aubrey08

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
recently saw these ethernet hdmi cables at the store and thought it was cool now im using a regualr ethernet cable running from my router to my pc, what would be the diffrence in speed ect, if i were to purchase and use hdmi instead?

Solution

This router is a perfect example of the issue of port limitation.

All the ethernet ports can only run 100m maximum but it can run 300m wireless. Not going to work real well if a wireless PC running at 300m tries to push 300m of data though a 100m connection.

The reason it works is because 300m is a lie that you only get in a lab.

Almost any ethernet cable you could find will run to 100m which is the maximum your router can do. Even if you had a better router than could do 1G almost any ethernet cable will work fine.

I am assuming you are running at 10m because you have a...
Your speed in general is limited by the end devices not the cable. So if your device can only run 100m does it make any difference if the cable runs 1g 10g or whatever as long as it is more than 100m. In theory you could run 10g over a HDMI cable but then the question comes can you afford a PC that can actually produce 10g of data.

This router is a perfect example of the issue of port limitation.

All the ethernet ports can only run 100m maximum but it can run 300m wireless. Not going to work real well if a wireless PC running at 300m tries to push 300m of data though a 100m connection.

The reason it works is because 300m is a lie that you only get in a lab.

Almost any ethernet cable you could find will run to 100m which is the maximum your router can do. Even if you had a better router than could do 1G almost any ethernet cable will work fine.

I am assuming you are running at 10m because you have a modem that is limited to 10m before your router. Which most likely doesn't matter since even if you replace the modem then you have the wires that go to the ISP that are more lan likely limited in speed.

Best example I can give is say you have a small car that can run 100mph maximum. If you take it to a high speed race track will it run any faster than on a highway...assuming the cops don't get you. This is why you must be very careful about network speed calculation. The slowest device/cable in the path set the speed no matter how good the other parts are.

Solution