retail?.. I'll admit i have downloaded warez
    > but in my defense it was/has always been a temporary solution - at
    > least until i have the money to buy the software. And i do buy my
    > software, i have well over 1000 titles - all store bought. I have
    > software on 5 1/4" floppy disks, 3 1/2" floppy, CD-Rom and DVD. Yet
    > from time to time i will still check out warez sites and download from
    > them.. that is if you can. Is it wrong? sure, you're taking money away
    > from the programmers who made the software.. but what if after
    > downloading a program, it made you go out and actually buy it.. who
    > got hurt in that case then?
    > So, feel free to add comments - i'm really interested on what your
    > opinions are..
    >
    > ubertoadie

    I think that discussion of "warez" etc may be against the group charter,
    although where else you would discuss this in a "neutral" environment, I
    don't know.

    As with lots of things like this, there are a lot of pompous hypocrites
    around so prepare to get flamed.

    As for where I stand - I don't really care either way. Although you can
    readily access "warez" via the alt.binaries newsgroups (as long as you use a
    good news provider) I still buy games.

    I think there are too many mediocre titles around without demos and consumer
    abuses like Steam for warez to be intrinsically bad.

    For someone to argue it is theft - I am not so sure. Theft to me is when, by
    taking something, you have deprived somebody else of the ability to use it.
    This is clearly not the case for media like this.

    Finally, people have been predicting the death of the software industry
    because of copying of games since the ZX81 and Spectrum - when us kids would
    connect 2 tape machines together to copy the latest game. The games
    industry now rivals the movie industry for revenues.

    Plus ca change
    Plus c'est la meme chose

    ubertoadie@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > Hi to the group..
    >
    > Fairly simple question.. where do you 'stand' on the 'warez' scene.
    > I'm not here to criticise or put down or even encourage, after all i'm
    > pretty sure that at least 90% of the regular visitors to this
    > newsgroup, have at one time or not downloaded warez from the web. We
    > all have different reasons for doing it - curiousity, fun or simply
    > because you don't want to buy that particular piece of software. But
    > we've done it never the less.. and the warez scene has definitely
    > changed over the last 10yrs since i've been using the web.. there was
    > a time when you could download all the latest games/apps' relatively
    > painlessly.. now, it's a joke.. warez sites have become ridiculously
    > complicated - i particularly enjoy those sites that ask you to 'pay'
    > to download anything - which begs the questions.. if i'm/you're
    > willing to pay for software from warez site - why not just go out and
    > buy the software from retail?.. I'll admit i have downloaded warez
    > but in my defense it was/has always been a temporary solution - at
    > least until i have the money to buy the software. And i do buy my
    > software, i have well over 1000 titles - all store bought. I have
    > software on 5 1/4" floppy disks, 3 1/2" floppy, CD-Rom and DVD. Yet
    > from time to time i will still check out warez sites and download from
    > them.. that is if you can. Is it wrong? sure, you're taking money away
    > from the programmers who made the software.. but what if after
    > downloading a program, it made you go out and actually buy it.. who
    > got hurt in that case then?
    > So, feel free to add comments - i'm really interested on what your
    > opinions are..

    Over a thousand titles? Thats a lot. I dont believe you. A title a week
    for 20 years?

    Anyway, if you want to pirate SW, far better using eMule.

    Personally I dont trust any of that stuff and always purchase
    legitimately : preferably via download online. Initiatives like Steam
    make it a lot more convenient to purchase and maintain SW.

    Schrodinger wrote:

    > I think there are too many mediocre titles around without demos and consumer
    > abuses like Steam for warez to be intrinsically bad.

    So : by this "rational" it's ok to steal a Skoda, but not a Mercedes?

    Whatever.

    Also interesting that you trip up over yourself : Hl2, hosted by Steam,
    is GOTY many times over (proven quality) and has a free huge demo for
    people try. You warez heads : really ought to stay off the spliff.

    "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Schrodinger wrote:
    >>
    >> I think there are too many mediocre titles around without demos and
    >> consumer abuses like Steam for warez to be intrinsically bad.
    >>

    > So : by this "rational" it's ok to steal a Skoda, but not a Mercedes?

    See my later definition. This would deprive the owner of the Skoda of its
    use.

    > Whatever.
    >
    > Also interesting that you trip up over yourself : Hl2, hosted by Steam, is
    > GOTY many times over (proven quality) and has a free huge demo for people
    > try. You warez heads : really ought to stay off the spliff.

    I'm not a warez head and, FYI, am opposed to the use of non legal drugs for
    many reasons. You should also know from all my gripes about steam and other
    copy protection systems that I buy games.

    I probably buy 2 games a month on average. I do occasionally use warez if
    it's a game I would never buy anyway.

    Everyone has their own system of morals. I never, ever, speed whilst
    driving. Many people do, but this is seen as less serious than copying the
    odd game. One kills, the other has no effect. Go figure.

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:32:31 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@1way.com> wrote:

    >I probably buy 2 games a month on average. I do occasionally use warez if
    >it's a game I would never buy anyway.

    While there is some argument for trying a warez version if there is no
    demo available and then buying it if you like it, my position is that
    if a game is worth playing it is worth paying for. Good games are
    getting scarce and the developers should be rewarded for making the
    effort to write them.

    > Still doing bongs Free?

    No, but you?

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:43:01 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@1way.com> wrote:
    >For someone to argue it is theft - I am not so sure. Theft to me is when, by
    >taking something, you have deprived somebody else of the ability to use it.
    >This is clearly not the case for media like this.

    In the UK the theft act has been shown to be sufficiently 'open' enough
    to support a prosecution of theft where downloading software is
    considered (as it includes intangible property, ownership by proprietary
    right or interest, and 'permanently deprive' is defined as using it as
    your own), but it's the uploader who is usually considered the thief (as
    they are the one 'disposing' of the other's rights of ownership).
    Handling stolen property has not been shown to apply to a downloader of
    an already pirated software.

    http://www.swarb.co.uk/acts/1968TheftAct.shtml

    Software theft via downloading is usually pursued as copyright
    infringment at the mo.

    --
    Alfie
    <http://www.delphia.co.uk/>
    Philosophy is a battle against the bewitchment of our intelligence by means of language.

    Schrodinger wrote:
    > "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >>Schrodinger wrote:
    >>
    >>>I think there are too many mediocre titles around without demos and
    >>>consumer abuses like Steam for warez to be intrinsically bad.
    >>>

    >>So : by this "rational" it's ok to steal a Skoda, but not a Mercedes?
    >

    > See my later definition. This would deprive the owner of the Skoda of its
    > use.
    >

    >>Whatever.
    >>
    >>Also interesting that you trip up over yourself : Hl2, hosted by Steam, is
    >>GOTY many times over (proven quality) and has a free huge demo for people
    >>try. You warez heads : really ought to stay off the spliff.
    >

    > I'm not a warez head and, FYI, am opposed to the use of non legal drugs for
    > many reasons. You should also know from all my gripes about steam and other
    > copy protection systems that I buy games.
    >
    > I probably buy 2 games a month on average. I do occasionally use warez if
    > it's a game I would never buy anyway.
    >
    > Everyone has their own system of morals. I never, ever, speed whilst
    > driving. Many people do, but this is seen as less serious than copying the
    > odd game. One kills, the other has no effect. Go figure.

    Stealing SW using Warez does have an affect. You can bluster all day
    long about how you wouldn't have bought it anyway - thats sure as hell
    not going to help everyone whose getting prosecuted at the moment for
    ripping movie DVDs off using p2p nets.

    --
    Walter Mitty
    -

    Thusly "Schrodinger" <no@1way.com> Spake Unto All:

    >connect 2 tape machines together to copy the latest game. The games
    >industry now rivals the movie industry for revenues.

    The CONSOLE games industry. Because it isn't nearly as hard hit by
    piracy.

    Mean_Chlorine wrote:
    > Thusly "Schrodinger" <no@1way.com> Spake Unto All:
    >

    >>connect 2 tape machines together to copy the latest game. The games
    >>industry now rivals the movie industry for revenues.
    >

    > The CONSOLE games industry. Because it isn't nearly as hard hit by
    > piracy.

    Game. Set and Match.

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 "Schrodinger" wrote:

    > I probably buy 2 games a month on average. I do occasionally use warez if

    its all the same! you could buy 20 games a month and you would also have
    no excuse to pirate games!
    there is no excuse to pirate games! period!

    and btw i hope the games you buy and own you don't lend to anyone!
    lending is also piracy!

    > it's a game I would never buy anyway.

    completely wrong!
    you pay a game to play it! not to test it! ok!
    don't use "testing games" to excuse piracy! cause it aint excusable!
    you test pc games with a demo if available, with screenshots if available
    with trailers if available, with videos with available or by talking with
    other pc gamers! but never do it will full version cause for that YOU
    MUST PAY!

    > Everyone has their own system of morals. I never, ever, speed whilst
    > driving. Many people do, but this is seen as less serious than copying the
    > odd game. One kills, the other has no effect. Go figure.

    don't come with that moral stuff and don't try to again give some lame
    excuse for your behavior
    any kind of piracy is wrong!
    YOU PAY GAMES TO PLAY NOT TO TEST!
    YOU ARE NOT THE JUDGE FOR WHETHER A DEVELOPER DESERVES MONEY!
    you pay to play! period!
    you don't pay you don't play! period!
    ITS THAT SIMPLE!

    and you know why the morals are not applicable to this, its cause if
    you were a REAL PC GAMER, someone who REAL LOVED PC GAMES he would never
    do anything to damage what we really loves

    so its not morals but instead, you don't like pc games, you only want to
    take advantage of them

    this group should have a ZERO TOLERANCE policy to anything promoting and
    supporting piracy
    i'm totally for freedom of speech but promoting and supporting piracy is
    not, its simply committing an illegal and damaging act to everyone in
    this group

    --
    its only in the hands of every pc gamer defend what he likes the most
    its only pc gamers who will lose with piracy cause the publishers and

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Walter Mitty wrote:

    > Anyway, if you want to pirate SW, far better using eMule.
    > legitimately: preferably via download online. Initiatives like Steam
    > make it a lot more convenient to purchase and maintain SW.

    i always knew there was a strong connection between steam and warez p2p
    steam and warez p2p are both "evil" brothers alike
    both are "dirty"
    both use internet wrongly
    both target false pc gamers who don't give a damn about packaging
    both damage pc games
    both must be stoped

    so its without any type of surprise i see you wally defending both in
    the same post, and it only gives me even more strenght to:
    FIGHT STEAM!
    FIGHT PIRACY!
    FIGHTING PIRACY IS FIGHTING STEAM!
    FIGHTING STEAM IS FIGHTING PIRACY!

    --

    mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk left a note on my windscreen which said:

    > > Software theft via downloading is usually pursued as copyright
    > > infringment at the mo.
    >
    > As it should be, IMO.

    What about Tupperwarez theft?
    --
    Stoneskin

    [Insert sig text here]
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:15:24 +0100, Walter Mitty
    <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >ubertoadie@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    >>

    >Over a thousand titles? Thats a lot. I dont believe you. A title a week
    >for 20 years?
    >
    >Anyway, if you want to pirate SW, far better using eMule.
    >
    >Personally I dont trust any of that stuff and always purchase
    >legitimately : preferably via download online. Initiatives like Steam
    >make it a lot more convenient to purchase and maintain SW.

    Believe what you want.. and who said anything about a title a week? -
    not me.. in the last week alone i've bought 8 games and that's not
    includng what i buy for my PS2. I do have over 1000 games all store
    bought and i have the receipts to prove it too..
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    ubertoadie@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:15:24 +0100, Walter Mitty
    > <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>ubertoadie@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    >>
    >>Over a thousand titles? Thats a lot. I dont believe you. A title a week
    >>for 20 years?
    >>
    >>Anyway, if you want to pirate SW, far better using eMule.
    >>
    >>Personally I dont trust any of that stuff and always purchase
    >>legitimately : preferably via download online. Initiatives like Steam
    >>make it a lot more convenient to purchase and maintain SW.
    >

    > Believe what you want.. and who said anything about a title a week? -
    > not me.. in the last week alone i've bought 8 games and that's not
    > includng what i buy for my PS2. I do have over 1000 games all store
    > bought and i have the receipts to prove it too..

    You have over a thousand receipts? somehow I think that is not true.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    ubertoadie@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:15:24 +0100, Walter Mitty
    > <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>ubertoadie@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    >>
    >>Over a thousand titles? Thats a lot. I dont believe you. A title a week
    >>for 20 years?
    >>
    >>Anyway, if you want to pirate SW, far better using eMule.
    >>
    >>Personally I dont trust any of that stuff and always purchase
    >>legitimately : preferably via download online. Initiatives like Steam
    >>make it a lot more convenient to purchase and maintain SW.
    >

    > Believe what you want.. and who said anything about a title a week? -
    > not me.. in the last week alone i've bought 8 games and that's not
    > includng what i buy for my PS2. I do have over 1000 games all store
    > bought and i have the receipts to prove it too..

    Which games and how much were they? There are some great bargains to be
    had. With all that money though, why would you ever warez anything?
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    In article <iWpRd.4286$831.2947@fe27.usenetserver.com>, dan@work.com
    says...

    > You have over a thousand receipts? somehow I think that is not true.

    Sure. When I go to the store tomorrow and grab 5 games out of the bargin
    bin, they ALWAYS print up a separate receipt for each one.

    duh.

    MRSisson
    --
    LOAD "GPL",8

    SEARCHING FOR GPL
    READY.
    RUN
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thusly Stoneskin <no@thanks.com> Spake Unto All:

    >> > Software theft via downloading is usually pursued as copyright
    >> > infringment at the mo.
    >>
    >> As it should be, IMO.
    >
    >What about Tupperwarez theft?

    I hate that. I keep telling them: cash, not plastic.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Dan S wrote:
    > ubertoadie@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:15:24 +0100, Walter Mitty
    >> <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >>

    >>> ubertoadie@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Over a thousand titles? Thats a lot. I dont believe you. A title a
    >>> week for 20 years?
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, if you want to pirate SW, far better using eMule.
    >>>
    >>> Personally I dont trust any of that stuff and always purchase
    >>> legitimately : preferably via download online. Initiatives like Steam
    >>> make it a lot more convenient to purchase and maintain SW.
    >>

    >> Believe what you want.. and who said anything about a title a week? -
    >> not me.. in the last week alone i've bought 8 games and that's not
    >> includng what i buy for my PS2. I do have over 1000 games all store
    >> bought and i have the receipts to prove it too..
    >

    > You have over a thousand receipts? somehow I think that is not true.

    I tend to slip my receipts into either the original game box or behind
    one of the inserts of the jewel case. That way in case a rebate is
    offered at the store or a 'gold edition' I have the proof of purchase
    necessary to claim the rebate. Still I too am skeptical that someone
    would have over a *thousand* receipts as well but that's beside the
    overall point of his post.

    --
    best regards, mat
    np: [winamp not running]

    www.pdxshows.net
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:55:36 -0600, Dan S <dan@work.com> wrote:

    >ubertoadie@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    >> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:15:24 +0100, Walter Mitty
    >> <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >>

    >>>ubertoadie@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Over a thousand titles? Thats a lot. I dont believe you. A title a week
    >>>for 20 years?
    >>>
    >>>Anyway, if you want to pirate SW, far better using eMule.
    >>>
    >>>Personally I dont trust any of that stuff and always purchase
    >>>legitimately : preferably via download online. Initiatives like Steam
    >>>make it a lot more convenient to purchase and maintain SW.
    >>

    >> Believe what you want.. and who said anything about a title a week? -
    >> not me.. in the last week alone i've bought 8 games and that's not
    >> includng what i buy for my PS2. I do have over 1000 games all store
    >> bought and i have the receipts to prove it too..
    >
    >You have over a thousand receipts? somehow I think that is not true.

    Even if those thousand receipts aren't kept, a legitimate collection of at
    least 1000 games is plausable:

    Old games on floppies can be copied onto CD-ROMs to conserve space. 400
    floppies = 1 CD. Also, jewelcases are bulky - you should get one of
    those CD folders that can store 100 CDs each.

    There are also bundled games packages for a low price (e.g. Project IGI,
    Spec Ops, Commandos and Beach Head 2000 appeared in one bundle.) These
    will rapidly increase your game count.

    And if you want to cheat, you can purchase those shareware compilation CDs,
    which generally contain 10+ games. (There was one which stored 1000+ games
    on two CDs, but they included Tunnels of Armageddeon - something that isn't
    exactly shareware.)
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "sayNO2piracy" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 "Schrodinger" wrote:
    >
    >> I probably buy 2 games a month on average. I do occasionally use warez
    >> if
    >
    > its all the same! you could buy 20 games a month and you would also have
    > no excuse to pirate games!
    > there is no excuse to pirate games! period!
    >
    > and btw i hope the games you buy and own you don't lend to anyone!
    > lending is also piracy!
    >
    >> it's a game I would never buy anyway.
    >
    > completely wrong!
    > you pay a game to play it! not to test it! ok!
    > don't use "testing games" to excuse piracy! cause it aint excusable!
    > you test pc games with a demo if available, with screenshots if available
    > with trailers if available, with videos with available or by talking with
    > other pc gamers! but never do it will full version cause for that YOU
    > MUST PAY!
    >
    >> Everyone has their own system of morals. I never, ever, speed whilst
    >> driving. Many people do, but this is seen as less serious than copying
    >> the
    >> odd game. One kills, the other has no effect. Go figure.
    >
    > don't come with that moral stuff and don't try to again give some lame
    > excuse for your behavior
    > any kind of piracy is wrong!
    > YOU PAY GAMES TO PLAY NOT TO TEST!
    > YOU ARE NOT THE JUDGE FOR WHETHER A DEVELOPER DESERVES MONEY!
    > you pay to play! period!
    > you don't pay you don't play! period!
    > ITS THAT SIMPLE!
    >
    > and you know why the morals are not applicable to this, its cause if
    > you were a REAL PC GAMER, someone who REAL LOVED PC GAMES he would never
    > do anything to damage what we really loves
    >
    > so its not morals but instead, you don't like pc games, you only want to
    > take advantage of them
    >
    > this group should have a ZERO TOLERANCE policy to anything promoting and
    > supporting piracy
    > i'm totally for freedom of speech but promoting and supporting piracy is
    > not, its simply committing an illegal and damaging act to everyone in
    > this group
    >
    > --
    > its only in the hands of every pc gamer defend what he likes the most
    > its only pc gamers who will lose with piracy cause the publishers and
    > developers will find other businesses to work in without being robbed

    Haha. You're difool and I don't care what you say.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > Schrodinger wrote:
    >> "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    >>>So : by this "rational" it's ok to steal a Skoda, but not a Mercedes?
    >>

    >> See my later definition. This would deprive the owner of the Skoda of
    >> its use.
    >>

    >>>Whatever.
    >>>
    >>>Also interesting that you trip up over yourself : Hl2, hosted by Steam,
    >>>is GOTY many times over (proven quality) and has a free huge demo for
    >>>people try. You warez heads : really ought to stay off the spliff.
    >>

    >> I'm not a warez head and, FYI, am opposed to the use of non legal drugs
    >> for many reasons. You should also know from all my gripes about steam
    >> and other copy protection systems that I buy games.
    >>
    >> I probably buy 2 games a month on average. I do occasionally use warez
    >> if it's a game I would never buy anyway.
    >>
    >> Everyone has their own system of morals. I never, ever, speed whilst
    >> driving. Many people do, but this is seen as less serious than copying
    >> the odd game. One kills, the other has no effect. Go figure.
    >
    > Stealing SW using Warez does have an affect. You can bluster all day long
    > about how you wouldn't have bought it anyway - thats sure as hell not
    > going to help everyone whose getting prosecuted at the moment for ripping
    > movie DVDs off using p2p nets.

    Well, I guess that's a different side of the argument. As I don't upload
    warez I think I'm safe. If I stop posting for a year or so you'll know
    "they" have got me and you can feel smug about it.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:32:31 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@1way.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I probably buy 2 games a month on average. I do occasionally use warez if
    >>it's a game I would never buy anyway.
    >
    > While there is some argument for trying a warez version if there is no
    > demo available and then buying it if you like it, my position is that
    > if a game is worth playing it is worth paying for. Good games are
    > getting scarce and the developers should be rewarded for making the
    > effort to write them.
    > --

    You have a good point Andrew.

    There is an argument - which I don't subscribe to - along the lines of this;

    If everybody uses warez then I am a fool not to, as everyone else is anyway
    and my using it makes no difference.

    If I am the only one using Warez, then things are ok in any case and my use
    makes no difference.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Dan S" <dan@work.com> wrote in message
    > ubertoadie@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    >> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:15:24 +0100, Walter Mitty
    >> <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >>

    >>>ubertoadie@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Over a thousand titles? Thats a lot. I dont believe you. A title a week
    >>>for 20 years?
    >>>
    >>>Anyway, if you want to pirate SW, far better using eMule.
    >>>
    >>>Personally I dont trust any of that stuff and always purchase
    >>>legitimately : preferably via download online. Initiatives like Steam
    >>>make it a lot more convenient to purchase and maintain SW.
    >>

    >> Believe what you want.. and who said anything about a title a week? -
    >> not me.. in the last week alone i've bought 8 games and that's not
    >> includng what i buy for my PS2. I do have over 1000 games all store
    >> bought and i have the receipts to prove it too..
    >
    > You have over a thousand receipts? somehow I think that is not true.

    I can believe the number of games bit. I can see over 100 games around my
    computer here and I have a clear out every couple of years at most. Having
    bought games for over 20 years, 1000 would not be hard to accumulate.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    <ubertoadie@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > Hi to the group..
    >
    > Fairly simple question.. where do you 'stand' on the 'warez' scene.
    <snip>

    IMO The warez scene serves no purpose other than to deal in the illegal
    transfer of software.

    If a gamer wants to determine if a game is worth buying, get the demo and
    read the reviews.
    If a gamer doesn't have the $ to drop on Doom3, wait till it goes in the
    bargin bin.
    If a gamer just can't wait for it to go in the bargin bin, visit your
    doctor.
    If a gamer is worried that the game won't run on his pc, don't buy it.

    Having said all of the above, IMO it's only a matter of time before they
    start to not only go after the folks hosting the web sites, but also those
    that are d/ling. Similar to what RIAA is doing with music pirates.

    Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time.
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

    >Not to anywhere near the same degree, no.

    Are you kidding? Check out the XBox binary newsgroups sometime. Just
    as bad as PC ... games pirated the day they are in stores, sometimes
    sooner.

    Joe
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Walter Mitty wrote:
    >
    > > Anyway, if you want to pirate SW, far better using eMule.
    > > legitimately: preferably via download online. Initiatives like Steam
    > > make it a lot more convenient to purchase and maintain SW.
    >
    > i always knew there was a strong connection between steam and warez p2p
    > steam and warez p2p are both "evil" brothers alike
    > both are "dirty"
    > both use internet wrongly
    > both target false pc gamers who don't give a damn about packaging
    > both damage pc games
    > both must be stoped
    >
    > so its without any type of surprise i see you wally defending both in
    > the same post, and it only gives me even more strenght to:
    > FIGHT STEAM!
    > FIGHT PIRACY!
    > FIGHTING PIRACY IS FIGHTING STEAM!
    > FIGHTING STEAM IS FIGHTING PIRACY!
    >
    > --

    And there it is.
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Joe62" wrote

    > mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

    >>Not to anywhere near the same degree, no.

    > Are you kidding? Check out the XBox binary newsgroups sometime. Just
    > as bad as PC ... games pirated the day they are in stores, sometimes
    > sooner.

    You conveniently forgot to mention:

    1) XBoxes need their hardware modified before they can play pirated games.
    2) The gamer will have their 'Live' account cancelled if they connect
    without 'turning off' the chip first.

    PC gamers merely have to download a file. They don't even need a CD/DVD
    writer.
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Schrodinger" wrote

    > You have a good point Andrew.

    > There is an argument - which I don't subscribe to - along the lines of
    > this;

    > If everybody uses warez then I am a fool not to, as everyone else is
    > anyway and my using it makes no difference.

    > If I am the only one using Warez, then things are ok in any case and my
    > use makes no difference.

    That doesn't even begin to make sense.

    What about the cases where there are [2, 3, 4, .. everybody-1] people using
    warez?
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 18 Feb 2005, mmaker@my-deja.com wrote:

    <snip worthless pro-steam propaganda>

    no sir, i will not waste my time replying to you
    i know why you support piracy in retail pc games
    i know why you say cd copy protections don't work in any pc
    i know why you say pc games are dead
    its cause you are pro-steam, and steam is all that, is wanting to
    kill retail pc games and becoming the monopoly in pc games

    again new evidence that pro-steam and connected to piracy
    every day i find something new about steam
    my stay and reading this group has been the best so i can have all
    the info to fight steam and don't become a zombie like valve gamer

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    against steam campaign
    http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

    steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
    http://www.steamwatch.org/

  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thusly Joe62 <NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> Spake Unto All:

    >mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    >
    >>Not to anywhere near the same degree, no.
    >
    >Are you kidding? Check out the XBox binary newsgroups sometime. Just
    >as bad as PC ...

    No, I'm not kidding, and the binary newsgroup is yesterdays way to
    spread warez.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in

    > No, I'm not kidding, and the binary newsgroup is yesterdays way to
    > spread warez.

    Why do you say that? The newsgroups seem to be going strong.

    --
    The Soliphist asks...
    What assertion do you make to validate your existence?

    "PE" <nospam@none.non> wrote in message

    <snip>> > FIGHTING PIRACY IS FIGHTING STEAM!
    > > FIGHTING STEAM IS FIGHTING PIRACY!
    > >

    > And there it is.

    Wow!
    You are amazing!
    You have psyche powers!
    Quick, what's the lotto numbers for tonite! ;)
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

    finally i see you confronting some thieves in this group!
    it was late but i congratulate you for at last doing it!
    i hope you put as much dedication in this than what you
    have done for steam

    i told you before, when it comes to piracy it doesn't matter
    if you are pro or anti steam cause we are all pc gamers and
    know the damage it does

    ps: even congratulating you for your post i feel bad seeing
    that in most replies you do to my posts when dealing with
    steam you show much more agressive and direct than you where
    with that pirate thief

    --
    support the ones that work hard so you can have great gaming moments
    be proud of buying pc games and giving developers the deserved reward

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005, Jesse wrote:

    > I have literally dozens of games and apps on my computer that I got for free

    <snip rest of yet another self confessed pirate thief>

    this is a plague!
    and they got the nerve to come to this group and say in our faces
    that they steal, they are proud of it and defend every one should
    do the same
    i'm almost having an heart attack seeing the complete careless this
    group has shown for pc games!

    GOD DAMN IT! ISN'T THIS GROUP ABOUT PC GAMES OR ABOUT KILLING PC GAMES???

    --
    support the ones that work hard so you can have great gaming moments
    be proud of buying pc games and giving developers the deserved reward
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    sayNO2steam wrote:
    > no sir, i will not waste my time replying to you

    Then, um, why are you replying?

    > its cause you are pro-steam, and steam is all that, is wanting to
    > kill retail pc games and becoming the monopoly in pc games

    In what way could Steam possibly 'become the monopoly in PC games'
    unless every other game developer decided it was the best system to
    use? If other companies don't want to use it they can use their own
    systems: and I would hope that they do, given the flaws in the Steam
    design.

    Mark
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > On Sat, 19 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
    >
    > finally i see you confronting some thieves in this group!
    > it was late but i congratulate you for at last doing it!
    > i hope you put as much dedication in this than what you
    > have done for steam

    Sorry but I was eating supper and Desparate House Wifes was on TV and I was
    doing the dishes, ...

    As to Steam, someone has to provide counter points to your statements. ;)

    > i told you before, when it comes to piracy it doesn't matter
    > if you are pro or anti steam cause we are all pc gamers and
    > know the damage it does
    >
    > ps: even congratulating you for your post i feel bad seeing
    > that in most replies you do to my posts when dealing with
    > steam you show much more agressive and direct than you where
    > with that pirate thief

    When the OldDog barks, look at his tail.
    If its wagging, he's not mad.
    If his tail isn't wagging, back away from the dog.
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Against it.

    Yes I think I have downloaded warez a few times but then Im against many
    things that I cant truthfully say Ive never done. But I am against it, I
    condemn it when I hear it being suggested, and I report it when I see it.
    Its a blight on the gaming community which should be stamped out by the
    gaming community whenever possible.

    Gandalf Parker
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > There is an argument - which I don't subscribe to - along the lines of
    > this;
    >
    > If everybody uses warez then I am a fool not to, as everyone else is
    > anyway and my using it makes no difference.
    >
    > If I am the only one using Warez, then things are ok in any case and
    > my use makes no difference.

    But this argument doesn't work, as the actual number of warez users is
    somewhere between "everybody" and "just me".

    Or maybe I'm not getting it ... exactly what is being argued here?

    stePH
    --
    If it cannot break the egg's shell, a chick will die without being born.
    We are the chick. The world is our egg.

    "i own a yacht" wrote

    > Vince wrote:

    >> 1) XBoxes need their hardware modified before they can play pirated
    >> games.

    > and? you can buy them online premodded. if someone knows they'll be
    > pirating games, it's real easy to obtain a modified unit or have it
    > modified.

    >> 2) The gamer will have their 'Live' account cancelled if they connect
    >> without 'turning off' the chip first.

    >> PC gamers merely have to download a file. They don't even need a CD/DVD
    >> writer.

    > they have to do more than download a file. and you have to do more to
    > get games going on a PC regardless. if people can handle that, they can
    > certainly figure out the complexities of console piracy.

    Sorry. I don't think I explained myself properly.

    PC pirating = just software.

    XBox pirating = chipped hardware + DVD writer needed. Plus they must
    remember to disable the chip everytime they go online.

    I'ts obvious which is the simplest of the two.
  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > "sayNO2piracy" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> FIGHT STEAM!
    >> FIGHT PIRACY!
    >> FIGHTING PIRACY IS FIGHTING STEAM!
    >> FIGHTING STEAM IS FIGHTING PIRACY!

    WAR IS PEACE.
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY.
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.
    WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AT WAR WITH EASTASIA.

    stePH
    --
    If it cannot break the egg's shell, a chick will die without being born.
    We are the chick. The world is our egg.
    If we cannot break the world's shell, we will die without being born.
    Smash the world's shell! For the revolution of the world!
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    It's sort of hard to stand on warez. Unless you burn them to a CD
    first I suppose.

    Ok seriously, I think warez does hurt game companies, but it's not as
    simple as "1 warez copy = 1 lost sale".
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thusly "Mr. Stabby" <control_z@hotmail.com> Spake Unto All:

    > Ok seriously, I think warez does hurt game companies, but it's not as
    >simple as "1 warez copy = 1 lost sale".

    True.
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "stePH" <acetheta@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > "Schrodinger" <no@1way.com> wrote in
    >

    >> There is an argument - which I don't subscribe to - along the lines of
    >> this;
    >>
    >> If everybody uses warez then I am a fool not to, as everyone else is
    >> anyway and my using it makes no difference.
    >>
    >> If I am the only one using Warez, then things are ok in any case and
    >> my use makes no difference.
    >
    > But this argument doesn't work, as the actual number of warez users is
    > somewhere between "everybody" and "just me".
    >
    > Or maybe I'm not getting it ... exactly what is being argued here?
    >

    > stePH
    > --

    I think what is being argued is that one person does not make any
    difference. If someone retorts by saying "yes, but what if everyone said
    that?", then the reply could be one of the above...
  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    sayNO2piracy <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> once tried to test me with:

    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 "Schrodinger" wrote:
    >
    >> I probably buy 2 games a month on average. I do occasionally use
    >> warez if
    >
    > its all the same! you could buy 20 games a month and you would also
    > have no excuse to pirate games!
    > there is no excuse to pirate games! period!
    >
    > and btw i hope the games you buy and own you don't lend to anyone!
    > lending is also piracy!

    Get stuffed troll. Lending is not piracy. If I uninstall a game off my
    computer and give it to my buddy and he installs it and plays it and then
    when he is done he uninstalls it and gives it back, no piracy has been
    committed. That may violate certain draconian EULAs but free-clue-time:
    EULA <> LAW.

    >> it's a game I would never buy anyway.
    >
    > completely wrong!
    > you pay a game to play it! not to test it! ok!
    > don't use "testing games" to excuse piracy! cause it aint excusable!
    > you test pc games with a demo if available, with screenshots if
    > available with trailers if available, with videos with available or by
    > talking with other pc gamers! but never do it will full version cause
    > for that YOU MUST PAY!

    It's okay if I borrow a game to test it.

    > and you know why the morals are not applicable to this, its cause if
    > you were a REAL PC GAMER, someone who REAL LOVED PC GAMES he would
    > never do anything to damage what we really loves

    This is about the only part of your rant that makes sense.

    However, lending or borrowing a game is no damage to PC gaming, it actually
    helps it by exposing someone else to the game.

    And furthermore, if someone ACTUALLY only uses a warez copy of a game to
    see if it runs on his PC and try it out for a reasonable time (say an hour
    or two), and based on that they buy the game or delete it, that's not
    hurting the PC Gaming industry, it's actually helping it by giving games
    more exposure. But what hurts it are people who download the warez version
    and then install it, play it, finish it, give it to their friends, who
    install it, play it, finish it, etc. etc. That is no longer "free
    advertising" for the game, it's then become a substitute for actually
    buying the game, which is what actually HURTS the industry.

    Of course, I think using a demo is a better and certainly legal way to test
    a game. But not all games have demos.

    > this group should have a ZERO TOLERANCE policy to anything promoting
    > and supporting piracy

    It pretty much does.

    > i'm totally for freedom of speech but promoting and supporting piracy
    > is not, its simply committing an illegal and damaging act to everyone
    > in this group

    Uh, whatever. Go back to Police State thank you.

    > its only in the hands of every pc gamer defend what he likes the most
    > its only pc gamers who will lose with piracy cause the publishers and
    > developers will find other businesses to work in without being robbed

    This sentence doesn't even make sense. I think your medication is wearing
    off.

    --

    Knight37

PC gaming Software Video Games Product